Author Topic: Bethel Girls Academy - CLOSED  (Read 7087 times)

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BethelAcademyAbuse/
Bethel Girls Academy - CLOSED
« on: February 18, 2005, 12:13:00 AM »
WDAM Home

Bethel Shuts Down After Girls Flee
Feb 17, 2005, 02:59 PM MST  Email to a Friend  Printer Friendly Version    

The director of the Bethel Girls Academy says he voluntarily shut down his school after allegations of abuse on Wednesday.

Herman Fountain Jr. says he's released the school's 50 residents into the custody of the Department of Human Services while the academy remains temporarily closed.

On Wednesday 11 girls ran away from the school, claiming they'd been abused.

Sources say all 50 girls spent last night in sleeping bags at the Forrest County DHS office. DHS will not confirm that a state investigation is underway, saying only that the department does respond to all complaints about state-inspected facilities.

Officials say when there are allegations of abuse, the state health department, DHS, the attorney general's office, and local law enforcement are required to work together.

Sources say the 11 girls who ran away have gone back to their homes, while the remaining residents wait at the DHS office to be picked up by their parents.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
heryle - My son was TORTURED and ABUSED at Bethel Boys Academy aka Eagle Point Christian Academy, aka Pine View Academy, Lucedale, MS.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 12:42:00 AM »
*plays another one bites the dust*

MWAHAHAHA! Up yours assholes! Jailbreak kind of ruined your credibility in dismissing accuastions now, doesn't it? And that girl beaten up in the hospital also is just another nail in your coffin!

:grin:

Lighthouses are more helpful then churches.
--Benjamin Franklin, American Founding Father, author, and inventor

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Evo-chan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 12:43:00 AM »
:eek:  Wow, cool. I haven't been active on these boards alot lately, but it's nice to come back and see good things like this happenening. Hopefully more of these places will fall in the coming months. TAKE THAT, teen help industry.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 03:39:00 AM »
:smile: Excellent. 1 down, 500+ more to go, but we're getting there.

Offline chi3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 03:50:00 AM »
YES, YES, YES!!!!! I am so glad to see this!!!!If we could just get this information in front of every parent in the US I would be thrilled. Rock On! :grin:

Offline Curious John

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »
Watchaduen,

Did you happen to archive a copy of this article? I have been trying to archive articles direct from their source, and when I went to WDAM's website this story was no longer available. It was however replaced with an article that defended Bethel Academy for girls and hoped for it's return soon.

Thanks, John

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
I just have this copy saved to an e-mail in my filing cabinet.  Anymore, those on-line papers their stories disappear fast.  I read about how those two girls just loved it and can't wait to go back.  Yeah right.
Worse part about it is they will get their chance to.  It is time to watch the state level corruption unfold.  This place will be back open soon, same owners, same name.  They are in the process of doing a name change on the girls compound also to run from the past abuse allegations.
Over on the NYRA site, there is already this Mom of supposedly one of the 11 run aways.  Her daughter loved it there and was NEVER abused.  Great, then why in the hell did she run away?  Oh, and she had to add that her daughter even explained why all 11 of them "made up" abuse stories.  Oh brother.
heryle - My son was TORTURED and ABUSED at Bethel Boys Academy aka Eagle Point Christian Academy, aka Pine View Academy, Lucedale, MS.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 11:50:00 PM »
A name change wouldn't be a big surprise seeing how that was how his brother just recently handled a public relations problem of his own  at "Bethel Boys Academy"("I hope to put a new face on it...John Fountain"), changing their name to "Eagle Point Christian Academy". According to the article, even their father followed a similar approach when he ran into trouble with the initial "Bethel Home for Children"

http://http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/10869246.htm

Offline Curious John

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 11:54:00 PM »
A name change wouldn't be a big surprise seeing how that was how his brother just recently handled a public relations problem of his own at "Bethel Boys Academy"("I hope to put a new face on it...John Fountain"), changing their name to "Eagle Point Christian Academy". According to the article, even their father followed a similar approach when he ran into trouble with the initial "Bethel Home for Children"

http://http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/10869246.htm[ This Message was edited by: Curious John on 2005-02-18 20:55 ]

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »
On 2005-02-18 20:54:00, Curious John wrote:

"A name change wouldn't be a big surprise seeing how that was how his brother just recently handled a public relations problem of his own at "Bethel Boys Academy"("I hope to put a new face on it...John Fountain"), changing their name to "Eagle Point Christian Academy". According to the article, even their father followed a similar approach when he ran into trouble with the initial "Bethel Home for Children"

http://http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/10869246.htm[ This Message was edited by: Curious John on 2005-02-18 20:55 ]"

Didn't Straight, Inc. close too... and open the next day under a new name in the same building?

Just a thought.
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »
It will now be time to watch corruption at it's finest.  Of course Bethel Girls will reopen.  That is the Fountain's cash cow.  Think about it.  They were raided in May, 2004.  All the girls removed.  They were closed for a few days I believe.  Then it was business as usual.  Taking new victims.  Only months later, they had over 40 girl victims.  Raided again when the 11 victims fled from that place.  They will be closed a few days.  All claims of abuse will be unsubstantiated.  Business as usual.  According to their website, the girls compound isn't supposed to change names until June, 2005.  It will become Parent Hope Ministries.  Maybe, with this last round of abused kids, they will change their name faster.

Offline know the truth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »
My daughter was one of those defending the school. She was tranferred there from another school for various problems.  No, she was not one of the runaways, but gave her story to paper.
She saw no abuse, was treated good, and also did a 180.  You know not what you speak!

Offline know the truth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 09:30:00 PM »
My daughter was one of those defending the school. She was tranferred there from another school for various problems.  No, she was not one of the runaways, but gave her story to paper.
She saw no abuse, was treated good, and also did a 180.  You know not what you speak!

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 10:27:00 PM »
Hey, I believe you!!!!  When we rescued my son from the Bethel Boys Academy, Lucedale, MS. (also owned and operated by the Fountain family) they were beating those boys until they were black and blue.  Electrocuting them, starving them, not allowing them to use the bathroom (many then urinated on themselves), etc.  Yet, there were a few boys claiming Bethel was wonderful, they never were abused, nor witnessed any abuse.  When the state went in they had no trouble finding 13 victims with obvious physical abuse.  Yet those faithful Bethel supporters seen nothing during their sentence there.  The ones that they did witness getting beat - "well, they deserved it".

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »
Yes, it is true that many are not abused, but even if only one is abused, that is one too many.  The reason that many do not "witness" the abuse is because they are hidden from it.  Prime example, at Thayer, when they are getting ready to abuse one of the cadets they yell "grenade" which means all other cadets are to lie on the floor with their face down and their arms over the top of their head...all so that they dont "witness" it.