Author Topic: A cult?  (Read 39688 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »
On 2005-05-13 14:22:00, Timoclea wrote:

"2nd Law of Thermo, explained in very small words.  It's still an approximation, but unlike the approximation used by the creationists, this one is actually close enough to not distort the fundamental meaning of the 2nd law:

In any closed system, entropy increases.

"Entropy" does not really mean "disorder."  Entropy means heat.  A lot of people say entropy means disorder, but there are a lot of kinds of disorder, and heat is a specific kind of disorder.  Heat is the kind of disorder the 2nd Law is talking about.  But it's talking about it in a very complicated way.

"Closed System" means an area in space that no energy is entering or leaving, and that no matter is entering or leaving.

"Closed System" is talking about that whole area as a whole.  Entropy can decrease in one part of that closed system.  The 2nd Law just says that if Entropy does decrease in one part of the closed system, it increases a just a little bit more than the decrease somewhere else in that system.

"

Biiingggoooo!

More grey matter steps up to the plate...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »
Timoclea, one point I disagree with you on.

You profer  "christian scientists" (ha) that claim  the 2nd law of thermodynamics disproves evolution do so because of ignorance or stupidity.

I beg to differ. Sure, the followers of the religion, the mostly scientific ignorant american masses, pick up that banter and run with it, but the actual people at the top of this effort to squash science know what it is. They get it crammed down their throat at debate after debate, and their response is to roll out of  of the topic and throw more stones.

So my point of disagreement is this. When someone like Buzz takes up the banter, she is doing it sincerely out of dogma and  out of scientific ignorance. Agreed.

But the "creation science" movement?

Nahhh, they are a bunch of liars with an agenda.

They know better...

They also know Evolution is one of the most evidenciary supported theories in all of science, yet they say "evolution is just a theory" to ring the bell of the scientific ignorant. Then, instead of providing an alternative theory, they march out distortions, lies, ridicule, and then try to make their audience choose between the two. It is a snake oil side show.

Reference Buzzkill's cut and paste about 'Carl Pagan' as an example. This page takes one of the most brilliant scientific minds ever, Carl Sagan, and belittles him and attributes silly words to him that aren't his, takes an actual scientific theory and distorts it, and then leaves it hanging for you to choose. This isn't ignorance, it is a sophisticated Ruse.

Most laymen don't even understand what a scientific theory is and this is a dishonest attempt at discrediting science, not an honest alternative scientific theory.

So, my conclusion is, "creation science" is a continuation of the time honored christian attempt at directly stopping science, because science shines the light away from their superstitions.

It is anything but real science. There is not one existing creation account that holds up under the scrutiny of the scientific method.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »
// I just read your response Buzzkill. I am NOT angry, I am tired of answering questions over and over. //

Well good. Glad to hear it.

I too get tired of repeating myself.

But I do want to stress, I did not discount your time line off hand. After giving it some thought, I decided it was not accurate. Men were not old at 30, and there is no way to know exactly when the first copies of the Gospels and letters were written.  

I do read what you write - but often times I have to read some, and logg off, and come back and read some more. No doubt I do miss stuff - but I don't intend to.

// You claim to indicate that you can trace timelines in the bible. This is a highly disputed claim with people who study the bible. Even bible verses contradict themselves hugely, and further, the time lines are based on the age of people who are, in the bible, professed to live up to almost a thousand years. //

I claim nothing of the sort. I wouldn't dare. But there are plenty of historians who do place David's reign One Thousand Years before the time of Christ.  I am not aware of this being in dispute.

The long life spans you mention were before the flood. You'll notice a dramatic drop afterwards. David was after. I have heard a good sermon on why they had those long lives - but no doubt the whole thing would just be more myth to the fairytale, as far as your concerned.

//In other words, your statement that Paul wrote psalm 22 1000 years before the new testament is based on a supernatural premise that man lived for 13 times his current lifespan, and 28 times the lifespan of the average 1st century man. //

No, see this isn't so. David lived a long life - but more or less what men today might expect. I don't know if we are told how long David lived, but it was not over 100, I am pretty sure. We are told he reigned in Israel for 40 years; and we know he spent a number of years running from Saul, tho if we are told just how long, I don't know about it. We know he was a young man when anointed by Samuel, tho it doesn't say how young. My *guess* would be David was over 70 but less than 100 when he died. For a list of the generations between David and Jesus you can read over the first chapter of Matthew.

