Author Topic: My Book the Demon and the Monk  (Read 28421 times)

Offline demonandmonk

• View Profile
    • http://www.demonandmonk.com
My Book the Demon and the Monk
« on: May 11, 2005, 08:53:00 AM »
Hi! My new book The Demon and the Monk has just come out. I was in AARC (The Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre) in Calgary. The book is about my life before AARC, how I got to AARC and what has happened since. I think it gives insight into how AARC works, and what it did for me in particular. It also goes into a little of the history of the Centre, and how it was created. I hope people will read the book, and perhaps learn a little. As I have said on this site before, it is only my experience, and everyone who has gone through AARC will have their own to share.

If you are interested, please go to my site http://www.demonandmonk.com and check it out.

Dave Grant
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ww.demonandmonk.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »
Good for you David!
You have come so far and seem to be going even farther. This book can not be disputed (but it will) as it is about your experiences through AARC. For all the people who don't know AARC as AARC but think it is still related to Newton it will be good for them to read to learn about AARC and where it came from.
Thanks for carrying the message,
JS
PS I hope you mention me in the book :lol:

Offline demonandmonk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 03:30:00 PM »
On 2005-05-11 06:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"FUCK YOU for posting a link to a page that has an ADVERTISEMENT FOR AARC!!!  Post what you want about your experience but don't fucking push they're rhetoric here and advertise for a place that has harmed so many kids.

Wasn't the author of BINGO an AARC person???"

So much for free speech! It amazes me that people who feel they were abused, muzzled and not allowed to speak what they truely felt will turn around and judge my writings before ever reading them. "Contempt prior to investigation." My story involves my time at AARC, and so the site that has my book on it has links to AARC as well as some of the history of AARC.

I really don't know what to make of the "BINGO" comment. The only BINGO I know is written from a guy in Quebec named Roger Caron who was a life long criminal.

PS Hi JS - only mentioned in passing, and everyone is anonymous.

Dave
http://www.demonandmonk.com
ww.demonandmonk.com

Offline demonandmonk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »
While I feel bad that you are so angry, I can't change that. As far as your comment again to "F-U" that is too bad. By the way, who are you? It's easy to make viscious comments when being anonymous. Do you know me? where you in AARC? Have I harmed you in some way? What is your truth? Please feel free to speak your mind.
ww.demonandmonk.com

Offline demonandmonk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 05:46:00 PM »
On 2005-05-11 13:40:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'm just a wise old woman whose been through one of AARC's predecessors and done enough reading and research about AARC to see that the acorn indeed did not fall far from the tree.   :smokin:   "

Gotcha! And you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I only encourage you to do more research. AARC was a very diferent experience for me compared to what I was told about KIDS of Bergen County from the former KIDS prisoners who worked at AARC. I would think that in this information age and in such a litigious society that if AARC were anything like Straight or Kids that it would have been shut down. My parents (Dad saw K of BC in action) would have withdrawn any support immediately.

Respectfully,

Dave Grant

ww.demonandmonk.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 07:56:00 PM »
Riiiiight. Because you have been here to Calgary, and checked it out yourself. It's like me saying Disney Land is the Devil's playground, though of course I've never been there, but someone told me it's scary. Personally, I trust my own experience.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 10:34:00 AM »
On 2005-05-11 12:30:00, demonandmonk wrote:

"

"FUCK YOU for posting a link to a page that has an ADVERTISEMENT FOR AARC!!!  Post what you want about your experience but don't fucking push they're rhetoric here and advertise for a place that has harmed so many kids.

So much for free speech! It amazes me that people who feel they were abused, muzzled and not allowed to speak what they truely felt will turn around and judge my writings before ever reading them. "Contempt prior to investigation." My story involves my time at AARC, and so the site that has my book on it has links to AARC as well as some of the history of AARC.

I really don't know what to make of the "BINGO" comment. The only BINGO I know is written from a guy in Quebec named Roger Caron who was a life long criminal.

