Author Topic: Are you a believer in Cedu who was there in the 80's under M  (Read 12882 times)

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
Re: Are you a believer in Cedu who was there in the 80's under M
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2009, 11:36:24 PM »
Someone made mention of Charles Manson and CEDU and not seeing the connection.

When I was at RMA in 1984 I heard two stories.  One was about Manson and the other about a guy named Christopher Boyce.

Christopher Boyce was a Soviet spy who worked for TRW, a defense contractor, in the communications room.  He passed on secret communications information to the Soviets.  He ended up hiding out in Bonners Ferry before he was captured and sentenced.

Apparently Dan Krumptitch had known Christopher Boyce some years before and when Christopher Boyce came up to Idaho, he actually came to the farm house at RMA where Dan lived, and they did target practice with Christopher Boyce's 9mm at a log or something near the house.  Dan told me this story while I was there.

Then later, during our Final Voyage which went up to Katka and 4032, Dan pointed over to one of the nearby mountains and said that Charles Manson hung out there.  I think the name of the hilltop was called Two Tail, but it might have been Katka.  

I checked Wikipedia for a reference to this, but didn't find anything.  However at the very least Manson was nearby.  Maybe a little of his craziness rubbed off.

So two stories that put criminals on or within a couple of miles of Rocky Mountain Academy and one of them may have been Charles Manson.  Small world.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2009, 12:39:53 AM »
hmmmm... I wonder if Dan was a red.

That certainly would make him more interesting.

If this happened in the 80s, Im surprised the feds didn't check Dan out. I thought it was common practice to investigate associates of accused commies during the cold war era.

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »
We left Mc Carthyism in the past.  We replaced accusing commies with accusing teens.  Gulags of Siberia replaced with Teen Gulags in mountaintop retreats.  

It is hard to know Dan's background.  His last name suggests he was from Eastern Europe, Poland perhaps, which was inside the Warsaw Pact for many years.  And he knew Christopher Boyce had been a spy and yet told the story so matter-of-fact when mentioning how he had "hung out" with him during his days in Idaho.  Maybe he had a touch of commie in him.  RMA/CEDU sure seemed anti-American in many ways to me.  No Freedom.  

Freedom of Speech?  Nope.  Bans.

Right to Peacefully Assemble?  Nope.  More bans.

Right to be free in your person from unreasonable searches and seizures?  Ha!  They'd search and take whatever they wanted anytime they wanted.

Freedom of Religion?  As long as your religion was following their cult religion.

Safe in your correspondence?  Nope.  They'd read your mail, make you re-write it to their approval.  Open your incoming mail and read it too.  Usually not even delivering it unless it was from an approved list.

Secure in your communications?  Nope.  In violation of many federal communications laws they'd eavesdrop on your phone calls.

Right to refuse medical treatment?  Only if you were willing to go on full time as punishment.

Most schools in this country have a US Flag and even a state flag waving from a pole.  Don't remember ever seeing either at RMA.  Most schools teach US History.  The only history course I recall was sitting in front of a VCR and TV watching/sleeping through 20 hours of "The Ascent of Man".  

Yeah, they were all Commie Bastards!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2009, 07:51:35 AM »
There was also the "falcon and the snowman" snowman or falcon hanging out there before he was caught. that was just a few miles from cattle creek route 1.
and there was a firefight maybe when the suspect was aprrehended. there is a lot of corollary to escape in them there hills.

Offline RMA Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »
Yeah, the movie "The Falcon and the Snowman" was all about Christopher Boyce and Andrew Daulton Lee who was a friend of his.  Idaho sure seems a place for whack jobs to go to hang out.  Hard to know if Dan knew he was a fugitive at the time.  Considering Boyce was looking for a way to get to the Soviet Union at that time, knowing someone of Eastern European heritage at the time might have been helpful.  Maybe Dan was going to set him up with traveling papers.  We'll never know...