Author Topic: I Have A Troubled Son. What should I do?  (Read 27583 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I Have A Troubled Son. What should I do?
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2007, 05:08:21 PM »
Quote from: ""George Costanza""
Quote from: ""Guest""
In some families that would be worse than a program!!!
Yeah, like mine...

So you support sending kids to programs?  I am so confused.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2007, 05:29:41 PM »
Quote from: ""LMK""
I am so confused.

There are medications for that!!!

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2007, 08:47:43 PM »
http://www.ombudsman.com/

alternative education... mostly computer based with some basic skills offered in the program
check out to see if there are locations near you.  basically in the ombudsman program the kid goes to school at the ombudsman facility (usually in a strip mall of some sort) teh kid stays in school for a max of 3 hours, then he/she goes home.

Offline Ganja

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2007, 08:53:38 PM »
"Besides his bein' kinda crazy, they called him the Smoking Loon 'cause he was so dam' efficient," Jake began, stubbing out his cigar. "He'd take care of business an' get in an' out before anybody's see him comin'...leavin no trace 'cept the lingering sound of his eerie, loon-like cackle. No one was really sure who he was or who he worked for, but when word got out someone needed his services, the Smoking Loon just appeared on their doorstep, like outta thin air or somethin'".

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2007, 02:42:32 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""LMK""
Is it possible for you to homeschool the chap for the rest of the year?  Public and private and rtc are not the only three option here.  At least until summer, he would not get behind if you are able to think outside the box and homeschool.  Just saying.

Home school could work wonders for the whole family.  Even if they sacrifice and do it for just this semester.

That's a possibility, but it would isolate him from all contact with other kids. I can't let him go other places alone, like the mall, so I'm afraid home schooling would worsen his depression.

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2007, 02:47:20 PM »
Quote from: ""mbnh31782""
http://www.ombudsman.com/

alternative education... mostly computer based with some basic skills offered in the program
check out to see if there are locations near you.  basically in the ombudsman program the kid goes to school at the ombudsman facility (usually in a strip mall of some sort) teh kid stays in school for a max of 3 hours, then he/she goes home.

The program looks good, and surprisingly, there is a location in our city. This could be the ticket. I've requested info.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2007, 02:55:39 PM »
Quote from: ""Dad Trying""
I can't let him go other places alone, like the mall,

Wow, I was wondering why he hates you. Now I know!

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2007, 03:07:36 PM »
Update on my son:

started day program this AM. Got there late because he didn't want to get up. Last night we had a pretty good family session before he left the brief 7 day inpatient program. On the way home he screamed in my face because I wouldn't let him use my cell to call his friends (their numbers are blocked at home). Later last night he got on the computer and blew up when he saw I had restricted his access so that he couldn't get on myspace. He screamed a while and said he might as well end it now and he hung his body half-way off the 2nd floor balcony. I ignored him and he came downstairs and went into a rage and started pummeling my face as I lie on the couch. I took psy's suggestion and let him hit me some more after I got off the couch as he yelled, "You sent me to that place."  Then I grabbed him and told him I wasn't going to hit him back. Then asked him if it made him feel good to hit his dad in the face. He said, "no." He was calm the rest of the night, but I think he stayed up most of the night trying to 'catch up' on TV and playing video games. He wouldn't go to bed at 11:00. Trying to force him to go to bed results in a fight and defeats the purpose.

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2007, 03:09:30 PM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penalty""

Thanks a lot. He gets with drug dealers and rides around town smoking pot when I leave him alone at the mall.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »
Update on my son:

started day program this AM. Got there late because he didn't want to get up. Last night we had a pretty good family session before he left the brief 7 day inpatient program. On the way home he screamed in my face because I wouldn't let him use my cell to call his friends (their numbers are blocked at home). Later last night he got on the computer and blew up when he saw I had restricted his access so that he couldn't get on myspace. He screamed a while and said he might as well end it now and he hung his body half-way off the 2nd floor balcony. I ignored him and he came downstairs and went into a rage and started pummeling my face as I lie on the couch. I took psy's suggestion and let him hit me some more after I got off the couch as he yelled, "You sent me to that place."  Then I grabbed him and told him I wasn't going to hit him back. Then asked him if it made him feel good to hit his dad in the face. He said, "no." He was calm the rest of the night, but I think he stayed up most of the night trying to 'catch up' on TV and playing video games. He wouldn't go to bed at 11:00. Trying to force him to go to bed results in a fight and defeats the purpose.

what did he mean by "you sent me to that place"?

Oh.. and ignore milk if he acts like an asshole.  he does that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 03:13:22 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2007, 03:13:01 PM »
[troll10]

I bow to your skills.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2007, 03:17:10 PM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penalty""

Thanks a lot. He gets with drug dealers and rides around town smoking pot when I leave him alone at the mall.

Better lock him up then.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2007, 03:17:34 PM »
Oh fuck this bullshit. There's already about three fuckers out there pretending to be me and I'm not in the fucking mood for a fourth. Slice, waste this guy.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »
Him threatening to kill himself:

Program interpretation: Manipulation
 what happens: his attempts are ignored, on day he suceeds.  i've seen it happen

Psychologist's interpretation: Cry for Help
 what happens: he gets therapy, things improve

As for ombudsman:  sounds good.  It's part time and the kid lives at home.  It may give him something he feels he's good at.  What are his interests?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2007, 03:18:07 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""
Update on my son:

what did he mean by "you sent me to that place"?

Oh.. and ignore milk if he acts like an asshole.  he does that.

He was talking about the 7 day inpatient program he just got out of. He hated being "locked up." Guess he would really hate a TBS, huh?