Dave

http://www.demonandmonk.com"

It is precisely because of the things you say like "contempt prior to investigation" along with your support of an abusive cult that makes people angry. They are not telling you that you are a horrible person (like aarc does), just very brainwashed and they dont want to be like you. That's all. What they're saying is, don't spew this brain numbing stuff around us, we're trying to escape and keep whatever sanity that we have left intact. That message is very different than a group of people basically keeping people locked up and convincing them that they can't even trust their most basic instincts and that they're horrible people. Two totally different things. Your inability to discriminate these two things also is a sign that your higher intellectual abilities have been disrupted.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 10:40:00 AM »
On 2005-05-11 16:56:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Riiiiight. Because you have been here to Calgary, and checked it out yourself. It's like me saying Disney Land is the Devil's playground, though of course I've never been there, but someone told me it's scary. Personally, I trust my own experience. "

Well so you're saying you'd rather get treatment even descending from a program created my INSANE CHILD ABUSERS than, say, treatment that was created by real psychologists with a method that has been researched and that is accepted by mainstream therapists, along with society. Why would you choose that one over the other?? Because you were there? Ever hear of the syndrome where you come to love your abusers?

Offline demonandmonk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »
On 2005-05-12 07:40:00, Anonymous wrote:

Well so you're saying you'd rather get treatment even descending from a program created my INSANE CHILD ABUSERS than, say, treatment that was created by real psychologists with a method that has been researched and that is accepted by mainstream therapists, along with society. Why would you choose that one over the other?? Because you were there? Ever hear of the syndrome where you come to love your abusers? "

You mean Real Psychologist like my father, a Ph.d? Or how about my mother, an MSc. Ch. Psych. Both were involed from the inception. You don't get more mainstream than them. As far as choosing one method over another, the Government of Alberta has struggled for over 20 years with helping adolescents get sober using 28 day programs, day programs etc. Now they are holding up AARC as the example for the future because most of the almost 300 clients are doing well, living very independently of AARC and contributing to society, drug free. The Corrections Centre for youth where I volunteer is full kids who have been through the regular facilities, here, in other provinces and in the US. In 13 years sober, I have met only a handfull of kids who got sober, stayed sober from going through your idea of accepted methodolgy. AARC uses AA aaproved material, the kids go through all 12 steps, (not 7 like KIDS), get help with schooling (teachers are on staff), help with jobs, family counselling, etc.

Talk to former Kids prisoners who have seen AARC or worked there and ask what they think. The ones I know say it is incredibly different from Kids. Do they have Stockholm Syndrome as well?

AARC certainly worked for me. Prison didn't. Family counselling and individual therapy didn't. I find it interesting that people who are against AARC always claim supporters have Stockholm Syndrome, and thus cannot be trusted, yet those against are perfectly rational.

ww.demonandmonk.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
I wasn't claiming Stockholm Syndrom simply because you like it there, but I reasoned it out. Things are not black or white (for me). Your parents were obviously NOT mainstream if they got into that. Regardless of their degrees. What research are you getting your info from?? There is actually research to the contrary, that harsh places like that do NOT work, instead family therapy at home is recommended. Or are you just quoting someone with an agenda. There is no research proving AA is any better than anything else either. The majority of people actually have been shown to get better *all by themselves* over time. People in a cult absolutely cannot accept this information though, it would destroy them. So truth be damned.

