Author Topic: Founder's Findings  (Read 6818 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Founder's Findings #6
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 04:53:11 PM »
Quote from: "Founder's Pounder"
Quote from: "With fine disregard for the rules"
This Founder's Finding takes a big step toward explaining how some weird old dude dressed in plaid visits a college campus and red-faced and spittle-mouthed "has his way" with a fresh Hyde grad.

Incidentally, my parents, who were out of the Hyde loop, were the first to tell me about Joe's exploit. Word traveled in the pre-Internet era.
  I still can't get my head around that one.   I am just about Joe's age in ,what 1978?  I just can't see my self hooking up with a college freshman, a college freshman's Mom maybe.  Not a girl less then half my age.  And then to have had an authority figure role in the girls life ..... geez.  She seem to be doing ok but I got to believe it would have left a mark.  I would think that would estrange you from your peers: hey! there's the girl that banged Joe.   I bet she has never been back to any of the Hyde reunions even thought she was a popular and well liked student.  I have to admit I don't have that problem.  "What he doing here?" is the reaction I get when I visit Bath.  Ancient history.

Joe Gauld reminds me a lot of that Jesuit priest John Powell, who taught at Loyola University (Chicago) in various of its schools, from 1965 'till 1996 or 2001 (depending on source). He had a "gift" for helping troubled youth, was considered a "relationship expert," ran spiritual retreats and provided counseling for folks going through difficult times.

He also wrote about two and a half dozen books (with more than 15 million copies having been sold altogether), which are basically smarmy feel-good pulp "mixing Catholic theology and spiritual devotion with psychology and self-help," starting with the internationally proclaimed  ::)  Why Am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am? (sound familiar?).

All these decades of being held in untouchable high esteem, and just six years ago, the sexual abuse cases finally started to hit the press. Women are suing Father Powell and the Jesuits for sexual abuse which occurred starting back in the mid 1960s. By this time he is safely squirreled away in a nursing home and cannot come to the phone for comment.

From a September 2003 article about the first lawsuit (there have been 3 so far, all with multiple plaintiffs):

Regnier, 50, a professional choreographer for a modern dance troupe in New York City, met Powell when she was in seventh grade after her mother went on a retreat led by the priest.

"One of my sisters wanted to become a cloistered nun, and [my mother] was worried about that. So she brought [Powell] home," Regnier said. "One time when he was taking off my shirt . . . he told me about this nun who had opened her habit to poor children in Africa to give of herself, that she was nursing these kids. . . . Father Powell reached in and ripped out my soul."
    [/list]

Like Father Powell, Joe Gauld is practicing thought coercion while he is preaching a moral ideology. When sexual abuse or coercion occurs in that context, the damage and trauma is far more complex than simple pedophilia or inappropriate "May-December" relationships; its victims often suffer in relative silence for decades. Like Father Powell, Joe placed himself in a position of mentor, teacher, pseudo-therapist, and violated the trust of all concerned with little or no consequences. Like Father Powell, Joe has a whole community which caters to, sanctions, and enforces his proselytizing froth. Unlike Father Powell, Joe's community is of his own creation, hence, his responsibility extends -- to some degree -- to the shenanigans of his followers as well.

As to AVH... I'm sure that incident has left a mark; a confusing, difficult to untangle, and destructive mark. Perhaps, at this point in her life, she might agree with that statement, perhaps not. FWIW, I'm sure Joe tried for others.
    « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 12:25:20 AM »
    Here is an article from a few months ago, regarding more of Father John Powell's exploits revealed through the most recently filed lawsuit; color emphasis mine:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

The Phoenix
      The Official Student Newspaper of Loyola University, Chicago[/list]
      Priest accused of sexual abuse
      Former Loyola Jesuit was professor, author and counselor

Steven Kent
        Issue date:
        12/4/08 Section: News
        [/list]

As a Jesuit and a professor at Loyola University Chicago, the Rev. John Powell, S.J., built a reputation as a popular teacher and a best-selling religious author - and all of it was called into question again last month as he faced his third sexual abuse lawsuit since 2003.

The civil lawsuit, filed Nov. 6 by the plaintiff "Jane Doe 125," who has chosen to remain anonymous to the public, claimed that Powell held "private counseling sessions" with her during a religious retreat in 1967. During these sessions, said the official complaint, he forced her to kiss him and required her to remove her school uniform so that he could fondle her.

