Author Topic: A cult?  (Read 39684 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 18:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Thanks for the references.  I will check other translations.  There really is no need to be sarcastic or belittling.  I am impressed with your's and Buzz's knowledge, but Buzz's grace."

no surprise there.

But thank you too!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 18:00:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I appreciate the respect given.  My Bible says bulls and wild oxen.  I first went to Psalm 22.  I will check other translations.  Thanks"

some of the newer versions are editing out 'controversial' passages or outright changing them.

How honest is that? What does it say about the bible being the word of god?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »
greg, I have met one Christian that is as well versed and knowledged as you.  I am hoping he will join this discussion.  I would love to read the debate!  Hopefully this can continue.  I have to go, but will be back tomorrow.  Again thanks!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »
I think that history often repeats itself. We will see another Caesar, another hitler, over and over again. It's not that difficult to make a prophecy on that point when it happens repeatedly over the course of history.

Anyways, as for evolution. I think that evolution is the most plausible. All animals and creatures are seperated into groups/genus/etc. Why would animals be related to each other if they did not evolve from a similar organism?
Human DNA apparently has very similar qualities to primates, which is why humans are in the family (I guess XD). We are homosapiens, right?

Anyways, the thought that god created everything doesn't make sense. Why would he create things that have died out and others have come from those? Like a lot of the animals around today never used to exsist way back when, they just came about recently.
You can see examples of evolution in simple adaptation. Animals will adapt to their surroundings (except for humans of course) and this happens right now. It doesn't take millions of years for it to adapt, it would take it millions to evolve completely though.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I don't buy that god created everyone. Even if he did, he obviously included evolution into the picture.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 18:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"greg, I have met one Christian that is as well versed and knowledged as you.  I am hoping he will join this discussion.  I would love to read the debate!  Hopefully this can continue.  I have to go, but will be back tomorrow.  Again thanks!"

Cya!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
A cult?
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 18:24:00, GregFL wrote:

On 2005-05-12 18:00:00, Anonymous wrote:

What does it say about the bible being the word of god?

Maybe "the kingdom of God is within you" really means, litterally, "get over yourselves, it's all in your heads!"

Patient memoirs are a kind of protest literature like slave narratives or witness testimonies.
Anonymity Anonymous
return undef() if /coercion/i;
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2005, 10:38:00 PM »
I actually prefer the translations that mention the Unicorn.

I don't know what animal was actually being described but I could ask some Jewish friends if they can give any insight.

Greg (and Ginger)- I disagree :wink: But you know that, don't you.

For me, the 22ed psalms is pure and profound prophecy. It seems so clear to me, it is hard to believe you or anyone could dismiss it - but you do; and so do many others. I don't. For me, it is very real evidence that Jesus not only existed but that He is who He claimed to be. Isaiah 53 as well - and so many others.

Why do you think the men who wrote the New Testament did so? If it is all myth & lies, why would they be willing to die for it? If they had not seen these things (and I believe they did) where would they get the courage to publicly proclaim the Gospel message; when it meant persecution and death - These same men who had run scared before the resurrection, are afterwards preaching in the streets a risen Christ. Why?

I am sure you have some kind of response diametrically opposed to my view point; but for me, this too, is solid evidence Jesus was; and was who He claimed to be.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 19:38:00, BuzzKill wrote:

For me, the 22ed psalms is pure and profound prophecy. It seems so clear to me, it is hard to believe you or anyone could dismiss it - but you do; and so do many others. I don't. For me, it is very real evidence that Jesus not only existed but that He is who He claimed to be.

Karen, that makes no sense. I've got a book here that, in chapter one, suggests that twins might be psychic. Then in chapter 22, by God the twins in this novel demostrate psychic ability! Does that prove anything at all?

No, it doesn't, it's self referencing. All your example proves is that the people who spun the tales in the New Testament had read and generally believed the Old Testament.

But what difference does it make anyway? I think religion has it's place, but it's essentially legand and mythology. Our legendary heros manifest all that we aspire to and our legendary villans serve the opposite purpose. That's all good and useful and fine, so long as you don't take it too, too seriously. You should never trust a person's intentions or integrity simply because they tell you the fairy tales you like to hear. That would be taking it too seriously.

