Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 8990 times)

dragonfly

Recipes
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 07:43:00 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
Recipes
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 11:14:00 PM »
Dang, I shoulda signed in to post my fish recipe. I figured people would make fun of fish in mud ..  :razz:
That's good stuff, we use to make it where I worked alot. And fresh hand ground corn cakes cooked on a flat stone, sometimes we added dried berries to them . Sometimes we'd have a clay pot of previously dried indian corn, pumpkin or other squash and anasazi beeans. All of which we had grown on the site that year. Good times, cooking on an open fire. I'll post my spit roasted ham recipe in a bit =). Somewhere I have true 17th century recipes, I'll post some neat stuff when I un-pack more. Enjoy you all!

Offline misbehaver

• View Profile
Recipes
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
WD, I wondered if that was you after the pemmican post. I look forward to your other recipes. Maybe an exchange of info on herbs and edible plants (I'm lacking there) for some of the skills that I'm more proficient with.? Prob take this to PM since it's not straight related. Sound cool? Jason

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
Recipes
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »
Start with a well rinsed ham, or any chunk of meat is fine also. Cut X's kinda scattered all over.

Prepare a mixture of garlic, thyme, sage, onion, lil salt and pepper. Mix these type of herbs in a bit of butter to make a paste (more herbs than butter). Fill each X-slot with the mixture.

Make-shift a spit over a hot fire so that your meat will be about 6-10 inches over the flame. Spear your meat onto a spit and cook over the fire for 2-whenever hours, turning it every 30 min or so. Since I prefered dry texture meats, I cook mine until it is getting some slightly charred areas. Take down and slice as usual.

** If you are using rabbit, you can use the animal gutted and head removed. We would often use dried currents, rose-hips, a tiny bit of persimmon fruit, dried blackberries, or any safe dried berry, when cooking a gamey animal. Grind these into an almost powder and then use instead of herbs.

* whole chickens on a spit, I would stuff the bird  with an herb mixture and large cut onions before spearing it, same with small game birds. If the bird is too small to spit roast, Try tieing it to a string or use a fishing hook to secure it to a string. We cooked inside the longhouse alot during very cold months and would hang the strings from the cross bars for the loft. Hang the meat/bird/squirrel over the fire and spin until fully cooked. Spinning works rather well for small meats. Todays cornish game hens cooked nicely when using the spinning technique.

True corn meal corn cakes ( I still make these in my house to go with dinner alot ):::

If you are not using homegrown/dried/ground cornmeal; I buy the kind from the store with the indian guy on the bag. Yellow, white or blue ground corn is fine. FIRST, boil water. Put your ground corn into a large bowl that can be covered. Add enough boiling water to make a good dough, Form the corm meal and water into a tight ball and cover tightly for 20 minutes.(This allows the meal to cook and become softened, this step is most important) Once the meal is steam cooked, make into pattys.

**If using a rock in a fire to cook, spread on the rock a thin layer of animal fat/lard/butter (whatever is available) And cook the cakes on the flat rock (which has been heated in the fire for a few hours). You will want the rock still in the fire pit and very close to the flames, but not in the flames. I would normally sit my flat rock on a bed of hot coals. Cook cakes until browned.

**If cooking inside on a stove... Use bacon type grease in a large pan. Only use enough grease to cover the bottom of the pan and cook until browned.

A fine spreadable cheese for your corn cakes; Believe it or not, the colonist had a creamed cheese, closely resembling todays creamed cheeses.. So I just buy todays 1/3 fat creamed cheese. I mix up a mixture of Sage, thyme, tarragon, garlic, tiny bit of onion, and rosemary. Add mixture to the creamed cheese and spread on corn cakes or crackers.

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
Recipes
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »
I cooked this on an open fire, hanging my cast iron cauldron from a spit (using an S hook) Start by heating the pot and adding 1/2 cup of butter. Don't let it burn....Add a little finely chopped garlic. Have 3-4 cups of Barely soaking in warm water for atleast an hour.

Cut 2-3 sweet onion into inch by inch squares. Add these to the hot butter sauce and cook until onions are carmalized. You may need to add bits of water to keep the mixture moist and not burning to the pan/pot. Once the onions are all brown and carmalized, add the pre-soaked barely and mix into the onions. Add enough fresh water to cover the mixture, let cook for another hour+, stirring frequently, covering and uncovered as you see fit( member the barley will need to soften, so steam is your friend).You may need to add water through-out the cooking. Careful stirring, your not making Mush ... You should finish with a nice carmel brown colored soupy mixture with soft kernels of barely. This is super yummy! If you have some bits of stew bef, pork, other meats or dried meat chunks, This is a good base to add those to.

I always made corn cakes and herb cheese to accompany this Soop.

Fried Squash! (my favorite)

Slice any type of fresh squash (today I use yellow) into 1/4 inch thick slices. Prepare a mixture of ground corn meal and herbs such as; Thyme, rosemary, sage, garlic. Mix into a dry meal. Wet each squash slice and roll in herb/cornmeal mixture. Cover each slice completely . If not cooking inside on a stove....On an open fire you can place a frying pan on a pedestal of rocks w/ fire under them or there are pans w/ 3 legs to stand over a fire. Add butter, oil, or lard to the pan and heat.(just enough grease to fill the bottom of the pan) Add in a single layer your coated squash and cook until browned, turning once during the cooking as to brown both sides. You will have to cook a single layer over and over until all is cooked. Serve with dinner.

