Author Topic: who is still sober  (Read 11143 times)

Offline Buttaknife

• View Profile
who is still sober
« on: July 24, 2002, 04:07:00 AM »
just wondering,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 09:21:00 AM »
I guess that depends on who was really an alcholic or drug addict to begin with.  Many of us were never in need of getting "sober" in the first place.  Thats my personal situation as well.  I still drink occasionally, smoke a bowl every few months or so (I dont particularly care for pot)and then get on with my life.  Which is very full and rewarding despite the fact that according to Straight, I should be in the gutter or dead.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
who is still sober
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 02:11:00 PM »
Since Straight I've gone through periods of abusing various substances.  Mostly alcohol, but also the faster drugs.  Never cared much for mj.  I think I've pretty much outgrown the need for being high (I'm 34 now) but I do slip up and binge drink some weekends.  Not ideal, but I seem to maintain.
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline EarthMother

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 07:06:00 PM »
I drink once in a great while, but that's about it. Doesn't have much to do with the program. More with wanting a different environment for my kids.

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 02:05:00 PM »
Shortly before going into the Army, I decided I would drink mostly for social reasons.  Halfway between the 14 week long Armor Training at Ft. Knox Ky, we were given PX privilages and we all got sloppy drunk.  One huge Jamaican from New Orleans did the coolest thing I ever saw.  He would rip the tabs off one side of a six-pack, pick it up in both hands and run it back and forth across his lips like a giant harmonica hardly spilling a drop, slam it back down on the table and give a deep laugh like the voodoo guy in "Live and Let Die!!"  
While I am not condoning drinking, this is how even the straightest of the straight got back into it.  Once I got out, my drinking increased to the point where I would drink say 10 kamikase's on 2-4-1 night along with several beers and have to sleep on a bench by a park because I got lost from seeing double and could not read the street signs, or find a phone booth to call a cab.  By the time I was 23, alchohol did not affect me as much as it used to.  I slid into a terrible depression and ended up homeless and working out of day labor.  My family blamed it on alchohol, but it was really deep seated mental illness that had been with me since childhood.  All the alchohol use had been was a last ditch effort to try and change my brain chemistry so that I could feel 'normal.'  My grandfather, a man I love dearly, with only a third grade education, saw through all the bullshit Straight had taught and helped me pull myself together. He built me a crude apartment in the attic on a house across the way, that he owned and charged me a very affordable rent and aside from having to shoot an occasion citrus rat with a pellet gun, it was a damn good living.
     I got it together enough that I was driving a 6 year old Firebird just 8 months later.  It got to the point where I had outgrown the apartment, so I found a nice garage apt in Old Northeast.  I still drank, but it was moderate, with a little pot smoking thrown in.  A 28 gram baggie would last me about 10 days.  The pot actually helped me to drink less.  I was working at a very dangerous tool & die plant at the time.
The owners had converted a bunch of machinery for stamping car parts and they had not been properly set up by qualified workmen.  Pressbrakes were failing every day and I almost got my hands smashed on several occasions.  There was an employee there that was fighting to start a union, a big article in the St. Pete Times, and all my neighbors were suggesting that I quit.  With all the stress going on, my long dormant mental illness flared up once again, only this time, after nearly 26 years, I finally got the help I deserved.  I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and began Lithium Treatment immediatly.  I responded so well that I returned to work so whacked on Haldol, that all I did was destroy parts for 3 days until it wore off!!  I still drink occasionally, but I am very responsible with it, and I don't want to go back to working day labor and the hellish existence of my early 20's.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:33:30 PM by 85 Day Jerk »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline bettypills

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2002, 02:36:00 AM »
well I'm not exactly sober right now, dig? I drink beer&wine, lots of it, nearly every day. I'm not proud of this, but I also see it as progress! After I 7-stepped, I waited about 4 months to start drinking again (sex was really the habit to resume first!) but it was as if I hadn't skipped a beat, one thing led to another and before a year had passed I was doing things I'd never even heard of before Straight. And plenty of it.
I like(d) drugs. I loved acid mushrooms ecstacy Heroin & pills! I've never ever ever shot up anything, though, because liking drugs doesn't mean a DEATH WISH! DON'T USE NEEDLES PEOPLE!
What is my point? I do have one..... DRUGS! They aren't inherently bad. or good. a tool, like language, or art, or computers!
I wonder sometimes if being drilled that I was powerless over drugs didn't plant this rebellious seed of thinking "OH YEAH? Well fuck that, I'll show them-" I can eat ten hits of good acid and visit my mom! Go to work! Drive to Austin! (whatever!)"  Like i was very proud of how much craziness I could do. Which is silly, but it's true, I felt that way. It eventually got extremely ugly when, I got way into speed-  What a wonderfulscene, ha ha, full of all the most repulsive aspects of our species! It's o.k now.I'm a mommy who doesn't even smoke (anything!) but I sure like to tipple  a beer and pop a Vicodin! Sorry for the babble, this is a subject I find fascinating because in the years immediately following Straight, it seemed like I kept running into people I knew there in some extremely inebriated situations! Drugs! It's like religion, different for everybody, I don't regret anything, even the ugliest parts were educational. The hardest one to quit was cigarettes, what a nightmare!

Offline 2dogs

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 01:31:00 AM »
Besides 4 surgerys I haven't  been high or drank in 10 years. no A.A. no Straight. Just do better without.  But I did need to be very , very , loaded for a number of years to get Straight out of my head! I don't care who gets tore-up or who doesn't. That was a judgement I learned at Straight and I live by that about as much as I live by the rest of the shit they told me. I personaly think sugar and cigarettes are worse than the rest......Dogs

[ This Message was edited by: 2dogs on 2002-07-28 22:33 ]

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 04:02:00 AM »
I never really did enough drugs or alcohol to have a problem in there. I was 14 for goodness sake. As for after I really abused all drugs until I was 20-21 except ones involving needles but I say this it was not because of some great self esteem, it was a fear of needles. Now I just drink and blaze. I guess I was never an addict. Not that I am problem free by any means! Drugs and alcohol I just don't have a problem with. I now know something was messed up w/me when I was intaked I just know that Straight did not help and I believe made it worse. Well that's the down low on that chapter next question please??  :wink: lol
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
who is still sober
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 01:21:00 PM »
Halfway between the 14 week long Armor Training at Ft. Knox Ky, we were given PX privilages and we all got sloppy drunk.  

Hey 85 day jerk, I was there too and did the same thing.  Were you stationed in Germany afterward?
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 10:14:00 PM »
Depending on what you mean by "sober", my last drink was 6 months or so ago.. I don't find alchohol appealing anymore and I don't feel like myself when I drink.
I only smoke cigarettes and need anti-depressants. So call it what you will, but as long as I have cigarettes and have some mental and emotional stability, I'm just fine and dandy! :smile:
usan Minns

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2002, 10:18:00 PM »
Hi, my name is Greg. I have been a cult member for 29 years. I have been sober for 3 days.....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2002, 04:59:00 AM »
Yes...I'm still drug free (since my intake 28 Mar '82.) I haven't willfully ingested any drugs (alcohol included) since then...(To this day, I've never aquired a taste for alcohol...Imagine that!)

Why? Interesting question! I went into the program at 14 yrs., which is quite young...I think this has something to do with it...Having drugs removed from me at such a young age allowed me to continue "normal" development from adolescence into adulthood. I think that the older clients in the program had a stronger sense of self, and had a better understanding of their "personal identity"...I was definately troubled & confused at the time...

I never believed that I was an "addict," but I do believe that I was "chemically dependent," and knew I needed help...

Now, I attribute my sobriety to 2 things...Quitting dope at a young age and having a very close family. Although I did get some help and learned a few things at straight, I would've appreciated not having to endure the bullshit and abuse as part of my recovery...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2002, 01:26:00 PM »
Well, alcohol is entirely overated past the 3rd drink...benefits=little, risk=high.  Every stupid thing I got in trouble for w/ police was alcohol related, so I keep it cool, like a 12 of Mich light lasts a month in my fridge.  
That said, coke ruled life for a couple of years....lived in So Cal and got all up in Meth scene(boy, wanna meet some real psychotic loosers!!!), and then cleaned up.  
Buds rule.  Natural, safe enough, not unpredictable, my kind of chill.  I am professional, know others like me, and am sick of keeping it in the closet.  Someday....

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
who is still sober
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2002, 12:26:00 PM »
On 2002-07-30 10:26:00, Anonymous wrote:
a 12 of Mich light lasts a month in my fridge.  

Well, my friend, your problem is obvious! Replace that 12 of Mich Light with a 12 of Sam Adams and I think that will resolve your fridge crowding problem :wink:

Seriously though, some of the least sober people I've ever met are strictly abstinent of all mood altering substances. Some of the more lucid are not. I don't think it really has anywhere near as much bearing on the greater scheme of things as contemporary public opinion seems to hold.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
who is still sober
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2002, 02:22:00 PM »
Truly well spoken Ginger! LOL!

I myself have been sober for about 20 years. Had some health issues crop up in early 20's and in order to have child became substance free.

I stayed that way simply because I did not want to become the hypocrite my father was. He always told me that when I wanted to smoke pot "let me know & I'll get the best and we will smoke it together"!!

The laugh was truly on me because as soon as he caught me smoking the very next day I became an inmate in the Seed!!

He goes off to college in 3 weeks...who knows what might happen to momma then!! I can dream right?!!
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}