If you think yourself too wise to involve
yourself in government, you will be governed
by those too foolish to govern.  
--Plato

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »

If it is all myth & lies, why would they be willing to die for it?

If that's a good argument for Christianity, is it a good argument for radical Islam?

When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obliged to call for help of the civil power, 'tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one.
--Benjamin Franklin, American Founding Father, author, and inventor

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2005, 11:33:00 PM »
There is quit a bit of difference between the way the disciples faced death, and the radical Islamist.
It may not be a good argument - but it is significant to me.

As for the psalms, I just don't see it that way Ginger. The writers of the New Testament had no influence on Rome devising crucifixion; or what  David described in his lament.

I'm logging off tonight. I'll look back in tomorrow.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2005, 11:35:00 PM »

"I actually prefer the translations that mention the Unicorn.

Me too. It gives a fantasy element to a fantasy book.

For me, the 22ed psalms is pure and profound prophecy. It seems so clear to me, it is hard to believe you or anyone could dismiss it ......

I didn't dismiss it, I went searching for a rational explanation for your claim. Unfortunately it leads away from the supernatural.

22 psalm seems clear to you because you want it to be. I have gone back and read the text in context in 5 different versions of the bible. In fact, your basic premise that it was written prior to cruxifictions in history and thereby evidence of a supernatural prediction of the future  is flawed. It was not. In fact, Rome had been cruxifying Jews for many man years prior to the writing of the new testament.

cruxifictions in  history predate the bible by many hundreds of years and this particular myth predates even the old testament, that is, a god as man dying and rising to heaven from the dead.

cruxifictions in history..this has been verified to at least 330 years before jesus:

"Though born in a dungeon, Krishna was said to be of royal descent. He is said to have descended into Hades before returning to Yiacontna. One of his names is ?the Good Shepherd?. An Indian prophet , Nared Saphos, or Wisdom, visited him, consulted the stars, and pronounced him a celestial being. He cured a leper; a woman poured some ointment on his head, and was cured of her disease. Fellow shepherds chose him to be their king, and he washed the feet of Brahmins. He had a dreadful fight with the serpent Caluga. He was crucified between two thieves, went to hell, and afterwards to heaven??

http://livingheritage.org/babylon.htm

In actuality, it isn't even an original idea to christianity but instead was a common pagan god/myth. cruxifiction and ascenction into heaven.

What is very suspect of your premise that psalm 22 is a prediction of the future is that viewed from  the old testament forward there is no prediction of the son of god at all, no evidence of a future, nothing. It is someone relating their fears, but from the new testament backward several phrases are directly lifted such as "why hath tho foresaken thee".  What this indicates is that the new testament writers were trying to match their fable to existing text and instead of being evidence of a supernatural prediction, instead becomes evidence of human creative writing in the new testament, written many many years after Jesus's supposed death with the old testament as source material and also after the likely  deaths of the apostles as well, if they existed. This is why apostalistic accounts in the bible sometimes refer to themselves in third person, because they didn't write them! Or if they existed, and they wrote them, they were in their 90s, and the average age in the first century was 35 years old. what is blantantly obvious is that something is amiss here.

If you remove your dogma for a minute and really attempt to understand what I just said, you will perhaps understand what probably occured here. That the christian warrior sect grew and as they conquered neighbors and attempted to assimilate the pagan people into their religion, that they created a myth based on Pagan religions is not surprising at all.

Why do you think the men who wrote the New Testament did so?

I have explained this above.

If they had not seen these things (and I believe they did) where would they get the courage to publicly proclaim the Gospel message; when it meant persecution and death - These same men who had run scared before the resurrection, are afterwards preaching in the streets a risen Christ. Why?

There is no historical evidence this is true. What there is historical evidence of is that some 60 years after Christ's supposed death, these things started to be written down. But during and immediately after Christ's alleged life, there is no independent contemporary historical sources. None save a few fraudulent passages inserted into texts.  this is highly suspect.

But lets entertain for a moment it is true..why would they do it? I can answer like this...

why do modern day muslims strap bombs to their bodies and fly planes into buildings? Is this solid evidence of their god?

Why did Joseph Smith take the time to write the mormon bible? Is this evidence of his divinity?