Offline demonandmonk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »
On 2005-05-12 07:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-05-11 12:30:00, demonandmonk wrote:

"

Dave

http://www.demonandmonk.com"

It is precisely because of the things you say like "contempt prior to investigation" along with your support of an abusive cult that makes people angry. They are not telling you that you are a horrible person (like aarc does), just very brainwashed and they dont want to be like you. That's all. What they're saying is, don't spew this brain numbing stuff around us, we're trying to escape and keep whatever sanity that we have left intact. That message is very different than a group of people basically keeping people locked up and convincing them that they can't even trust their most basic instincts and that they're horrible people. Two totally different things. Your inability to discriminate these two things also is a sign that your higher intellectual abilities have been disrupted. "

You seem to have learned your lessons of how to abuse, patronize and belittle people well from your former captors. Telling someone that "They are not telling you that you are a horrible person (like aarc does), just very brainwashed and they dont want to be like you." and "your higher intellectual abilities have been disrupted" is wonderful. Because, of course what you believe about AARC is "right" and anyone else with an opinion, especially one based on first hand knowledge and end results, is wrong (brainwashed). But then the abused often become the abuser, and worst of all they do it with amazing self-righteousness (and anonymously).

ww.demonandmonk.com

Offline demonandmonk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »
"family therapy at home"

I left home at 16, was involved in crime to keep my addition fed and pay the bills. As I said we tried family therapy. It did not work for us. Every client of AARC's that I have spoken with went through multiple therapy and treatment options, none of which touched them, only gave them a great therapeutic vocabulary. Straight and Kids did not work. But AARC is very different from both those places - ask the Kids of BC survivors who know AARC. But oh yeah, truth be damned.

And you pooh pooh my parents credentials - what are yours?

ww.demonandmonk.com

Offline demonandmonk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »
On 2005-05-12 08:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Look, the whole concept of 'breaking' a kid is fucked!!  The similarities between AARC and Straight absolutely CANNOT be denied...PERIOD.  You can tap dance around it all you want, but its the same shit with a slightly different wrapper.  A complete mindfuck and rape of the soul."

Riiiight....because you say so. Have you been in AARC? Have you spoken with clients and families who have been through there and gotten the variety of stories from them? I certainly was not broken, and anyone who knows me, whether they like AARC or not, would likely agree. My soul is not only intact and whole, it grows better all the time. I know my past, and the things I did. I don't do those things anymore, and have a terrific life. I feel sad for you, because I believe that your mind and soul were affected by your experience. I hope you experience the healing you need, I hope you can stop the hysterical, nasty diatribe and engage in a reasonable, mature discussion.

ww.demonandmonk.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »
NIH Office of the Director (OD)  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Friday, October 15, 2004

E-mail this page
Subscribe      CONTACT:
Kelli Marciel
NIH Consensus Development Program
301-496-4819

Panel Finds that Scare Tactics for Violence Prevention are Harmful
Good news is that positive approaches show promise

Bethesda, Maryland ? Programs that rely on ?scare tactics? to prevent children and adolescents from engaging in violent behavior are not only ineffective, but may actually make the problem worse, according to an independent state-of-the-science panel convened this week by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The panel, charged with assessing the available evidence on preventing violence and other health-risking behaviors in adolescents, announced today its assessment of the current research.

The panel found that group detention centers, boot camps, and other ?get tough? programs often exacerbate problems by grouping young people with delinquent tendencies, where the more sophisticated instruct the more naïve. Similarly, the practice of transferring juveniles to the adult judicial system can be counterproductive, resulting in greater violence among incarcerated youth.

?The good news is that a number of intervention programs have been demonstrated to be effective through randomized controlled trials,? explained Dr. Robert L. Johnson, Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, who chaired the state-of-the-science panel. ?We were pleased to find several programs that work, and we hope that communities will adopt them and continue to develop other interventions that incorporate the features common to successful programs.?

The panel highlighted two programs that are clearly effective in reducing arrests and out-of-home placements: Functional Family Therapy, and Multisystemic Therapy. Among the important characteristics that these programs have in common are a focus on developing social competency skills, a long-term approach, and family involvement.

The panel also identified strengths and weaknesses in the field of violence prevention research, and made a number of recommendations to shape future efforts. Among these, the panel advocated a national population-based adolescent violence registry, and greater emphasis on economic research into the cost-effectiveness of intervention to prevent violence.