My understanding of the second law of Thermodynamics is (I admit) very simple - things left to themselves tend to fall apart and break down. Up keep is necessary to keep anything from deteriorating. I can look in the mirror in the morning and see this law at play. Build a house and let it sit for a few decades, unlived in and untouched. It will need repair. The Earth does indeed have a source of "maintence" if you will. But even so, life on the planet shows no signs of evolving Up to more complicated forms - and never has.  Plants and Animals become extinct, or adapt to change; but you don't have them evolving into something else entirely.

Evolution does of corse take place - but in a horazonal line - one bird may evolve to have a longer beak than its neighbors on the next Island over - the moths living by the power plant may be much darker than the same type moths living in a protected woodland a hundred miles away. This is observable and often noted.
What has not been observed is one kind of creature becoming another kind of creature. Man and Ape co-exist. Fish, birds, reptiles and amebas all co-exist. They do indeed have a similarity of design - but they are still each obviously not the other. Plant and Animal species have come and gone and that is a fact - but there is no evidence that one ever became the other.

Evolutionist are beginning to back peddle - and now teach that "evolution" is a process of random chance "useful" mutations. Never mind the fact that mutations are normally not useful and are in fact detrimental to the integrity of the creature - this is how we came to have such diversity of life on the planet. And if I find that more implausible than intelligent design, I am stupid. OK. Thats seldome been in doubt.

// I don't see a big difference between the radicals of Islam or Japan and those of Roman times. In all cases, religion had a role in unifying them against their respective oppressors. In all cases, the 'gospel' for which they sacrificed their lives was one of rebellion or resistance against a ruler or invader. //

But the disciples were not revolutionaries. Neither was the Messiah. Many of the Jews turned away from Him when they figured this out. They were looking for the conquering Lion of Judah; and instead got the Suffering Lamb of God. The Lion of Judah, they will get next time.

As for unicorns and such like - I do a little doubt such a beast is living today. But, way back when? Why not? There is nothing especially fantastic about the notion of a unicorn.

The sprit world, I do believe in. But, Maybe I'm psychotic after all. They say that you never know when your insane.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2005, 08:53:00 PM »
Greg, it occered to me you might enjoy the following web site:

http://www.darklightimagery.net/

It belongs to a cousin of mine who also very much admires Carl Sagan. So much so, his first born is named Sagan.
Anyway - it is a really beautiful web site and you might enjoy it.

Anyone might.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2005, 09:20:00 PM »
Thanks!  Looking right now.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »
Facinating!

Your cousin is a talented Photographer.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »
as to your post above....

{{{{{{{{SIGH}}}}}}}}

You totally don't understand Evolution or the concepts I have left with you, and , I don't even know where to start without getting very circular in my responses, so I won't.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »
maybe I will just cut and paste essays for you to read..

Here is one that should illicit some thought.

http://www.cosmoetica.com/B125-DES76.htm

Just corrected the above link.

I also read this essay that attempts to illustrate  the historocity of Jesus  by a professor of philosophy.

http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcrai ... over2.html

contained herein are also many pro-christian essays. I have read most of them. I think this is an example of a more intellectual representative from the christian camp, so I present it here for examination as compared to a critical review of the evidence.

While Both are persuasive in methodology and are good writers,  Notice the difference in the two methods of the writers.

The first essay provides evidence and actual text for review and looks at alternate and likely explanations and even examines claims for the other side.  The second one hangs on weak presuppositions and declares the gospels "historically accurate" based on 'there wasn't enough time for legend to establish itself'.

Further is goes on to assume the gospels as historical accurate without critically examining this claim..for example he could have examined this claim by  looking at passages criticised for being  historically inaccurate or contradictory (of which there are many examples) and explaining why the critics are wrong. He does no such thing.

