Author Topic: So what DOES work?  (Read 15832 times)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2006, 09:37:20 PM »
In addition to NOT sending the boy to a behaviour mod school, I would wait and see what the shrink says. If the boy is really ill he will be able to help. If not he can possibly put your mind at rest and help the boy with his feelings of depression & the need to take a lot of drugs in a fairly gentle compassionate way.

As to the poor grades thing, perhaps you and your son could consider him getting a trade. If this is something he is interested in he will be being earning money to learn a useful and potentially highly paid skill. The other advantage of an apprenticeship for many young people is that they are exposed to an adult mentor who they can look up to without feeling patronised. Perhaps the kid is not interested in college right now. If he wants to go a few years down the track, you will still have the money tucked away or he may have earned it himself in his skilled and possibly well paying job. My brother is the only one of my siblings who did not go down the university road and he earns a fantastic living as a chef.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2006, 09:42:52 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Now now Deb.  We can't have any common sense thrown into the mix.

:wink:  :D

Unfortunately, it's not common. In fact, likely to be viewed as commy, hippie, liberal, radical, fringe. What the hell.
I do think Weil is right on the money about our inherent desire to alter our consciousness. War on Inherent Instincts- a loosing battle. Actually a winning, and lucrative battle for those who promote it.

Another one of my infamous parenting resource books is "Fuck Yes".
From the Chapter "Say Yes to Teenage Sex"
Dad has just reported to wife and daughter, that the answer to any question is "Yes'.
Dulcinea: Is a girl always supposed to say 'yes' when a boy asks her a question?
Dad: I think so. Yes.
Dul: Always? Are you telling me to always say Yes to a boy?
Dad: Oh, do you think that I'm telling you what you should do, honey? If you think so, you're wrong. You probably would be best off if you decided for yourself what is good or bad for you. I am only suggesting for you to consider that the best answer you could give to any question is the answer, Yes.
Dul: You?re just trying to get out of it, Pa. Answer me straight. Do you think a girl should answer Yes to a boy? (She thought she had me) And added, And you know very well what sort of question I?m talking about.
Dad: Yes, Dulcinea, you should tell him Yes.
My wife slapped her forehead with her open palm and looked up to heaven as though appealing to God for relief from my endless stupidity. Dulcinea stared at me with mouth hanging slightly open.
Dad: Yes honey, when a boy asks you to have sex with him, the best answer you can give him is Yes. Thought about my answer, then again? Say Yes Dulcinea. It?s a good answer. Call him by name. Say, yes Bill, let?s do it if you really want to.
She stared as though she were thinking, "Is this my dad talking?"
Yes, Dulcie, this is your dad talking. Look, honey, you could tell him how proud and honored you are that he?s asked. You could say, Thanks Bill. And you could tell him you think he?s a very brave guy.
Dul: Huh?
Dad: Sure, Honey. Tell him he?s really brave. You could say, Bill, there are very few guys who are willing to risk giving up high school for a girl. I appreciate the chance you?re taking. Remind him that the two of you might be lucky enough to have a little baby together. Tell him you?d like to plan the future with him. He can go get some little job-maybe making hamburgers some place-and when he gets home you?ll fix him mac and cheese.
Dulcinea made a face. She hates mac and cheese.
Dad: Well, if you?d like to avoid cooking dinners and skipping high school, you can always kill the kid.
Dul: Dad, that?s gross.
Dad: I know it, honey, so maybe you?d like to have his company when you have to go through it. You could say to him, Bill, I think we should get an abortion, but honestly I want to have you there when they do it. Say to him, They stick these metal things up inside a girl and scrape the little baby away, so would you come into the OR with me? After all, it is our little baby. Ours together, Bill.
Dulcineas made a face like she'd been offered creamed squash.
Dul: Why does anyone do it.
Dad: Yes it does get complicated, huh, Dulcie? You know, after you?ve said all this to Bill, he might be a little less excited about making love than when the idea first hit him, but if he?s got any sort of head at all on his shoulders, he?ll start thinking about birth control.
Dulcinea smiled and nodded.
Dad: Well Dulcie, I think you should tell him that?s a good idea, and you?d like to talk it over with him. Say, That?s a good idea, what do you think we should use? Wanna use a rubber or that foam stuff? ?(more graphic details of abortion....)
He may think that you?re talking too much, Dulcie, but women should talk; after all it?s your body, right?
Dul: Nodding, I guess so.
Dad: After all he loves you, right?
Dul: Shrugs. I guess.
Dad: Well of course he does. Tell him how happy that makes you. Say, I love you, Bill, and I know you love me, and that?s going to make my parents very happy. They?re going to be thrilled to learn about the intensity of our relationship. Grab him by the hand and say, Let?s go tell Mom and Dad right now.
Dulcinea put her hand over her mouth again to keep herself from giggling, trying to keep a straight face.
Say to him, It?ll be our first night together, Bill. Go rent a room at the Downtown Hilton, and have them send up room service with some champagne so that it?ll be really nice for us. It only costs a hundred dollars. Bring me some flowers.
Dul: Oh Pa, lots of guys have a hundred dollars these days.
She looked at me, a small smile on her lips, and some affection for me showing in her eyes, as though she was both fond and proud of me for having faith in her, for giving her more freedom and respect than she expected. I had the feeling that she might have come across the room and given me a hug, except that that is an awkward thing to do when you are thirteen and building your independence, your identity.
I would have liked that. A hug.
Rarely able to keep my mouth shut for long, I started talking again, telling her, See Dulcie, if you say Yes to him this way, you?ll avoid having to reject him. He, himself, may reject all the responsibility you?re offering him. And maybe you?ll both be safer and stronger because you talked about it.
Dul: Yeah, I guess so.
Dad: You see, probably, at first, he would have been thinking that his big problem is to get you to have sex with him, but with this sort of answer you get yourself out of the way, you will stop being the problem, and then he?ll notice there are other questions, like: how much do you really care for one another, and what does all of that lead to.
Dul: Hey, yeah, that?s right. Hey, I got to do my homework; we got finals next week.

