Author Topic: worried  (Read 20614 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« on: January 23, 2006, 12:21:00 AM »
I have a child at HLA and I'm worried about the posts that I have been reading.  Does anyone have any current information on the conditions there?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 12:28:00 AM »
As far as we can tell things havent changed much.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:30:00 AM »
My child has seemed to go down hill since going there.  They said this is normal and that he will get worse before he gets better.  They said not to expect to see any improvement for at least a year.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »
On 2006-01-22 21:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

"My child has seemed to go down hill since going there.  They said this is normal and that he will get worse before he gets better.  They said not to expect to see any improvement for at least a year."

You are seeing the typical results.  The kids do worse and worse (wait until you see how they try to cope with reality when they get home) while HLA says "it's normal."  When your kid needs to be pulled because they're doing so poorly they disrupt the environment HLA will tell you that your kid "didn't work the program."

They take credit for the few successes and blame the kids for the many more failures.

You're getting fleeced while your kid gets neglected by unlicensed quacks.  GO GET YOUR KID SOME REAL HELP.  PULL HIM AND TAKE HIM TO A PROFESSIONAL PROVIDER.

Where in the world did you get the idea that behavior modification can "fix" mental hygiene issues?  Oh yeah, HLA told you that. :roll:
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »
On 2006-01-22 21:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I have a child at HLA and I'm worried about the posts that I have been reading.  Does anyone have any current information on the conditions there?"

The person who would know that best is your child. How often are you allowed to talk to him/her? Have you asked? Is your child allowed to speak freely? When is your next visit? Compile a list of questions (concerns) and ask them on the next visit. Ask for copies of your child's 'restriction folders' to review- looking for how often and for what reason s/he was placed on restriciton and for how long. Does the punishment fit the crime?
HLA is too heavy on the punishment aspect of BM, imo. It can cause a child to be confused about how to meet their expectations, when every real, and sometimes perceived, thing is punished. It takes a good while for most kids to figure out what they have to do to get by- learn to respond to their liking, how to 'act' to avoid punishment. Until then, there can be a period of hopelessness, depression, and/or increased defiance; which could land them in RC.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »
On 2006-01-22 21:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

"My child has seemed to go down hill since going there.  They said this is normal and that he will get worse before he gets better.  They said not to expect to see any improvement for at least a year."

This is a joke.  Even the most mentally disturbed kids show great improvement and are normally stabilized enough for outpatient treatment after TWO WEEKS of inpatient treatment.

Lady, these people are hucksters and snakeoil salesmen.  Wake up to the facts: BM DOESN'T WORK.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »
I'm allowed to talk to him once a week for ten minutes, but his phone calls are monitored on their end.  Negative talk at the program is considered manipulation.  Suicidal statements are punished with restriction...again considered manipulation.  Ridgecreek is used as minor infractions mount up.  They call it grounding.  I call it boot camp.  My child complained that he wasn't adequately clothed to keep him warm against the cold at night.  I feel like my child is sometimes being punished for the symptoms of his psychological problems.  I feel frustrated with the whole process.  I thought I was sending him to utopia where he could work on his self esteem and get help for his underlying problems but instead it looks like a gulag.  I sent him there because I wanted him to be safe, but I'm afraid I have made a terrible mistake.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »
The information on this forum is not reliable. Do not be alarmed.  Your child is the best source of information.  Also, post on http://www.strugglingteens.com in the program section for information from other parents who CURRENTLY or RECENTLY have kids at HLA. The people on this board are living in the past- and a fantast past, at that.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 09:21:00 AM »
On 2006-01-23 06:11:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The information on this forum is not reliable. Do not be alarmed.  Your child is the best source of information.  Also, post on http://www.strugglingteens.com in the program section for information from other parents who CURRENTLY or RECENTLY have kids at HLA. The people on this board are living in the past- and a fantast past, at that."

Like this one:

I'm allowed to talk to him once a week for ten minutes, but his phone calls are monitored on their end. Negative talk at the program is considered manipulation. Suicidal statements are punished with restriction...again considered manipulation. Ridgecreek is used as minor infractions mount up. They call it grounding. I call it boot camp. My child complained that he wasn't adequately clothed to keep him warm against the cold at night. I feel like my child is sometimes being punished for the symptoms of his psychological problems. I feel frustrated with the whole process. I thought I was sending him to utopia where he could work on his self esteem and get help for his underlying problems but instead it looks like a gulag. I sent him there because I wanted him to be safe, but I'm afraid I have made a terrible mistake.

Thought you were sending him to "utopia" huh?  Who put that idea in your head?  Lemme guess, Kathleen ("Little Stalin") the marketing director?

Did she happen to tell you that HLA's recidivism rate is worse than that of the prison system?  How about that "working on self esteem" means a one-size-fits-all behavior modification (punishment) level system?  I didn't think so.  :roll:
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »
On 2006-01-23 06:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'm allowed to talk to him once a week for ten minutes, but his phone calls are monitored on their end.  Negative talk at the program is considered manipulation.  Suicidal statements are punished with restriction...again considered manipulation.  Ridgecreek is used as minor infractions mount up.  They call it grounding.  I call it boot camp.  My child complained that he wasn't adequately clothed to keep him warm against the cold at night.  I feel like my child is sometimes being punished for the symptoms of his psychological problems.  I feel frustrated with the whole process.  I thought I was sending him to utopia where he could work on his self esteem and get help for his underlying problems but instead it looks like a gulag.  I sent him there because I wanted him to be safe, but I'm afraid I have made a terrible mistake."

You should read some stories of how they "treat" anorexia.  They start by punishing the child for not eating, then make her stand out in the freezing cold rain as a "consequence" then put her on restrictions for "manipulating."

Sure sounds like some valid clinical processes to me.  

Why would you think that an unlicensed residential treatment center is going to provide real therapy that gets to the root of the problem?

What they do is punish the child for exhibiting symptoms of a true psychiatric disorder as if behavior modification addresses psychopathology.  Have anorexia and don't eat?  Restrictions.  Have "ODD" and act out?  Restrictions.  Have tourettes and curse at a teacher?  Restrictions.  Learning disabled and act out in class?  Restrictions.  

What can't be fixed with a little extra punishment?  Well, maybe graft.  That seems to go on unceasingly at HLA.

YOU HAVE SENT YOUR KID TO UNLICENSED, UNTRAINED, BIZARRELY BEHAVING QUACKS.  GO GET YOUR KID and bring him to a professional in your community who can help treat psychiatric disorders in a proven, effective manner.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
On 2006-01-23 06:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

Negative talk at the program is considered manipulation.  Suicidal statements are punished with restriction...again considered manipulation.  Ridgecreek is used as minor infractions mount up.  They call it grounding.  I call it boot camp.  My child complained that he wasn't adequately clothed to keep him warm against the cold at night.  I feel like my child is sometimes being punished for the symptoms of his psychological problems.

You have some legitimate concerns.
Many programs, such as HLA, sprang from the CEDU method, which you can read more about in the CEDU forum. It is typical in 99% of programs to monitor calls and 'consequence' negative comments.
My son was put out overnight at RC with a black trash bag to lay on and a pancho to cover his head. No water, no food, no flashlight. It was cold and he was vomitting. No one in ear shot to hear his calls for help. They have no tent to protect from rattlesnakes, etc and a person who lived there claimed that bears frequently disturbed her trashcans.
You can't punish away suicidal thoughts, or any other human distress.  
Seek an independent professional who can access the form of 'treatment' your child is receiving. The professionals I consulted with advised me to remove my son asap. Read the link above.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
On 2006-01-22 21:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I have a child at HLA and I'm worried about the posts that I have been reading.  Does anyone have any current information on the conditions there?"

What are the first names of your child's counselors?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »
My problem with disclosing that information is that if any one at HLA is monitoring this site they may be able to figure out who my child is and I don't want them to be punished because I'm speaking out about my concerns.  I just want to know if anyone has had any positive experiences.  I tried the link to struggling teens but was unable to locate any positive reports other than the campus visit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
worried
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
Go up there unannounced and insist on speaking to your child privately.