Author Topic: Recommendation List  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Sid Vicious

• View Profile
Recommendation List
« on: July 14, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »
Let's get a list of schools/facilities that people here recommend. I see alot of trashing which is great but we're not giving anyone much alternative.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ou\'re so pretty you\'re vacunt

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Recommendation List
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 01:03:00 AM »
Re: previous poat on alternatives

Don't know much about alternative.  Here are my issues with CEDU:

--Real educators
--Real outdoor program
--private therapy
--Maybe some edifying worshops but the abusive, heavyhanded part of it
--chores were good
---Training gor staff re:individuating tharapeutic practices; actually challenge yourself to reach the child profoundly
--free talk was good--no snooping on calls to folks or letters!
--bans as a last resort not for stupid stff
--male staff can't out act their own drama on you
--Far fewer groups--yelling intherapy; in group,discuss issues and say whay you gotta say if its important be direct about it and move on.
--Tools for real world life
Set up you next situation carefully, such as where you'll live, how will you deal with your roommates of family and othr dysfunction, get some goals for yourself for the outside

I am not aware of the positive places so please let me know!

This is a way oversimplified explantion.  THere are a lot worse stuff that happended, but this is just your quick oats list

Offline Sid Vicious

• View Profile
Recommendation List
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 10:13:00 AM »
But there are plenty of people complaining about this program or that program on this site. I was hoping to have this thread actually recommend some places where the gestapo tactics weren't used. Are there any such places? We as a community should try to provide this. We can't just offer a bunch of criticism without offering alternatives.
ou\'re so pretty you\'re vacunt

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Recommendation List
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »
The National Guard operates the Challenge programs in many different states. These programs are for teens over 16, who have dropped out of school. The program structure is the same in all states, and it focuses on GED preparation and work skills. The program includes a 5 months residential phase, followed by a 12 months "mentorship".

The residential phase begins with a two-weeks orientation, during which communication between the students and his/her family is allowed only through letters (communication is not restricted in any other parts of the program). The residential phase includes community service, classes in various subjects, such as civics and government, social awareness, etc., GED classes, and vocational classes in subjects such as woodworking, electricity, etc. At the end of the residential phase, students take the GED. Many of them also earn vocational certificates.

Each student is also paired with a mentor. The mentor must be an adult who is not a family member, but who resides in the student's community and can keep in regular contact with the student. During the 12 months after the program, students are supposed to find employment or go to school (that is the program's definition of "success"-- a student who is engaged in meaningful employment or who is in school).

These programs are controlled and operated by the National Guard, but there is no commitment to military service (if students do choose to join the military, however, they will be taken as Tier I recruits (HS grads) and not Tier II (GED receipients), which allows them a greater range of positions to choose from). These programs are also entirely voluntary. They do not accept court ordered students, and during the application process, each student must sign documents stating that he/she is entering the program by choice.

What I know about the Challenge programs leads me to believe that they are beneficial, and that they are not concentration camps in disguise like many other programs.

More information can be found here: http://www.ngycp.org/

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Recommendation List
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »
The National Guard programs are good!  They will NOT hold anyone captive! Teens have to want to be there!

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Recommendation List
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »
Them programs ain't fer shit, ya jackass! :flame:

Send 'em to me and I'll WHIP 'EM!! I'll  the goddam drugs right outta their little ASSES!!!! :rofl:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Recommendation List
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 05:07:00 PM »
On 2004-07-15 09:14:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The National Guard programs are good!  They will NOT hold anyone captive! Teens have to want to be there!

"

How many teens WANT to be in a program???  Ever heard of NEED, over WANT?!?

Let's just give them what they want ... lol

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Recommendation List
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »
That's right! You're goddamn right! Y' gotta whip they're fukkin little asses or they'll never learn. What's it gonna take fer yew fukkin' moronz to realize y' need t' send them little fuckers down to me n' my shack? Well they say yew kin lead a horse t' wutter...but SHIT! Yew mutherfukkers are jes about as dumb as ditchwutter!

Anyone who has any damn sense at all will email me RIGHT NOW at:

[email protected]