Author Topic: DMCA demand from CALO  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: DMCA demand from CALO
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 09:13:18 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Ken Huey’s letter isn’t even meet the legal requirements of a DCMA notice, as far as I see.
http://www.trinitywebservices.com/copyr ... laint.html
He doesn’t declare under penalty of perjury he in good faith believes that his copyright is being violated, and so forth.
1.   Include the following statement: "I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law."
2.   Include the following statement: "I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed."

I believe this rescues Ken Huey from liability for a fraudulent claim. I also notice that the Dan mcgrath counter claim was rejected because it was not in proper format….
    …and where have you seen this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 10:10:21 PM »
Quote from: "please elaborate"
I also notice that the Dan mcgrath counter claim was rejected because it was not in proper format….
?
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2009, 12:01:12 AM »
this is the counter notice was rejected for not being properly formatted. Read back in the thread:

Quote from: "well proxied"
The treatment profiles are your independent works of fiction. On this we are in full agreement and I am glad you have acknowledged that. I do not contest your copyright on those documents.

However, if you honestly want to walk into a US courtroom and claim that you own a legal copyright to a list of real children, I dare you, no, I beseech you to please come and try that and we can see how things turn out. You might be holding them, but I absolutely will not permit you to claim that you own them.

Again, this counterclaim is for the list of the names, not the three documents.

Why didn't you claim to own the staff as well?

Dan McGrath
South Africa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2009, 12:12:19 AM »
Maybe what Ken Huey wrote was good enough for them. Still, they did not have to take anything down, failing to do so would just remove their statutory exemption for culpability in copyright infringement.

Whether or not they would be culpable would be settled in civil arbitration. ISPs have refused to comply with these demands in the name of “free speech” and won.

http://www.ojr.org/ojr/stories/070913niles/

Quote from: "Online Policy Group v. Diebold”
Diebold sent dozens of cease-and-desist letters to ISPs hosting leaked internal documents revealing flaws in Diebold's e-voting machines. The company claimed copyright violations and used the DMCA to demand that the documents be taken down. One ISP, OPG, refused to remove them in the name of free speech, and thus became the first ISP to test whether it would be held liable for the actions of its users in such a situation." [/quote]

[quote="us district court in CA"] Decision: Diebold sought to use the DMCA’s safe harbor provisions—which were designed to protect ISPs, not copyright holders—as a sword to suppress publication of embarrassing content rather than as a shield to protect its intellectual property.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2009, 12:19:39 AM »
Maybe what Ken Huey wrote was good enough for them. Still, they did not have to take anything down, failing to do so would just remove their statutory exemption for culpability in copyright infringement.

Whether or not they would be culpable would be settled in civil arbitration. ISPs have refused to comply with these demands in the name of “free speech” and won.

http://www.ojr.org/ojr/stories/070913niles/

Quote from: "online policy group"
 Diebold sent dozens of cease-and-desist letters to ISPs hosting leaked internal documents revealing flaws in Diebold's e-voting machines. The company claimed copyright violations and used the DMCA to demand that the documents be taken down. One ISP, OPG, refused to remove them IN THE NAME OF FREE SPEECH, and thus became the first ISP to test whether it would be held liable for the actions of its users in such a situation."

Quote from: "us ca district court"
Decision: Diebold sought to use the DMCA’s safe harbor provisions—which were designed to protect ISPs, not copyright holders—as a sword to suppress publication of embarrassing content rather than as a shield to protect its intellectual property.

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2009, 03:58:29 AM »
flooding is for newfags
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2009, 05:56:31 AM »
this is the counter notice was rejected for not being properly formatted. Read back in the thread:

Quote from: "well proxied"
The treatment profiles are your independent works of fiction. On this we are in full agreement and I am glad you have acknowledged that. I do not contest your copyright on those documents.

However, if you honestly want to walk into a US courtroom and claim that you own a legal copyright to a list of real children, I dare you, no, I beseech you to please come and try that and we can see how things turn out. You might be holding them, but I absolutely will not permit you to claim that you own them.

Again, this counterclaim is for the list of the names, not the three documents.

Why didn't you claim to own the staff as well?

Dan McGrath
South Africa
It was a fake name.  Somebody trying to frame Dan McGrath.  As I explained.  If there was even some proof it was actually the original well proxied with real name, etc, we might have accepted the counterclaim.

This discussion is over.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2009, 06:39:22 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
This discussion is over.

eat a bowl of shit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »
Quote from: "please elaborate"
Ken Huey’s letter isn’t even meet the legal requirements of a DCMA notice, as far as I see.
http://www.trinitywebservices.com/copyr ... laint.html
He doesn’t declare under penalty of perjury he in good faith believes that his copyright is being violated, and so forth.
1.   Include the following statement: "I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law."
2.   Include the following statement: "I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed."

I believe this rescues Ken Huey from liability for a fraudulent claim. I also notice that the Dan mcgrath counter claim was rejected because it was not in proper format….

That uploaded notice, reprinted below, was what Ken Huey used as his DMCA notice, I assume?

http://fornits.com/wwf/posting.php?mode ... 9&p=334535
Quote from: "ken huey"
“June 23, 2009
To Mr. Michael Crawford, Administrator of Fornits, and Ginger McNulty, creator of Fornits,
This letter is relative to postings about to the treatment and identity of CALO students. Certain threads on your site have the names of current and former CALO students and the treatment team summaries of three students. We have now confirmed that all of this information was obtained by infiltrating the email accounts of two CALO staff. Once in these accounts, Dan McGrath, posting as “well proxied”, stole these digital files and published their contents on your site.
This letter is a demand under the DMCA (Digital Media Copyright Act of 1998) that all postings containing the names of students and their treatment summaries be removed immediately. The names of students were contained in a shift note email that was copied and pasted with exact misspellings. CALO owns the copyright on all internal email. The treatment summaries were similarly stolen and CALO owns the copyright on those summaries.
This letter further demands that any future posts stolen digitally from CALO be removed upon notification of their existence by any source.
Sincerely,
Ken Huey, CEO
CALO
130 CALO Lane
Lake Ozark, MO 65049””

In order for a letter to be considered a DMCA notice, it must contain certain elements:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#512

Quote from: "copywrightgov"
[/b]To be effective under this subsection, a notification of claimed infringement must include substantially the following:  
(v) A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
(vi) A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, [/b]and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed..
http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/faq.cgi#QID130
Quote from: "chillingseffects"
[quote="chillingeffects"
In order to have an allegedly infringing web site removed from a service provider's network, or to have access to an allegedly infringing website disabled, the copyright owner must provide notice to the service provider with the following information: that it has a good faith belief that there is no legal basis for the use of the materials complained of [512(c)(3)(A)(v)]. A statement by the owner that it accuracy of the notice and, under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on the behalf of the owner

http://www.blogherald.com/2007/06/04/ho ... ca-notice/
Quote from: "blogherald"
is important to remember the six elements that the DMCA requires of any notice.
A proper DMCA notice should include the following statements that reads as follows:
 “I have a good faith belief that the use of the material that appears on the service is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by operation of law.”
 “The information in this notice is accurate, and I am either the copyright owner or I am authorize to act on behalf of the copyright owner.” [/b]

Without those elements, a service provider is not expected to recognize this notice, and without a “good faith” statement, Ken Huey becomes less liable for his claims.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls= ... 22&spell=1

Quote from: "supreme court"
Appellant’s e-mails do not constitute notice under Section 512(c)(3) because there was no statement of good faith belief as required by subsection 512(c)(3)(A)(v).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2009, 03:19:25 AM »
I just feel like jumping in and saying that the full list of kids has been posted in this very thread, and it's been here for months.