Author Topic: The ecstasy epidemic  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« on: December 13, 2002, 10:22:00 AM »
I am interested in anyones thoughts on this.  

Is it just me, or is this whole new hullabaloo about X really just a bit humorous? I mean, 10-12 years ago it was just as prevalent in the club scene as it is now in the rave scene....and nobody said a word about it.  There was no talk about epidemics or deaths (not that they didnt occur)or any of this crap nowadays.  Its like they are trying to scare the shit out of people about ex.  I am not trying to justify the use of it, I myself cant handle that kind of high long since anymore, but it just seems like all of a sudden its all splashed all over the media like its the new heroin or something.  

Also, if I recall correctly ex was NOT physically addictive.  There is no such thing as ex withdrawls or simialr nonsense.  If you are taking a hit of ex every single day, thats a personal choice, albeit an idiotic one.  Its not because your body becomes dependednt on it.  Thats ludicrous.  

I guess I was just noticing really how much the DFAF and simialar organizations focus on the substance, and not the root cause of the substance abuse.  I suppose it has always been that way, it just galls me to see them taking up a new flag for this drug that has been around forever, and now all of a sudden is Satan incarnate.  Maybe because they are losing their grip on the fight about MJ?  Time to take up a new cause with twisted statistics and health information?

Demonizing the substance is an easy way to releive themselves of responsibility, while pretending to be saviours.  "Your kids are on drugs, they need intervention"   well, what about stable homelife, non-abusive, non-neglectful parents, an environment free form sexual abuse.  What about all of that? Oh no, they dont deal in real issues, its the kids fault, the kids problem.......

These people are the snake oil salesman of our generation.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 10:42:00 AM »
Carmel wrote: "Is it just me, or is this whole new hullabaloo about X really just a bit humorous? I mean, 10-12 years ago it was just as prevalent in the club scene as it is now in the rave scene....and nobody said a word about it...
it just seems like all of a sudden its all splashed all over the media like its the new heroin or something."  

- Yeah, seems like whenever the media gets on a topic they milk it to DEATH, LOL...why do you think we were treated to 5000 hours of the goddam OJ trial?!!

"Also, if I recall correctly ex was NOT physically addictive.  There is no such thing as ex withdrawls or simialr nonsense..."

- Although a potentially dangerous drug, probably NOT addictive...

"Time to take up a new cause with twisted statistics and health information?"

- Makes sense...

"Demonizing the substance is an easy way to releive themselves of responsibility, while pretending to be saviours.  "Your kids are on drugs, they need intervention"   well, what about stable homelife, non-abusive, non-neglectful parents, an environment free form sexual abuse.  What about all of that? Oh no, they dont deal in real issues, its the kids fault, the kids problem..."

- EXACTLY!

"These people are the snake oil salesman of our generation."

- Very humorous, and so true!>>>>>FR13

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 12:00:00 PM »
Carmel, I would have to agree with you there. As the war on MJ is blowing up in their face they have to attack other drugs in order to keep people interested, and to try and keep the impact of the other losses to a minimum.

I was watchin the TV the other nigh and saw another ANTI-Drug public service announcement. This one had two guys arguing over the amount of money that goes to terrorists when drugs are bought. The problem with this is, that MOST drugs that are out there are produced right here in the good old USA. Unless the guys around town that are making crystal meth, X, or growin weed, etc, are actually terrorists in disguise, which under the USA PATRIOT ACT that just might be found that way, it's all crap.

Every day the lies get thicker and the shit gets deeper. I believe that we have them running scared and they are rapidly running out of variations to their putrid smelling , dead themes.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 03:32:00 PM »
That stupid DFAF site has a listing of warning signs and symptoms of ecstasy use.  Including a list of the various paraphenalia associated with the Rave scene, i.e. the glow sticks, etc.  

I cant help but giggle at this list of things to look out for...

Child-like costumes such as angel wings, glow sticks, glowing jewelry, children's backpack, teddy bears/children's toys, pacifiers

Signs of excessive water consumption at unusual times, such as bringing multiple water bottles to parties/raves or having an unusually large amount of empty water bottles in his or her bedroom or car.

I mean, do some parents actually walk into a kids room with an empty water bottle and say "honey, we should talk, are you on drugs?"  Can you imagine, and thats exactly the kind of paranoia that this creates.  We are going to have parents putiing their kids in treatment for having teddy bears and water bottles.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 05:56:00 PM »

On 2002-12-13 12:32:00, Carmel wrote: "That stupid DFAF site has a listing of warning signs and symptoms of ecstasy use.  I cant help but giggle at this list of things to look out for...
Child-like costumes such as angel wings, glow sticks, glowing jewelry, children's backpack, teddy bears/children's toys, pacifiers...
We are going to have parents putting their kids in treatment for having teddy bears and water bottles."