The panel released its findings in a public session this morning, following two days of expert presentations and panel deliberations. The full text of the panel's draft statement will be available late today at http://consensus.nih.gov. The final version will be available at the same Web address in three to four weeks. Statements from past conferences and additional information about the NIH Consensus Development Program are also available at the Web site, or by calling 1-888-644-2667.

The panel is independent and its report is not a policy statement of the NIH or the Federal Government. The NIH Consensus Development Program, of which this conference is a part, was established in 1977 as a mechanism to judge controversial topics in medicine and public health in an unbiased, impartial manner. NIH has conducted 119 consensus development conferences, and 23 state-of-the-science (formerly "technology assessment") conferences, addressing a wide range of issues.

The conference was sponsored by the Office of Medical Applications of Research and the National Institute of Mental Health, of the NIH. Cosponsors included the Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research, the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institute of Nursing Research, the National Library of Medicine, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the U.S. Department of Education, and the U.S. Department of Justice.

The 13-member panel included practitioners and researchers in community and family medicine, pediatrics, nursing, psychiatry, behavioral health, economics, juvenile justice, outcomes research, and a public representative. The panel reviewed an extensive collection of scientific literature related to youth violence prevention, including a systematic literature review prepared by the Southern California Evidence-Based Practice Center, under contract with the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. A summary of the Evidence Report on Preventing Violence and Related Health-Risking Social Behaviors in Adolescents is available at http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/adolvisum.htm.

The archived webcast of the conference sessions will be available shortly at http://consensus.nih.gov/.

Note to TV Editors: The news conference at 2 p.m. today will be broadcast live via satellite on the following coordinates:

Galaxy 3 Transponder 02 C-Band
Orbital slot: 95 degrees West
Downlink Freq: 3740 Vertical
Audio: 6.2/6.8
Test time: 1:30 p.m. ET
Broadcast: 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. ET

Note to Radio Editors: An audio report of the conference results will be available after 4 p.m. today from the NIH Radio News Service by calling 1-800-MED-DIAL (1-800-633-3425).

The NIH comprises the Office of the Director and 27 Institutes and Centers. The Office of the Director is the central office at NIH, and is responsible for setting policy for NIH and for planning, managing, and coordinating the programs and activities of all the NIH components. The NIH is a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Home > News & Events  E-mail this page
Subscribe to receive future NIH news releases.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »
MST TREATMENT MODEL

MULTISYSTEMIC THERAPY

AT A GLANCE

Program Overview:

Multisystemic Therapy (MST) is an intensive family- and community-based treatment that addresses the multiple determinants of serious antisocial behavior in juvenile offenders. The multisystemic approach views individuals as being nested within a complex network of interconnected systems that encompass individual, family, and extrafamilial (peer, school, neighborhood) factors. Intervention may be necessary in any one or a combination of these systems.

Program Targets:

MST targets chronic, violent, or substance abusing juvenile offenders at high risk of out-of-home placement and their families.

Program Content:

MST addresses the multiple factors known to be related to delinquency across the key settings, or systems, within which youth are embedded.. MST strives to promote behavior change in the youth?s natural environment, using the strengths of each system (e.g., family, peers, school, neighborhood, indigenous support network) to facilitate change.

The major goal of MST is to empower parents with the skills and resources needed to independently address the difficulties that arise in raising teenagers and to empower youth to cope with family, peer, school, and neighborhood problems. Within a context of support and skill building, the therapist places developmentally appropriate demands on the adolescent and family for responsible behavior. Intervention strategies are integrated into a social ecological context and include strategic family therapy, structural family therapy, behavioral parent training, and cognitive behavior therapies.

MST is provided using a home-based model of services delivery. This model helps to overcome barriers to service access, increases family retention in treatment, allows for the provision of intensive services (i.e., therapists have low caseloads), and enhances the maintenance of treatment gains. The usual duration of MST treatment is approximately 4 months.

Program Outcomes:

Evaluations of MST have demonstrated:

reduced long-term rates of criminal offending in serious juvenile offenders,
    reduced rates of out-of-home placements for serious juvenile offenders,
    extensive improvements in family functioning,
    decreased mental health problems for serious juvenile offenders,
    favorable outcomes at cost savings in comparison with usual mental health and juvenile justice services.
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

Background

Multisystemic Therapy (MST) was developed in the late 1970s to address several limitations of existing mental health services for serious juvenile offenders. These limitations include minimal effectiveness, low accountability of service providers for outcomes, and high cost.

Treatment efforts, in general, have failed to address the complexity of youth needs, being individually-oriented, narrowly focused, and delivered in settings that bear little relation to the problems being addressed (e.g., residential treatment centers, outpatient clinics). Given overwhelming empirical evidence that serious antisocial behavior is determined by the interplay of individual, family, peer, school, and neighborhood factors, it is not surprising that treatments of serious antisocial behavior have been largely ineffective. Restrictive out-of-home placements, such as residential treatment, psychiatric hospitalization, and incarceration, fail to address the known determinants of serious antisocial behavior and fail to alter the natural ecology to which the youth will eventually return. Furthermore, mental health and juvenile justice authorities have had virtually no accountability for outcome, a situation that does not enhance performance. The ineffectiveness of out-of-home placement, coupled with extremely high costs, have led many youth advocates to search for viable alternatives. MST is one treatment model that has a well-documented capacity to address the aforementioned difficulties in providing effective services for juvenile offenders.

Theoretical Rationale/Conceptual Framework

Consistent with social-ecological models of behavior and findings from causal modeling studies of delinquency and drug use, MST posits that youth antisocial behavior is multidetermined and linked with characteristics of the individual youth and his or her family, peer group, school, and community contexts. As such, MST interventions aim to attenuate risk factors by building youth and family strengths (protective factors) on a highly individualized and comprehensive basis. The provision of home-based services circumvents barriers to service access that often characterize families of serious juvenile offenders. An emphasis on parental empowerment to modify the natural social network of their children facilitates the maintenance and generalization of treatment gains.

Brief Description of Intervention

MST is a pragmatic and goal-oriented treatment that specifically targets those factors in each youth?s social network that are contributing to his or her antisocial behavior. Thus, MST interventions typically aim to improve caregiver discipline practices, enhance family affective relations, decrease youth association with deviant peers, increase youth association with prosocial peers, improve youth school or vocational performance, engage youth in prosocial recreational outlets, and develop an indigenous support network of extended family, neighbors, and friends to help caregivers achieve and maintain such changes. Specific treatment techniques used to facilitate these gains are integrated from those therapies that have the most empirical support, including cognitive behavioral, behavioral, and the pragmatic family therapies.

MST services are delivered in the natural environment (e.g., home, school, community). The treatment plan is designed in collaboration with family members and is, therefore, family driven rather than therapist driven. The ultimate goal of MST is to empower families to build an environment, through the mobilization of indigenous child, family, and community resources, that promotes health. The typical duration of home-based MST services is approximately 4 months, with multiple therapist-family contacts occurring each week.

Although MST is a family-based treatment model that has similarities with other family therapy approaches, several substantive differences are evident. First, MST places considerable attention on factors in the adolescent and family?s social networks that are linked with antisocial behavior. Hence, for example, MST priorities include removing offenders from deviant peer groups, enhancing school or vocational performance, and developing an indigenous support network for the family to maintain therapeutic gains. Second, MST programs have an extremely strong commitment to removing barriers to service access (see e.g., the home-based model of service delivery). Third, MST services are more intensive than traditional family therapies (e.g., several hours of treatment per week vs. 50 minutes). Fourth, and most important, MST has well-documented long-term outcomes with adolescents presenting serious antisocial behavior and their families.

The strongest and most consistent support for the effectiveness of MST comes from controlled studies that focused on violent and chronic juvenile offenders. Importantly, results from these studies showed that MST outcomes were similar for youths across the adolescent age range (i.e., 12-17 years), for males and females, and for African-American vs. white youths and families.