But she stuck around for a while talking with Astoria about a blouse. A little later she started toward her room, but after a few steps she turned back to face me. There was a tough little gleam in her eye. She very independently said to me, Well, what if I want to? The pill is very safe, you know. Lots of kids use it, you know.
A wave of tiredness swept over me. I wondered if she?d heard anything I?d tried to tell her. Had anything I?d said made it easier for her to handle her life?
Dul: Well?
She was failing to understand that I was serious, that I was finished with fucking around, that I meant what I said. Was it the same with Astoria, I wondered? Did she fail to understand, too?
Dul: Well, should I say Yes?
Dad: I?m you father, honey. I?m happy to share with you everything I know and everything I have. But your life is your own. Live it as best you can.
Dul: Okay. And skipped lightly out of the room.
 :lol:

Wonder if this approach might work with program parents.... Yes, by all means, send your child to a program; think of what you'll have to look forward to..........you know the rest of the story.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2006, 09:48:42 PM »
Right mate I hate to say it but me and Dul went out about 2 hours later and I banged her up the gary glitter.

Bill.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2006, 10:22:57 PM »
I would try and talk to him, and find out where his passions lie. If it means you have to spend some money on him, so be it. It's not rewarding him for bad behaivor. It's getting him focused on more healthy things for entertainment purposes.

If you cannot deal with him, and need to remove him from the situation, then I recommend Heritage School in Provo, UT. They've been around for 20+ years and have never been acused of abuse. They are a program that puts money back into their programs to make it fun for the kids. They also combine a ton of therapy too.

Good luck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2006, 10:32:04 PM »
Red flag 1: The location is Provo, Utah. Never send your kid to Utah. A quick search of Fornits will tell you why.

Red flag 2: It's NATSAP. Never send your kid to a NATSAP school. HLA's owner, Len Buccellato, runs NATSAP, and HLA is being sued into oblivion for several good reasons.

As for the abuse allegations, well.. paging CCM Girl 1989 to the thread. CCM Girl, you have a thread holding on the main forum, CCM Girl to the main forum, please...

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2006, 11:03:48 PM »
No, even though Heritage School is located in Provo, Utah Heritage is a very good school.

When I went there it was pretty strict, but they had a ton of great things to counteract that pool, volleyball, softball field, horses. It is way more lax now. I've talked to students recently released and I described the way it was back in 1986-1989 and they all say it's way different and for the better, they were shocked at how strict it was when I went there.

They go off campus a lot more, they have a soccor team for the girls (which they started the last year I was there) and we played off campus. The boys have a baseball or football team that competes off campus too. They have co-ed dances. It's like a boarding/RTC.

If you are going to send them away for help, which I would rather NOT see, but if you must Heritage is a good place. NATSAP no NATSAP, I don't care. They put a lot of money back into the program to make sure the kids have the best, and they do.

Most of the programs on here on this site started out bad, and got worse. Heritage started out kinda shitty but started to get better and better over the 3 years I was there, and now it's a decent safe place. They now pick and choose who they accept in. That allows them not to have to run such a tight ship. They are allowed phone calls from approved friends.......where as that was not the case when I was there. Only your parents once a week for 10 minutes. Some programs get better with age.........some go bad, kinda like wine I suppose.

But, try to talk to your child first. Always go that route, and use this school as a last resort.
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2006, 11:22:17 PM »
You can check out a couple things:

1. The schools website www.heritagertc.org

2. The group on myspace that has a bunch of the students on there. There is a topic called, when were you there? Started by me. I urge you to go check it out. I say what it was like back in the 80's, and the girls told me how it is now. http://groups.myspace.com/heritagertcutah
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2006, 11:24:13 PM »
*blinks*

Mmm, crow. Tastes like chicken. I'm glad I asked you.

