Author Topic: My 16 year old daughter's first love  (Read 9286 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My 16 year old daughter's first love
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004, 10:33:00 PM »
God, it is so heartening to read these posts from people who "have been there done that" but ARE NOT PARENTS of children in a program.  They are children who were once in a program and are now parents themselves.  Honoring their children and their duty and obligation to GUIDE them through adolescence, not control their hearts and minds behind the magnetic locked doors of some TBS.

Judging by what I'm reading here, today's generation of program parents would be wise to listen to yesterday's program children. LOVE YOUR KIDS and JUST SAY NO TO PARENTING BY PROXY. You won't be sorry.

:wave:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2004, 11:07:00 PM »
Hard to believe that there are still people out there gullible enough to think that these abusive programs are the answer...I agree with anon^  :wstupid:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2004, 02:35:00 AM »
All of these programs are pure insanity.  I've been there, I know.

Please don't make a bad situation worse for your daughter's boyfriend.  If anything, try to get him in touch with the ACLU or ISAC (www.isaccorp.com).  Then he might be able to work within the legal system to legally escape from the abuse and human rights violations that he is almost undoubtedly suffering.  

If you do this, get him in touch with either organization while he is at home with private access to a telephone.  If you let the group incarcerating him or his parents know that he is interested in contacting legal help, they will do everything in their power to prevent him from receiving it.  (Isn't this alone enough to make you think that something is wrong?)

-Erik
[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2004, 06:31:00 AM »
Why would I want to be so manipulative and controlling in my childs life? Well how about the fact that my child's best friend (this boy)took my daughter with him on a downward spiral to cocaine addiction at 15. Do I have a problem with that? Yes I do, especially when he starts stealing money from everyone and is threatened in the street by the local dealers because he owes them money. That crosses the boundary for me from "teenage rebellion" to "need for parental intervention"? I would rather be labeled an overprotective mother, than leave my daughter to cope alone with a situation which is way beyond her maturity level. Both kids are immature for their age.

I did not try to stop her seeing him when he was here and I have not stopped the phone contact since he left, limited as it is. My question related to whether (or not)I should tell the mother things that my daughter has shared with me that she may not know, or do I want events unfold. It's a reflection of my good relationship with my daughter that she is telling me all this stuff. The answer here seems to be not to tell his mother anything, but I can't help wondering if she is being misguided by some of the decisions she is making for her son.

By the way, the latest development is that if he is not allowed a home visit to see my daughter within the next few weeks he's going to run away. Anybody have a clue where he might go, given that he is in Utah? He survived a 3 month wilderness camp already remember, so living rough is something they already taught him. My guess is he will do what he says. So again, let me ask the question: Should I tell his mother?

I have no agenda apart from looking out for my daughter, and even though I think he contributed to this situation he now finds himself in, by repeatedly making bad choices, I also think the parents have over-reacted, and that a local drug rehab would have been a more suitable choice. I don't know them that well, but I suspect they are in the group that thinks every problem can be solved by throwing money at it.

He's a sensitive soul - a poet and writer - quite unlike the strictly business world his parents are in, and I think their expectations of him may be unrealistic. But you can't tell other people how to raise their children and at the end of the day, they are only doing what they think is best for their child and who am I to say they are wrong.

They have agreed he should be allowed some contact with my daughter, (the only friend he has from his previous life), but they are very unsure about letting him come home for a visit. I have told them I would allow it.

The good thing is that having shut her out of his recovery program, they are now including her, and it's good for her to be part of something as important as this (his recovery from drug addiction) Everything coming out into the open and being discussed in a grown up way with her at the centre of events is far healthier than brushing it off as a "teenage thing" that needn't involve parents.

At the end of the day, I just want to do the right thing by my daughter and came here to find out more about the "behavior modification industry" because I know very little about it, and the more I read, the less I like, although I can accpet that some kids embrace it as a relief.

I was just feeling very sad for this boy and wanting to take him into my home and give him a hug, then my daughter told me he is planning to run away and "is not cured", whatever that means, and I suddenly sensed her concern was not about the running away part, but about his  reason for it, that it is not about wanting to see her, it's about getting back into the drugs.....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2004, 10:19:00 AM »
He threatened to run away if he doesn't get his way?  What does that tell you?

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2004, 11:59:00 AM »
I've been through the SAME THING with my daughter.  If you really would like to discuss it, I'd be glad to tell you what I did to get through it.....it was 3 years of being scared and frustrated.  Private message me if you're truly looking for info.  I'd be happy to tell you how I got through it.

In any civilized society, it is every citizen's responsibility to obey just laws.  But at the same time, it is every citizen's responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
--Martin Luther King

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »
He may be threatening to run away because the place is abusive.

Since you can't know one way or the other, my advice would be to stay out of it.  *If* the place is abusive, it could be that running away is less harmful to him than staying.  Kids have died or been raped or permanently injured in these places, and he *may* be making a rational choice about his survival.

There's just no telling.  In the absence of information, minding one's own business is the bast choice.

It sounds like your daughter is not interested in the drugs.  It sounds like she wants to be okay, and wants her boyfriend to be okay.

I'd keep my eyes open so she's not at risk if he goes bonkers and does anything weird, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions that that's what's motivating him----as I said above, he may be planning to run away out of a very well founded fear for his own permanent physical well-being.

There are times to act, and times to sit back and keep your mouth shut and your eyes open.

In your situation, if I were you, I'd consider it a time for the latter.  You just don't have enough information to act and know that you won't be doing more harm than good.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2004, 10:04:00 PM »
From the way it was written, the boy is threatening to run away if he doesn't get his way, plain and more plain.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2004, 11:28:00 PM »
If by "get his way" you mean to get himself out of a potentially (or already) abusive situation, then I agree...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2004, 12:52:00 AM »
"By the way, the latest development is that if he is not allowed a home visit to see my daughter within the next few weeks he's going to run away."

This sentence could not be more clear on his manipulation.  

In other words:  If you don't let me go see my girlfriend, then you'll pay by not knowing where I am.  You let me have my way or else!"  

I would say, let him run.  If he can run. Most places are secure enough that it's only an idle threat.

Forget about HIS threats and focus on what's important to you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2004, 12:53:00 AM »
This kid is not being abused.  He's the abuser - emotionally abusing those around him

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2004, 11:11:00 AM »
Ok, I give up. Anon, I'm going to have to assume that you're nothing more than a troll until you at least tell us what your interest in this topic is..in other words..are you:

a) another program parent
b) an employee of a rehab, etc..
c) a survivor (ex-client, etc..)
d) ??

And your last statement is a kind of fallacy. Two wrongs don't make right...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »
There are many ways to describe an event.  Some of them make it look one way, some of them make it look another way.

It is possible that the kid is threatening to run if he doesn't get his way.

It is *also* possible that he's in a frightening and  abusive situation but thinks he can stand it if he can only get out for a little while, or that if he can get out for a little while he can get help in not going back.

It's also possible that *both* of those things are true.

When you don't have enough information to make a good choice, frequently the best choice is to mind your own business.

When you're the kid's parent or caseworker, you have to make decisions on limited information.

When it's someone else's kid, and you're not his/her caseworker, you don't have as much information as the kid, the parents, or the caseworker (when there is one), and if you don't have enough information to be absolutely sure you're doing the right thing, frequently mindig your own business and staying out of it is the best choice.

Enough of these places have had deservedly bad reputations for child abuse over the years that assuming the kid is not being abused is not a safe assumption.  Assuming the kid *is* being abused is not a safe assumption.

Staying out of it is the wisest course of action for the other mom.

Keeping in mind the whole, "not enough information" thing, the daughter sounds like she has her head screwed on pretty straight, for a teen.  I would talk to the daughter to make sure she understands the difference between mature romantic love among equals and "rescuing" behavior.

It sounds to me like she may be trying to rescue or save this boy who's damaged goods.

I don't think he should be abused, but I also wouldn't want my daughter to date him.

Thing is, you really can't control that without provoking an overreaction in your daughter and pushing her away---it's the nature of the age she is.

Maybe a good family therapist could help you plant the seeds to get your daughter thinking about whether she loves this boy or is trying to save him/cure him/rescue him.

People that need saving aren't good romantic partners.  And *why* is she looking for a partner she needs to save/mother/rescue?  How comfortable is she with her own attractiveness and her own self-worth?  She should be shooting for a guy who's about the same level of attractiveness, intelligence, prospects as she has---and should have no trouble finding such dates.

At that age, all the love you know has been parent-child.  Sorting out the differences between parent-child love and romantic love is challenging.

I'm not saying she shouldn't be friends with this boy, and I'm not saying you should intervene *directly*, or even indirectly, to break them up.

I'm saying what I'd be concerned about with her is why she's looking for dates she can mother---because if you don't fix that, she'll end up broken up with this guy and go right out and find herself another wounded bird.

Don't worry about this particular boy---worry about why she's insecure enough in her ability to win and keep love that she's trolling for wounded birds.

Offline exsafecounselor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »
Kaydeejaded,

I have read many of your post in the past.  But this one takes the cake. Do you really believe the crap that comes out of your mouth?
[ This Message was edited by: exsafecounselor on 2004-01-29 09:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: exsafecounselor on 2004-01-29 09:18 ]
here is not a truth existing which I fear or would wish unknown to the whole world.

--- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2004, 12:26:00 PM »
Well shit, man - What did she say? I even looked back a page, and saw no post by her. Please use the quote function in cases like this, thanks..

Ok, I went back another page and found it..what was so bad about what she said?

[ This Message was edited by: Froderik13 on 2004-01-29 09:34 ]