The lawsuit also named the Chicago Province of the Society of Jesus, or the Jesuits, as a defendant on counts of negligence and fraud, and stated that the Jesuits knew about Powell's pedophilic tendencies before the alleged incident and failed to act on that knowledge.

Powell, 83, now retired in Michigan, worked as a professor of theology at Loyola from 1965 until his retirement in 1996. During that time, he held spiritual retreats and wrote popular books such as Fully Human, Fully Alive, inspirational self-help manuals that blended pop psychology with Catholic theology and established him as "one of the best-selling spiritual authors of our time," according to Publishers Weekly.

"This guy sells books about sexually intimate relationships, and the Jesuits make millions off of them, and it's a fraud, a complete fraud," said attorney Marc Pearlman, who represents the anonymous plaintiff for the law firm Kerns, Frost and Pearlman. "The guy was sexually abusing his students and people who came to him for counseling."

He also, according to a number of accusers, used his position as a counselor and professor to abuse young girls. Throughout the years he was assigned to Loyola University, the lawsuit said, Powell held spiritual retreats that brought him into contact with minor children. It was during one of these retreats, held at Rosarian Academy in West Palm Beach, Fla., that he sexually abused the plaintiff, according to the lawsuit. She was "approximately 16 or 17," the suit said.

The lawsuit also claimed that Powell "engaged in a pattern and practice of sexually abusing Loyola University students." In 2006, a former Loyola University student, Diane Ruhl, named the Chicago order of Jesuits as the defendant in a civil lawsuit along with three other women. The lawsuit, which is still pending, claimed that Powell sexually abused Ruhl during private counseling sessions while she attended Loyola and also said that both Jesuit leaders and Loyola administrators received reports of Powell's alleged abuses and ignored them.

Powell has never been charged with a crime.

Pearlman, the attorney, represented four women in a 2003 sexual abuse lawsuit against Powell, which the defendant settled publicly in 2005. He said that he has dealt with a number of women who have come forward and claimed that Powell abused them, enough to convince him that there may have been dozens more.

"I really doubt the number is just six or seven or 13," he said. "We had a client, her sister went to Loyola and he was abusing her 13-year-old sister. He used to frequent the house, and he'd tell her parents he was going to tuck her in and bless her and read her confession, and then he'd abuse her. A 13 year-old."

Powell could not be reached for comment. A statement from the Chicago Province of the Society of Jesus said he was in "extremely poor health, requiring 24-hour medical care and supervision."

Pearlman also said that in his experience, the Jesuits displayed a record of covering up sex abuse within their ranks.

"The Jesuits have a history of being horrible on these types of issues," he said. "They've had sex abusers in their ranks, they've known about them, they've covered it up, they've transferred them and ignored it, and Powell's not the only example. I really think the way they approached this sex issue was to sweep it under the rug."

Pearlman pointed to the case of the Rev. Donald McGuire, S.J., as an example. A public jury convicted McGuire in a 2006 criminal trial of sexually abusing two teenage boys in Chicago in the 1960s. Documents show that Chicago Jesuit leaders received alerts about McGuire's behavior dozens of times during his career, according to multiple news sources.

A spokesperson for the Jesuits' Chicago Province said he was not able to comment by phone. In an e-mailed response statement, the Rev. Edward Schmidt, S.J., Chicago Provincial of the Society of Jesus, said that the Chicago Province does not comment on ongoing legal proceedings out of respect for the judicial system.

"The Province takes allegations of sexual misconduct seriously," said the statement, "investigates them fully, and cooperates with authorities. We believe the individuals who have come forward deserve our understanding and prayers."

The statement also encouraged anyone who has been abused by a member of the Province to contact the appropriate law enforcement or child protection agency no matter what amount of time has passed since the abuse.

Barbara Blaine, founder and president of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests (SNAP), agreed with Pearlman's estimate, calling the Jesuits "the worst in this country" in terms of religious organizations with a track record of concealing abuse. SNAP is a Chicago-based national advocacy and support group for survivors of sexual clerical abuse.

Blaine said that the 30 year span between the alleged incident and the lawsuit typified cases of clerical abuse based on her experience, especially so with cases involving Jesuit priests. She also said she was disappointed by Loyola University's lack of response to the claims of abuse by Powell.