&**Sorry, I know it isn't straight related, but now you all have me thinking of all the cool stuff I cook/cooked. And we all cook, and some of us need survival skill cooking at times =) And how cheap is onion soop... wayyyyy cheap.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Recipes
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »
On 2005-12-16 13:23:00, Withdraw wrote:

&**Sorry, I know it isn't straight related, but

Where is that fuckin' moderator, anyway!

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands, flying through space with all other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty.
-- John Muir

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Recipes
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »
Fowl roasting tip.

However you're making heat, make a whole bitch of a lot of it, like 500° of it. When you season the bird, glaze it with any kind of high temp oil, from olive to lard or almost any of the nuts. Singe that bitch (turning if you don't have a means of confinement) till you just see a change in color. Take it outa the intense heat while you bring it down to a reasonable, cheeruful 250° or so glow. Finish cooking as usual. If you're catching the pot liquore, it'll be a bit heavy on the fat and light on everything else than normal pot liquore. That's cuz most of the stock never makes it out of the meat.

Oh, Rosemerry! All fowl love rosemerry, don't they?

Any Irishman who doubts the reality of selective enforcement ought to take just a moment to comtemplate the etymology of the term "paddy waggon".
--Antigen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Recipes
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 11:11:00 PM »
So where is the fresh berry coffee cake recipe?

Offline ex-prisoner

• View Profile
Recipes
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 11:50:00 PM »
oh, you mean the oatmeal and maple syrup thing I started? i could go either way with that. add some water, make rich oatmeal, add some fire, make crunchy granola. what about tartlets? tarlets, tartlets... word loses all meaning...

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Recipes
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2005, 12:08:00 AM »
Oh shit. Ya know, I looked over the recipe and decided it wasn't near rough enough. I made it outa fresh berries when we did my dadn's memorial during a state of emergency level flood out in the sticks in WV. But his little kitchen in that trailer was well stocked.

But, if you really want it...

around two cups or more of fresh or frozen fruit
few tblsp water
1 cu sugar, any kind will do
2T corn startch or equivalent of any statch
1.75 cu flour
.5 t powder
.25 t soda
6 T shortening (anything mild)
1 egg
.5 c butter or sour milk or equiv (sour cream or yogart thinned works)
Flavor extract (almond goes good w/ apple or peach, vanila w/ berries... again, any kind)

1 bowl, one 8x8 or so pan (preheat pan if it's heavy, like cast iron or glass) a fork, a spoon, 2nd small pan if cleanup is a hassle.

in pan, mix .25 cu sugar w/ startch, add the fruit, chopped w/ a couple tablespoons water. Cook till tender and bubbly. Mint or other seasonings can be added here. I like hot pepper w/ apple n cinnimon type stuff.

in bowl, .5 cu sugar, 1.5 cu flour, soda and powder. Cut in 4T of the shortening. Make a well. Fill it w/ egg, flavor and milk stuff and mix it as well as you can w/o bringing in all the dry stuff. Treat it like buiscuts, only much looser. Toss it gently just till moist.

Put half in the baking pan (greased, please), cover w/ fruit, dalop on the rest in serving size pieces. Remember, only you know the size of a serving in your family. Scrape every last little bit so the bowl's pretty clean. Toss together the rest of the flour and sugar and cut in the rest of the shortening. That's the crumb topping. It's a good place to stash some seasonings too. Bake moderate about 45 min or cover pan tightly and cook very low till steamed through (better when baked, though, cuz the crumb topping gets all crispy and nice)

See? Not entirely practical for survival, unless you survive a neutron bomb or something.

Q. I simply ask, why is PUNISHMENT the solution with regards to the narrow group of behaviors which encompass illegal drug use....?

A.Pharmaceutical Business, both legal and illegal, run by the same people either way, money coming to the middle from both ends.  Bush.
http://www.luxefaire.com/' target='_new'>Bill Gallagher

dragonfly

Recipes
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Recipes
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2005, 11:01:00 AM »
On 2005-12-17 06:44:00, dragonfly wrote:

"One can of salmon, drain the water off for your cats and dogs.

add about a half cup of cornmeal and about 3/4 cup wheat flour, maybe more if you think it needs it later.

a little baking powder, no salt

lots of chopped garlic, fresh parsley, some finely diced onion and some black pepper.

stir and stir and stir and stir, mixing in a little water as I want you to, it should hold together, be mixable but not at all runny

make them into little pattys and slowly fry them in a covered skillet until both sides are crispy and browned the way you like.

serve with turnip greens and sweet potato  
"

Dragonfly, how do you cook your greens? With or without meat? I like mine simmered practically all day.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Recipes
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »
Oh what the hell I shall contribute. This is a Czechoslovakian recipe that my grandmother would make:

Bread dough (make your own or buy it)

Ground beef (PC version ground turkey or fake meat may be used)

Onion, garlic, and whatever seasonings you like

Cabbage

Cook meat, cabbage, onions, garlic, and seasonings together till done.

Take one chunk of dough at a time and scoop spoonful of mixture in middle. Bring dough over opening and close.

Cook 20 minutes or so on 350 (mind you the temp on my oven is whacked) and brush with butter the last few minutes.

Enjoy.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

dragonfly

Recipes
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Recipes
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2005, 05:45:00 PM »
Recipe for those that dont or refuse to cook....including myself.  :rofl:

1. Open frozen dinner box

2. Insert in microwave

3. Set timer

4. Press Start

5. Go do something else

6. Timer goes off

7. Remove covering

8. Eat
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell