Author Topic: looking for reputable Amish Boarding School  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Amish Mom

• View Profile
looking for reputable Amish Boarding School
« on: March 27, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »
I am looking for a reputable Amish Boarding School for both of my children. My son shaves daily.We Amish expect males to grow beards.He also insists on having only one wife when we insist on him having seven. My daughter is starting to wear alot of DKNY clothing instead of traditional Amish wear. One thing that I was wrong about is this internet thing. I can not believe I can type a message on a keyboard and I can read their responses.I am certainly gonna  spread the word about this phenomenon to the Amish culture. The other things are non- negotiable so they need to go to an Amish Boarding School.

This cyberspace stuff is so awesome![ This Message was edited by: Amish Mom on 2005-03-27 16:45 ][ This Message was edited by: Amish Mom on 2005-03-27 17:24 ][ This Message was edited by: Amish Mom on 2005-03-27 17:26 ][ This Message was edited by: Amish Mom on 2005-03-27 17:28 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
his cyberspace stuff is so awesome!

Offline Devlin

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 08:11:00 PM »
your funny this one takes the cake. Little hint the amish dont belive in computers. Funny post though..

Offline Amish Mom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 08:23:00 PM »
It Is true that I did not believe in computers for a very long time. But I have recently changed my mind. And we can stream live video of our ceremonies in cyberspace!
his cyberspace stuff is so awesome!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »
The Amish don't have trolls. They have gnomes.

http://www.amish.net/

There's no biochemical test to distinguish the so-called manic-depressive person from the elated or despondent football fan. Nor is there any resan to assume the manic-depressive's inner experience is driven by twisted molecules while the football fan's is driven, at worst, by twisted values
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312113668/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Dr. Peter Breggin, Toxic Psychiatry

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 04:58:00 AM »
On 2005-03-27 18:06:00, Antigen wrote:

"The Amish don't have trolls. They have gnomes.

http://www.amish.net/

There's no biochemical test to distinguish the so-called manic-depressive person from the elated or despondent football fan. Nor is there any resan to assume the manic-depressive's inner experience is driven by twisted molecules while the football fan's is driven, at worst, by twisted values
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312113668/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Dr. Peter Breggin, Toxic Psychiatry

"

If they don't believe in computers why do they have a website?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 10:47:00 AM »
Good question.

For the most part we inherit our opinions. We are the heirs of habits and mental customs. Our beliefs, like the fashion of our garments, depend on where we were born. We are molded and fashioned by our surroundings.
--Environment is a sculptor -- a painter.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »
Aren't the Amish already a closed "society" cult-like existence that do whatever they want with thier kids?? where the women are totally controlled, and no outside authorities have any say-so about what goes on? And these people do not obey any laws of the land? Sounds like they already have a "good program and treatment deal going on." Why does she need to send the kiddos anywhere?

Offline White Cracker Man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 12:53:00 PM »
What I understand from reading the website, is that the website is not owned by the Amish. It is a seller of Amish made goods. The owner of the site also educates about The Amish and gets answers about the Amish from the Amish. A while ago, there was a story on like Primetime or something and said that the police are also Amish and they are influenced by wealthy Amish businessmen, who have multiple kids from multiple wives.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »
Do Amish cops get an Amish uniform?  And how do they do their jobs with the whole non-violence thing?

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »
The Amish Police I Saw on Primetime or a similiar program, looked just like your typical police, police car like your typical police car. As far as the non -violence thing, I do not have a clue.[ This Message was edited by: mikey on 2005-03-28 15:04 ]

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »
I was mistaken. I searched and found that Amish people do not believe in using force against anyone, so they do not become soldiers or police officers. That means that the TV Program must have said that people in whatever Amish community that was, said that the local police, who are not Amish, are influenced by wealty Amish business men, so they do not act against crimes against women.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 01:41:00 AM »
You could sent your kid to Provo Canyon School in Utah.  The recreational therapist used to brag that his grandfather was a polygamist.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 11:40:00 AM »
Oh, too funny.

First of all, an Amish *adult* wouldn't use a computer.

Secondly, Amish *youths* are customarily allowed and expected to go out into the world and use technology and live like anyone else for awhile so that when they come home it's not the forbidden fruit and holds no mysteries for them.

Which means this troll is just a bit prejudiced in his views of the Amish.  He's made some inaccurate prejudgements about their ways and got it exactly backwards.

It's not that the Amish think technology is evil.  Usually an Amish community will have one telephone for the whole community so that if they really need it they can choose to use it.

They just believe in choosing and controlling what technology they use so that they control it rather than the other way around.

Given how many times I'm working away, or teaching, and the phone rings and interrupts me so that I lose my train of thought or my daughter loses track of what I was in the middle of explaining, they have a point. :smile: :smile: :smile:  They're right that there is a danger of technology being a burden sometimes instead of a blessing.

I guess anybody with a long commute stuck in traffic would probably agree on that, too. :smile:

Too funny.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Julie

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 01:38:00 PM »
Yeah, the Amish are pretty cool. For one thing, each little community does things their own way. So if one has a real problem w/ incest or some other horrible bane of human social interaction, most often that sect will break up into two or more groups if they can't resolve the issue to everyone's satisfaction.

Generally, they don't take part in outsider politics. They won't vote, they arrange their property and finances so as to be as close to tax free as possible. They'll even go so far as to flagrantly violate a law that they don't believe should apply to them (such as the requirement for reflective signs on the backs of their horse drawn buggies) But everything is negotiable, according to the situation at hand.

My dad told me a great story. The only time he ever remembered seeng the Amish turn out for a federal election was when Kennedy ran for president. Having come from Europe as religious refugees from the Catholic governments there, they turned out in DROVES to vote against the Catholic. I don't know that they did the same this last time around, but it wouldn't surprise me too much.

All contemporary religions and churches, all and every kind of religious organization, Marxism has always viewed as organs of bourgeois reaction, serving as a defense of exploitation and the doping of the working-classes.
--Nikolai Lenin, Russian revolutionary

Offline chi3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 06:25:00 AM »
You know, I rarely can say I am offended by something, I frankly don't give a damn about what most people say or do. Yes, the trolls here can be funny/annoying, but I can honestly say that's offensive. My children's grandfather is Amish. I have lived as a part of their family for over 20 yrs. Old Order Amish do not use technology. Phones are outdoors housed in sheds, barns, shops, etc. for business purposes only. Anyone who has a business may have a phone. Most Amish teenagers work in regular jobs at the grocery store,etc. Teenagers have a time called Rumspringa when they experience the "real" world before commiting themselves to the church. Amish people do not send their kids to boarding schools. Feel free to write back when you have your facts straight.