Author Topic: Does anyone think AA is a cult?  (Read 10522 times)

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
Does anyone think AA is a cult?
« on: May 16, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »
If a cult is (partly) defined as a group that tells it's followers that their way is the *only* way to go, does that mean that AA and NA are cults?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »
Does anyone think it isn't?

Offline `

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »
ooh, this is always a fun topic!  :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »
Can I be coffee maker???? Pleeeassseee??

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »
Looks like I'm gonna need a whole new line of gremlins. . .

What is ominous is the ease with which some people go from saying that
they don't like something to saying that the government should forbid it. When you go down that road, don't expect freedom to survive very long.
--Thomas Sowell

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »
I vote for the "does anyone think it isn't?" as the reply of the year.   :nworthy:

Offline CEDU 1974-75

• View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »
O.K.,You got me.

I originally found this site by googling Cedu on the computer here at the community college.Since then I have spent several hours studying cult practices as they relate to so-called rehabilitation,so-called treatment,so-called behavior modification,so-called alcoholism,so-called drug addiction and all the other lame shit that goes along with sick and abusive nonsense in the guise of help.

I am and will probably remain, forever disgusted.

The sad conclusion that I have reached is that I have wasted an incredible amount of time in my life trying to understand something that is incomprehensible,trying to fit into a world that I didn't want to be a part of anyway(the so-called recovery world),and trying to change myself into something that various and random fuckheads thought I ought to be.

Being indoctrinated into cult practices at an early age left me vulnerable to the type of crap that AA slings around.Man... Do I hate to admit it,but I've fallen for more of this bullshit than just about anybody.

Fortunately,I've been able to gather alternative perspectives on these matters.Thanks in no small part to this website and it's contributors.

I have spent way to much time with AA.Is it a cult? You're Fuckin-A-Skippy.I won't be back.

Fortunately also, is the fact that AA is dying.The senile,drooling,slobbering old bitch is about gone.Good riddance to pedophile Buchman's cheesy con.One more dissatisfied customer and a handful of psyche-meds ought to just about do it.Throw dirt on it and piss on it's grave.
\"Work is love made visible\"

Offline RN on Board

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »
I've seen many young men die as a result of the devastating effects of alcohol on the gut, liver, pancrease and brain.  AA has helped many alcoholics including my own child.  People need to find the right meetings to go to.  I went to meeting with my child and thought it was the best thing I've seen in a long time. People helping each other - sharing their stories and giving support to one another.  

Alcoholics who hate AA continue down the path that leads to death.  AA has saved many lives and it's a worthwhile program with a proven track record....I recommend it all the time.  It's alot better than costly rehab programs or brutal residential programs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »
See, thats what I think is so annoying about the responses to this particular topic. So you believe AA is a cult. You also believe that programs are a cult among other things, which they are. They are abusive and not helpful because of that fact. But AA IS NOT ABUSIVE so calm the fuck down about it will ya? If it works for others wether you like it or not, then good for them I say. If the "cult" of AA didnt work for you, dont dog it just because you didnt get the help others got with it. Find a way that works for you and move the fuck on. I am so tired of this whole "AA sucks because I dont like how they run it." It isnt abusing people, it dosnt even come close to doing damage to people the way programs do, so let it go for gods sake! People on this forum talk about choice and how people shoudl be allowed and have the RIGHT to make their own choices but when someone chooses to get help in a non abusive way, you ridicule and act disgusted towards them. Come one now. What more do you want? They are getting help. Good for them. Lets move on. I apologize for getting so angry about it, but AA helps people I feel so it is annoying when people complain about programs needing to be shut down, but when there is an alternative to a program, they dog on it too.

Amanda
"That which does not kill me makes me stronger."
-Fredrich Nietzsche

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 11:59:00 PM »
On 2005-05-16 20:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

people shoudl be allowed and have the RIGHT to make their own choices...

Calm yourself, Amanda. People have a right to comment on things too. Nobody said anything about sending all the stepcraft cult members to concentration camps or anything.

I'm not even going to get into (yet again) the bogus success claims or the definition of a cult.

Why do stepcraft apologists always seems so strongly compelled to provide free attack therapy to anyone who criticizes the XA?

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
http://smack.accesscard.org/index/misc/atheist/' target='_new'>Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 12:07:00 AM »
On 2005-05-16 19:44:00, RN on Board wrote:

Alcoholics who hate AA continue down the path that leads to death.  AA has saved many lives and it's a worthwhile program with a proven track record....I recommend it all the time.  It's alot better than costly rehab programs or brutal residential programs.  "

Any proof of that? Cause Enoch Gordis spent around $25M (that used to be ours) researching and discovering that there's no difference in outcomes between people who "keep coming back" and those who blow it off as bullshit.

Here's one good doctor's write up on that:
http://www.schaler.net/fifth/selling.html

Lighthouses are more helpful then churches.
--Benjamin Franklin, American Founding Father, author, and inventor

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 12:09:00 AM »
"RN on board"-  do you ever recommend alternatives to AA?  Have you heard of Moderation Management, or would you ever recommend just moderating ones drinking?  I think that, with a bit of guidance and structure, many people can learn to moderate their drinking, without resorting to AA.  Are you saying that your *teenage* child was an alcoholic??  Teenagers, especially, should be taught moderation.  

Amanda- you are right, though.  AA is not abusive, not like those programs are.  And people should be free to find whatever works for them, (religious, educational, ect...) It's just that AA seems pretty extremist, and, like a cult, rejects any methods other than theirs.  

Thanks for the feedback.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »
Free attack therapy?

RMFLMAO...Ginger!

AA is a cult. Somthing doesn't have to be "abusive" to be a cult.

I think AA is silly, right down to watching 20 guys hold a AA meeting..IN THE BAR OF A WHOREHOUSE/HOTEL IN CENTRAL AMERICA.

hehe

Ginger knows the story, I sat down at the table with a beer and  OWNED all 20 of them in a debate about AA, and the whole place listened in. This may have been the most fun I ever had in an open debate!!!!

The silliest part to me is the testimonial Successes. Just like the bullshit program testimonials, 95% of them drink after their last successfull testimonial. That is why 20 year button is AA are rarer than a AA meeting without coffee, cigarrettes and cussing.

And the success rate of AA has been demonstrated at ZERO using AA's own internal documents.

AA....what a silly concept...Disease treatable with Cigarrettes, crying, self delusion and coffee!

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
On 2005-05-17 08:52:00, GregFL wrote:

Ginger knows the story, I sat down at the table with a beer and  OWNED all 20 of them in a debate about AA, and the whole place listened in. This may have been the most fun I ever had in an open debate!!!!

I would've paid good money to see that!! :lol:

btw....Penn & Teller's Bullshit is back on!!!  anyone catch the episode on AA last season?   Genius!!!

I cannot believe in the immortality of the soul.... No, all this talk of an existence for us, as individuals, beyond the grave is wrong. It is born of our tenacity of life -- our desire to go on living -- our dread of coming to an end.
--Thomas Edison, American inventor

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »
GregFl  raises hand...I saw it!

Gotta love those guys