Then he marches out time worn "evidence" such as Joseph Flavious, and this supposed evidence when actually studied is actually a serious problem even if it is a genuine entry into the text by Flavious. Worse, it been declared a forgery for many many years due to serious issues with writing style and the fact that it was obviously written by a christian. Flavious was not!.

He also alludes to other historians without mentioning the weakness and controversery surrounding these reference nor the fact that none of them were contemporaneus.

His final thesis is to shift the burden of evidence away from the document and onto the reader. This is  an amateur debator's trick and for a doctor of philosophy to do this is so intellectually dishonest, one must bring his motives into question. Yet, it is done time and time again in the world of the credulous.

This is the  difference between critical thinking and wishfull thinking, and I am afraid many people would read the second essay and assume it is a logical conclusion and base this on convincing writing style, authority of the author, and the positive conclusion reached.

It is not. It is a conclusion based on a predetermined closely held dogma, not examination of the available evidence, and the conclusion is derived by avoiding the evidence, omitting key points, marching out controversial references without alerting the reader to such, and shifting the burden of proof.  

We are stuck basically with one the two mind sets illustrated in both the articles presented here. Examination of evidence, or drawing a conclusion and then trying to make the evidence fit.

food for thought.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »
Greg - I'd be happy to read them - but if you like, feel free to email me with them.

Thanks for the Kudos to my cousin. I think he's brilliant - but I'm partial.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #189 on: May 14, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »
just hit the links above my dear lady...

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #190 on: May 14, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »
Dear Good Sir - I have done so.

:wink:

Your Turn.

http://www.apologeticsinfo.org/papers/t ... bible.html

(Some Quotes)

Just about anyone can assert just about anything, but this does not constitute proof of the claim. Proving it is another matter. For instance, just about anyone can file a lawsuit, but proving their case is a different issue. So it is with this charge. {Bible's Historical inaccuracy}
First, what does archaeological research have to tell us relevant to our concern?4 How does the Bible match-up with secular history and facts? Montgomery writes:

Far from avoiding contact with secular history, the New Testament is replete with explicit references to secular personages, places and events. Unlike typical sacred literature, myth, and fairytale ("once upon a time ..."), the gospel story begins when "there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed....

Modern archaeological research has confirmed again and again the reliability of New Testament geography, chronology, and general history....To take but a single striking example: after the rise of liberal biblical criticism, doubt was expressed as to the historicity of Pontius Pilate, since he is mentioned even by pagan historians only in connection with Jesus' death. Then in 1961 came the discovery at Caesarea of the now famous "Pilate inscription," definitely showing that, as usual, the New Testament writers were engaged in accurate historiography.

{Apostil's/Disciple's tetstimony}  These individuals were trustworthy witnesses, honest men who sacrificed much, often their very lives for the beliefs. They had no reason to lie or suffer or die for what they knew to be untrue, nothing to gain everything to lose. They had every reason to rethink or recant their position, particularly because not only was the early Church marked for persecution, but often especially the leaders. To say the least, it was costly to be a disciple of Christ.

Second, certainly in the case of the New Testament, since most of it was written and circulating at such an early date (relative to the events recorded) there was no time for the accrual of myth or legend or "editing" by the early Church.10

John W. Montgomery points out based on the objective evidence--manuscript and other evidences--that "the time interval between the writing of the New Testament documents as we have them and the events of Jesus' life which they record is too brief to allow for communal redaction ["editing" or tampering with] by the Church."11

After a through examination and application of the three standard historiographical and literary tests for discerning the authenticity and trustworthiness of an alleged ancient document Montgomery concludes: "On the basis, then, of powerful bibliographic, internal, and external evidence, competent historical scholarship must regard the New Testament documents as deriving from the first century and as reflecting primary-source testimony concerning the person and claims of Jesus...."12

The scholar Sir Frederic G. Kenyon, who served as the director and principal librarian of the British Museum, stated based upon the existing Greek manuscripts of the New Testament:

he interval then between the dates of original composition and the earliest extant evidence becomes so small as to be in fact negligible, and the last foundation for any doubt that the Scriptures have come down to us substantially as they were written has now been removed. Both the authenticity and the general integrity of the books of the New Testament may be regarded as finally established.13

http://www.xenos.org/classes/papers/doubt.htm

(Some Quotes)

Approaching the Bible
In order to examine the evidence for the resurrection we must place ourselves in the historical situation. The events surrounding the life and death of Christ didn't occur at a place where we can gain no knowledge of them. Rather, they occurred in history, on earth, and were recorded by men who witnessed the events.