Yeah, it's pretty damn absurd - but then so is the whole idea of putting kids in that kind of 'treatment' for smoking MJ or FOR ANYTHING!!

[ This Message was edited by: AlexL on 2002-12-13 15:00 ]

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 08:04:00 PM »
For the record I've used X many times in the last 7 or 8 years.  I'm still here and as far as I can tell not suffering from any uh... er... what was I saying?
 :rofl:

Seriously though, I agree the hype is ridiculous.  In its pure form it can be a wonderful drug when used at the correct dosage, in a safe setting.
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 09:41:00 PM »
and I doubt I ever will.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins; all of them imaginary.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679728953/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> H.L. Mencken, 1923

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2002, 01:12:00 AM »
It's simply all about the money.  The people that profit from strict drug control laws are in the same boat with the people that write them.

:question:
 :skull:

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2002, 08:54:00 AM »
Back 20 years or so i remember quaaludes were the bad ticket. People were lacing them with pcp in order to make them stronger. Some people died. Paula Hawkins who lives in winter park decided to take it upon herself to put up a war, she won, now there are no quaaludes on the market anymore. pot is harder to control because it was given to us by god, it grows and is natural, it will never go away, same with anythin organic like mushrooms. Funny thing is they wanted to start putting stuff in the grain that would privent microorganisms from produsing the spores that are hallucinogenic. Only thing is that this would kill all microorganisms that are needed to break down the natural way things deteriorate. Fuck with mother nature she fucks back really hard. Welp, finally they stopped this because peo0le like us said something and they had to give in. SAme thing with x, it is pharmacutical and they can control this like qualludes. x sucks anyways, dude, they put anything and everything in the mix when they make it. If they got a little more coke this week rather than heroin it goes in. You never know what your gonna get when you do the stuff. Personally x sucks and does kill people because it is a mix of all deadly drugs and if the person who is doing the batch fucks up or gets greedy we all die or go in convusions, who needs that. hehe

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2002, 01:21:00 PM »
On 2002-12-14 05:54:00, dreammagician wrote:
If they got a little more coke this week rather than heroin it goes in. You never know what your gonna get when you do the stuff. Personally x sucks and does kill people because it is a mix of all deadly drugs and if the person who is doing the batch fucks up or gets greedy we all die or go in convusions, who needs that. hehe

We had the same problem with wood alcohol finding its way into whiskey during alcohol prohibition. They called it "bathtub gin". There's a simple solution that's tried and true.

What is a committee?  A group of the unwilling, picked from the unfit, to do the unnecessary.    
-- Richard Harkness, The New York Times, 1960

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2002, 01:27:00 PM »
"Signs of excessive water consumption at unusual times, such as bringing multiple water bottles to parties/raves or having an unusually large amount of empty water bottles in his or her bedroom or car."

Oh dear! I'm in big, big trouble! I always have at least half a dozen empty water bottles in the kitchen cabinet, right next to the jewelweed tincture. Not that I'm on X or anything. Just that I think it's patently insane to pay a buck or more for a bottle of water, so I save them to refill.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
--Anonymous

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Shelby

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2002, 03:26:00 PM »
Be extra careful on Halloween, kiddies!!

"Child-like costumes such as angel wings, glow sticks, glowing jewelry, children's backpack, teddy bears/children's toys, pacifiers"

[ This Message was edited by: Shelby on 2002-12-14 12:27 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2002, 05:17:00 PM »
Fuck Mother Nature and she fucks back hard. OMG I love it!!!!  ::cheers::

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2002, 05:28:00 PM »
Whoops that was me above. Sorry  :smokin:

What kind of humanism expresses its reluctance to sacrifice military casualties by devastating the civilian economy of its adversary for decades to come?  
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684855674/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Henry Kissinger

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
The ecstasy epidemic
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2002, 03:19:00 AM »
The X thing is being blown out of proportion to scare the shit out of the parents of cute white 15 year olds.  This keeps the drug war stoked.
  Those parents should be scared if thier angel is using it.  Very bad hyperthermia is associated with its use, hallucinagenic amphetamines like MDMA are powerfull mind benders when pure and properly dosed.  As others noted, usually neither of the above are the case.  
Come hang out at Tampa General or St Joes hospital here on a weekend when the Ybor city partiers start to crash. Some real wastes happen.
Doesnt give the warriors the right to blow it out of propoertion.
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82