Author Topic: Carlbrook-CEDU connection?  (Read 20655 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook-CEDU connection?
« on: January 27, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »
Does anybody now anything about this place:

Carlbrook School
http://www.carlbrook.org

It's run by Tim Brace and a bunch of other old CEDU big wigs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline CEDU 1974-75

• View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »
Sorry...I'm afraid I've never heard of Carlbrook..
\"Work is love made visible\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 08:26:00 PM »
Interesting, It seems to be in the South in a plantation - how ironic that they trade on group of slaves for another.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »
I just graduated from Carlbrook in July 2005, and honsetly, coming on this website and reading your replys about Carlbrook made me want to vomit. This school was the best thing that has ever happened to me and my family. I found out how important I am, and how what I was doing to my body, my heart, my mind was against everything that is simply true about me. Carlbrook does not beleive in fixing anybody, because they beleive in the theory that no one is broken, it is true. It is not a place where they lock kids up, it is a place where lost kids can find out what they want out of this life, to apologize to themselves for betraying love, truth and their hearts. This school has been my home for the past 17 months, it has been the most powerful experience. Yes, a lot of the student are in charge of things like a student body government, a committee where older students are bigs brothers and big sisters to new students who feel so completly and utterly uncomfortable, there are prefects where the students are making sure the dorms are emotionally safe. They dont care about the money, that is why it works, they put the students first and that should be the point of all therapeutic schools. I wasnt planning on going to college before Carlbrook, I had gotten kicked out of my previous boarding school and was majorly addicted to drugs. Now i am here, i have been sober for 20 months, i have made the best friends i have ever had, friends that are based off of pure truth and love and what feeds my soul, not drugs or boyfriends or superficial nonsense, and in September I will be attending one of the best colleges in the Country. All because I simply trusted for a moment and let my family love me, and loved my family and let others hold me while i cried and danced with my inner child. I realized that everything that i have been searching for has been within me, i have let my mom be my mom and my dad be my dad because i understand how important i am to this world. Carlbrook made all this possible for me to find and discover. Honsetly people that bash this place are just afraid of letting their children go, who dont beleive in going back and facing what eats them alive everyday, people that dont trust...But i understand it is hard and many families think this way before Carlbrook. Its all about love and individual strength.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 12:23:00 AM »
Wow, sounds like its just like all the CEDU schools! And you sound just like half the jokes that graduated from CEDU. We'll see how ya feel in a few more months when it hits ya that that beautiful "experience" is the furthest thing from reality you could've possibly imagined while you were living it. Enjoy!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »
this girl can't be serious i mean honestly, this has to be someone just fucking around. nobody since brandon mcneely has gotten that brainwashed...

On 2005-08-21 19:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I just graduated from Carlbrook in July 2005, and honsetly, coming on this website and reading your replys about Carlbrook made me want to vomit. This school was the best thing that has ever happened to me and my family. I found out how important I am, and how what I was doing to my body, my heart, my mind was against everything that is simply true about me. Carlbrook does not beleive in fixing anybody, because they beleive in the theory that no one is broken, it is true. It is not a place where they lock kids up, it is a place where lost kids can find out what they want out of this life, to apologize to themselves for betraying love, truth and their hearts. This school has been my home for the past 17 months, it has been the most powerful experience. Yes, a lot of the student are in charge of things like a student body government, a committee where older students are bigs brothers and big sisters to new students who feel so completly and utterly uncomfortable, there are prefects where the students are making sure the dorms are emotionally safe. They dont care about the money, that is why it works, they put the students first and that should be the point of all therapeutic schools. I wasnt planning on going to college before Carlbrook, I had gotten kicked out of my previous boarding school and was majorly addicted to drugs. Now i am here, i have been sober for 20 months, i have made the best friends i have ever had, friends that are based off of pure truth and love and what feeds my soul, not drugs or boyfriends or superficial nonsense, and in September I will be attending one of the best colleges in the Country. All because I simply trusted for a moment and let my family love me, and loved my family and let others hold me while i cried and danced with my inner child. I realized that everything that i have been searching for has been within me, i have let my mom be my mom and my dad be my dad because i understand how important i am to this world. Carlbrook made all this possible for me to find and discover. Honsetly people that bash this place are just afraid of letting their children go, who dont beleive in going back and facing what eats them alive everyday, people that dont trust...But i understand it is hard and many families think this way before Carlbrook. Its all about love and individual strength.

"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 04:30:00 AM »
Now now... come on, people. Be nice.

For one, I think it's great that you are going to college. That's good. Sometimes these schools can put us in better situations after we graduate. That was my experience with RMA, and I'll never put it down for that, even though the school was totally screwed up.

However, a word of warning. Be wary of trying to use what you have learned at this school and apply it to the real world. You may be disappointed, and you may alienate potential friends by trying to act the way you did in college like you did at Carlbrook. My advice for your freshman year of college, watch what other people do, pay attention to how other people behave in social situations, and REFRAIN from judging them based off of what you have learned at your old school, because it may be incorrect. Just as long as it doesn't do any harm to you personally, keep an open mind. (But protect yourself too, obviously, I mean, don't be stupid, you know?)