Why did Kamakazi pilots pray to their god, strap themselves into planes and take a one way trip into american ships? Did this validate the Japanese Belief that they were go to heaven upon impact?

These are all examples of the extremes people go to in the name of god. Your god deserves no special pleading. Because one does something is in no way evidence of righteousness.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2005, 11:39:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 19:47:00, Antigen wrote:

"

For me, the 22ed psalms is pure and profound prophecy. It seems so clear to me, it is hard to believe you or anyone could dismiss it - but you do; and so do many others. I don't. For me, it is very real evidence that Jesus not only existed but that He is who He claimed to be.

Karen, that makes no sense. I've got a book here that, in chapter one, suggests that twins might be psychic. Then in chapter 22, by God the twins in this novel demostrate psychic ability! Does that prove anything at all?

No, it doesn't, it's self referencing. All your example proves is that the people who spun the tales in the New Testament had read and generally believed the Old Testament.

"

Bingo! and like I said, looking back you can match...looking forward you cannot. This is true of all books and of all "prophecy". Again, real future predictions aren't clocked in extreme ambiquity.  You can "prove" anything you want by frantically searching backwards for matching references.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »
On 2005-05-12 16:56:00, BuzzKill wrote:

. *Maybe* you were open to the influence of spirits that did not have your best interest at heart. *Maybe* that is why when you opened the Bible and read, you found yourself influenced to view all you read threw a negative lens.

Have you read much CS Lewis...

He sums up in the preface, the two mistakes so often made by men on the subject of demons:

There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils.

Yes, I have read some CS Lewis Buzzkill. I find it interesting in the context it is written but no very different than modern day thought stopping christian apologetic arguments. He seeks to prove the bible with the bible.

So in the final analysis, this is your thesis, It was a devil or demon thrusting those people down in the church, making them profess Jesus as their savior and asking the "holy spirit" into their lives? and this demon caused me to read the bible "thru a negative lens".

My dear Lady, please. My world is not occupied by evil spirits, ghosts, goblins, demons, angels, or gods. These are all the intellectual property of the credulous. You are the one guility of reading the bible thru a lens, but it is rose colored and painted with the film of illogic and unreason.

I demand credible evidence before I accept anything and rarely accept anything at face value. The bible was an exception because I was young and I had experienced a physical phenomena and people were sharing the experience around me. When I set out to read it, I did so from the vantage point of a "saved" christian. I wanted to know EVERYTHING about Jesus and God, and I fully expected to find evidence to support what I was hearing from these people, fully expected to find bible prophecy indicating support for Isreal's reestablishment and shortly thereafter the world would experience rapture. I did what most christians never have, I read the bible IN CONTEXT. It seemed important to me at the time, and whatwith being socially isolated, I had the time.  No supernatural being led me thru the bible, on the inverse, my very real ability to reason and draw conclusions based on evidence came into play. What I found was a god very different from what I was told he was, and ancient myths that were impossible, cruel and mean, and downright silly, and supposed "prophecy" that turned out to be mere wishfull thinking and fraudulent. The more I read the more I realized the whole thing was made up just as the Roman and greek gods that preceeded him.

I am a science Junkie, always have been. No, I am not a scientist but I believe in the scientific method. This method closely resembles one of my life philosophies.. skepticism. Skepticism sounds NEGATIVE, but really it is a life affirming POSITIVE way to view everything. You take absolute foregone conclusions and throw them out the window. You look at everything and try to arrive at truth based on the evidence available.

You may see a story of Jesus on a piece of toast for example and automatically see "jesus" or a "demon" at work. Immediately this piece of toast moves out of the natural world and into the supernatural realm..

I, on the other hand,  look for all possible explanations, and look for the simpilist most likely explanation. How many pieces of toast are there in the world?(many) How many christians?(many) Is there a phenomena that causes people to see familiar things in abstract objects and designs (yes)? Is there an actual magical being called Jesus? (inconclusive)would he be likely to manifest himself on a piece of burnt rye bread?(not likely). Are their fraudulent images and artifacts of Jesus in the world?(yes). How many (Mucho).

Conclusion...this is highly unlikely to be true. Notice "highly unlikely" because room is always allowed for new information.

