Author Topic: ABC Brat Camp  (Read 36759 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #225 on: July 29, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »
Everyone has a different perspective on this. Mine is that it was largely due to both parents turning their attention and allegiance to work. They are stretched too thin to have the mental resource to have a meaningful relationship with their kids. They drag their ass in from work, everyone sits down for a fast-food meal (at best) and then the kids are put to bed. These kids are lucky if they get 15 minutes of their parents undivided attention. Many from birth on.

All this labeling of 'attactment disorder' can be attributed to kids not having at least one parent present and involved. Being expected to be too independent too quick in areas they aren't developmentally ready for while simultaneously being expected to be dependent in areas they should be allowed independence.

And the Cat's In The Cradle...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »
On 2005-07-29 11:42:00, Deborah wrote:

"

Everyone has a different perspective on this. Mine is that it was largely due to both parents turning their attention and allegiance to work. They are stretched too thin to have the mental resource to have a meaningful relationship with their kids. They drag their ass in from work, everyone sits down for a fast-food meal (at best) and then the kids are put to bed. These kids are lucky if they get 15 minutes of their parents undivided attention. Many from birth on.

All this labeling of 'attactment disorder' can be attributed to kids not having at least one parent present and involved. Being expected to be too independent too quick in areas they aren't developmentally ready for while simultaneously being expected to be dependent in areas they should be allowed independence.

"

You sum it up quite well.

But I thought that 'attachment disorder' is a myth and 'attachment therapy' has been discredited in the established psych community.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2005, 02:01:00 AM »
Nope, very much alive.
Here's a very popular university program in Texas. Getting good reviews.
http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities ... dren_1.asp

While I dislike psych labels, and all they imply, there is undeniably a problem for some kids who, bottomline, haven't been loved and respected; therefore lack the ability to love and respect themselves or others. That's the simple explanation, as I see it.

Ever read the monkey research? Their biological mother was replaced with a wire-mesh, mechanical 'mother' that delivered milk without warmth and affection. They were deprived of love and touch. They could not care for their offspring. How could they? You can't know what you haven't learned/experienced. They were violent, refused to feed and nurture them.  

When I first read the TCU article what really struck me was that people are actually in these classes learning, among other things, how to give nurturing touch. The masses are in a sad state.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2005, 02:22:00 AM »
On 2005-07-29 20:31:00, AtomicAnt wrote:

"

On 2005-07-29 11:42:00, Deborah wrote:

"

"

You sum it up quite well.

But I thought that 'attachment disorder' is a myth and 'attachment therapy' has been discredited in the established psych community.

"

No attachment theory is alive and well. It's behind a lot of other theories too. Especially family therapies.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2005, 09:11:00 AM »
Another young life thrown away:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/29/baseb ... index.html

Youth sentenced to detention center in baseball bat killing
Boy, 13, ordered to stay in facility till age 25

Friday, July 29, 2005; Posted: 12:18 p.m. EDT (16:18 GMT)

Brian Rourke, talks to reporters after the sentencing of a 13-year-old convicted in the killing of his son,

Jeremy Rourke.

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A 13-year-old boy convicted of beating his friend to death with a baseball bat

was sentenced Thursday to a youth detention facility until he is 25 years old, although he could be paroled

before then.

"Watching my son die in front of my face was devastating," the victim's father, Brian Rourke, told the court. "My

son, Jeremy (Rourke), was killed for teasing another kid."

Rourke said he and his son were "best friends."

The convicted teen, whose name is being withheld because he is a juvenile, was found guilty of second-degree

murder after beating Rourke in the knee and head with an aluminum bat after a youth game.

The young teen's feet were shackled during the disposition hearing, and he sat quietly.

Superior Court Judge Richard Naranjo imposed the maximum sentence. Under California law, children under 14 cannot

be tried as adults. The hearing was open to the media.

The attack followed an argument after a Pony League baseball game in Palmdale, California, about 40 miles

northeast of Los Angeles. The suspect was described as a well-liked boy with no criminal record.

Defense attorney William McKinney argued that Rourke was relentlessly bullying the younger boy before the attack,

and said his client had merely taken "the wrong path."

However, prosecutors contended the older boy was merely teasing him.

"We cannot take the chance in the future that he will display that behavior," said prosecutor Lonnie Felk.

Witnesses said the 13-year-old's team had just lost its first game of the season, and he was getting in line at a

snack bar when he and Rourke got into some sort of scuffle. Some witnesses said there was a dispute between the

teens over their place in line; others said Rourke teased the suspect over the loss.

A psychologist described the younger boy as "well-socialized," a good student and "compliant with authority."

Baseball coach Allen McBroom, who has known the convicted teen for five years, fought back tears as he said the

child was the kind of polite boy he liked his son to pal around with.

CNN Producer Sara Weisfeldt contributed to this report.
---------------------------------------------
I post this, because I don't know what to think of it. Murder is serious, but was this an isolated accident due to loss of control? Is the sentence the best thing for the kid and society? I would rather see him graduate from college at 25 than walk out of a prison a hard core ex-con.

Probably off-topic. Sorry.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »
On 2005-07-30 06:11:00, AtomicAnt wrote:

"Another young life thrown away:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/29/baseb ... index.html

Youth sentenced to detention center in baseball bat killing

Boy, 13, ordered to stay in facility till age 25

Friday, July 29, 2005; Posted: 12:18 p.m. EDT (16:18 GMT)

Brian Rourke, talks to reporters after the sentencing of a 13-year-old convicted in the killing of his son,

Jeremy Rourke.

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A 13-year-old boy convicted of beating his friend to death with a baseball bat

was sentenced Thursday to a youth detention facility until he is 25 years old, although he could be paroled

before then.

"Watching my son die in front of my face was devastating," the victim's father, Brian Rourke, told the court. "My

son, Jeremy (Rourke), was killed for teasing another kid."

Rourke said he and his son were "best friends."

The convicted teen, whose name is being withheld because he is a juvenile, was found guilty of second-degree

murder after beating Rourke in the knee and head with an aluminum bat after a youth game.

The young teen's feet were shackled during the disposition hearing, and he sat quietly.

Superior Court Judge Richard Naranjo imposed the maximum sentence. Under California law, children under 14 cannot

be tried as adults. The hearing was open to the media.

The attack followed an argument after a Pony League baseball game in Palmdale, California, about 40 miles

northeast of Los Angeles. The suspect was described as a well-liked boy with no criminal record.

Defense attorney William McKinney argued that Rourke was relentlessly bullying the younger boy before the attack,

and said his client had merely taken "the wrong path."

However, prosecutors contended the older boy was merely teasing him.

"We cannot take the chance in the future that he will display that behavior," said prosecutor Lonnie Felk.

Witnesses said the 13-year-old's team had just lost its first game of the season, and he was getting in line at a

snack bar when he and Rourke got into some sort of scuffle. Some witnesses said there was a dispute between the

teens over their place in line; others said Rourke teased the suspect over the loss.

A psychologist described the younger boy as "well-socialized," a good student and "compliant with authority."

Baseball coach Allen McBroom, who has known the convicted teen for five years, fought back tears as he said the

child was the kind of polite boy he liked his son to pal around with.

CNN Producer Sara Weisfeldt contributed to this report.

---------------------------------------------

I post this, because I don't know what to think of it. Murder is serious, but was this an isolated accident due to loss of control? Is the sentence the best thing for the kid and society? I would rather see him graduate from college at 25 than walk out of a prison a hard core ex-con.

Probably off-topic. Sorry."

This kid is very very lucky.

In South Carolina, another 13 year old boy on 2 types of pychotropic drugs heard voices and killed his grandparents.

HE GOT A LIFE SENTENCE.  No possibility of parole.

Damn Amerika.  Protect the drug companies.  No, it wasn't the drugs, they say.  Well guess what?

It was.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »
I just hope one day they will develop the science or something where they can conclusively prove these medications negative effects. I feel like we are in the 50's and everyone is smoking ciggarettes, completely oblivious to the harm it's doing-- but instead of tobacco todays fad is prescription drugs. I've been at my low points and tried a few anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication, I honestly didn't feel a thing. I just dont get it really.

Without a way to prove the effects of these medications, it would be almost impossible the child above who murdered the other child wouldn't have done it if he weren't taking the medication. I think every human being is capable of murder, so the question is, do these medications bring that dark instinct to the surface quicker?

Hopefully we'll have an answer soon.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »
was the kid on psychoactive drugs?  if so, which one/ones?  kids have more pressures/distractions to deal with now more than ever.  as much as we'd like to deny it, we are still creatures of instinct, and constant bullying can really push a kid over the edge.  i'm not defending him, I think it's a tragedy what happened, and it's really sad, but now he's going to be locked away throughout his high school and college years, some of the most developmental times of his life, only to reemgere to reality 12 years later, pale and unprepared for the world.  Does anyone know where he's going to serve his sentence?

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »
On 2005-08-02 18:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"was the kid on psychoactive drugs?  if so, which one/ones?  kids have more pressures/distractions to deal with now more than ever.  as much as we'd like to deny it, we are still creatures of instinct, and constant bullying can really push a kid over the edge.  i'm not defending him, I think it's a tragedy what happened, and it's really sad, but now he's going to be locked away throughout his high school and college years, some of the most developmental times of his life, only to reemgere to reality 12 years later, pale and unprepared for the world.  Does anyone know where he's going to serve his sentence? "

Was this just a freak accident due to the lack of impulse control a kid might have? It would seem a shame to incarcerate him for so long when a couple years of maturity might calm him down. There is no mention that he had a history of being violent.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2005, 12:48:00 PM »
You certainly SEEM to be hateful, if all the hateful terminology you just spewed is any idication.

As for kids not getting "a education," perhaps you should consider getting one yourseld, and having some idea what you're talking about, before trying to debate anything again in the future.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »
On 2005-08-02 17:37:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I just hope one day they will develop the science or something where they can conclusively prove these medications negative effects. I feel like we are in the 50's and everyone is smoking ciggarettes, completely oblivious to the harm it's doing-- but instead of tobacco todays fad is prescription drugs. I've been at my low points and tried a few anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication, I honestly didn't feel a thing. I just dont get it really.

Without a way to prove the effects of these medications, it would be almost impossible the child above who murdered the other child wouldn't have done it if he weren't taking the medication. I think every human being is capable of murder, so the question is, do these medications bring that dark instinct to the surface quicker?

Hopefully we'll have an answer soon."

What really bothered me about the twelve-year-old who killed his grandparents was that the judge refused to allow any mention of the drugs at his trial. The defense was not permitted to even mention the kid was taking medication! The boy states that his medication was helping him, but that his grandparents had given him a cold remedy that in conjunction with the medication caused a psychotic reaction. He described feeling that his skin was on fire and burning off of him and that he never felt that before or since. The medication he was on was one designed for adults, not children. It was prescribed by a pediatrician, not a psychiatrist.

The defense also pointed out that when the crime took place, the boy was 12 and weighed about 75lbs, but by the time he was tried, he was  6'2" weighed 160lb, was 15 and was brought into the courtroom wearing a prison uniform and in handcuffs and leg shackles. The defense argued that this certainly presented an unsympathetic image to the jury.