I know you have talked about how wonderful it was to get in touch with your inner child. Now it is time to move on and focus on the outer adult. (And have fun, too. I mean, this IS college, after all!)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 04:34:00 AM »
Holy crap, Tim Brace. He was running RMA when I was there. I wonder if he's still as totally hyper as he was back then.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »
R. Grant Price, B.A., M.A.
Dean of Faculty

I believe that Grant is a Cascade School Alumn.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »
On 2005-08-22 17:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

"R. Grant Price, B.A., M.A.

Dean of Faculty

I believe that Grant is a Cascade School Alumn."

Oh ok, so Price is dean of faculty and Brace is dean of students. What's the difference, exactly? I thought dean of students had more direct interaction with the students.

Offline RMA_PG_63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »
I think that it is great that you had a good experience.  Not to many on this site have. But some of the things said are true.  The school doesn't prepare you for the real world very well.  You will have to learn that everthing that is taught to you isn't alwats for everyone.  Most people will think your crazy if you tell them all about your time at the school. Especially if you use the lingo. I talking from experience.  The first few months i did great then i hit rock bottom cause i felt like no one understood me and all they wanted to do was party. right now you might think that you have to only hang out with people that support you but you will find that most people your age want to try things.  that is what we do. and that is how we learn.  I fell into the whole if you can't beat them join them.  As you get older it will become easier.  quit a few people on this site do not like what i say but i am glad to see some one else that doesn't hate this type of school.  i didn't always like it and it was hard and painfull. but i got aalot from it and i am better person now because of it.
MA peer group 63

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »
On 2005-08-21 21:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"this girl can't be serious i mean honestly, this has to be someone just fucking around. nobody since brandon mcneely has gotten that brainwashed...

No, I think she's as serious as a heart attack. Fact is, people get this brainwashed every damned day. Thanks for noticing, though. Maybe if more people would notice fewer would fall for the bullshit.

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism.
--Albert Einstein, German-born American physicist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »
Sticks and stones, Ginger, one might just as well say that you're brainwashed yourself with your relentlessly negative view of these schools.  Believing something strongly is not the same as being brainwashed.

That girl sounded happy, enthusiastic, caring, intelligent, forward-looking and grateful.  All of which I seldom see among your typical fornit posters (who you define as clear thinking and free of any kind of brainwashing).

Offline puma046

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 09:03:00 PM »
Hey I'm happy for her if she's happy. Why rain on her parade? CEDU may be a pretty bad reflection of reality, but it is a real place, and just like any real place, everyone's experience is DIFFERENT. That's the main problem with fornits. It's not people being negative because in all honesty you need that kind of balance to keep things interesting. The problem is people around here try too hard to force their beliefs on others. I've been guilty of it myself a few times. Maybe it's because all we see are words and not the faces and emotions behind them.

All I know is that things really started looking up for me once I figured out how to differentiate who I  really am from who boulder creek tried so hard to make me become. Now I can just pick and choose the best of both worlds and it's smooth sailing baby!

Offline mad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 10:04:00 AM »
To the woman who graduated from Carlbrook:  Hi, I graduated from RMA in 1993.  Our experiences at our respective schools sounds in many ways similar and I too went to college shortly after being graduated from RMA.  My college experience remains one of the high points of my life.  However, I suggest that you contemplate finding a good psychotherapist within the next year.  My first year out of RMA was, in nearly all respects, great.  Beginning my second year though was tough.  I had made some good friends in college and was certainly having fun and involved in campus life, but there was a big part of me that missed the intimacy I had shared with people in my RMA peer group and with some staff.  There was emotional closeness with others on which I had come to rely and that feeling was simply lacking for me after graduation.  Added to that was that my peer group members were scattered across the Country and staff members were focused on new students.  It had been very painful and I had felt abandoned -- more aptly, a piece of me felt as if it were missing.  It was existential in its intensity.  After about 18 months I started therapy (I went to the college counseling center).  At the time I had felt like a failure.  I mean I had had a ton of therapy for nearly 3 years while at RMA, how much more did I need?  The pain I felt though was just too big to live with and was certainly greater than any shame I felt about seeking out therapy.  In retrospect it was a good decision.  I spent a little over two years in therapy integrating my RMA experience into my life outside the school.  I had to find a way to use what I had learned in a way that was tenable ? not overwhelming ? to my new friends. It seemed to work.  My experience was contrary to the those that some on here have shared, I found that people were drawn to me, in part because of the qualities I learned at RMA (trust, forgiveness, honesty etc.).  However, the context of college was very different from the residential treatment of RMA and had to be adapted to the new environment.  If you would like to talk/write further about this let me know (send a private message).  Best, M
n the road of experience...