Wonder what they're doing in Provo, of all places, and what they're doing in NATSAP then.

They now pick and choose who they accept in.

Ah. That explains it.

It'd still be expensive, it'd still separate you from your son, and if you were to make such a decision, I'd recommend reading the fine print carefully; programs often have agreements to move students between each other, and one false move on his part and he could end up somewhere else.

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2006, 11:37:25 PM »
If you don't like what I have to say, geez I am so sorry!!!! I'm not going to be the type of person 100% against programs. I think it is a much better program then you give it credit for! If they decide to send their son away,, because they are too much of wimp to deal with it themselves...then I hope it's too a good program like Heritage.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2006, 12:30:31 AM »
but even if a programme is quite caring and non abusive, why would you be in favour of it in principal?
Wouldn't a kid who is potenitially in real trouble do better by being drawn closer to loved ones? I can see the argument that if a kid is going to be sent they should at least go somewhere compassionate but without knowing what the kids specific problem is, when would it ever be wise to send a kid to a place which has a catch all approach? How can any broad programme deal adequately with all adolescent problems when they can be diverse and complex?
The heritage website for instance lists a pretty wide range of things to send kids for. Can one place really adequately meet the needs of both kids with aspergers disorder as well as kids who have mental illnesses or behavioural issues?
This look to me like the best a parent can hope for is that their kid wont have a terrible time. But this does not necessarily adress the problems the kid may be having.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2006, 12:50:12 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
but even if a programme is quite caring and non abusive, why would you be in favour of it in principal?
Wouldn't a kid who is potenitially in real trouble do better by being drawn closer to loved ones? I can see the argument that if a kid is going to be sent they should at least go somewhere compassionate but without knowing what the kids specific problem is, when would it ever be wise to send a kid to a place which has a catch all approach? How can any broad programme deal adequately with all adolescent problems when they can be diverse and complex?
The heritage website for instance lists a pretty wide range of things to send kids for. Can one place really adequately meet the needs of both kids with aspergers disorder as well as kids who have mental illnesses or behavioural issues?
This look to me like the best a parent can hope for is that their kid wont have a terrible time. But this does not necessarily adress the problems the kid may be having.

Good points OZ girl.  Personally, I think parents should seek help in their community or as close to home as possible. Sending kids away is NOT the best way to deal with teen behavioral issues.  Family therapy, particularly multisystemic therapy has been PROVEN to be the most effective, even for the most difficult kids.  

Maia Szalavitz should know.  She wrote a best seller on the topic.  Parents should at least visit her website and educate themselves about this industry and what works according to experts.  She spent 2 years researching the troubled teens industry and was also in a program herself.  Definitly a book that every parent SHOULD BE REQUIRED to read, IMO.

http://www.helpatanycost.com

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2006, 11:47:46 AM »
I have always said I would prefer parents take a more hands on approach when it comes to raising a teen. There is always going to be problems during that time, no child is perfect. They are mini-adults that are testing by trial and error.

But, there are parents who just plain suck at parenting. It's not the kids fault, the communities fault, but the PARENTS fault!!!! I can tell you that Heritage has always done things properly. I was in Heber, Utah when the facility was being built in Provo. They put soooo much money into it, they built 5 brand new homes, put in a horse stable, and arena stocked with 8 horses complete with riding instructor, a brand new pool with a slide that they would cover in winter so we could still use it, a huge softball field, a professional volleyball pit, and we had teachers with different classrooms atleast 10 of them if not more who all teached different subjects. We had only women working at the girls school, not "houseparents". It was a pretty good place in the 80's, and over the years they've dumped even more money into it making it better.

They have been around for 20 years without lawsuits, there's not a bunch of kids crying on myspace about abuse, which they would atleast complain to their friends if it happened. I don't know, there are parents who get a big fat F in parenting, and there kids shouldn't have to suffer because of that.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2006, 05:45:41 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 09:23:29 AM by Guest »
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2006, 05:57:43 PM »
I agree with Might Ard.  Coercive treatment doesn't help kids, it bullies them into submission.  Not saying that's Heritage, but any level system that makes kids earn basic human rights is not effective IMO.

Does Heritage accept kids under forced transport?  Do they pay finders' fees to referral companies?  Do parents get to see or talk to their kids regularly?  The true test - can kids go home for the holidays or do they have to be at a certain "level" of behavior? Do they hunt kids down who run away and bring em' back or let them speak to law enforcement or a social worker?  These are all questions I would personally ask if I was considering any kind of locked residential treatment program or school.  I have many more.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2006, 06:05:27 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 09:21:25 AM by Guest »
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.