Author Topic: My Opinions  (Read 21362 times)

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2005, 11:36:00 PM »
I agree T. and having read your posts (and enjoyed them) I understand why you feel the need to clarify.  I'm specifically talking about the thought stopping cliches that are so readily used by AA and thrown at anyone who dares question the great and powerful Oz.

I don't believe in God. My god is patriotism. Teach a man to be a good citizen and you have solved the problem of life.
--Andrew Carnegie, Scottish-born American industrialist and philanthropist

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2005, 04:32:00 AM »
Aren't you all sooo witty. Hmm. ANd another thing to whoever was the ass that said "If they want to quit they can do so." Oh yes, it's that easy. Addiction is not another word for "Could quit whenever they wanted to but chooses not to." That was a load. [ This Message was edited by: Perrigaud on 2005-04-08 01:35 ]

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2005, 07:45:00 AM »
On 2005-04-08 01:32:00, Perrigaud wrote:

"Aren't you all sooo witty. Hmm. ANd another thing to whoever was the ass that said "If they want to quit they can do so." Oh yes, it's that easy. Addiction is not another word for "Could quit whenever they wanted to but chooses not to." That was a load. [ This Message was edited by: Perrigaud on 2005-04-08 01:35 ]"

Perri, I've always read and at least respected your opinions.  I haven't always agreed with them, but I didn't just write you off as an "ass" because you had a different opinion than I.

Moralizing, with the force of law or coercion, is a
far greater crime against the constitutional principles of our nation than unauthorized euphoria, regardless of the substance involved, be it chocolate or heroin.
--James

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My Opinions
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »
On 2005-04-07 17:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

A religion? Thats extreme angry pants. I think your anger is clouding your ability to have a calm discussion. Geez you must have met some butt holes in AA for oyu to hate it this much!

"A fair reading of the fundamental AA doctrinal writings discloses that their dominant theme is unequivocally religious," the court said. "Adherence to the AA fellowship entails engagement in religious activity and religious proselytization."--New York state's highest court http://www.positiveatheism.org/rw/alcohol.htm#NYCOURT

Warner also argued that by requiring participation in the Alcoholics Anonymous regimen, the government was establishing and promoting religious belief.

U.S. District Judge Gerard Goettel agreed, ...
http://www.positiveatheism.org/rw/warner.htm

In a case currently before a federal court in Chicago two commercial airline pilots are suing their employer for being forced to participate in a program for alcohol abuse based on the AA Twelve Step Program 17 . They contend that the airline's policy discriminates against them on the basis of religion as one pilot is an atheist and the other a secular humanist. The pilots are suing on the grounds that AA's Twelve Steps refer to a monotheistic god and thus their forced participation is a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 ,
http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/aa.html

Angry pants, all?

Were the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. Thus in France the emetic was once forbidden as a medicine, and the potato as an article of food. Government is just as infallible,[sic] too, when it fixes systems in physics. Galileo was sent to the Inquisition for affirming that the earth was a sphere.... It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
I dont have alot of time to write for now Cayo, but Ill respond as quickly as I can.

I said you can quit if you want to, but it takes a much longer, more detailed process to STAY sober. Quitting is not going to solve everything. It will solve it for the moment, but many people relapse later on wihtout a plan so to speak. But I agree wiht you that people take things too literally in the big book. Ive found that the friends I have that stay sober dont do it "right" (if there is such a thing) all the time. Its progress, not perfection. I know that the bigbook says some stupid stuff, but it was also written by males in the 50s. They were not the most openminded people of all time, especially when it came to women in recovery. I think that times change and societys change and therefore I edit the things form the book I dont like and keep in mind that which I can embrace. I know alot of AA "nazis" woudl say do it this way or else!" but hose I know in my humble openminded meetings where I live would never say such a thing. They have prgressed with AA and dont take it all so literally, like the bible or something.

It says specifically what I said? Ive never read it. But then again Ive never read all the stories in it. Maybe someone there said it?

I think it is true, however that someone who understands addiction from firsthand expereince knows better than someone who reads it from a book. I would not go to a therapist to help me wiht my addictions if they werent in recovery. I have friends who feel the same way. One of my friends who had a hard relapse recently said her therapist is retarded in that way because shes never known what addiction is like. She told her "Why would anyone like to smoke pot? Or do drugs?" Well any addict knows why.