When we approach an ancient document such as the Bible or another ancient document such as Tacitus' History of Rome (115 A.D.) we must come to the text with an understanding attitude. This does not mean that we assume the text to be 100 per cent true. But we need to be able to ask the right questions. In the first century much less writing took place than does in our time. Many were illiterate, few could read, much less write, and paper or parchment (leather) to write on was expensive. The incentive to fabricate was not as it is today. In other words, The National Enquirer, could never have been published at this time. A high regard was given to writing and the luxury to create fictional material was virtually non-existent, for instance there was no such thing as a novel or a newspaper, although there were artistic writings such as poetry. The Bible however, is a much different kind of literature. It was not written as a poem or story, although it also contains poetry. It was for the most part written as history and is intended to communicate truth throughout.

The gospel of Luke begins:

Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word [Paul, Peter, etc] have handed them down to us, it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; so that you might know the exact truth about the things you have been taught. (Lk 1:1-4)

Luke was not an apostle, he was however the companion of Paul and probably dictated some of his letters. Luke tells us that he is writing in consecutive order because the other gospels, Matthew, Mark and John, are written more by topic than chronologically.

How do we know anything historically? There is no "scientific" proof that Lincoln was the president. We cannot recreate him in a laboratory or bring him back to life. We cannot reproduce the experiment. We cannot calculate an equation that tells us that he was. But we can assert with a high degree of probability that Lincoln was indeed our president and was assassinated in 1865. We do this by appealing to historical evidence. Many people saw Lincoln. We have some of his writings and even his picture, not to mention his likeness on our pennies. But none of this "proves", in a scientific sense, that Lincoln ever lived or was the president.

The kind of evidence used in historical research is the same kind as that used in a court of law. In a courtroom case certain kinds of evidences are appealed to in order to determine what exactly happened, eyewitnesses are questioned, motives are examined, and physical evidence is scrutinized such as fingerprints or journal writings.

It is the same kind of evidence that we appeal to in order to establish Christ's life, death, and resurrection. Granted, the evidence is not as great as that for Lincoln, nor as recent. But it is better evidence than we have that Plato ever lived, or Homer, or many historical figures that we take for granted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Historical Evidence Outside of the Bible
Often people are uncertain about the existence of Christ, but few scholars would disagree that a man named Jesus lived roughly between 2 BC and about 33 AD. History documents that this man was not a myth but a real person and the historical evidence for this is excellent. For instance, the Roman historian Tacitus, writing in about 115 A.D., records the events surrounding Emperor Nero in July of A.D. 64. After the fire that destroyed much of Rome, Nero was blamed for being responsible:

Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus [Christ], from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilate, and a most mischievous superstition [Christ's resurrection] thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their center and become popular. (Bettenson, p. 2)

In about 112 A.D. the Roman governor of what is now northern Turkey wrote to Emperor Trajan regarding the Christians in his district:

"I was never present at any trial of Christians; therefore I do not know what are the customary penalties or investigations, and what limits are observed. . . whether those who recant should be pardoned. . . whether the name itself, even if innocent of crime, should be punished, or only the crimes attaching to that name. . . . Meanwhile, this is the course that I have adopted in the case of those brought before me as Christians. I ask them if they are Christians. If they admit it I repeat the question a second and a third time, threatening capital punishment; if they persist I sentence them to death. For I do not doubt that, whatever kind of crime it may be to which they have confessed, their pertinacity and inflexible obstinacy should certainly be punished. . . the very fact of my dealing with the question led to a wider spread of the charge, and a great variety of cases were brought before me. An anonymous pamphlet was issued, containing many names. All who denied that they were or had been Christians I considered should be discharged, because they called upon the gods at my dictation and did reverence. . .and especially because they cursed Christ, a thing which it is said, genuine Christians cannot be induced to do." (Bettenson, p. 3)

These passages indicate that Christianity was wide spread in the Roman empire within 80 years of Christ's death. Again, these are eyewitness accounts, not historians looking back years later.