This is a way of training your brain to think, Buzzkill. You have not critically examined one piece of information I, Ginger, Nithalantic (by the way, I just went back and read your posts on earlier pages..around 5...most excellent !) or any of the anon posters have brought up. YOu haven't resolved the inhumanity, the contradictions, the competing myths that predate and resemble the Jesus story. Instead, you throw them out and embrace the bible "feelgoodie" stories or dismiss them as "mysteries" never considering the ramifications of the nature of god that advocates and demands murder, rape and slavery. You take "prophecy" at face value without coming to terms with the loose means of backward assocation and never consider that the writers of the new testament had these texts as their blueprint. I could go on and on.

Meanwhile, I have taken each and every piece of "proof  IE: prophecy" you have thrown out and shown you a logic valid explanation as to how this is likely not supernatural but wishfull assocation and creative writing. You have ignored it.

In the final analysis, this thread was very interesting to me, and I hope to you. What I got out of it was that the credulous really just want to prothelise and aren't interested in intellectual discourse. You and your anon poster share this trait. Someone will spend great time to engage you with well thought out arguments, and you come back with shallow and hollow responses.

It may be time to move on.  I hope if nothing else, you will  understand when you make supernatural proclamations, that the proclamation itself is not evidence of the supernatural, and that the  supernatural realm you base your entire life on is dismissed by many many more people than you previously thought. The accuracy of the bible is not a foregone conclusion, and calling competing religions cults because they don't follow your supernatural book verbatim is arrogant and unfair.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2005, 11:22:00 AM »
When exactly Rome began crucifixion, I don't know. But back when David was writing the psalms, there was no Rome, and no notion of crucifixion. And yet, David, inspired by the Holy Sprit, gave a perfect description of what it feels like to be crucified. I think that is very significant.

I personally do not believe, as you do, that the gospel accounts of Christ's crucifixion were written to describe the 22ed psalm; Or Isaiah 53; But I knew you would make that argument with regard to the words from the cross and the solders gambling. What for me is undeniable evidence of the Holy Spirit's influencing the words of David, is the accurate description of the pains of crucifixion - long before anyone was crucified and able to report first hand what it was like; some One Thousand Years before Jesus was walking the streets of Jerusalem.

In my opinion, your comparing the disciples to Joseph Smith or Mohamed is considerably flawed. The disciples were relating first hand accounts that were very likely to get them arrested, tortured and murdered. There was no earthly reason to do this. No power or wealth would result.

The same can not be said of the others you list.

The comparison with the radical Islamist seems especially absurd to me. They seek out their own deaths so as to cause death for many more. The disciples did no such thing - they sought to bring life; and were willing to face painful death to do it. I contend they would not have done this for a lie or a myth.

The kamikazes? Well, judging from the accounts given by Japanese survivors of WWII, they mostly didn't want to do that- but their culture was such that they faced ruined if they didn't - so they more or less had no choice. So, this ia also an inapropreate comparison.

Frankly, I don't think there is anything to compare with the change in the disciples behavior after the resurrection.
Something changed them. Something sudden and radical, that turned a bunch of trembling, frightened, defeated men, into bold, unwavering, proclaimers of the Gospel. In my opinion, that something is the fact of the Risen Lord.

Greg, you seem to put a lot of faith in the late dating of the gospel accounts. I can't think why. It seems understandable enough to me that the first (and so oldest) accounts would be pretty much disintegrated by the passing of time. I don't think we can expect to be able to find them; or to prove their age if we did. When the various books were written, and by whom, is a topic of constant debate. Personally, I feel the authors can be believed - and I do believe them. I don't much care when they wrote - but I don't believe it was at as late a date as your sources claim.

As to the Unicorn - there is a great deal of debate on what the animal actually was; tho it is understandable why the King James translators used the word Unicorn in their translations. It seems some argument can be made that some such creature did exist; and apparently, the Unicorn best fits the idea of it, when translating the text into old English.

