Author Topic: New "School" Construction by HLA Owner Killed by County?  (Read 15801 times)

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
New "School" Construction by HLA Owner Killed by County?
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
She wont ask about HLA specifically and shell tailor her questions to suit her wants.

However if shes bold enough to ask what is the main criteria for a traditional boarding school she will be told the primary focus must be on academics. I dont think even she can argue that the primary focus of HLA is now or has ever been academics.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
On 2006-02-22 17:46:00, Deborah wrote:

"***He obviously doesn't belive you. Why do you think that telling him over and over again and YELLING it will somehow convince him?

Because she is a stauch believer in the program methods."

Money.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »
[/quote]

Ill do it just as soon as you change your name to Bullfrog the Brainless.

Deal?"
[/quote] LFMAO!!! :rofl:

Offline SHH

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »
This is what I asked:

I asked what type of schools need to be licensed when they are residential, I asked what constitutes an RTC, what constitutes a traditional boarding school, what constitutes a wilderness camp, what state law requires as far as licensing, and when schools are exempt, and I asked specifically about Hidden Lake Academy's status.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2006, 10:46:00 PM »
Rib-it... Rib-it :lol:

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2006, 08:24:00 AM »
Word of warning-
She may come back and report that ORS claims they are a private BS, therefore exempt from licensing. I'm not sure what it will take for ORS to understand (or believe) the scope of services provided.
What Traditional BSs diagnose 'mental disorders', run 18-24 month 'programs', do not provide 3-4 years of continuous education for participants, deny access to family and family visits?

Kids are housed there 24/7. That is the only similarity.

Well, according to HLA Truth, HLA provides a diagnosis for many kids and provides treatment planning for all of them.  Just these two items disqualify HLA from being a "boarding school."  It's that simple.  Boarding schools CAN NOT provide treatment planning.  It's cut and dried.

That being said, I have no idea what HLA ACTUALLY SAYS they do when dealing with the state.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2006, 08:24:00 AM »
On 2006-02-22 19:28:00, SHH wrote:

"This is what I asked:

I asked what type of schools need to be licensed when they are residential, I asked what constitutes an RTC, what constitutes a traditional boarding school, what constitutes a wilderness camp, what state law requires as far as licensing, and when schools are exempt, and I asked specifically about Hidden Lake Academy's status. "

Would you be willing to post your email on here?

Offline SHH

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »
I got my response..but it wasnt very helpful. They told me that as of Oct 1, 2004, it is a different division that oversees and regulates facilities. And they gave me a number to call. I wont be able to call the number today but they really didnt answer any of my questions.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »
Wow so now you have something in common with them then huh?

Offline juniper2

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »
Responded to my e-mail,by sending it to another division, covering Childrens Facilities..more to come..

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2006, 01:56:00 AM »
Check the fifth paragraph

Negotiations on tax abatement for MBA stall
By Sharon Hall
http://www.thedahloneganugget.com/artic ... nbrook.txt

Negotiations on tax abatement for a proposed new boarding school have been going back and forth between Lumpkin County Development Authority, the board of commissioners and Hidden Lake Academy's owner Dr. Len Buccellato since mid-October. Those negotiations may now be at an impasse, Buccellato says.

?I'm very confused. I don't understand the response from the commissioners,? Buccellato says.

Buccellato's Hidden Lake Academy hoped to build a new campus, Mountain Brook Academy, in the Hightower Church area. He approached the development authority asking for an abatement of property taxes for five years, with a graduated payment of taxes over the next five years at 20 percent per year.

The authority approved the plan and HLA was ready to make its presentation to the board at its October meeting.

An unexpected handout concerning the number of incidents REQUIRING SHERIFF'S OFFICE RESPONSE to the therapeutic boarding school on Camp Wahsega Road, and a LARGE TURNOUT OF Hightower Church area residents OPPOSED TO THE NEW FACILITY caused the school to reschedule its presentation, which was made at the November workshop. At that meeting, a large number of supporters appeared before the commission to urge tax abatements for the new facility.

A decision was expected at the Nov. 17 board meeting, but commissioners requested MBA renegotiate several points.  

Originally, the board asked MBA to renegotiate

n Dedication of land for the county to build a fire station;

n Water service issues;

n Compliance with land use ordinance requirements;

n Guarantee of job creation;

n Guarantee of economic impact;

n ?Claw back? provisions (meaning if MBA fails to live up to the terms of the agreement, it must pay all taxes accrued to that point);

n Bond for title or equivalent Industrial Development Bond financing satisfactory to support the desired tax incentive; and

n Negotiated tax incentives providing for payment at the current rate for the unimproved land for three years with a five-year graduated increase of 20 percent per year.

