Author Topic: Peninsula Village  (Read 44331 times)

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Peninsula Village
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2006, 12:00:34 PM »
Curtis Mayfield made reference to "educated fools" in If There's A Hell Below, We're All Gonna Go.  We're there.

I have to be cool here...There's this place, see, called Penicillin Villain, maybe you know the one I'm talking about.  Their staff is...um....questionable, that's a nice way to put it, when it comes to being qualified.  I'm not a lawyer, thank God, but let me point out something to PV:  "Slander" is verbal, requiring two witnesses.  "Libelous" means you've been slandered in print.  The real kicker for you, you facility folk, is you have to prove what was said (or written) to be false and unjustified by presenting clear and convincing evidence to refute the slander or libel.  Have fun with THAT.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2006, 04:31:58 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
In our opinion then, is this person qualified for the job?

Education:

Master of Science, Child and Family Studies,
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology,

Other:
XXXXXX is a Family Therapist who also serves as a family's liaison to other departments involved in their child's treatment. XXXXX meets with patients and families for weekly family therapy sessions in addition to maintaining phone contact as needed depending on current issues in an adolescent's treatment. X also is one of the clinicians who lead the group psychotherapy sessions with the Girls Admission and Assessment Unit and Girls Outdoor Program.

You never hire someone sight unseen based solely on their resume, but yes, if I worked in human resources for a facility that was hiring a therapist, this resume would pass my prescreening and be forwarded to the interviewer.

Whether the actual applicant came across to the interviewer as competent, qualified, and a good hire would be a matter for the interview.

Also, of course, if I worked in HR for such a facility, a background check would be routine.

Julie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2006, 04:42:38 PM »
In our opinion then, is this person qualified for the job?

Education:

Master of Science, Child and Family Studies,
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology,

Other:
XXXXXX is a Family Therapist who also serves as a family's liaison to other departments involved in their child's treatment. XXXXX meets with patients and families for weekly family therapy sessions in addition to maintaining phone contact as needed depending on current issues in an adolescent's treatment. X also is one of the clinicians who lead the group psychotherapy sessions with the Girls Admission and Assessment Unit and Girls Outdoor Program.

You never hire someone sight unseen based solely on their resume, but yes, if I worked in human resources for a facility that was hiring a therapist, this resume would pass my prescreening and be forwarded to the interviewer.

Whether the actual applicant came across to the interviewer as competent, qualified, and a good hire would be a matter for the interview.

Also, of course, if I worked in HR for such a facility, a background check would be routine.

Julie

BTW---the masters is the key.  Usually job descriptions read MSW or Masters in Psychology or related field.

If I was interviewing this person, if I myself was a qualified therapist, I'd ask a lot of carefully targetted questions to make sure that the candidate's degree, background, experience, and personal vibe met the organization's requirements.

Julie

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2006, 07:32:38 PM »
I tend to avoid these discussions about staff qualifications. I've been in the world too long to be impressed by degrees, titles, or even years of experience. I have met both buffoons and brilliant people at all levels. am sure you can find MSWs and even PHDs in psychology that would endorse tough love programs. You will find many who are against them as well.

One should also look at turnover. How long do qualified people stay in these places once they get a taste of what they are all about?

When enough money is involved, you will people willing to sell their professional qualifications to the highest bidder. Look at paid expert witnesses, for example.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2006, 09:20:19 PM »
Depends what the person that person is being hired for.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2006, 10:22:52 PM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
So what exactly qualifies this person to be a psychotherapist again?

Good point. So you get your bachelor's, then you stick around for awhile longer and take 10 more classes (30 credit hours), plus 6 credits worth of writing your thesis. By now you're feeling pretty book-smart.

But the person who went to work in the field right after their bachelor's -- who now has 2 years of experience in counseling or social services -- is considered less qualified than the person who just got a master's and may have never actually worked with real people in need.

The piece of paper just means you know how to be successful in school. I have met many PhD's who couldn't find their own ass with both hands.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2006, 09:19:40 AM »
In response to the question of employee turnover, PV changes counselors more than I change socks.  Counselors with MySpace accounts made it very clear.  One was leaving because of the facility policies, even though she was unhappy about leaving the kids.  One of her friends commented leaving PV would also mean not getting punched in the face.  I guess violence begets violence, sometimes.  

Yeah, the turnover rate at PV is caused by a conflict between wanting to actually help kids and having to bend to the will of the clinicians-turned-money-minders.  For a "non-profit" facility they certainly have their eye on the bottom line.

Jesus, they know who I am and they're probably going to sue me.  Looks like I'm gonna be the poster boy for posting.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2006, 10:20:06 AM »
Good for the birdies.  I'm probably too paranoid about the legal threat, especially since PV has to disprove.

I'm surprised there are little birdies around.  Mostly I've encountered huge birds of prey at the Vill.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
PV Birdies
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2006, 09:02:54 PM »
Hope it is not the avian flu.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2006, 11:36:35 AM »

Notice the absence of children making merriment in the water.  Never saw anyone in that pool, ever.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2006, 06:14:20 PM »
Anyone got a half kilo of elemental sodium?

Offline Kreflo

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2006, 08:36:53 PM »
the sign does say no jumping or diving in pool.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2006, 08:54:25 PM »
There's a sign on the other side that says "No holding counselors under water for more than a minute.  You will be penalized levels for water-logging staff,"

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2006, 11:39:52 AM »
Which sign?  The sign about drowning the counselors was a joke, I was goofing on a place that is totally humorless.  I've seen no evidence of "funny" at PV, unless you mean the smell that drifts over from the porta toilets by the girl's cabins.  Poor sanitation = E. Coli.  Right, PV?

Offline Kreflo

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2006, 09:54:36 PM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
Why do they need porta toilets? Don't they have running water in their cabins?

How about STANDARD ISSUE SHOVEL? There is not any electricity or running water in the cabins at PV. Truss me.