The popular historian Will Durant, himself not a Christian, wrote concerning Christ's historical validity, "The denial of that existence seems never to have occurred even to the bitterest gentile or Jewish opponents of nascent Christianity" (Durant, The Story of Civilization, vol. 3, p. 555). And again, "That a few simple men should in one generation have invented so powerful and appealing a personality, so lofty an ethic and so inspiring a vision of human brotherhood, would be a miracle far more incredible than any recorded in the Gospels" (Ibid., p. 557).

It is a substantial thing that an historian who spends his life considering historical facts should affirm the reality of Christ's existence as well as the rapid growth of the early movement.

The Jewish historian Josephus,writing for the Roman government in the 70's A.D. records some incidental things regarding Christ and the church. He confirms that John the Baptist died at the hand of Herod (this same incident is recorded in the gospels) as well as the death of, "The brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James. . . he delivered them to be stoned" (Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, Book XVIII, ch. V, p. 20; Book XX, ch. IX, p. 140 ). Again we have sources external to the Bible that demonstrate the historical reliability of the text. Josephus, who was probably alive during the time of Christ, is attesting to the reality of his existence. What this also tells us is that within 40 years of Christ's death, the knowledge of who he was was widespread enough that Josephus could reference him and expect his readers to know exactly who he was talking about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Accuracy of the Biblical Records
The question often arises when discussing the biblical records, "How can a document that has been copied over and over possibly be reliable? Everyone knows there are tons of errors in it." While it is true that the documents have been copied many times, we often have misconceptions about how they were transmitted. All ancient documents were copied by hand before the advent of the printing press in the 16th century. Great care was exercised in reproducing these manuscripts. When we think of copying manuscripts we often assume that one copy was made and then another from that and another from that and so on, each replacing the copy it was reproduced from. This is not how manuscripts copying worked. Copyists were usually working from one or two documents that were very old. They would make many copies of their source copy, all the while preserving their source and comparing the copies they have made.

Josephus tells how the Jews copied the Old Testament. "We have given practical proof of our reverence for our own Scriptures. For although such long ages have now passed, no one has ventured either to add, or to remove, or to alter a syllable; and it is an instinct with every Jew, from the day of his birth, to regard them as the decrees of God, to abide by them, and, if need be, cheerfully to die for them" (Against Apion, Book I, sec., 8, p. 158). Josephus statement is no exaggeration. The Jewish copyists knew exactly how many letters where in every line of every book and how many times each word occurred in each book. This enabled them to check for errors (Shelly, Prepare to Answer, p. 133). The Jews believed that adding any mistake to the Scriptures would be punishable by Hell. This is not like the modern secretary who has many letters to type and must work hard to keep their job, and consequently feels that mistakes are inevitable. Great care is exercised with scriptures when someone holds a conviction such as this.

But even with the great amount of care exercised in copying, errors have crept into the manuscripts. No one questions that spelling errors, misplaced letters, and word omissions have occurred. What is not true is that these errors have gradually built up over time so that our copies look nothing like the originals. This view was commonly held until recently.

In 1947 the accuracy of these documents was confirmed by the Dead Sea Scrolls. These scrolls were found in caves in the dessert near the Dead Sea by a shepherd boy. Before the discovery of these scrolls, the earliest Old Testament manuscripts we had were from about 980 A.D. The manuscripts discovered in the caves dated from 250 B.C. to shortly after the time of Christ. In careful comparison of the manuscripts it was confirmed that the copies we had were almost precisely the same as those which date over 1000 years earlier. Old Testament scholar Gleason Archer said that even though there is such a difference in dates of the manuscripts, "they proved to be word for word identical with our standard Hebrew Bible in more that 95 per cent of the text. The 5 per cent of variation consisted chiefly of obvious slips of the pen and variations in spelling." No other historical literature has been so carefully preserved and historically confirmed.

