Author Topic: Will someone who went to Hyde please contact me right away  (Read 19600 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
Will someone who went to Hyde please contact me right away
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2005, 07:08:00 PM »
Singing and dancing is for people that enjoy it.  Making a public spectacle of people who hate it is abusive.  And by the way, I ask far more of myself every day of my life than the people at Hyde ever did.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2005, 07:36:00 PM »
On 2005-11-10 16:08:00, Lars wrote:

"Singing and dancing is for people that enjoy it.  Making a public spectacle of people who hate it is abusive.  And by the way, I ask far more of myself every day of my life than the people at Hyde ever did."

So, you are saying you had no idea that performing arts was part of the required curriculum before going to Hyde?

What about sports.  Should be totally optional right?  

Is your theory is that the only thing that should be mandatory is basic academics?

Also, I'm interested how you learned to push yourself so hard as a teen.  You sound like a veritable prodigy.  

Did your parents send you to Hyde because they were secretly the one's who needed help?

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »
I had no idea that performing arts was part of the curriculum, certainly not in the way they forced it upon us.

Yes, sports should be optional.

I learned to push myself in college.
Funny how motivated you can get when you're doing things you actually enjoy and aren't being hounded into saying things you don't believe in.

And as for my family, that's none of your business.  Unlike the folks at Hyde, I think things like that should stay in the family (and with a qualified therapist if that's necessary).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2005, 08:29:00 PM »
On 2005-11-10 14:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hmmmm. Well, when I was at Hyde, first thing is that I knew as part of coming to the school there was mandatory participation in singing or dancing.  The second thing was I got to chose between the two, so I had a choice, so its hard for me (with a meager but not horrible voice) to see it even remotely resembling abuse.  

What I remember is that when people got up there and were timid and made excuses and somehow showed attitide, they were challenged.

I learned from this.  I learned to put myself out in the world boldly and with confidence, and not let my self-perceptions limit me.  

I take to heart the words of Henry Miller:  "All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous, unpremeditated act without benefit of experience.?  ~ Henry Miller

That's what being a kid is about.  And that's also the role of good teachers.

"

I'm pleased to know that the performance expectations worked out well for you.  Obviously, however, they didn't work out for everyone.  Some people at Hyde actually had a miserable experience because of the way Hyde handled the mandatory performance.  This is yet another example of Hyde's shortsighted approach:  one size fits all and, if you don't like the Hyde way, you should hit the highway. That approach may appeal to you; clearly, however, it's an approach that many, many Hyde veterans find offensive and patronizing.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »
Anybody here notice how the pro-Hyde folks just can't resist trying to bait the people who are trying to get some things off their chests?  Their sarcasm and condescension are a perfect example of why this place fosters an unhealthy mentality.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
I am so glad this topic is being discussed.  My husband and I were shocked to find out we had to get up and sing in front of a group of strangers.  This was supposed to give us "courage" and help us reach beyond ourselves.  I hate Hyde for humiliating me.  I feel ashamed that I didn't get up and say, "go to hell", and walk out. The problem with going against Hyde is that you can't just go get your kids things out of the dorm and take them home in the middle of the school year.  No other school is going to accept them right away especially when Hyde doesn't cooperate with helping to place a kid after they leave.  

The above example is NOT the way to bring out more confidence in someone.  I had issues growing up that had to do with humiliation.  At the time I had self doubt and an inferiority complex that I worked hard to get over.  When Hyde forced me to sing, it brought back all those feelings of humiliation.  One of Hyde's problems is that they think they know what is right for EVERYONE!  They believe EVERYONE fits into the same mold.  They don't have a CLUE about psychology or how to deal with someone who has been through a trauma in their life.  

I wish someone could stop Hyde from practicing Psychology without a licensed Psychologist on hand!  It makes me want to puke thinking about this whole thing!  You ask why people have been silent and simply walk away from Hyde.  Maybe you are now getting an idea of why.  Many parents and students want to forget Hyde ever existed once they leave.  No one wants to share the experiences with anyone because they feel ashamed that they bought into it, even if for a moment!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2005, 01:52:00 AM »
On 2005-11-10 18:18:00, Lars wrote:

"Anybody here notice how the pro-Hyde folks just can't resist trying to bait the people who are trying to get some things off their chests?  Their sarcasm and condescension are a perfect example of why this place fosters an unhealthy mentality."

Anybody here notice how many anti-Hyde people here lie about pretending they just want to get something off their chest when really they are here to try and prevent other students from going to Hyde?  Their sarcasm, condescension and hypocracy are a perfect example of why Hyde-failures don't live in the real world.

Or were you just trying to bait me Lars?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2005, 01:55:00 AM »
On 2005-11-10 22:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

Anybody here notice how many anti-Hyde people here lie about pretending they just want to get something off their chest when really they are here to try and prevent other students from going to Hyde?  

Well shit. I would HOPE they'd want to prevent other kids from going through the same hell they did.  Damn, what kind of people would they be if they just allowed this shit to go on?   Here's to getting it all off your chest.   ::cheers::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2005, 02:00:00 AM »
On 2005-11-10 22:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-11-10 22:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

Anybody here notice how many anti-Hyde people here lie about pretending they just want to get something off their chest when really they are here to try and prevent other students from going to Hyde?  

Well shit. I would HOPE they'd want to prevent other kids from going through the same hell they did.  Damn, what kind of people would they be if they just allowed this shit to go on?   Here's to getting it all off your chest.   ::cheers:: "

All I'm saying is don't pretend you are all about getting it off your chest, when a very specific intention is to attack the school.  These are different things and would likely evoke different responses from the throngs of pro-Hyde people on this site.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2005, 02:02:00 AM »
Why can't they kill two birds with one stone?  Hell, let them get it off their chests and if it prevents other kids from being put into that hellhole, well all the better!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2005, 02:18:00 AM »
On 2005-11-10 18:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am so glad this topic is being discussed.  My husband and I were shocked to find out we had to get up and sing in front of a group of strangers.  This was supposed to give us "courage" and help us reach beyond ourselves.  I hate Hyde for humiliating me.  I feel ashamed that I didn't get up and say, "go to hell", and walk out. The problem with going against Hyde is that you can't just go get your kids things out of the dorm and take them home in the middle of the school year.  No other school is going to accept them right away especially when Hyde doesn't cooperate with helping to place a kid after they leave.  

The above example is NOT the way to bring out more confidence in someone.  I had issues growing up that had to do with humiliation.  At the time I had self doubt and an inferiority complex that I worked hard to get over.  When Hyde forced me to sing, it brought back all those feelings of humiliation.  One of Hyde's problems is that they think they know what is right for EVERYONE!  They believe EVERYONE fits into the same mold.  They don't have a CLUE about psychology or how to deal with someone who has been through a trauma in their life.  

I wish someone could stop Hyde from practicing Psychology without a licensed Psychologist on hand!  It makes me want to puke thinking about this whole thing!  You ask why people have been silent and simply walk away from Hyde.  Maybe you are now getting an idea of why.  Many parents and students want to forget Hyde ever existed once they leave.  No one wants to share the experiences with anyone because they feel ashamed that they bought into it, even if for a moment!"

Sorry about all of your trauma, but for as long as I have known of Hyde school THEY TELL EVERYONE up front that this is going to happen.  Its been on their website for years.  Its been core to their concept of character development from the earliest days.  The current version from their website is below.  Its one of the fundamental requirements of the school!

PERFORMING ARTS
All students and faculty members collaborate to produce two major musical productions per year?in the fall and spring?as well, as a number of smaller performances throughout the year. Parents, too, perform for their students at the annual Spring Fling?an event eagerly anticipated by the student body. Through Hyde?s infamous ?auditions,? students, as well as teachers, face their fears of public singing and generally overcome them with ease. Freshmen who timidly squeak out Row Your Boat for their first audition, unavoidably become seniors who belt out cheesy 80s rock ballads while sporting fake mullets. And, occasionally, a faculty member cannot resist inflicting a Guns and Roses classic on the community.

You will likely discover that there is a part of you that loves being on stage, and you will be in awe of yourself when you complete your first audition?whether or not you are a future Grammy winner.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2005, 02:23:00 AM »
What a crock of new age, psycho babble BULLSHIT!!  Put down the kool aid and back away s-l-o-w-l-y.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2005, 02:24:00 AM »
Hyde "failures" don't live in the real world?  I am shocked you would say such a thing!  Anyone who went to Hyde knows that Hyde is far from the "real world."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2005, 02:27:00 AM »
What about the kids or parents who love to perform?  What good does this exercise do for them? Why would Hyde assume everyone hates to get up and sing in front of a crowd?

Another problem with the "one size fits all" program!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2005, 02:31:00 AM »
On 2005-11-10 23:02:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Why can't they kill two birds with one stone?  Hell, let them get it off their chests and if it prevents other kids from being put into that hellhole, well all the better!!"

The can, but then don't complain that your being baited by pro-Hyde people.  That's just a moronic comment.  Seems to me the anti-Hyde people here do more baiting, but since that's not quantifiable, why not accept to the extent this site is about advocacy, that that is going to be de-baited.