Author Topic: Wilderness Similar to Marine Basic Training  (Read 993 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Wilderness Similar to Marine Basic Training
« on: July 13, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »
A doctor speaks about basic training for marine recruits. Notice the similarities to Wilderness programs.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/351/1/3

Excerpts:
Within a few weeks, I started to get a sense of what I would see clinically. The first thing to ask a recruit is "What training day are you?" You can usually guess the final diagnosis on the basis of this information. Basic training includes 2 "intake days," 5 "forming days," and 70 "training days." The kids who come into the emergency room on an intake day are usually there with slapstick stuff: someone breaks his arm stepping off the bus, another knocks himself out by running into a wall. Not a good beginning.

During the forming days (also known as "disorientation"), the drill instructors (DIs) introduce themselves and make the first real demands on recruits. This is when the weeding-out process begins. The earliest to go are the kids who've hidden a significant medical history, anything from asthma to bad knees. These are "fraudulent enlistments." When they get into trouble, the DIs send them to us to sort out. One kid sent in for "weakness" told me he would be fine if he could just restart his medications.

"What medications?"

"Zyprexa, Prozac, Buspar, and Ambien for sleep."

"And they let you in here? Did your recruiter know about this?"

"My dad told me not to tell him."

I looked at him. "What does your father do?"

"He's career Navy."

"And he told you not to say anything?"

The kid looked sheepish. "He thought this might make a man of me."

That first week, the kids meet the Third Hat ? usually the most junior of the DIs, who has been described as "a maniacal, sadistic, extremist psychopath whose name you, the recruit, will never forget." His job is to ensure that once a recruit becomes a Marine, he will not crack up, become insubordinate, or "go postal" at a critical moment. Obviously, the Third Hat doesn't accomplish this feat by being soft-spoken. And it's because of him, I presume, that I see the other common complaints of early training ? chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, weakness. The diagnosis invariably is "panic attack," but these are ferocious panic attacks: heart rates of 180, respiratory rates of 50, carpopedal spasm, and ? worst of all ? tears. Seeing a 6-ft 4-in., 250-lb former high school football star hyperventilating, sobbing, and begging to be sent home is an unsettling experience. And what exactly should I do for him?

I have two roles here: doctor and member of the Marine training team. My usual remedies, benzodiazepines and reassurance, aren't really adequate for this situation.

The final stage of boot camp, the Crucible, is a 54-hour mental and physical gauntlet. It consists of combat exercises, forced marches, and "warrior stations."

Oddly enough, we don't get too many injuries at this stage; most of the kids are smarter about dodging blows. What we do see are kids who are end-stage sick, with double pneumonia, grapefruit-size abscesses, appendicitis. These guys will do anything now to see this thing through. By this time, a recruit has become invested ? invested in making it with his fellow recruits, invested in proving the Third Hat wrong, invested in just getting the whole damn thing over with. One kid came in with fulminating Guillain?Barré and dropped out only when he became apneic.

The final stage of the Crucible, a nine-mile hike, is dedicated to the men of Easy Company who in 1944 fought their way to the top of Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima and planted an American flag.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »
Deborah---many programs have made a misguided attempt to copy military boot camp.

It would be equally misguided to say that this training is *in*appropriate for the making of soldiers.

The military's reason for doing boot camp the way they do is to somewhat simulate combat in war, at a very relatively gentle level.  Navy SEAL training and selection, BUDS, comes much closer in its simulation of combat.

The military does this because if they sort out the people who would likely die right away in combat and *don't* make those people soldiers, then fewer American lives are lost when our soldiers have to fight.

Other than *purpose*, the military has a number of significant differences from the Programs

1) The military only takes adults, and only volunteers.  The exception, 17 year olds, is that parents have to *agree* to their 17 year old enlisting---but they can't *force* him to enlist.

2) The military makes every effort not to put people through boot camp, and on the road to being soldiers, if they have a health problem that would make boot camp unduly hazardous to their health.

3) The military makes every effort not to take the mentally ill or (despite what some less informed folks may think) the criminal.

4) If you are in boot camp, and you decide you don't want to be a soldier after all, the military is usually more than happy to discharge you "for the good of the service" *before* they spend a lot of money training you to do a particular job in the next stage of training after boot camp.

5) In the real military, boot camp lasts a finite amount of time, and even though you may be able to be cycled back through if injury prefents you from completing boot camp *and you still want to be a soldier*, there is no way in hell anyone is going to spend an indefinite time back in boot camp.

Some things that are perfectly appropriate for adults are disastrous for children.  Sex is one.  Real military boot camp is another.

I'm unconvinced that *fake* military boot camp has anything at all to recommend it for anyone.

Timoclea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 03:07:00 PM »
er...prevents

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 04:05:00 PM »
One thing that I could never understand is the reason so many programs try to imitate the boot camp setting, and the reason so many people consider appropriate for children. All military branches plan their boot camps and other training courses with one result in mind: producing individuals who possess the skills to handle a war, fight, and win.

We do not send 14, 15, 16 year-olds to wars. No one expects them to pick up a rifle and head off to Iraq. Why should they be trained in a military setting? Why should any sort of "boot camp" be operated in the civlian sector?

Boot camps are a military development used for military purposes. They have no place in the civilian world.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 06:35:00 PM »
Agreed.

Timoclea

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 05:47:00 AM »
These boot camps have had many reports of abuse, sexual assault, and some children have died. Parents should be better informed about the dangers of these wilderness programs.  Unfortunately web-sites are deceptive. These programs are big money makers and the government is allowing them to proliferate. Something must be done to stop this.  More children will die as a result.  

Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?
-- Patrick Henry