?We did exactly what they said,? says Bill Gray, director of operations for MBA. ?We compromised as much as we could and thought it was all worked out.?

MBA agreed to

n donate land for a fire station if the county would extend public water service to the new school;

n asked the county to apply for an EIP (Employment Incentive Grant), or other grant, to fund a well water system on MBA property, which the school would dedicate for public use;

n comply with all land use requirements and ordinances;

n create 80 new jobs within two years of building completion and the school's full operation;

n guaranteed $4,500 in improvements;

n the ?claw back? provision that would allow the county to collect all taxes abated should it fail to create the proposed jobs or improvements;

n pay additional costs related to the Bond-for-Title or equivalent development authority bond financing to support the tax abatement; and

n to continue to pay existing taxes on the land, three years abatement after completion of the project and the 20 percent per year payment of taxes.

But a Nov. 17 called commission meeting revised the points once again, and what the commission wants, says Buccellato, makes the project impractical.

The board, in what it termed its ?final offer,? asked MBA for

n three acres of road frontage for a fire station, with the land reverting to MBA if the facility was not built within 10 years;

n agreed to apply for an EIP grant, with the stipulation that any costs, including administrative costs, over and above the EIP grant would be assumed by MBA. MBA would also have to pay water tap and service fees if public water was made available;

n tax abatement to begin in 2006, with graduated payments to begin in 2009;

n MBA would not request any other tax incentives, regardless of legal or tax status, from 2014-2019; and

n ?any legal action or threat of such action for any activities prior to this agreement against the commissioners, as a board or as individuals, shall cease.?

The real deal breaker, Buccellato says, is the tax abatement and when it begins.

? is only a few days away,? he says. ?We can't even begin ground work until March, so what good would tax abatement for 2006 be? What it comes down to is that by the time we pay for the bond at $45,000-plus, and other costs, the county is only giving us $22,000.?

Another factor that makes the deal unpalatable to MBA is giving up three acres of road frontage for a fire station. As designed, the only road frontage on the property would be where the gate is. The rest would be kept in trees to buffer the school from road access.

Buccellato said MBA would be willing to donate appropriate land on campus for a fire station, but did not think three acres would be required.

As for any legal action, Gray says none has been initiated at this point.

There is a ?perceived threat,? he says, because of a letter sent to District 4 Commissioner Marvin Martin. The letter requested Martin RETRACT OR CORRECT erroneous statements made in the handout distributed at the October board meeting.

Martin has not responded to the letter, according to Gray.

?No one told us about the Wednesday [Nov. 17] meeting. We would have been glad to change our plans and be there to hash it out. I'm not sure why they changed their minds. I'm very confused. This is our 12th year in Lumpkin County, and I think we have fairly evidenced what we have done and try to do for the community.?

According to the school's estimations, HBA and Ridge Creek, the two current facilities, had an economic impact of $12.3 million in 2004, the major portion coming from payroll for faculty and staff, 70 percent of whom live in the county.

It also contributes ?soft money? to the county in dollars spent by staff and visiting parents at local motels, inns, shops and restaurants.

Parents of HLA students are required to attend meetings quarterly, and while here stay in local motels and eat and shop on the square.

The new MBA would increase that impact, the school says. MBA plans to hire 80 new faculty members, in addition to food service staff. Parents of MBA students would be required to ATTEND MONTHLY MEETINGS  :question:  at the school, for an additional economic impact of about $11 million in 2007 alone.

The school has ?begun pursuing other options for making Mountain Brook a viable possibility,? states a letter to commissioners distributed at the Dec. 1 work session.

~~Was MBA going to take kids from the JJ system or something. Are parents really willing to travel across the country on a monthly basis?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2006, 08:50:00 AM »
Good find Deb!

Hmmm. The economic impact on the surrounding community seems to be dictating therapeutic policy to some extent over at HLA.

Why all the calls to the sheriff?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »
What type of program would require parents to attend monthly meetings? A program that houses local kids who are adjudicated to residential care?
Apparently the good people of Dahlonega didn't feel the economic benefits outweighed the negative impact of having another private-pay prison in their backyard.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »
Calls to the Sherriff come from a constant stream of runaways.

In fact when I was there I recall one student having run away being chastised by Lee and told that three real emergency calls went unanswered because all the cops were out searching for this kid.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »
So you don't think that a kid on the run is an emergency?