Author Topic: Write to Dr. Phil!!  (Read 15106 times)

Offline habibi

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« on: November 24, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »
:eek: Oh my God!  I just finished watching the Dr. Phil Show and he is sending a young girl with RAD to Provo Canyon!  In his words Provo Canyon "has a proven track record of helping young people..."
The parents are desperate and clueless, of course, and agreed right away.  I'm going on the warpath!  To watch the show go to http://www.drphil.com.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »
What is RAD?

How did they pay him off?

Why doesn't Oprah just eat him?

The time appears to me to have come when it is the duty of all to make their dissent from religion known.
--John Stuart Mill

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 05:32:00 PM »
RAD is a psychological and neurological (although the psychological diagnosis "bible" only calls it psychological) disorder that occurs during the first three years of life when a child does not attach and bond properly to their primary caregiver. Fundamental processes do not occur during a child's first three years resulting in on-going rage, fear of attaching to anyone, lack of trust, an unusual effort to control everything in their lives, a lack of self worth, and an inability to fully comprehend cause and effect.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 05:33:00 PM »
The most blatant characteristics that some RAD children have include lying, stealing, physical rages (violence toward parents, usually mom, and belongings), cruelty toward pets and siblings, and an interest in blood and gore.

Some of the more insidious characteristics include manipulation (often very subtle), triangulation of adults, and an effort to control everyone and everything in their universe. To further complicate living with a RAD child, these behaviors are often not seen by anyone but the parents. The result is that family members, friends, teachers, neighbors, therapists, and others see a charming, compliant child. As a parent, you're perceived as incompetent, overly strict, or not loving enough.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »
On 2004-11-24 14:04:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"What is RAD?

How did they pay him off?

Why doesn't Oprah just eat him?

The time appears to me to have come when it is the duty of all to make their dissent from religion known.
--John Stuart Mill

"

Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
    • http://360.yahoo.com/cleopatra2u
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »
I found a web site about RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder): http://www.radkid.org/
he trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 06:37:00 PM »
So, why is Dr. dumbass here sending her AWAY to fix an ATTACHMENT disorder?

Being stripsearched, locked up, held down, fed awful food, humiliated, and constantly punished is going to make your brain trust anyone ever again?

I really, really, hate this stupidity right now. Some psycho-salesman on TV is trying to get people to buy his product and the TV viewers just gobble it all up, and I bet sometime soon there's going to be a fad of sending your kids away.

ARGH this is as dumb as the thread of the kid who got sent away for having sex as a teenager. WOW! Thats so unusual, having sex, and with a condom like mommy said!

There's no biochemical test to distinguish the so-called manic-depressive person from the elated or despondent football fan. Nor is there any resan to assume the manic-depressive's inner experience is driven by twisted molecules while the football fan's is driven, at worst, by twisted values
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312113668/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Dr. Peter Breggin, Toxic Psychiatry

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »
On 2004-11-24 15:37:00, Nihilanthic wrote:
So, why is Dr. dumbass here sending her AWAY to fix an ATTACHMENT disorder?

I'm wondering the same thing, Nihilanthic.  I perused the "What to Do" section of http://www.radkid.org/ and found information about this:

"EMDR, an acronym for ?eye movement desensitization and reprocessing,? is a clinical treatment that has only recently been found to be of help to some children with reactive attachment disorder."

EMDR sounds like a much more viable -- and safer -- alternative for this troubled child than Provo Canyon!

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 07:24:00 PM »
Okay, I just posted the following to the appropriate message board on Dr. Phil's web site (http://boards.drphil.com/WebX?14@@.f068cb3); hopefully it will make it past their moderator.  I got a lot of my references from the message forums here at Fornits -- thanks.

I feel for Terri and David, but I cannot believe that Dr. Phil suggested that their troubled teenage daughter be sent AWAY when the root cause of her problems is an ATTACHMENT disorder (Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)) -- and to Provo Canyon School, no less! Provo Canyon has a documented history of child abuse and is currently being petitioned to cease operations. (There is a very good article on page nine of the PDF document located at http://students.washington.edu/~ruckus/ ... 0_web.pdf; the petition can be found at http://www.beyondbusiness.net/closepcs.htm. Testimonials from some Provo Canyon alumni can be viewed by clicking on the link "The Undersigned" on the petition page.)
While Terri and David's daughter is probably too old, and possibly too dangerous, for many of the at-home treatment strategies suggested on the RAD website at http://www.radkid.org/getting_help.html (strong sitting, snuggle time, etc.), I believe that she is a good candidate for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy (EMDR). I strongly suggest that individual and family counseling, EMDR, craniosacral therapy (CST), and all other outpatient treatment strategies be attempted before committing such a child to any inpatient institution, boot camp, specialty school, or the like... And Provo Canyon should be avoided at all costs!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 08:13:00 PM »
thats why I dont watch Dr. Dumbass

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 04:16:00 AM »
It's hard to immagine that Dr. Phil would recommend a place like Provo Canyon School on National Television. I too wonder if he is getting paid for the add.  Provo Canyon School is currently trying to get any and all derogative information off of the web.  They have threatened to sue one host of a survivor web-site.  Many survivors have reported serious and illegal treatment and abuse such as prolonged isolation, forced drugging, stripping to humiliate, kickings, beatings, denial of medical care, denial of outdoor therapy for months as a form of punishment, isolation and seclusion for weeks as a form of punishment.

Provo Canyon School - Is not a school - it's worse than a prison. It is truly a Gulag School.  No one in their right mind should send a mentally ill or depressed child to Provo Canyon School because they ignor laws that are in place to protect the mentally ill from abuse.  

What makes matters worse is the fact that the authorities in Utah look the other way and do little to nothing when reports of abuse come in.

DR. PHIL  - "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?"

Our country right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be put right.
--Carl Schurz, German-born U.S. general and U.S. senator

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 06:00:00 AM »
and I bet sometime soon there's going to be a fad of sending your kids away.

There already is.  :scared:  :cry:

Offline habibi

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »
Guys, I have the email address of the girl's mother.  By the way, I was mistaken about something.  The daughter with RAD is 15, not 12.  Anyway, if I post her email here, does everybody promise to try to get through to her and her husband with compassion and diplomacy?  Her name is Terri.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »
On 2004-11-27 15:13:00, habibi wrote:

"Guys, I have the email address of the girl's mother.  By the way, I was mistaken about something.  The daughter with RAD is 15, not 12.  Anyway, if I post her email here, does everybody promise to try to get through to her and her husband with compassion and diplomacy?  Her name is Terri. "

It ain't gonna happen.  If you post it here it is public.  Anyone can read it and say what they like to them.  They will also get bombarded with spam.  I suggest you ask people to PM you for it.  Then you know who you are giving it to.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Write to Dr. Phil!!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »
Why don't you e-mail her and suggest that she do an internet search - please tell her to visit the site - http://www.beyondbusiness.net and look at the comments from survivors of Provo Canyon School. She can then e-mail some of the former parents and students who have posted their e-mail addresses on that site. Hopefully she will look at both sides before sending her daughter there.  
Dr. Phil needs to do his research.  Another problem with PCS is the fact that it is in Utah where there is massive political corruption with the teen industry. There are also lax rules and regulations and little to no governmental oversite. If the parents do have a problem they will have a difficult time finding anyone to help or listen.

If they can get you to ask the wrong questions they don't have to worry about the answers

--Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow (Proverbs for Paranoids)

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"