Author Topic: NEW BABY christening thread  (Read 9960 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
NEW BABY christening thread
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:39:45 AM »
HOkay...  SOMEbody's got to put in the first post on the new software, it may as well be me...  ;)

So maybe this thread should also be about glitches and flummoxes and problems, too... as we all get settled in...

One thing I really like is that quoted posts are made significantly smaller.  Makes for cleaner reading. 

On the other hand, there is a poorer emoticon mix, and avatars seem a little "smudgy" (at least mine is, lol).

Thanks for all the hard work, today, BTW!!!  (would put a bowing emoticon or a thumbs up, but can't find an appropriate one)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:33:51 PM by The Fornits »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: NEW BABY christening thread
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:20:25 AM »
Pretty nifty, eh? Lots of new toys to play with.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:45:35 AM »
why can't I post when signed in?

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:57:35 AM »
What shall I do with the links from Fornits Wiki. As far as I can see, the format of the url is different. Will various links from +200 page have to be redone?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 08:15:19 AM »
Quote from: "Covergaard"
What shall I do with the links from Fornits Wiki. As far as I can see, the format of the url is different. Will various links from +200 page have to be redone?

It looks like there has been some CLIPPING of the first character in certain places, and that may in some cases screw up the link if code has been entered a certain way.

For example:  The sig for Covergaard has the first letter missing.  I've noticed that the first letter is also missing in two other people's sigs...

Perhaps the first character, namely the initial enclosing bracket for the first TAG, is missing in some of these Wiki links?

Here's another oddity: In the following post, formatting has been screwed up because the first TAG for a "list" appears to be missing.  You can still see that the closing TAG is present, however.  But when I opened up the post to correct it, the opening TAG was still there!  Just not functional or visible.  Do the BBC Codes now need an extra space in front of them to be recognized for what they are?  Curious.  Haven't changed a thing on this post (yet), in the hopes that the formatting glitch may be informative...

http://fornits.com/smf/index.php/topic, ... #msg305550
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:35:44 AM by Ursus »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:42:03 AM »
Well... editing activity now shows up even when you were the last post, and you just went it 'cause you forgot to add something...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 08:51:09 AM »
Forums within the Grand Three Sub-Sections (General, Tech, Behav Mod industry) are not sorting according to time/date of last post, but according to when they were originally added to the roster (I'm guessing re. that last).

Suffice it to say that these forums are following the fixed order of that little pull-down menu at the bottom of every page when you're on the threads...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
The signatures for a lot of people seem to be a little worse for the move...  That might be easiest for people to change themselves, barring extreme cases.

One thing I might point out is that the BBC code for font size is apparently a little different in SMF than it is in phpBB.  This seems to have been accommodated appropriately in the thread texts during the upgrade (based on an admittedly cursory look), but not in people's signatures.

Whereas previously you could just enter a font size number as in "size=12", now you have to specify "size=12pt" (with brackets subbed for the quotation marks).

Also, I have seen the first character clipped off of most of (perhaps all of) user's signatures.  Poor Odie, who saw fit to just sign his username as his sig... His sig now reads as a less-than-friendly final word to his readers: die.    ;D

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »
There is now apparently a size limit for posts? I got the following error message when previewing a post for Diamond Ranch Academy. The post in question is their Accreditation Report of 2005.

The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters).

I'm not sure that chopping up the accreditation report into smaller bits is a good idea.

Offline The Fornits

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »
Quote from: "TSW"
why can't I post when signed in?

The custom usergroups used to assign you your clever label after your name, when trasnsferred from phpbb, set your permissions to zilch.  It's reset now.

Offline The Fornits

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 12:10:20 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
There is now apparently a size limit for posts? I got the following error message when previewing a post for Diamond Ranch Academy. The post in question is their Accreditation Report of 2005.

The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters).

I'm not sure that chopping up the accreditation report into smaller bits is a good idea.

It's fixed now.

Offline The Fornits

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 12:13:24 PM »
Well... editing activity now shows up even when you were the last post, and you just went it 'cause you forgot to add something...

Yeah... and it shows up for moderators too.  so Whooter can't be doing his "somebody modified my post... I didn't write that" shtick...  There is a 90 second grace period, afaik, but that can be changed.

Offline The Fornits

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 12:16:20 PM »
Quote from: "Covergaard"

Nope... The PhpBB version of this forum is staying where it is for archival purposes.  It's locked for editing, but it's probably a good idea to keep it around (for reasons such as yours, google, and for the thousands of links to Fornits posts on this forum that would have to be somehow changed...  In short: point your browsers to www.fornits.com/smf from now on.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »
Forums within the Grand Three Sub-Sections (General, Tech, Behav Mod industry) are not sorting according to time/date of last post, but according to when they were originally added to the roster (I'm guessing re. that last).

Suffice it to say that these forums are following the fixed order of that little pull-down menu at the bottom of every page when you're on the threads...

I'll see if there is an option to sort that out.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline The Fornits

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »
The signatures for a lot of people seem to be a little worse for the move...  That might be easiest for people to change themselves, barring extreme cases.

One thing I might point out is that the BBC code for font size is apparently a little different in SMF than it is in phpBB.  This seems to have been accommodated appropriately in the thread texts during the upgrade (based on an admittedly cursory look), but not in people's signatures.

Whereas previously you could just enter a font size number as in "size=12", now you have to specify "size=12pt" (with brackets subbed for the quotation marks).

Also, I have seen the first character clipped off of most of (perhaps all of) user's signatures.  Poor Odie, who saw fit to just sign his username as his sig... His sig now reads as a less-than-friendly final word to his readers: die.    ;D

Yes.  Many of the signatures are hosed... Why, exactly? I have no clue.  But as you mentioned, it's not really possible for me to edit them all (well... maybe it is, but I don't have 20000 years to do it), so it's probably easiest for people to fix it themselves.