Author Topic: ABC Brat Camp  (Read 37258 times)

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »
Liger, same thing was true of Straight. I never knew there were so many adopted kids till I went there. I don't really understand why, except maybe the Christmas puppy syndrome; it takes the same mentality to ship a kid off like this as it does to purchase one in the first place. Also, oddly, an awful lot of girls w/ scoliosis. I can remember 3 or 4 offhand out of, what, a couple hundred who went through during that two years. No clue as to why that might be.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2005, 03:04:00 AM »
I've been collecting as much hard data on all the program issues. I'm wondering how you found out there was an increase in Redcliffe enrollment after British airing. I'd like to track the impact of these shows and the book by Dave Marcus. I'm still horrified by ongoing impact of that book.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2005, 05:08:00 AM »
On 2005-07-21 15:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

Guess again Anon.  Brat Camp has done more to hurt the image of wilderness therapy than any aging hippie or drug infested permissive parent (as you call them) could ever do.

Why?

Because it has opened Pandora's Box.  

Millions of people are now seeing what happens to the children of "troubled" parents.  They end up on television being exploited by their own parents and an industry that thrives on treating adolescence as an epidemic.

Barbe

TAUSA

"

I wish I could share your optimism.  This show doesn't have its own forum but the response on the ABC Family message board for the original Brat Camp at RedCliff Ascent was overwhelmingly supportive.  There were a few negative posts but even when people who had actually been there told their stories people just said they were lying and refused to believe that a TV company would sink to such depths.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2005, 06:47:00 AM »
On 2005-07-22 00:04:00, hurleygurley wrote:

"I've been collecting as much hard data on all the program issues. I'm wondering how you found out there was an increase in Redcliffe enrollment after British airing. I'd like to track the impact of these shows and the book by Dave Marcus. I'm still horrified by ongoing impact of that book."

A parent on the ABC Brat Camp forum said she tried to get her child into RedCliff Ascent but couldn't due to a six-month waiting list because the show had just been aired in Britain.  I am not sure if the post is still there.  They seem to be deleted after a while.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2005, 06:56:00 AM »
I'm still horrified by ongoing impact of that book

Why not write a review on Amazon giving an alternative point of view?  Straight survivors have done it with Miller Newton's books.  And why stop at Amazon?  Other people sell books online too, like Barnes and Noble.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2005, 09:19:00 AM »
The Barbe chick from TAUSA should grow up and get real.

It's one thing to think that it's a mistake for parents to be impressed by Brat Camp.

It's quite another to try and pretend that the response to it has been anything but overwhelmingly positive----as she lamely tries to say a few posts back

First thing anyone who wants to change a situation has to do is to FACE THE FACTS: that includes parents with a kid in trouble or a TAUSA-type who is now faced with a social phenomenon that looks likely to swamp her small anti-program boat.

The funniest part of Barbe's post was the bit about parent now being made aware that kids in programs will end up on TV!!!

Oh c'mon Barbe--you are really grasping at straws aren't you? People are not as stupid as you evidently think---they will realize that in this SPECIFIC case the parents for whatever reason agreed to have their kids'program televised.

Nobody with half a brain is going to think that wilderness programs are now going to automatically be televised without specific parental consent.
Yeh the Marcus book and now Brat Camp... wilderness and therapeutic programs are definitely going mainstream---and while they may not be portrayed as perfect (they shouldn't be)...it's going to be damned hard for Barbe and company to keep up the black and white demonizing--- and not come off looking like rabid, unreasonable---and irrelevant

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2005, 09:43:00 AM »
I'm not in the mood troll so... SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! Of course the parents are stupid, because the keep sending their kids to places like this where they don't get a education. and they get abused. But they think its ok because parents are brainwashed as much as kids... but continuing on...

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
I know for a fact that other programs have groups that they record.

You people are a bunch of hypocrites, calling us close minded and hateful, while you are a bunch of right suppressing Nazis on Steroids....
Bastards...Hypocrites... liars!!! :evil:  :evil:

SHUT THE FUCK UP BEFORE I DECIDE ITS WORTH THE FUCKING EFFORT TO HURT YOUR FAMILY.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2005, 11:25:00 AM »
On 2005-07-22 06:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The Barbe chick from TAUSA should grow up and get real.

It's one thing to think that it's a mistake for parents to be impressed by Brat Camp.

It's quite another to try and pretend that the response to it has been anything but overwhelmingly positive----as she lamely tries to say a few posts back

First thing anyone who wants to change a situation has to do is to FACE THE FACTS: that includes parents with a kid in trouble or a TAUSA-type who is now faced with a social phenomenon that looks likely to swamp her small anti-program boat.