When we come to the New Testament we see a similar phenomenon. There are over 5,000 Greek New Testament manuscripts in existence. This is by far more than any other historical documents, which usually have maybe a dozen copies from very late dates. The New Testament manuscripts are many and old and they are spread over a wide geographical area. What this enables the New Testament historian to do is collect manuscripts from Jerusalem and Egypt and Syria and other places and compare them for variations. And variations do exist, but as with the Old Testament they are relatively few and rarely important to the meaning of the text. What these manuscripts demonstrate is that different families of texts existed very early that were copied from the original or good copies of the original. This allows us to trace the manuscripts back to the source as one would follow the branches of a tree to get to the trunk. Aside from the manuscripts themselves, "virtually the entire New Testament could be reproduced from citations contained in the works of the early church fathers. There are some thirty-two thousand citations in the writings of the Fathers prior to the Council of Nicea (325)" (Moreland, Scaling the Secular City, p. 136).

Historical Reliability
There is one more important feature of the Bible to examine before we move to the evidence of Christ's resurrection, that is their historical reliability. Unfortunately I cannot go into the history of this topic. Many critics have challenged the historical accuracy of the Bible and have been proved wrong. Let me provide one example. Historians questioned the accuracy of the accounts surrounded Pontius Pilate's crucifixion of Jesus. Pilate found nothing wrong with him and was reluctant to crucify an innocent man. The Jews put pressure on Pilate saying that if you refuse this "you are no friend of Caesar" (John 19:12). At which point Pilate gave in to the Jews. This did not fit any historical records we had of Pilate who was a cruel and dominating man, not likely to give in to a group of Jews whom he hated. Many believed that this account was historically inaccurate because of the way in which it portrayed Pilate.

Later it was discovered that Pilate had been appointed by a man named Sejanus who was plotting to overthrow Caesar. Sejanus was executed along with many of his appointees (Delashmutt, Sejanus, p. 55, 56). What this demonstrated was that Pilate was in no position to get in trouble with Rome. The Jews had him in a tight place. If word returned to Rome that Jerusalem was in rebellion, Pilate would be the first to go. The gospel account was confirmed as accurate.

Many facts recorded in the Bible have been challenged with the same result, later archeology confirms the reliability of the biblical records down to the smallest detail. A respected Jewish archaeologist has claimed that, "It may be stated categorically that no archaeological discovery has ever controverted a biblical reference" (Shelly, p. 103). This is a strong statement for any archaeologist to make because if it were not true, he would quickly be condemned in his own field.

The conclusion that one draws from this material is that the Bible is a reliable historical document. Its accuracy has been proved numerous times. Its historical inaccuracy has never been demonstrated. So that when we approach the Bible, we do so with a good amount of confidence that what it records actually happened. If this is true, then we need to come to terms about what the Bible claims. We cannot dismiss it out of hand because we were not there, regardless of the difficulty of what is said.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #191 on: May 14, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »
We have been over and over this apologetic argument, one which holds no water at all.

This argument that because the bible lists actual places and events, it is therefore a valid historical document. This author goes one step further into absurdity and says since it isn't written in similar writing style to fairy tale and myth than this  somehow validates that it is historical and accurate.

Please buzzkill, you are circulating the same argument over and over. This is flawed logic at its core and is easy dispensed with. These arguments are written for the weak of mind.

Using that flawed logic, The mormon bible is also a valid historical document, because it also lists veriviable places, times and events. Therefore you must accept it in its entirety.

And what of the Koran, it lists many actual people, places, times and events. Therefore using this logic, we must accept this document as historically accurate as well.

But Wait!  They all three conflict each other. They can't all be right, and all be historicaly accurate. They are mutually exclusive books.

Very simply and quickly, this entire idea is dismissed out of hand.

I really am tiring of making this point, Buzzkill.

[[[[[[[[[[[sigh]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

The thesis you sight above is so replete with logical errors that it becomes a parody of itself.

How about this statement:

"Second, certainly in the case of the New Testament, since most of it was written and circulating at such an early date (relative to the events recorded) there was no time for the accrual of myth or legend or "editing" by the early Church."

