Author Topic: A cult?  (Read 39686 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2005, 08:11:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 16:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"greg, do you even believe in Jesus as a historical figure?  You know, a real person that truly lived about 2000 years ago?"

Nope.

Evidence supports the entire christian religion as a compilation of ancient myths. Further, the christ/Jesus myth has ancient roots that predate the new testament.

question for you..do you ever actually read what I write? If not, why not? Have you looked at the links I have provided? Do you agree or disagree? Do you have specific comments? Are the links good points or total fabrication? Do you believe "all atheists are high criminals?

Is this a discussion, or do you just occasionally throw some dogma at me and hope it sticks?

Here I go again..even tho this feels like a one sided brain drain, I will play;  Christianity appears to be an amalgamation of Pagan myths that the christians adopted to assimilate the conquered into. Since I don't subscribe to dogma,  this is just a theory of mine based on all information I have gleaned to date, including reading the bible several times cover to cover and also studying individual chapters in todo. However, this theory of mine is subject to change with new information. Provide me with some evidence that tends to disprove my theory,and thank you in advance for the intellectual discourse.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2005, 08:15:00 PM »
I have met lots of people that do not believe that Jesus is the Christ, but I can't say that I have ever met anyone that believes he never even existed as a man.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
A cult?
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2005, 08:19:00 PM »
Actually, Roman archives are supposed to support the story of a rebellion in the region surrounding Jeruselem; the peasants broke ranks w/ the religious leaders. And there was this one guy that everyone was talking about, much like al-Zarqawi. In reality, there were probably a good many young rebels, unsatisfied w/ their lot in life, early adopters of the new Roman civilization (litteracy, commerce and other nifty human tricks) and of the personality type to step right into whatever image of a leader the people were willing to provide for him.  

I think there really was a single dude like that, but he wasn't the only one. He was just the one most mentioned in years to come and probably attributed w/ the acts and legends of a lot of different guys. Sort of an amalgam.

I think the Jesus Christ described in the Christian bible is no more or less real than Robin Hood.

What is a committee?  A group of the unwilling, picked from the unfit, to do the unnecessary.    
-- Richard Harkness, The New York Times, 1960

Straight, Sarasota
   10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
return undef() if /coercion/i;
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2005, 08:28:00 PM »
Do believe Plato and Aristotle were actual people that lived and breathed on the earth?  If so, why? What evidence did it take to convince you of that?  typing this sounds harsh, but i do not mean it to be.  I am just trying to put more than one question in a post.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
A cult?
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »
Plato and Aristotle wrote books which still exist. They held office and were known to other litterate members of their community, who metioned them in their own writings. Besides, it's not hard to believe in a scientist and a teacher who do ordinary things extrodinarily well. It is hard to believe in a character who is suspiciously like something out of the local folk lore and who's always going around doing things that are patently impossible.

So Plato and Aristotle are pretty easy to swollow. This other character, well we like Paul Bunyan and Davie Crocket. And there may even have been people by those names. But do we have to believe that the one was 20 feet tall and the other a time traveler?

Have you considered that system of holy lies and pious frauds that has raged and triumphed for 1500 years.
--John Adams, U.S. President

Straight, Sarasota
   10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
return undef() if /coercion/i;
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »
Would you be open to reviewing historical evidence, not supplied by a religious person, but by scientists and historians, that supported the fact that Jesus was a real man that walked the earth, had a following and was crucified?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 16:56:00, BuzzKill wrote:

"Responding to this:

Post URL: http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... 130#102324
  For example: the 22ed Psalm. This was written by David, in response to his own problems and troubles. However, in it, he gives us the lament of the Messiah, as He suffers for our sakes; and describes the torments of crucifixion perfectly; long, long before the Romans put the practice into use. He even describes the Roman solders diving up His clothes; gambling for His robe.

I feel this is ample evidence. This, is all the proof I need.

Thanks for sharing your story. Buzzkill,    You can believe in spirits and demons , ghosts and gods and angels all you want, that is your perogative, but to ask others to believe more than testimony is usually required.

And as far as your prophecy quote goes, with all due respect Buzzkill, here you go again. This passage describes all of Paul's fears, including being killed by Bears, stabbed by a sword,the Lions mouth, the horn of the UNICORN, and yes, of course, nailed to a cross. Criminals and heretics were routinely nailed to crosses. Just because someone from the old testament fears this, IT IS NOT  A PROPHECY FOR JESUS. In fact, it speaks of a time when all would know this god,  NEVER ONCE MENTIONING THE SON OF GOD. In addition, it talks of Fearing god, not a merciful god. This prophecy FAILS and again is  backward looking.

Where does it say Jesus or the son of god will be in 400 years hung from a cross? The answer is it doesn't. This isn't prophecy, this is again Wishfull thinking. READ THE PASSAGE IN CONTEXT and stop trying to fit a square into a circle.

Further, PROVIDE SOME EVIDENCE OF UNICORNS EXISTING.  Is there a fossil record?

Oh my, it never ends.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 17:40:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Would you be open to reviewing historical evidence, not supplied by a religious person, but by scientists and historians, that supported the fact that Jesus was a real man that walked the earth, had a following and was crucified?"

Can you not read? I SAID BRING IT. First, keep in mind that even proving he existed does not prove he is supernatural, any more than proving Joseph Smith existed proves he is a prophet of god. Second, I am going to do you a favor , Don't, I repeat, Don't, fall into the trap of quoting these sources.

NON-CHRISTIAN SOURCES

Virtually all other claims of Jesus come from sources outside of Christian writings. Devastating to the claims of Christians, however, comes from the fact that all of these accounts come from authors who lived after the alleged life of Jesus. Since they did not live during the time of the hypothetical Jesus, none of their accounts serve as eyewitness evidence.

