Author Topic: various people I'm remembering from Atlanta  (Read 15060 times)

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
various people I'm remembering from Atlanta
« on: July 23, 2002, 02:06:00 PM »
Anyone else remember Miles Nieberline (sp?)?  I recall him telling a story about how he downed some strychnine in an experiment on himself and ended up in a hospital.  He was truly a character.

What about Dennis, the guy who stabbed someone in group to get out of Straight?  He ended up in the YDC down the road from the program.  My brother worked there and told me about it later (another story).

Also, there was a staff member, female, with long brown hair in 83-84 whose name I can't remember.  Really high strung person, mean in fact, used to talk about shooting up speed and stuff.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 11:20:00 AM »
I remember Miles and Dennis both. Knew Dennis pretty well, but not Miles. Was Susan the name of the staff member? There were two Susan's. One was a Sr. with black hair and the other a Jr. with reddish-brown hair and freckles. Both were high strung and it was easy to get on their bad side. I know the Sr. was much heavier into drugs, but they both were junkies.

CL

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 01:59:00 PM »
Susan with the reddish brown hair.  I always knew to avoid talking in her groups.  She had a special dislike for some us.  

It was sometimes difficult to keep from laughing whenever Miles spoke.  I always had the feeling he was playing a joke on everyone but only a few people knew it.

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 04:13:00 PM »
That was Susan G. I think she had a thing for me so I was pretty safe in her raps. The thing about Miles you hit right on the head and made me break a smile remembering.

CL

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2002, 06:44:00 PM »
On 2002-07-24 13:13:00, ClayL wrote:
That was Susan G. I think she had a thing for me so I was pretty safe in her raps. The thing about Miles you hit right on the head and made me break a smile remembering.

CL

Yeah, that's her.  I think she had a thing for me too.  That is, I think she couldn't stand me.  haha...

I remember Miles talking about how he and some buddies synthesized LSD once.  Of course, he felt really bad about it and all....  I also remember he was in college when he got thrown in Straight.  Was like a chemistry major or something?

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2002, 11:25:00 AM »
Yep! Miles was digustingly intelligent.

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2002, 06:37:00 PM »
I'm wondering about what happened to several people...Letha Yost, Nancy Ellmann, Alicia Crabtree, Tylene Freeman, Teresa Swoop, Eve Gee, a girl named Stacey, Michelle Wagner and her brother...Whatever happened to that guy Dennis, who stabbed Chad Kennimore in the chest? Isn't it weird that Chad came back to group after that whole ordeal? Just wondering.
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2002, 02:53:00 PM »
I only recognized a couple of names from your post.  Alicia Crabtree is one.  Can't remember what she looked like though.  

When Dennis stabbed Chad, he ended up in the Marietta Youth Detention Center (so did I eventually haha) and at the time my older brother was working there as a counselor.  He said Dennis ended up being sent to Milledgeville, Ga. prison for young adults.

Do you remember Paige Ivy?

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2002, 09:46:00 PM »
Yeah, I remember going to her house in Marietta near Post Oak Tritt Rd. and that she had a brother named Chris. She was REALLY young, like maybe 11 or so?
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2002, 10:43:00 AM »
Ran into Letha about 6 years ago. It was an NA dance in Doraville, GA. It was a new years eve party. I believe that Chris I. went on a date with Stacey ? while they were 5th phase trainee's. They got narc'd out by one of the other persons on the date and started over. Do not know what happened from there as I had graduated and this was reliable second hand info.

CL

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2002, 01:37:00 PM »
I went to school with Chris I. before Straight, and I knew his sister Paige too.  I think she was actually about 13 when she went in, because I was 15 and I'm pretty sure she was 2 yrs younger.  I have no idea why she was put in Straight.  She was really a nice kid.  Maybe she smoked pot a few times or something.  I wish I knew what happened to those people.

Offline marika708

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2002, 03:11:00 PM »
I was there 1983-1984 time frame (I remember Alicia Crabtree very well)

I was the one everyone tormented because I had worked as a model prior to coming there,  One leader in particular, I can't remember anything except that she wanted to drive a saab, constantly ragged me about that.

I also remember watching the guys come out from the bathroom incident.

This is my first post, I would welcome anyone's response, thanks.
arika
Atlanta \'83-\'84

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2002, 03:33:00 PM »
Hi Marika, I was there during the same period of time.  I really don't remember a lot of faces (it's been a long time and I've had to meet 10,000 or so other people since then!) but it's always good to hear from other people who were there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2002, 01:35:00 AM »
Howdy,

I remember Miles quote well, I was from his hometown, Huntsville Alabama. I remember Alicia, Paige, Chad virtually all of the names mentioned.

I was set back from fithphase trainee to a fourth phase refresher after the great bathroom incident of 1985. I was interned between 1983-1985. I withdrew twice, the second time just after the setback from trainee.

Does anyone know what happened to the Ambrose family from Gainesville Ga?