THE NEW TESTAMENT WAS WRITTEN YEARS AND YEARS AFTER THE SUPPOSED JESUS EVENT.

This same fallicious argument could be used for the book of Mormon, except the Book of mormon was written immediately, thereby by this silly notion,The Book of Mormon demands more validation from you then the bible. As well, Rev Sun Moon wrote by his own hand during his own life that he was the incarnate son of god. Therefore, he is.  Idiocy I say!!!!!

and finally, the bastion of the apologetic shows up...special pleading...

"The Bible however, is a much different kind of literature. It was not written as a poem or story, although it also contains poetry. It was for the most part written as history and is intended to communicate truth throughout. "

Er, no, no and no. It was not written to convey history, it was written to convey religion and it CONTRADICTS ITSELF ON ITS OWN HISTROCITY OVER AND OVER.

Lets stop recirculating the same argument over and over please.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #192 on: May 14, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »
This conclusive statement says it all...

The conclusion that one draws from this material is that the Bible is a reliable historical document. Its accuracy has been proved numerous times. Its historical inaccuracy has never been demonstrated.

Either the author is a fool or a liar, or both. The bible as a historical document is easily refuted and this fact is indisputable.  The bible cannot even agree on important events such as the ascention, it contradicts itself over and over on the historicity of these important biblical events.  The bible is one of the most contradictory books that has ever existed.  

But you already know that Buzzkill, because it has been brought to your attention repeatedly in this very thread, but not just by me but by several anon authors, Nithalantic and our Wiccan. You have refused to critically review this. Sticking your fingers in your ears and then repeating this nonsense does not validate it one iota.

Please don't march this argument out again in this thread unless you are willing to address the contradictions in the bible already brought to your attention as early as page 4 or 5.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #193 on: May 14, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »
I thought the argument, for now, was weather or not such a person as Jesus ever lived - And the arguments given, were as evidence that He did indeed walk the dusty roads of Judea.
I think they are good sound arguments.

I also think you ought to read your own apologist with a more critical eye.

You read that the Biblical NT writing were writen Long long after that fact and (it seems) you are happy to assume This must be true.

Yes, there are arguments given, but I find them at least as faulty as you find mine - at the very least.

Cayo is right ya know - we each think the other is spouting biased bunk.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #194 on: May 14, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »
I have no "apolegetic" author, Buzzkill..because I have a lack of belief, therefore have no one Defending said belief. You don't understand the term "apologetic".

I presented the author's thesis on the lack of historic Jeasus  and haven't declared my support for it in its entirety only said it should illicit some thought and then compared the way he critically reviewed the evidence as compared to the apologetics method, making a point on the lack of critical examination in the apologetic's method.

[[[[[[[[[[[sigh]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

You just don't understand these arguments and terms, do you?

And you again force me on the merry go round of circular argument.

YES, the question is "Did Jesus walk the Earth" that was being addressed by my link.

YES, your response was to counter the above argument with claims That bible is historically accurate thereby the document itself is evidence of jesus.

NO, that argument is not sound as the inaccuracy of history as depicted in the bible is blatant and obvious, and has been quoted to you in this very thread and unanswered. You need to expound on this by showing the examples of historic inaccuracy are error ridden or Concede the point and pick another argument or just declare "faith".

Now, Buzzkill, saying "I found your arguments faulty" and then stopping there is  ::bangin::

It is a nothing argument

Saying I am wrong about when the gospels were written is not enough, you have to provide evidence I am wrong or just declare you are making it up. You have not.

Who supports this position, that the gospels were written in the second half of the first century long after Jesus' death?

Virtually all the major bible scholars, including The entire body of apologetics you site, including the link you posted above. Since you declare said Link "good arguments" for your history assertion, but fail to realize your link doesn't support your contention, then I can only assume you didn't read your own link or are not able to  analyse your authors' position.

Jeeus, Buzzkill, you appear to be Incapable of carrying this conversation forward. This is why I stopped before, and why again I declare this conversation over.

You are a nice lady, but intellectual discourse, shall we say, is not your cup of tea.