"When you're raped by a teacher in your school," she said, "you're not really in a position to speak up or do anything about it. It takes years, sometimes decades of healing to withstand the scrutiny, especially because the Jesuits and Loyola do not make it easy for victims to speak up."

Steve Christensen, communications manager at Loyola University Chicago, declined to respond. He said that the university refers all questions about Powell and the alleged abuse to the Jesuits' Chicago Province and said that university officials would not comment on the lawsuit.

In an e-mail response, Ellen Kane Munro, vice president and general counsel at Loyola, said that the university "will not tolerate sexual abuse, or indeed sexual harassment of any kind, by anyone, including its faculty and the Jesuits."

Pearlman said the case might reach a settlement, but he promised to make the results public.

"If the Jesuits want to step up and settle the case," he said, "that's always better for the victims, but it will be public, whether it goes through the courts or not."

© 2006 The Phoenix

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        « Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
        There's another thing that Joe Gauld and John Powell have in common, outside of the predilection for young, impressionable, psyches and nubile flesh, and that has to do with their "philosophical" background in the hokey pseudo psychology -- and its accompanying toolbox for manipulating minds -- borne out of the Human Potential movement. Of course, you could go back even further, and delve into the Western world's obsession with pasting Asian philosophical concepts onto a Occident culture, completely removed from the history or context of their origin. Rudolf Steiner knew a thing or two about that...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Founder's Findings #7
        « Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »
        Onwards with more Joe-fluff!!  :seg:

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

Founder's Findings #7: Emphasize "principles over personalities" in your parenting.
        10/7/2008

This is powerfully illustrated by an episode one morning when our son Malcolm was about three. I was late for class, and he had crawled into bed with Blanche, watching me frantically trying to get dressed. I was increasingly frustrated by not finding what I needed, so when I opened the drawer filled with socks, none of which matched, I finally exploded. I started angrily throwing them on the floor: "I wish [throw] I had [throw] two socks [throw] that matched!" Whereupon Mal said, "If you act that way about it, you won’t get any!" Blanche threw the sheet up over her head, and I stood there like a chastened child.

The story highlights that even at this early age, children are capable of seeing beyond our dominant parental personalities to grasp our principles and values. Since we ourselves are imperfect, we must teach our kids that our principles are their ultimate authority, not us.

- Joseph Gauld

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
        Re: Founder's Findings
        « Reply #34 on: May 09, 2009, 02:30:27 AM »
        The man whose conscience does not trouble him must have it pretty well trained.

Founder's Findings #37: Belief #8: Conscience.
        5/5/2009

"Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire, called conscience." - George Washington

"A peace above all earthly dignities, A still and quiet conscience." - William Shakespeare (King Henry VIII)

"The human voice can never reach the distance that is covered by the still small voice of conscience." - Gandhi

"Every human has four endowments - self awareness, conscience, independent will and creative imagination. These give us the ultimate human freedom... The power to choose, to respond, to change." - Stephen Covey

"Conscience is the root of all true courage; if a man would be brave let him obey his conscience." - James Clarke, American Minister

"Nothing is more powerful than an individual acting out of his conscience, thus helping to bring the collective conscience to life." - Norman Cousins, American Editor

- Joseph Galls

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
        Re: Founder's Findings #7
        « Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 09:41:56 AM »
        Founder's Findings #7: Emphasize "principles over personalities" in your parenting.
        10/7/2008

This is powerfully illustrated by an episode one morning when our son Malcolm was about three. I was late for class, and he had crawled into bed with Blanche, watching me frantically trying to get dressed. I was increasingly frustrated by not finding what I needed, so when I opened the drawer filled with socks, none of which matched, I finally exploded. I started angrily throwing them on the floor: "I wish [throw] I had [throw] two socks [throw] that matched!" Whereupon Mal said, "If you act that way about it, you won't get any!" Blanche threw the sheet up over her head, and I stood there like a chastened child.

The story highlights that even at this early age, children are capable of seeing beyond our dominant parental personalities to grasp our principles and values. Since we ourselves are imperfect, we must teach our kids that our principles are their ultimate authority, not us.

- Joseph Gauld

Cute. Joey tells a dirty joke. If he hadn't "got any", there wouldn't be a little Mal!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Founder's Findings #8
        « Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »
        Founder's Findings #8: Help children transcend their lesser "wants."
        10/14/2008

Parents must teach their children how to determine the difference between their growth needs—what they must gain to become the great individuals they were meant to be—and their wants—what they desire that may sometimes hinder their best growth.

Children are born with primal "want" instincts that parents must help them transcend:

• Self-gratification—the potential tyranny of desires and addictions. Constantly instill in children the habit of delayed gratification—work before play; vegetables before dessert; hard before easy, etc.
        • Self-protection—the potential tyranny of fear. Encourage children to be open, to take risks, to face bullies, etc. Courage is the source of our individuality.
        • Self-centeredness—the potential tyranny of narcissism. Continually make children aware, respectful of and helpful to others. We were meant to help others in life.

- Joseph Gauld

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
        Re: Founder's Findings #8
        « Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »
        Quote from: "Ursus"
        Founder's Findings #8: Help children transcend their lesser "wants."
        10/14/2008

Parents must teach their children how to determine the difference between their growth needs—what they must gain to become the great individuals they were meant to be—and their wants—what they desire that may sometimes hinder their best growth.

Children are born with primal "want" instincts that parents must help them transcend:

• Self-gratification—the potential tyranny of desires and addictions. Constantly instill in children the habit of delayed gratification—work before play; vegetables before dessert; hard before easy, etc.
        • Self-protection—the potential tyranny of fear. Encourage children to be open, to take risks, to face bullies, etc. Courage is the source of our individuality.
        • Self-centeredness—the potential tyranny of narcissism. Continually make children aware, respectful of and helpful to others. We were meant to help others in life.

- Joseph Gauld

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have ...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
        « Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 10:05:21 PM »
        Most children seem to "transcend" those primal "want" instincts with but little help from anyone, just by growing up. Joe seems to be still working on his transcendence, however.

Is Hyde School just one big rationalization for Joe's attempts to grow up and learn about himself? What an expensive playground.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
        « Reply #39 on: May 16, 2009, 01:57:42 PM »
        Quote from: "Scuba Duz"
        Most children seem to "transcend" those primal "want" instincts with but little help from anyone, just by growing up. Joe seems to be still working on his transcendence, however.

Is Hyde School just one big rationalization for Joe's attempts to grow up and learn about himself? What an expensive playground.

Good point.  Kids have been growing up long before '66 or '67.  We have a case of the rooster claiming credit for the sunrise here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
        « Reply #40 on: May 22, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »
        Quote from: "Mr. Bully himself"
        Self-protection—the potential tyranny of fear. Encourage children to be open, to take risks, to face bullies, etc. Courage is the source of our individuality.

At the heart of every bully is.. a coward.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Founder's Findings #9
        « Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »
        Founder's Findings #9: Raising teenagers
        10/21/2008

It is important to realize that teenagers experience a major brain transformation. For example, those who drink irresponsibly between the ages of 11 and 15 are five times more likely to become an alcoholic than those who drink irresponsibly at age 20.

Other facts:

• Teenagers do not think the way adults do. Thus, we must take extra care to make sure they really understand us, and we really understand them.
        • Since the risk taking part of their brain develops before their decision making frontal cortex, we need to realize they are going to be impulsive and often make poor decisions.
        • Their brains are experiencing a "use it or lose it" phase. If they are actively involved in academics, sports or music, those are the ruts being created. If they are a TV "couch potato" or playing video games, those are the ruts being created. We need to inspire them to seek real growth.

- Joseph Gauld

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
        « Reply #42 on: May 25, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »
        playing video games

One of the most valuable assets the Military currently has is this kid that grew up playing video games.  He flys predator drones for the Army.   He has a very high success rate.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
        « Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 02:28:23 AM »
        this shit is a riot!!!!! major brain transformation?? WoW I never knew!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Re: Founder's Findings #9
        « Reply #44 on: June 04, 2009, 12:53:14 AM »
        • Their brains are experiencing a "use it or lose it" phase. If they are actively involved in academics, sports or music, those are the ruts being created. If they are a TV "couch potato" or playing video games, those are the ruts being created. We need to inspire them to seek real growth.

Seems like Joe is mixing his metaphors a little here! "Use it or lose it" doesn't refer to ruts being created through preferential use, but to loss of muscle tone due to inactivity.