And for soem people, AA is the ONLY thing that worked for them. That was true of Bill W cuz back then there werent many alternatives. Thats not to say that it dosnt need a little revision. But a few passages sayign they feel it is the only thing that helped them and the peopel they know that tried it dosnt mean they might not feel differetnly now. Men have a way of thinking their way is the only way (women too, but Ive noticed every male in my life is pretty thick headed about that stuff) Bill W was no exception. I have always had a problem wiht the outdated ness of it. But I wont dicredit books just because they are outdated. If they have useful informationthat applies to me than cool! Who cares if most of it sucks? At least I found a nugget of truth that helped me. AA is in no way perfect. No recovery method is perfect or 100%. None. Nada. Zip. So I think it is important for any recovering person to look for what fits them best and if they need to follow the big Book "religiously" then thats what they need. I know when I relapsed the first time, it wasnt cuz I stopped going to meetings or calling my sponser. It had to do with my honesy level wiht myself and others, letting things slip that are important for me to be structured on, ect.

Again look at when the book was writen. Not many alternatives that worked.

I agree again. They can quit. But to stay sober is a totally differetn thing. AA isnt about quitting and sending you home all fixed. Its about staying sober.

Is it misguided to want to stay sober? I have a cousin who is an alcoholic but instead of AA, she goes to church. I am not a big fan of organized religion at all, but if it helps her, so be it.

Sometimes, I dont know if this is true for you, but it takes someone else to point out what Im doing wrong if i cant see it. And they dont say "heres what your doing wrong and heres how to fix it." By giving a personal expereince of their life and what helped them, you can see yourself in that snad try it too. No one could say why someon is in AA, but hey can try to help them figure it out.

I have taken every expereince in my life and used it as a recovery path. Treatment, AA, therapy, spiritual healing, ect. I dont look for one path, but I can see the good in AA instead of being cynical and only pointing out the bad. If we all went aroud looking for the bad in everything then we would all be miserable bastards. Well, most Americans are, but still. Like I am not a fan of any organized religion. In my opinion it does alot of damage. but I can see the good in it as well. I am not a fan of the government, especially the one we have now, but I can see the small microscopic good it does. I choose nott o wallow in the bad. It does no one any good. Sure I get passionate about it. Sure I hate the bad of it. But I dont want to live my life worrying about it if I'm not going to do anything to help. I think you are all great for getting activly involved (as far as a forum goes) to stop something oyu see as injustice. But I think a program designed to help people is nothing to freak out about. If they were trying ot force you to do it, then yes, that is lame. But if oyu can find a meeting of openminded individuals, then that is a great thing and AA can be effective.

I do think having a spiritual mind and body is an excellent thing, not just for sober people. I think it helps sober people, but being in touch with an inner self and exploring your own spirituality can be a good idea for anyone.

But how many of the 80% quit for good? How many just quit and stayed sober for a while and drank again? Staying sober is a lifetime commitment. You have to always want it, not just when things are really bad, I think. It helps to admit you have lost control of your drinking to stop. If oyu didnt feel you had no control over your drinking, you wouldnt have the desire to quit in the first place, agreed?

Pleas quote whare it says "were either true alcoholics or well die or come crawling back" Ill find it somewhere and quote what I said.

You make it seem as though it is easy when you say, "just quit"

My sponser of friends never broungt up the steps when I had a craving. Again, maybe its the place you live.

Actually at the treatment center i went to, AA was totaly voluntary. If you didnt want to go you didnt have to, cuz alot of people there didnt just have alcohol or drug problems. I ran a meetign on an upper level and only 2-3 peopel came a week. That seems pretty voluntary to me.

Alot of peopel were facing not just death, ultimatly drinking excessivlt will kill you. Either through liver problems, heart attack, diabetes, ect., but they are facing prison or jail time, losing their family, their marriage, their home, their car, what ever. That seems good enough to quit for me.

I dont know anyone who thinks of it as a religion. Regardless of what they thought it sounded liek or what it seems like, no one I know prays to Bill W.

Words words words. Actions speak louder than words. If the big book says something and I dont do it I dont automatically fall dead. TO them AA had to be tough or they would relapse. Its hard to relapse. It is unpleasant. They were just trying to make sure that didnt happen, and there way seemed to work so yeah. Many peopel dont take all of it as literally as you think.

I think I know why oyu dont like AA. Probably for the same reason I dont like organized religion. But can we agree that it is always good to look for the positive in something and acknowledge that instead of focusing only on the bad?

