Author Topic: Founder's Findings  (Read 6836 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Founder's Findings
« on: March 07, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
Apparently, Joe Gauld started a series of pontifications bearing this title, starting last August. Here are at least some of them (not all appear to be available), for your edification and critique:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Founder's Findings #1: 1st Parental Precedent
8/26/2008

At birth, nature presents us with a fully functioning human being. However, that baby is totally dependent upon us, even for its survival. So after this child’s childhood and adolescence period, nature then expects us as parents to present it to the world as a fully functioning adult!

This means we have a lot of work to do as parents in a limited space of time, much of which our growing child will not understand, and sometimes not even agree with as necessary. So our basic relationship to our child must always be that of mentor to student, sometimes requiring us to even act like a dictator.

Thus, we must shun a friendship with our child; friendships are 50-50, which will undermine our critical mentorship of our child. Children will eventually not only understand this difference, but come to deeply trust us, because they know nothing will ever compromise our commitment to their future, not even our desire for their love.

- Joseph Gauld
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Founder's Findings
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »
So our basic relationship to our child must always be that of mentor to student, sometimes requiring us to even act like a dictator.

I'm so surprised to read this. He always struck me as such a kind, reasonable old man at the FLCs.

:roflmao:   :roflmao:   :roflmao:   :roflmao:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:51:01 AM »
sometimes requiring us to even act like a dictator

Or sometimes requires us to rationalize our personal predilections to be a dick. At 80 some odd years I admire Joey's stamina as expressed in his ability to tolerate the sounds of his own banality.  I would have shut up a long time ago.

NHB

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:15:12 PM »
Thus, we must shun a friendship with our child; friendships are 50-50, which will undermine our critical mentorship of our child. Children will eventually not only understand this difference, but come to deeply trust us, because they know nothing will ever compromise our commitment to their future, not even our desire for their love.

Outside of the fact that friendships are rarely "50-50," and that mentorship and friendship do not by definition nor by any other means necessarily preclude each other, I want to know where is it preordained that a kid should "come to deeply trust" someone who is that hell-bent on maintaining control in the relationship?

When it comes to truth and reality, Joe Gauld and Hyde School have compromised plenty a kid, not to mention totally fucked them over. "Commitment to their future" would be a bald-faced flaming LIE in those cases.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Founder's Findings #2
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 12:58:18 PM »
On to the second one. I can see that Joe's mathematical skills are being put to good use here. I hate to be the one to break the news, but the nuances of real life do not always fit so neatly into such rigid partitions of time. Moreover, and this is strictly my opinion, there really isn't anything pathological or even abnormal about that.

Founder's Findings #2: 2nd Parental Precedent
9/2/2008

Of all living species, we humans have by far the longest preparation for life -- 19 years! In reality, children today often take an even longer period, with many returning home after college. Clearly, this is not what nature had in mind. The child who begins to take responsibility for his/her life at, say, age 25, will essentially always be six years behind the one who begins that responsibility at age 19.

Since the parent begins with 100% responsibility at birth, the challenge is to turn over 51% of that responsibility to the child over a 19 year period. Thus, the parent needs to become very tolerant of the child's struggles and mistakes. Adolescence is the practice field of life; isn't it far safer and more productive to make your mistakes on the practice field than in the game of life?

This means we parents need to focus more on growth than achievement, with a better appreciation of the value of struggles and mistakes.

- Joseph Gauld

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 05:22:12 PM »
This is just too inane: anthropomorphizing nature, hard stop for growing up a 19, if you don't grow up until your 25 you are always six years behind.  Nurse time to change Joey's Depends.  He has pooped them again.  What age does senility start Joey?  If you start drooling at 75 are you ahead of your peers?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 06:38:21 PM »
What would Joe have said about my uncle? He never left home.

When it came time, he got married, and his wife moved in. Then they had children, and there were three generations under one roof.

When my grandparents got older, he took care of them. My grandmother became more and more senile in the last ten years of her life, the last five bedridden and having to be spoonfed. It wasn't a big deal, he just did it.

At what point would Joe say my uncle started "taking responsibility for his life"?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 12:39:26 PM »
At this point, based on infantile drivel that is emanating from His Eminence, Joseph Gauld ,I think it safe to say the Founder has foundered.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Founder's Findings #3
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 08:14:45 PM »
God forbid the snotty little buggers should ever manipulate ya!!

Founder's Findings #3: Kids Read (Your Heart)
9/9/2008

Many parents unwittingly talk to their child the same way they talk to adults. Since the child lacks the life experience to truly comprehend, they soon learn to read the parent’s heart, which allows them to understand what the parent really means at a level that even the parent may not intellectually understand. How many times have I heard a parent strongly express some intention, to which the kid simply remarks, "He doesn't mean it."

The solution is simple -- the parent must become adept at reading his/her own heart, and then directly express in words those feelings or emotions. If you don't like or don't want to say those words, then work on changing your feelings, emotions or attitudes so you can say the words you would like to say.

Clearly, this will be a very difficult task that will transform your parenting. But it will destroy your child's ability to manipulate you.

- Joseph Gauld

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 09:03:41 PM »
Since the child lacks the life experience to truly comprehend, they soon learn to read the parent’s heart

What?  Am I missing something or is there a huge jump between "lacks life experience to truly comprehend" and "soon learn to read the parent's heart."  There was a big deus ex machina wheeled in in the first act that transformed the uncomprehending child to a seer of the truths and verities of the human heart.  Doesn't anyone in Bath have the balls to shut him up or are they all just too brainwashed to see how utterly ridiculous these ramblings are?  

EAJP Jr

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 11:00:48 PM »
The solution is simple -- the parent must become adept at reading his/her own heart, and then directly express in words those feelings or emotions. If you don't like or don't want to say those words, then work on changing your feelings, emotions or attitudes so you can say the words you would like to say.

Translation:

If you DON'T LIKE what you are about to say, brainwash yourself into believing that you
really mean ... what you'd LIKE yourself to say.

SIMPLE! "Truth" is what you make it.[/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Founder's Findings #4
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 01:34:58 PM »
Founder's Findings #4: Hell in a Handbasket?
9/16/2008

As we experience what seems to be an increasing level of corruption in our society, some of us may wonder if our society is just going through a difficult phase, or more seriously experiencing a deeply troubling trend, as a long term study of the deeper motivations of college freshmen suggests.

In 1966, the study found that the top concern of 80% of college freshmen was "developing a meaningful philosophy of life." In sixth place, less than 45% listed "being very well off financially" as their top priority. However in 1996 these two values had changed places, with 74% choosing the latter as their top priority; in sixth place, only 42% chose the 1966 top concern. Studies since then indicate this downward trend in purpose in life is continuing.

One thing seems for sure, these future leaders will continue the reality that in America, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

- Joseph Gauld

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 02:58:11 PM »
Quote from: "Founder"
One thing seems for sure, these future leaders will continue the reality that in America, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Well, one other thing also seems sure ... as long as parents continue sending their kids to Hyde School, the Gaulds will get richer, and the American public will get poorer. Financially, as well as spiritually.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »
I love all these scholarly references. Who financed the "long term study?" Readers' Digestion?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 06:38:40 PM »
Quote from: "No. 7"
I love all these scholarly references. Who financed the "long term study?" Readers' Digestion?

The world has been going to hell in a hand basket for a long long time.  Watch out for the barbarians!

According to Gibbon, the Roman Empire succumbed to barbarian invasions in large part due to the gradual loss of civic virtue among its citizens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Histor ... man_Empire

Be seeing you.