Quote:

III. It was an early opinion, and the opinion was probably entertained by the authors of the Septuagint translation, and by the English translators as well as by others, that the animal here referred to was the unicorn. This animal was long supposed to be a fabulous animal, and it has not been until recently that the evidences of its existence have been confirmed. These evidences are adduced by Rosenmuller, "Morgenland, ii. p. 269, following," and by Prof. Robinson, "Calmet, pp. 908,909." They are, summarily, the following:
(1) Pliny mentions such an animal, and gives a description of it, though from his time for centuries it seems to have been unknown. "His. Nat. 8,21." His language is, Asperrimam autem feram monocerotem reliquo corpore equo similem, capite cervo, pedibus elephanti, cauda apro, mugitu gravi, uno cornu nigro media fronte cubitorum duum eminente. IIanc feram vivam negant capi. "The unicorn is an exceeding fierce animal, resembling a horse as to the rest of his body, but having the head like a stag, the feet like an elephant, and the tail like a wild boar; its roaring is loud; and it has a black horn of about two cubits projecting from the middle of the forehead."
(2) The figure of the unicorn, in various attitudes, according to Niebuhr, is depicted on almost all the staircases in the ruins of Persepolis. "Reisebeschreib. ii. S. 127."
(3) In 1530, Ludovice de Bartema, a Roman patrician, visited Mecca under the assumed character of a Mussulman, and among other curiosities that he mentions, he says, "On the other side of the caaba is a walled court, in which we saw two unicorns that were pointed out to us as a rarity; and they are indeed truly remarkable. The larger of the two is built like a three-year-old colt, and has a horn upon the forehead about three ells long. This animal has the color of a yellowish-brown horse, a head like a stag, a neck not very long, with a thin mane; the legs are small and slender like those of a hind or roe; the hoofs of the fore feet are divided, and resemble the hoofs of a goat. Rosenmuller. "Alte u. neue Morgenland, No. 377. Thes ii. S. 271, 272."
(4) Don Juan Gabriel, a Portuguese colonel, who lived several years in Abyssinia, assures us that in the region of Agamos, in the Abyssinian province of Darners, he had seen an animal of the form and size of a middle-sized horse, of a dark, chestnut-brown color, and with a whitish horn about five spans long upon its forehead; the mane and tail were black, and the legs long and slender. Several other Portuguese, who were placed in confinement upon a high mountain in the district Namna, by the Abyssinian king Saghedo, related that they had seen at the mountain several unicorns feeding. These accounts are confirmed by Lobe, who lived for a long time as a missionary in Abyssinia.
(5) Dr. Sparrman the Swedish naturalist, who visited the Cape of Good Hope and the adjacent regions in 1772-1776, gives, in his Travels, the following account: Jacob Kock an observing peasant on Hippopotamus river, who had traveled over a considerable part of Southern Africa, found on the face of a perpendicular rock, a drawing made by the Hotttentots of an animal with a single horn. The Hottentots told him that the animal there represented was very like the horse on which he rode, but had a straight horn upon the forehead. They added, that these one-horned animals were rare; that they ran with great rapidity, and that they were very fierce.
End quote

Most contend the actual animal was a  rhinoceros; others think a large antelope. What ever it was, it was large, and very wild (never domesticated) and powerful - with a horn or horns.

As for the historical record - More and more evidence is being found that the people and places of the Bible did exist and that the Biblical history is accurate. For example:
The book is entitled A Test of Time: The Bible From Myth to History (Century Publishers, Lon don, 1995). It was written by an Egyptologist by the name of David Rohl who is currently completing his doctoral thesis at University College in London. The book was converted by the BBC into a highly ac claimed television series called, "Pharaohs and Kings." The book has not yet been published in the United States, but it is scheduled for publication in July by Random House under the title, Pharaohs and Kings.

Link to article about this:
http://www.lamblion.com/articles/other/ ... /RI-19.php

[ This Message was edited by: BuzzKill on 2005-05-13 08:35 ]

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
We disagree Greg. we're coming at this from opposite directions and reaching opposing conclusions. Its just that simple.

I am fully aware Many people disagree with me on these things. I am not at all surprised at the numbers of those who are on your side of this debate.

As for defining a cult - I was clear enough, I think, that I was giving a Christian definition - and that there are other definitions. I don't think that is arrogant or unfair.

I can't argue science with your same skill - but I believe science leads one to Biblical conclusions - if one isn't to deeply committed to the dogma of random chance and eons.