Josephus Flavius, the Jewish historian, lived as the earliest non-Christian who mentions a Jesus. Although many scholars think that Josephus' short accounts of Jesus (in Antiquities) came from interpolations perpetrated by a later Church father (most likely, Eusebius), Josephus got born in 37 C.E., after the alleged crucifixion of Jesus, and wrote Antiquities in 93 C.E. after the first gospels got written. Therefore, even if his accounts about Jesus came from his hand, his information could only serve as hearsay.

Pliny the Younger, a Roman official, got born in 62 C.E. His letter about the Christians only shows that he got his information from Christian believers themselves. Regardless, his birth date puts him out of the range of eyewitness accounts.

Tacitus, the Roman historian's birth year at 64 C.E., puts him well after the alleged life of Jesus. He gives a brief mention of a "Christus" in his Annals (Book XV, Sec. 44), which got written around 109 C.E. He gives no source for his material. Although there occur many disputes as to the authenticity of Tacitus' mention of Jesus, the very fact that his birth happend after the alleged Jesus and wrote the Annals during the formation of Christianity, it can only provide us with hearsay accounts.

Suetonius, a Roman historian, born in 69 C.E. who mentions a "Chrestus," a common name. Apologists assume that "Chrestus" means "Christ." But even if Seutonius had meant "Christ," it still says nothing about an earthly Jesus. Just like all the others, Suetonius birth occurred after the purported Jesus. Again, only hearsay.

Talmud: Amazingly some Christians use brief portions of the Talmud, (a collection of Jewish civil a religious law, including commentaries on the Torah), as evidence for Jesus. They claim that Yeshu (a common name in Jewish literature) in the Talmud refers to Jesus. However, this Jesus, according to Gerald Massey actually depicts a disciple of Jehoshua Ben-Perachia at least a century before the alleged Christian Jesus. [Massey] Regardless of how one interprets this, the Palestinian Talmud got written between the 3rd and 5th century C.E., and the Babylonian Talmud between the 3rd and 6th century C.E., at least two centuries after the alleged crucifixion! At best it can only serve as controversial Christian and pagan legend; it cannot possibly serve as evidence for a historical Jesus.

The above sources get quoted the most as "evidence" for Jesus by Christians. All other sources (Christian and non-Christian), some of which include: Mara Bar-Serapion (cira 73 C.E.), Ignatius (50 - 98? C.E.), Polycarp (69 - 155 C.E.), Clement of Rome (? - cira 160 C.E.), Justin Martyr (100 - 165 C.E.), Lucian (cira 125 - 180 C.E.), Tertullian (160 - ? C.E.), Clement of Alexandria (? - 215 C.E.), Origen (185 - 232 C.E.), Hippolytus (? - 236 C.E.), and Cyprian (? - 254 C.E.). All these people got born well after the alleged death of Jesus. Not one of them provides an eyewitness account, all of them simply spout hearsay.

As you can see, apologist Christians embarrass themselves when they unwittingly or deceptively violate the rules of historiography by using after-the-event writings as evidence for the event itself. Not one of these writers gives a source or backs up his claims with evidential material about Jesus. Although we can provide numerous reasons why the Christian and non-Christian sources prove spurious, and argue endlessly about them, we can cut to the chase by simply looking at the dates of the documents and the birth dates of the authors. It doesn't matter what these people wrote about Jesus, an author who writes after the alleged happening and gives no detectable sources for his material can only give example of hearsay. All of the post writings about Jesus could easily have come from the beliefs and stories from Christian believers themselves

(the above is a cut and paste, not my words.)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »
I can't find unicorns in my Bible. Could you please give me the book, chapter and verse?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 17:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Do believe Plato and Aristotle were actual people that lived and breathed on the earth?  If so, why? What evidence did it take to convince you of that?  typing this sounds harsh, but i do not mean it to be.  I am just trying to put more than one question in a post."

Do I think they existed? Yes. There are books they wrote. There are independent corroborations they existed during their lifetime by non partial sources.  There are no Supernatural claims like "they rose from the dead" and "they were born of a virgin". there are other reasons that would lead me to believe they existed.

However, that being said, if you have some NEW information that tends to discredit that, I am willing to change my thought on this. Are you willing to critically examine whether Jesus existed or not?

And no, it doesn't sound harsh. In fact, it is a very old apologetics argument.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 17:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I can't find unicorns in my Bible. Could you please give me the book, chapter and verse?"

Anon, in all due respect, you aren't reading very well. I was responding to a direct passage given to me by Buzzkill...Psalm 22.

Also, use a non apologetic version of the bible..try the King James Version. Some of these new bibles are editing out the FUN  mean evil stuff.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »
ahh, the work I do for you christians

Unicorns

Job 39:9-12

Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib

Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?

Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?

Deuteronomy 33:17

His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

Numbers 24

God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.

Isaiah 34:7

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

and of course, the aforementions Psalm 22. There are posibly more. The bible also contains a race of giants, the offspring of angels sneaking down to have sex with women!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »
I appreciate the respect given.  My Bible says bulls and wild oxen.  I first went to Psalm 22.  I will check other translations.  Thanks

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the references.  I will check other translations.  There really is no need to be sarcastic or belittling.  I am impressed with your's and Buzz's knowledge, but Buzz's grace.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
A cult?
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 17:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I have met lots of people that do not believe that Jesus is the Christ, but I can't say that I have ever met anyone that believes he never even existed as a man.  "

Im sure you have. Most well read non-believers don't engage the ill informed in debate on these matters. All it does is get you hated.

But this is the internet!!! In person, people would be yelling, crying, praying, and locking their doors.

Long live the internet.