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it."
-Helen Keller

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #200 on: April 08, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »
I read your post, T, and I agree. Thought stopping is fantabulous. However. Aa is simply a tool as well. Everyign Ive learned in my life are simply tools that are there iF I need them. When I said earlier that attitude is improtant and oyu always have the power to coose a beeter one, I meant it! You can stop your negative thinking and replace wiht positive. AA does that lot (at the meetings I went and go to) They give an example of how their negative thinking was creating problems fotr them and how they overcame it as a sober person. I guess Id say AA is a tool as well as thought stopping.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
Ginger,
Hey! I thought angry pants was pretty good.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »
Cayo,
Heres the quote I wanted to write wiht my last post.

"Darkness makes us aware of the stars, and so when dark hours arise, they may hold a bright and lovly thing we might never have known other wise."

A perfect description af how I fell about the good AA has to offer.

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2005, 05:58:00 AM »
Cayo,
  I'm sorry Ass wasn't nice. However I think that that opinion is quite off. If it were easy to quit an addiction than wouldn't so many people be unaddicted? Honestly, that opinion was by far quite farfetched. Addiction...that's like me saying that if someone wants to learn a language it's as easy as simply speaking it. No, it takes time, effort, and practice. It's feasible yes but it's not something done overnight. What's even harder about addiction is that it's an imbalance.

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »
On 2005-04-09 02:58:00, Perrigaud wrote:

"Cayo,

I'm sorry Ass wasn't nice. However I think that that opinion is quite off. If it were easy to quit an addiction than wouldn't so many people be unaddicted? Honestly, that opinion was by far quite farfetched. Addiction...that's like me saying that if someone wants to learn a language it's as easy as simply speaking it. No, it takes time, effort, and practice. It's feasible yes but it's not something done overnight. What's even harder about addiction is that it's an imbalance. "

Perri, if you'll look back I said more than once that it is NOT easy.  But, if someone wants to quit they will.  They'll do what they have to do to quit and stay quit.  It is not easy by any means, but it can be done.

I don't buy into the whole "disease" bs either.  It wasn't until AFTER I refused to believe that I was "powerless" and "diseased" (believed that shit for 20 years) that I could drink like a normal, sane person without having to get trashed.

I've got a lot more to say on this and I'd like to continue the discussion.  Gotta run for now   GREAT weather today, I've got to get out in it.

Our Bible reveals to us the character of our god with minute and remorseless exactness... It is perhaps the most damnatory biography that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light and leading by contrast.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #205 on: April 09, 2005, 09:20:00 AM »
Cayo,
  Were you the one that said that addicts can just quit on a whim? It was an anonymous poster that had said that.

I have been reading your posts and I agree and disagree respectfully.

I am not an addict of alcohol or drugs and so I don't claim to know too much about it. I do however empathize.

Have fun on your run. I'm jealous. I'm about to get out of work. Can't run today :cry: unless I do it at 7 at night. Have to go to job #2.

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #206 on: April 09, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »
No, I dont' think I ever said that an addict can just quit on a whim.  If someone is truly addicted (and IMO, that's different from a 'disease') and wants to quit, its anything but easy.  This explains a lot of what I mean about 'just don't drink'.

http://orange-papers.org/orange-addmonst.html

Now its my turn to be jealous.  Wish I had the disclipline to exercise.  I'm not going out to run, I'm too lazy for that. :lol: I'm hitting the beach to park my lazy ass on it for a few hours.  Hope everyone has a great day!!!!

The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure.
-- Albert Einstein

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #207 on: April 09, 2005, 09:48:00 AM »
You live by a beach. Nice. I will be doing some nighttime running under the stars. Hope no animal eats me.

Someone said it was easy to just quit like the snap of a finger. It is hard to quit. Most can't quit cold turkey.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »
I just wanted to apologize for the brainwashed ramblings that occured in this thread. I was very under WWASP control until recently and reading what I wrote made me sick. I was wrong and I feel like a fool. Thanks to all the people on here who helped me see the truth and who were patient with me even though I was rather insane.
Amanda

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2005, 11:11:00 PM »
On 2005-09-13 19:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I just wanted to apologize for the brainwashed ramblings that occured in this thread. I was very under WWASP control until recently and reading what I wrote made me sick. I was wrong and I feel like a fool. Thanks to all the people on here who helped me see the truth and who were patient with me even though I was rather insane.

Amanda"

::bigsmilebounce::  ::birthday::  :nworthy: