Author Topic: Straight Haircuts  (Read 2809 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Straight Haircuts
« on: July 24, 2002, 02:39:00 AM »
When I came into the program, my hair hung down right about to the point between the shoulderblades you just cannot scratch no matter what.  It had taken me quite awhile to get it to grow that long.  I used to even curl it back against itself  and pin it into a ducktail with bobby pins like the "Fonz" when I was around the house so that my mom would'nt notice and make me get a haircut.  I was so burned out on being poor, and  living with a single mother and 3 sisters on foodstamps that I passed for 18 and bought cigarettes and beer for myself no problem.  The folks at the neighborhood gas station had known me for buying gas for my lawn mowing jobs for years and never once asked for an I.D. and I tacked alot of that on account of my wildass hair.  I had signed myself into the program voluntarily so I could live with my dad and reap the benefits of his superior income, only to find out at my first "Homes Rap" that she had been conned into putting me in under a Court Order and that did not set very well with me.  Upon being told that I was not eligible for Talk until after 14 days, I promptly became a world class "jerk." The only thing that I did to comply in those first few weeks, was to agree to have my hair cut.  Back then in Milton Roy, girls 4th phase and up were allowed to cut guy's hair.  I stood in line with the rest of the guys and they had 4 or 5 girls with safety scissors cutting guys hair like we were going in the Marines or something.  This enormous cross eyed girl started hacking away on mine, and by the grace of god, she managed to cut my ear and make it bleed.  She was pulled away and a more talented girl took over.  I believe her name was Jean Trienan or something like that.  She managed to salvage what was left of my hair into a decent looking cut.  After witnessing the mangling of my ear, about 3 guys asked to go back to their seats!!!!  I agreed to get a haircut mainly for the chance to finally be near a girl, really.  I know alot of other guys jumped on it for the chance to look like they were "straighter" and therefore deserved Talk & Responsibility or Home or whatever, but my motives were more basic. Also, with the ungodly heat in that warehouse, I felt it was better to 'feel cool' than to 'look cool.'  That first haircut lasted until the second haircut when we had moved to the Morgan Yacht Building.  By then, it had progressed to where we actually had stools with armrests and the girls that cut hair were either 5th phase, or staff and even had electric clippers!  Jenny Sykes cut my hair and did a damn good job of it.  Hey Marnie, if your still out there, did she ever pursue that as a career?  She was damn good, but I never gave her a tip, cuz 1st phasers were not allowed to have any money!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 10:07:00 AM »
I had forgotten about that first haircut. My hair wasnt even that long, but they shure did shear it down.., at least it was some nice lady cutting it - it was one of the first  things they did and I actually chatted with her - she must have been thinking that this kid has no clue what he's in for... at least I didn't get my ear cut. OW!

Offline Marnie

• View Profile
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 10:36:00 AM »
Yes I do remember the haircuts - Jeanne Treinen was Jennie's Best Firend for a vey long time - Do you remember the Lice Treatment? (Gasoline)? - I volunteered to help with that....which meant I got to tough the guys hair - I think I had a crush on eveyone back then .  No Jennie did not persue hair - she persued having 4 kids

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 10:57:00 AM »
I remember the first straight hair cut also, except ours weren't voluntary.  We were led to the intake room where our hair was hacked with dull shears.  I however only really had bangs and the rest cut pretty short so my hair cut consisted of them pulling my bangs straight up in the air and with one clip of the shears...poof I was practically bald.  The official straight answer for the hack jobs was to help with our vanity issues. (And with my previous hair do you all can imagine how vain I was) Needless to say they still tried to put hair dodads in my hair because I guess all the girls were supposed to.  Only I had no hair to attach them to so motivating hard enough to make them fly across the group room became a hobby (hey I was really bored.)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2002, 12:06:00 PM »
:wink: That pic is a couple of years old, as I don't like to put recent kid pics online publicly.

I just found your posts, have a lot of catching up to do in these forums. Good to see you've found us. Welcome!
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 03:05:00 PM »
This is how the forum used to be.  This was only 9 months ago.  It can be this way again.  I've been a jerk lately, and the 85 Day Jerk will always be a part of me.  I'm just glad that I don't turn green and start breaking shit.  My being a jerk was my way of coping with a hostile environment that defied reality back on my program.  It may seem funny at first but my acid tongue has cost me countless relationships by emotionally devastating women that try to get close to me.  I just wanted to throw this post back into rotation so we can all catch our breaths and just relax for a spell.

We walked in darkness, kept hitting the walls
I took the time to feel for the door
I had been treated, but what the hell for?

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2003-04-06 12:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2003-04-06 12:11 ]
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline ehm

• View Profile
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2003, 03:51:00 PM »
I understand what you're trying to do. My first haircut was horrible. For a girl, I guess I had short hair because most of the girls that came in had really long hair, but the longest part of my hair was my bangs. My precious bangs! They hung down to my chin. For group I would tie them back, otherwise they really got in the way trying to motivate-Yipes, that's a scary word. Does anyone ever try to show someone you know that knows NOTHING about Straight what motivating is? I have once or twice and they just stand there in shock!  
So they made me cut them, and I had the worst hair-cut in the world. Not to mention no hairgel or hairdryer, I was screwed. I looked like a mushroom. It was not :smokin:  "cool."
Morli

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2003, 03:57:00 PM »
I was in the St. Pete building when I got my first and ONLY Straight hair cut. Once on 2nd Phase my dad cut my hair and after I got on third phase professionals did it.

When I first came in my hair was just over my collar and parted on the side and feathered back on one side.  

To my knowledge a parent mom cut my hair.  I didn't have too much of a problem getting it cut but I secretly wished I could keep it long.

When I got home I saw the results of that haircut and about went nuts.  This lady hacked up my hair so bad it looked like Edward Scissor Hands on acid did it.

My Oldcomers thought it was a little funny  :flame:

I was eventually sat down when the Staff realized that I wasn't going to change my story.

After I left Staff  :wave: I let my hair grow the longest it's ever been.  From April 1984 to September 1985 I didn't let anyone touch my hair.  

On my first visit to the group it was probably down over my collar.  By my second and final visit to the building it was a little over my shoulders. When all was said and done it was resting about 3-4 inches below my shoulders.  My mom hated it and my Aunt Mary Lou asked my parents if I had relapsed because I looked like a druggie.  Boy that hurt :cry2:

Today I am bald and wish I could get it back and let it grow out all over again.  I know some people who have hair like mine and have whats left grown long but it looks stupid to me.

Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2003, 06:34:00 PM »
At GULAG 5515 it was like, "OK boy, time to shave that mustache and cut that hair." I had been shaving since I was 13 in military school and after I graduated, I let it grow. My hair had gotten about a foot long in the back and poof, all gone, like a crew cut for the duration of that program. Jeez, as soon as I 7th stepped I stopped shaving the upper lip and never have shaved it since. I burned it pretty bad last year in a little fire accident, but it grew back just fine...LOL... Hair has thinned over the years but I still let it grow till summer and then it comes off. I think the barber there at the gulag was a parent, not a licensed barber.
MG8 :smokin:

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »
At GULAG 5515 it was like, "OK boy, time to shave that mustache and cut that hair." I had been shaving since I was 13 in military school and after I graduated, I let it grow. My hair had gotten about a foot long in the back and poof, all gone, like a crew cut for the duration of that program. Jeez, as soon as I 7th stepped I stopped shaving the upper lip and never have shaved it since. I burned it pretty bad last year in a little fire accident, but it grew back just fine...LOL... Hair has thinned over the years but I still let it grow till summer and then it comes off. I think the barber there at the gulag was a parent, not a licensed barber.
MG8 :smokin:

Offline pepper53190

• View Profile
    • http://queenjennifer.com
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2003, 07:08:00 PM »
I had stragely looking hair when I went in. A staff member told me I might look better if I cut my hair, being he was a guy, I chopped my waist length hair to my shoulders.  When I was finally able to put gunk in it 2nd pahse I think, it had grown past my shouldrs.  My hair has never been the same.  It grew curly and awesome.  I think it was cause I never really put anything in it.  who knows, I'm sure no one really cares.  There was a phase where all the girls shaved ther heads half way up and left the rest long.  It was stupi looking.  Guys weren't allowed to shave cause it looked "druggie".  I heard of a few getting restained to get there's cut, but never saw it.

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2003, 10:50:00 PM »
I was made to shave my moustache too.  They said it was a druggie image.  Yeah right.

I started growing my moustache the day I was placed on a two-week leave of absence on Staff.  Part of my "rebel year."  I still have it to this day as a reminder that I actually did do some rebeling against Straight.

Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
Straight Haircuts
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2003, 10:02:00 AM »
Told me I had to shave my moustache and when I did they made fun of me a called me a "Kiss-Ass."

CL