The funniest part of Barbe's post was the bit about parent now being made aware that kids in programs will end up on TV!!!

Oh c'mon Barbe--you are really grasping at straws aren't you? People are not as stupid as you evidently think---they will realize that in this SPECIFIC case the parents for whatever reason agreed to have their kids'program televised.

Nobody with half a brain is going to think that wilderness programs are now going to automatically be televised without specific parental consent.

Yeh the Marcus book and now Brat Camp... wilderness and therapeutic programs are definitely going mainstream---and while they may not be portrayed as perfect (they shouldn't be)...it's going to be damned hard for Barbe and company to keep up the black and white demonizing--- and not come off looking like rabid, unreasonable---and irrelevant

"

LOL Anon, worried about your cash cow drying up?

Barbe
TAUSA

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »
Overlord, if you live your life the way you speak here, I think you need a trip to the Brat Camp. You're digusting and will never amount to anything. You will never listen to any reason, nor will you ever be able to handle authority. If this is really you, please get some help. If it isn't, and you just want to start something to entertain on this site, then no worries. But it isn't funny. You just threatened to hurt someone's family. That's against the law. You could have charges pressed and end up in jail. Get a brain. If these places are so bad, then show someone you don't need to be in one and act like a decent human being. How old are you, 12? Hope you get the help you need.

j

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »
You will never amount to anything? Hmm, what a wonderful example of industry people stating industry things...

Lets see your Eagle Scout Rank
Lets see your High school Graduation with highest honors
Lets see your National Honor Socity Membership
Lets see your job in a interstate software bussiness when you were still a minor...
yeah... im 17, but I have already acomplished more than you ever will.[ This Message was edited by: OverLordd on 2005-07-22 10:35 ]
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2005, 01:51:00 PM »
You can have all the diplomas in the world, but if you can't act like a decent human being, you will not succeed. You would pick out the one statement about never amounting to anything. That's what teenagers are good at. Manipulation. You're typical. You don't know anything about me or my experiences. If you have  REAL job you can't tell people to fuck off. If you want to be an activist, no one will listen to you if you tell people who don't agree with you to shut the fuck up. You may think you can say anything you want, and you can, you just won't succeed. Your Eagle Scout Rank or your Graduation with honors are great things...just for the fact that YOU accomplished them on your own and no one can ever take that away, and for college. But they won't get you far in today's society. I hire people for a living. If I knew your attitude towards people who happen to disagree with you, you'd never get a job here. I work for a multi-billion dollar corporation. And Eagle Scout or not, you cannot hide your attitude for long. It always surfaces unless you want to change it. Sometimes you have to play the game to get ahead. It's unfortunate, but true. If you think what you've accomplished so far is a lot, you're right...for someone who is 17. But you certainly haven't accomplished more than I ever have or will. If you really believe that, again, get help.
J

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2005, 01:54:00 PM »
:razz:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
One more thing, Overlord. I realize that being young, you might not fully appreciate the fact I work for a billion dollar corporation. Not only that, I work in Human Resources, and to complete my point more fully-- I am very attractive physically. You, are trash and will never become what you desire. Your dreams will never come true, sorry to dissapoint you. Perhaps you can become a Scout Leader, I hear the pay is great. Since I have proved my greatness, I don't wish to further debate you. I am a wonderful person, you are not. You should go to BRAT CAMP, since you are a BRAT yourself! Did I tell you I work for a huge corporation? Aren't you impressed? You should be. Not only do I get up each morning to slave away to make higher-ups 200 times my own salary, I am newly single because my husband couldn't stand me. Life is good. That is why I come on Fornits to bash young seventeen year olds. I feel so much beter. Well, I better get back to my job, I wouldn't want to get fired.
J

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »
J--
You seem to be overlooking the fact that OverLord's kissing of your ass (what your asking him to do) won't change anything here. He doesn't work for you. This is the internet if you haven't noticed. I will agree threatening others is not cool, but what you're suggesting is just as not cool. And BTW---the way you spoke to him was anything but diplomatic. Telling someone they will never amount to anything is not constructive criticism, God. I hope I never meet you, let alone work for you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
Oh, and also, I need to get back to MY job. Are the millions of dollars that the company has, is much of that yours? Even say, one million? MMMM, well good luck in your pursuit of all of that, let me know if kissing enough ass gets you rich. I probably won't be impressed, but still I'd be curious to know all the same.
 :wink: