Author Topic: Hi. New here. CEDU RS Alum.  (Read 4010 times)

Offline fullspeed

• View Profile
Hi. New here. CEDU RS Alum.
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:38:38 PM »
Hi. I went to CEDU Running Springs.  Mid 90s.

I think about the place often, but have not looked anything up online for a few years now. Today I was shocked when I found so much out there. There is like a ton of people speaking out. I looked at Liams documentary page, (which can be found here http://http://liamscheff.com/daily/cedu-documentary/ ) and was amazed at what I saw. It was almost like a switch going on in my head. For years I have felt like CEDU was a really positive thing that helped me out in my life and in a lot of ways I still do. However, after reading and watching a lot of the things that I have read today, my feelings are changing dramatically. I feel manipulated personally and I really feel like my parents were cheated financially. Now I know a lot of people would say "yeah, no kidding, you are just now figuring this out?" Yes I saw it all that way, but at a different level. Some of the info I read about I never knew such as the Synanon stuff, and other things I read about I knew were completely exaggerated. Overall though I feel really disturbed and feel the need to talk about it. Not sure how things are around here but I would like to hang out for a while and check the place out.  Any astonishing things that I should know about or any updates that have come to light? Sadly I have heard about a lot of the deaths, it's really messed up. I really would rather not talk about that just yet. I can name more than just a handful of people from when I was there that are no longer with us. I want to hear from folks, hear about any staff updates, student updates, and stuff that I was maybe never supposed to find out about.

Thanks, and I am glad I found this place.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Hi. New here. CEDU RS Alum.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:44:04 PM »
Hey there.  I know all too well what you're going through.  Hang on for the ride is the best advice I can give.

As to how cedu is doing at  the moment.  It's dead, though it's clones still live.  How did it die?

Article on that here:
http://www.mountain-news.com/articles/2 ... /news1.txt
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:06:02 AM »
Interesting. Reports were leaking that they were going bankrupt towards then end of my almost year-long stay at BCA. Days later I was pulled...shortly after that I had heard everyone was sent home. Glad I didn't have to go through that shit. Only got interested again after that new documentary/special on Jamestown aired the other day.

Sounds like you are dealing with some repressed memories. It makes sense. I got sent to Ascent three times (one one-week and two full-time stints) and I learned well the woes of living it but the bliss of being able to forget. I have to say though, it could of been worse.

Looking online it says Ascent is operated through UHS now. Is this accurate or are all CEDU/Brown programs really dead and gone? It would be pretty shitty if it is still around but it wouldn't surprise me....can only confirm the some of the CEDU schools were sold off. Don't know how accurate the web pages are now with all of this shit going on the past few years.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 06:30:34 AM »
As you can see on our datasheet about the facilities, 2 of them as well as the wilderness program are still operating.

If you need to reconnect to other survivors, we have a lot of groups on myspace, facebook and yahoo linked on the pages.

Northwest Academy is up and running under UHS.
Boulder Creek Academy is up and running under UHS.
Ascent is up and running under UHS.

Because they have felt that they needed to move away from the past they have renamed some of the marathon LGATS and the phases in their program.

Mount Bachelor Academy used the CEDU concept and developed it in another direction. It is still operating under the ownership of Aspen Education Group. We have grouped it together with a number of Spin-offs.

Unfortunately the whole concept didn't die in 2005. Too many saw the possibility to make a business based on the fear for the future of their children every parent do contain somewhere.

Offline sike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 06:47:37 AM »
Thanks for the quick response.

No, I'm not really interested in reconnecting....I suppose connecting to begin with would better explain it. I wouldn't turn away people I knew, or even strangers, but I believe people connected out of necessity and any and all connections made there were rather, well, to put it nicely, bullshit. It's pretty easy to cave when you are removed from your reality. I don't want to sound like I have an ego complex or something but I most certainly wasn't the worst kid there and indeed even found myself agreeing that some of the people were better off for being there.

To think, I almost went two years with out thinking of shit like this...Figure I might as well make an account and stick around. Things like this seem to come in phases. In short, every couple of years a guy has got to vent.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 05:34:26 PM »
Quote from: "fullspeed"
Hi. I went to CEDU Running Springs.  Mid 90s.

I think about the place often, but have not looked anything up online for a few years now. Today I was shocked when I found so much out there. There is like a ton of people speaking out. I looked at Liams documentary page, (which can be found here http://http://liamscheff.com/daily/cedu-documentary/ ) and was amazed at what I saw. It was almost like a switch going on in my head. For years I have felt like CEDU was a really positive thing that helped me out in my life and in a lot of ways I still do. However, after reading and watching a lot of the things that I have read today, my feelings are changing dramatically. I feel manipulated personally and I really feel like my parents were cheated financially. Now I know a lot of people would say "yeah, no kidding, you are just now figuring this out?" Yes I saw it all that way, but at a different level. Some of the info I read about I never knew such as the Synanon stuff, and other things I read about I knew were completely exaggerated. Overall though I feel really disturbed and feel the need to talk about it. Not sure how things are around here but I would like to hang out for a while and check the place out.  Any astonishing things that I should know about or any updates that have come to light? Sadly I have heard about a lot of the deaths, it's really messed up. I really would rather not talk about that just yet. I can name more than just a handful of people from when I was there that are no longer with us. I want to hear from folks, hear about any staff updates, student updates, and stuff that I was maybe never supposed to find out about.

Thanks, and I am glad I found this place.

I wouldn't at all say it is unusual to have a realization that things were wrong with that place many years later. I doubt anyone really understood what was wrong with it or how it affected themself or others right after leaving. Everyone must have had a werid experience trying to enter back into normal society, but I'm sure very few were able to figure otu why. Every one drank the kool aid wether they were going along with the program or fighting it all the way. I think that light bulb moment of realization is common. You might have alot of old memories come back and some strange dreams for a few months, but it will fade away. It's a strange feeling to realize that something you have believed for a long time is not true. We all put alot of ouselves into that place, and after all of that years down the road its pretty painful to have it all cuminate in one word. Jilted. Well the friendships were not worthless, a bit confusing though.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 01:56:39 AM »
I looked at the kool-aid drinkers on the classmate site.  Lots of happy Cedu students that 28 years think it was a wonderful experience.

Jesus Christ!  PUKE!

Yeah, I've gone forward and put it behind me, but sometimes I still have nightmares.

Thank God some of the worse offenders were taken out by cancer.  Or, left because they had to, i.e. Dan Earle.  

Glad this forum is still here for us.

Thank God not all of us drank the kool-aid.

Cheers to all!
Class of 1980 :waaaa:

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 02:59:23 AM »
Carl Janowitz is dead of Cancer in case you knew him.  I did.  Can't say I was much of a fan.  Hope he's roasting in hell.

Edit: he is not dead.  That was what the Benchmark told a student in contact with me but apparantly it's not true.  One can only wonder why a program would claim an ex employee is dead when he is not.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »
I was at CEDU-RS when Carl was interviewing for a position. He sat in raps, and hung out with students. I got a VERY weird vibe about him, but then I split so I wasn't around to see why. All I know is, he gave me major creeps...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 08:24:19 PM »
Quote from: "psy"
Carl Janowitz is dead of Cancer in case you knew him.  I did.  Can't say I was much of a fan.  Hope he's roasting in hell.

I am trying to remember that name?  Who was he?

Offline BKK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 12:43:20 AM »
Carl Janowitz is alive and kicking in Thailand. Haven't found anything positive about him.  Does anyone have a good thing to say about him?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 01:40:21 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 10:51:51 AM »
6/7/09- GIA'S 5TH OR 6TH BLOG OF THE DAY. VERY BUSY DAY (SUNDAY)

I PRAYED FOR YOU TODAY GIA, FOR A PEACE IN YOUR SOUL BEHOND ALL UNDERSTANDING.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Carl Janowitz
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »
Quote from: "BKK"
Carl Janowitz is alive and kicking in Thailand. Haven't found anything positive about him. Does anyone have a good thing to say about him?

It would appear that he is still "alive and kicking in Thailand."

• Carl Janowitz is mentioned a few times in a thread on Anxiety Treatment on a forum based in Thailand. Last post was August 2008. Apparently he sees patients privately now.
  • Despite what it says in the above thread, Janowitz is still listed as being accessible through Bumrungrad Hospital, according to Canadian consular services (March 2009):

Psychological Services at Bumrungrad Hospital
      Mr. Carl Janowitz, MA, CHT
      Bumrungrad Hospital
      Tel: 0 2667-1555
      E-mail: [email protected]
  • Carl Janowitz is the Consultant Psychotherapist for Channah Thailand, a short-term rehab where the necessity for "discretion" is recognized and accommodated. Most recent entry on their website mentioning him and his services is from January 2009.

Clinical Supervision at Channah

All therapists receive regular monthly Clinical Supervision sessions with Carl Janowitz our Consultant Psychotherapist.

Carl has a Masters Degree in Counselling Psychology with marriage and family counselling credentials from California State University and the University of California. He has counselled individuals, families and couples for 20 years in California and six years in Thailand. His practice has included private and school settings, where he has developed workshops and helped clients develop a higher sense of self esteem and confidence.

As well as offering clinical supervision at Channah, Carl also facilitates regular groups with clients at the centre.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22:09 AM »
6-8-09 AM BLOG 3 FROM GIA

INTERESTING