Author Topic: looking for reputable Amish Boarding School  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
looking for reputable Amish Boarding School
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »
Here's a fact: Even though Amish children get an "opportunity" to go into the real world and see if they want to stay there, it's not a viable option for them.  This is because Amish parents are the only group in the country who are not obligated to send their children to school past the eighth grade.  The US Supreme Court agreed that a high school education was not important for Amish children, since they will be trained in the ways of Amish culture instead.  Of course they work in grocery stores!  Their parents are not obligated to provide them with an education that can get them anything better in the real world.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 02:36:00 AM »
Actually, there are quite a few Amish folk working and/or going to school around the Pittsburgh area. It's not necessarily easy to break away. But I think that has more to do w/ losing close contact w/ family and just general culture shock. Whatever they may lack in formal education starting out, they seem to have no trouble making up for w/ work ethic if they're determined to leave.

Anyway, I do doubt there are many Amish kids in boarding schools of any kind. It's just not a good fit.

Homeschool is self regulating. The school board is not going to have illiterate useless people living in their homes forever if they don't have a working education policy.

--Sisterbluerose

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2005, 03:54:00 AM »
On 2005-03-31 23:36:00, Antigen wrote:

"Anyway, I do doubt there are many Amish kids in boarding schools of any kind. It's just not a good fit."

Well here's one:

http://media.orkut.com/articles/r0151.html

'She described how the program had helped another girl she knew: a modern girl, with old-fashioned parents, who was fighting with her family because she "didn't want to be Amish." '

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2005, 07:08:00 AM »
boy, that blog post really made me want to send my kid to a wwasps cult.  NOT

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »
On 2005-03-31 03:25:00, chi3 wrote:

"You know, I rarely can say I am offended by something, I frankly don't give a damn about what most people say or do. Yes, the trolls here can be funny/annoying, but I can honestly say that's offensive. My children's grandfather is Amish. I have lived as a part of their family for over 20 yrs. Old Order Amish do not use technology. Phones are outdoors housed in sheds, barns, shops, etc. for business purposes only. Anyone who has a business may have a phone. Most Amish teenagers work in regular jobs at the grocery store,etc. Teenagers have a time called Rumspringa when they experience the "real" world before commiting themselves to the church. Amish people do not send their kids to boarding schools. Feel free to write back when you have your facts straight."

Rumspringa.  That was the word I was looking for.  Thanks, CHI3.

Timoclea

Our friends and allies in the Middle East and Europe will soon be subject to forms of intimidation by an Iraqi government bent on dominating the Middle East and its oil reserves,
http://www.sptimes.com/' target='_new'>Project for the New American Century (were they talking about themselves?)

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
On 2005-03-31 17:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Here's a fact: Even though Amish children get an "opportunity" to go into the real world and see if they want to stay there, it's not a viable option for them.  This is because Amish parents are the only group in the country who are not obligated to send their children to school past the eighth grade.  The US Supreme Court agreed that a high school education was not important for Amish children, since they will be trained in the ways of Amish culture instead.  Of course they work in grocery stores!  Their parents are not obligated to provide them with an education that can get them anything better in the real world."

I wouldn't agree with your pessimism about their prospects.

For the boys, have you any idea of the demand out there in agriculture for competent farmhands?  It's huge.

Plus, any Amish boy out there would do very well in construction because he probably knows more about carpentry than 99% of high school graduates.  Construction easily pays well enough to cover the costs of continuing education.  High school really goes at a very slow pace.  A motivated college-age young adult can typically get through the equivalent amount of material in a year.  I went to a university that was still on the quarter system.  We routinely covered as much material in a quarter in college as we covered in a year in high school.  Maturity helps.  A lot.

Any Amish girl out there can immediately go in and get a job doing clothing alterations or as a cook in a semi-decent restaurant.  She may not know how to make their recipes, but she more than has the basic skills from which all good food is made, and she *certainly* has enough education to read and follow the recipes with no trouble.  Food service doesn't pay a lot, but skilled cooks certainly get enough to live on and finance continuing education.

There isn't a lot that they teach in the academic courses in high school that you can't learn yourself from a good book on the subject.

The basics of learning how to learn I already more than had by the end of 8th grade.  So did almost all my classmates, even the ones on the slow side of average, whether they recognized it or not.

The reason Amish are not compelled to send their children to school past the 8th grade was that in the court cases that decided that they demonstrated to the full satisfaction of the courts that they provided continuing education in their own communities that was different from but equivalent to high school--at least the next two years of it, which is as high as compulsory schooling laws usually go, anyway.

Amish kids get through their 18th year with a solid vocational education that is better than many other children graduate with or drop out with.

Any one of them, male or female, could probably get a job in a stable as a groom.  For more than minimum wage because they know what they're doing.

Don't judge their skills worthless in the marketplace just because of our national bias towards college degrees.  There's a whole lot of people out there making good livings in the trades without them.

Just as there are a whole lot of kids who attend high school without actually getting educated there---being far more interested in the social and recreational opportunities than the academic ones. :smile: :smile: :smile:

I would suspect having solid skills, many of which are in regular use outside the Amish community, that *don't* exactly match the skills of the rafts of *other* kids coming out of high school every year is more of an advantage to an enterprising Amish lad or lass than a drawback.  Supply and demand.

Timoclea

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.
--Thomas Brackett Reed