Author Topic: Any fond memories, lessons or other positive aspects of The  (Read 23481 times)

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
Any fond memories, lessons or other positive aspects of The
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2004, 05:06:00 PM »
Yes, I can understand anger, and it's justified. I just don't think we should abuse the person -

As far as the Seed being Third Reich-ish - that's all I used to think about on the Front Row. Until I was convinced that I was really worthless and needed the Seed to survive. Is there potential for abuse in this? Yes!

However, I hung around for a long time after my Front Row and came to really like some individuals. My 'interpretation' of what I was supposed to do became a little less black and white, and finally, I couldn't stay.

Do have good memories? Yes! Did I learn something about life, mainly by seeing how easily I and others were manipulated? Yup - would I send my own kid? Nope!

I do feel bad for anyone who suffered, and whose family was torn apart - so was mine, but mine was so disfunctional at that point I hardly noticed.

So the point is - your reality is yours, mine is mine - I don't want to be shouted down by anyone if I say something they don't agree with.  Otherwise it's like one of those phony Fox interviews where everyone's just yelling pointlessly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ally Gator

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »
Hey Wally,
  This reminds me of a conversation (read brawl) that happened on a drug policy reform list. A guy, who had just been threatened w/ a baseball bat by a Baptist minister for gathering MMJ petition signatures outside the polling place asked a question. And I, being what I am, answered it bluntly and litterally.

He asked why people got so utterly freaked out and violent over something like the sight of a pot leaf on a t-shirt or long hair and tie dye. (We're talking Jax cir. 1995 or so) My answer was that older conservatives, especially there in the Bible Belt, associate all of those symbols w/ Communism.

A brawl ensued! But it's still the truth. Not that only Communists are in favor of MMJ. In fact, most MMJ activists I know are either Libertarian or Republican. But that is the perception.

I think you can expect to strike a nerve w/ a lot of former Seedlings if you speak kindly of Art. To some, he and his little clique were real mosters.

Oh hey, btw. Helen Petterman's name springs to mind behind that. Ya'll might enjoy this.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... rt=0#18413

(it also sort of paralells what I was trying to say)

Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppression of both mind and body will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2004, 12:05:00 AM »
I was "asked to join The Seed" down in Broward, I had never heard of it and didn't have any idea what I was getting into. My parents put my brother and I in after they were informed from their kids that we were "druggies". So I spent 3 months in Broward before they opened up the seed in St. Pete. It seemed at the time that we filled that building up with all our friends from Lakewood High, sorry about that, but at least we knew everybody. I finished my program 4 months after that, and got on with the rest of my life, so far. All in all, the experience wasn't really that special or life changing, just another chapter.
I'm sure I got into drugs because "all my friends were doig it" and, "peer pressure". So through "peer pressure" at the seed I quit drugs. After getting off the program I had a choice again of where I wanted to go next I finished High School, started college, dropped out, jioned the Air Force, after finishing my stint I got married, 26 yrs now, raised a family, both in college now, and am enjoying suburban life living the american dream.
So that's my "Seed" experience not all that exciting all though I have alot of pictures in Lakewood's yearbook to remember all the Seedling's from. I took most of the pictures for the yearbook'73 and '74 and I only took pictures of my friends, Sorry. Later.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »
ANON, you have the 73 yearbook then we are old Seed inductees together. Your experience was common, the seed being a brief interlude. For others, and if you know who I am you will understand, it was much more profound than that.

Welcome and email me. I am very curious who you are.

[email protected]
[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2004-10-04 11:41 ]

Offline littlenicky

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2004, 03:08:00 PM »
Artist: Dave Matthews Band
Album: Crash
Title: Proudest Monkey

Swing in this tree
Oh I am bounce around so well
Branch to branch
limb to limb you see
all in a day's dream
I'm stuck
Like the other monkeys here
I am a humble monkey
Sitting up in here again
But then came the day
I climbed out of these safe limbs
Ventured away
walking tall...
head high and singing
I went to the city
car horns, corners, and the gritty
Now I am the proudest monkey
You've ever seen
Monkey see Monkey do, Yeah
Then comes the day
Staring at myself I turn to question me
I wonder do I want the simple, simple life that I once lived in well
Oh things were quiet then
In a way they were the better days
Now I am I am the proudest monkey
You've ever seen
Monkey see Monkey do, Yeah

Dave Mathews Band

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »
Nicky - When were you at the Seed?

Offline littlenicky

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »
?If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken?
 Rudyard Kipling

About a million years ago

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2004, 09:15:00 PM »
maybe it should be dippy nicky instead of little nicky

Offline ccgar61

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »
I went into the Seed in 1983 after being court order into a inhouse rehabilation program after a few felony arrests for narcotics and weapons vilolations.I was 22 years old at the time. I walked in scared thinking that all I had to do was keep to myself (work out alot, don't mess with anyone and no one will mess with you). I also thought that at least I did not have to wait for trail in the stockade which was a real human cess pool. I did not like my life or myself very much and in order to survive I had to numb myself from my overwhelming feelings with Coke Qualudes my drug of choice. It feels like this was another world and other life ago. The Seed gave me a chance to be reborn. Without getting into alot of talk. The Seed taught me how to think and live and be happy. I am glad I had that time in my life at the Seed and the good friends that I met.Some I still keep in contact with some. Was the Seed perfect? No it was not. Mistakes were made we were all too human.But overall the Seed game me the foundation in which I base my life on to this very day. I do not mind peoples opossing views as a matter a fact I welcome them they open my eyes to other peoples struggles and internal battles. After I left the Seed I went through good times bad times but all in all I moved forward adjusted and most importantly learned. I will never blame the Seed for my personal short comings or battles that I had to fight inside of myself these battles are mine and only mine. After finding this site and reading the posts I thought why even bother to post anything I know where I stand on this issue and I don't need to prove myself to anyone but myself but, after much thought I decided to let my voice be heard. To all those here I wish you the very best .

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
same to you, the best that is.

Along that line, to me the Seed was a very destructive force in my young life but I overcame all the negativity.

Today I have no left over problems to speak of short of hating sitting in groups and a healthy distrust of authority.

I do however find the subject fascinating, all sides of it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »
What I was before the Seed:

1.  A drug using, lost girl who had skipped 49 days of High School in 4 months, had 6 F's and one C (awarded by a druggie teacher) on her report card.
2.  A promiscuous 15-year-old girl, used by so many men she couldn't count, specifically men over the age of 20, to include a teacher, who was 30.
3.  A girl who had lost all the moral values her parents ever taught her and felt her life would never be turned around, which caused thoughts of suicide.
4.  A girl who had been "brainwashed" by a rebellious teen generation which told her that free sex was good, that she should "love the one you're with," and that drugs should be legalized.  Hmmm, let's see what happened to most of those cultural icons -- oh yeah, most of them are dead -- or are now conservative.

What happened after the Seed:

1.  After several weeks there, an actual "clearing" of my mind -- not brainwashing -- that allowed me to regain a sense of moral conscience.  Part of this was getting away from old habits and destructive music.
2.  An actual sense that I could have value without a relationship with a guy.  I actually had a sense of sexual purity when I left the program.
3.  I will admit, a very difficult return to High School, which ended up strengthening my character, and allowing me to stand up for my beliefs later in life.
4.  I remember knowing outsiders thought we were in a cult and being brainwashed.  We used to think that was funny, because many of us were having the time of our lives, especially as oldcomers and oldtimers.
5. I remember some of the best friendships I've ever had being formed, while we extended our "rap" sessions to Denney's (or was it Sambo's?) into the wee hours of the morning.  
6.  I remember a bunch of us taking ballroom dancing lessons and actually enjoying it!
7.  I remember really fun softball tournaments and parties in Tarpon Springs.
8.  I remember becoming really good at a sport, which gave me physical confidence I never had before.  My best Seed friend and I played this sport all the time and had a blast.
9.  I remember having my first boyfriend (also a Seedling) who respected me and my new-found purity.  We actually dated without having sex -- what a concept!
10.  I remember a new-found love for learning, which netted two years on the H.S. Dean's list, one year on the Junior college Dean's list, and then completion of a four-year university ON TIME with my peers.
11.  I remember my Dad getting "straight" from Open Meetings.  He was so inspired by us, he quit drinking.  Hmmm, he was an aerospace engineer and West Point graduate.  Was he "brainwashed?"
12. I was commissioned as an Army officer and had a successful career, to include achieving two Master's degrees, one in business, and one in Journalism from UNC-Chapel Hill.
13.  I fondly appreciate my "rap" experience at the Seed, because I am able to help others by relating to them in a way most other people can't or won't.  Also, I have no fear of public speaking, which made me absolutely love being a Media Relations officer in the Army.  I also love public speaking and have been asked to speak at several events.
14. I'm married to a great guy, have five beautiful children, live in a lovely house, am involved in many community activities, and in my church.  I think the Seed really screwed me up, don't you?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »
:nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »
To Anon above with two Master's degrees? how many years did u live at the seed compound? how many years did u live in the host homes with the girls? how many years did go into group raps? how many times did u ask if you could go out with someone (and were denied the right) how many times did u ask to get a certain job or career (and were denied the choice)? just curious if ur experience was different because u might not have lived at the compound for too many years?  glad to here you are very successful. . . if you did visit did u feel like u were place in a fishbowl while you were there?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2004, 11:06:00 AM »
Host ???  Compound  ????

Offline littlenicky

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2004, 11:30:00 AM »
Good post Anon,