How about the Morrow family? Allan and his sister.

Or Mike Cullinane? Alan Brown? Tim Brown? Dana and Mike Housley? Jim Fraser? Steve Koss?

Hey Kosmonaut- I am in Sacto, and I would like to meet you, I will drive to SF to meet up. Please contact me at [email protected] thanks!

James Lloyd

I was enrolled as Jim Lloyd, and my sister Cecile Lloyd was also a client.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2002, 02:34:00 AM »
more names:

Scott Wyatt - ending up being convicted for murder in a drug deal gone bad. Also involved was a sibling of another client. To the best of my knowledge Scott is still in a Alabama prison. John Moncrief and I helped Scott's parents put him back into the cult at their request. I live in fear that Scott will track me down and kill me.

Scott Nalls - Ended up beating the heck out of me at a bowling alley in 1987. He had been restrained while I was a trainee, and he decided that it was my fault.  I heard that he went to jail some time later and someone cut off one of his gonads.

John Moncreif(sp?) - A Huntsvillian

Christy ? Carried on a torrid 'romance' With Rob- a very short person. Rob was in the Bathroom with us, I was the Trainee in the bathroom.

Monty Bingham- the Sr. Staffer who sent me into the bathroom with the instructions to do 'whatever it takes, no matter what, to make these little shits change'

Dean K - From Pauleys Island, had some serious injuires to his leg adn arm from a fire/drug related incident.

Ashley Kilpatrick -

Rusty Binghamton(sp) - Was from Jacson Ms. along with the Moore's

Nevis McAllister- another hunstville person

Chris Mazur- made it to Sr. her mother and father provided crackpot psychiatric services to the cult

ann crow - can be found at http://www.anncrow.com she is a real estate agent now, what a move from "goddess of recovery"

There was one guy from Tupelo Ms. He was not the brighest light in the group, his name is on the tip of my tongue but can't get it out...aha - I just recalled it Bryson was his first name, I think his last name was smith.

Tim Brown- Mentioned him before, but on a salient point-they lived in a mobile home in way out in Cummings? His father threatened newcomers with a gun- he told me that he would shoot me in the leg if I tried to escape his home.

Daryl?? - he was heavy set, and struggling with his effeminate nature- I think he was from Cummings

Vanessa ? - Hunstville, I lived with her and Alan Brown and a few others in a one bedrom apt with no power for a few weeks or months after I left the final time- we did a great deal of partying, it was very cultish with Alan holding court over our all night trips.
We listened to behind blue eyes by the who , over an over.

Alan Brown- Claimed to be the very first intake in Atlanta, said the old A&P was his shooting gallery, that he crawled in one day to shoot up and found the straightlings, they took him in, he was on his phases for 36 months when they finally let him out. Alan and Tim came to find me in Huntsville a couple of years later, they cheated me out of some money in a deal gone bad, when they left I noticed that Tim had a very large knife in his pants- had I argued with them they would have stabbed me- I am sure.

Dana and Mike Housley ( sheridan) - I lived with them after I left the last time, for a few weeks or days. Then I went and stayed with Alan and Vanessa.

Jason ?? Transferred from one of the Florida programs, was no more tha 14 years old and had been in the Florida program for some time already. When he came to Atlanta his single mother moved to Austell to be close to him. Jason was a serious arm carver, he dug deep, we had to put the socks with ducttape on his arms. He eventually made second while I was a trainee, one night he went off on his mom, we were called up, and had to go to his house.. he was restrained virtualyl all night, then set back the next morning. Either Jim Fraser or Steve Koss was involved can't be sure which.

The Fitzpatrick Brothers- Mike and Dennis- from early in my phases, they either seven stepped or left the program by early 84, I partied with one of them while living with Alan and Vanessa.

Derrick ? - Red headed, made it Sr. Staff from Hunstville- let me watch "the Wall' while on fifth phase while on vacation and visiting his home.

Susan with the black hair that was a Sr. Staffer - she did the volcano rap- first Staffer to really tear into me- I did not like that &*%$#&@.

Maria Milnichuch(sp?) - Executive staffer who came in later in my program.

Dennis Buttermer - Was the Director when I entered the program, went on to be teh head of some private school in the area- My Sister worked for hi mfor a bit while on her phases - something bad happened - don't know the details.

The Ambrose boys- Ben Bob and ??? there were three of them. Their mother was in a wheelchair, their father was killed doing missionary work in South America, Bob was the kid whose head was dunked in the toilet during the bathroom incident.

Alicia Crabtree- Alicia was a very strong girl, she was a real fighter, she copped out several times, never heard if she stepped. I tried to find her last year, but hit dead ends. FOund someone by that name, but they refused to reply to my email, so I have my guesses.

June (Lowery?) - June was a Northeasterner- had a boston accent, I thin kshe served on staff for a while under leathea, but she evetually left- My sister had some contact with her after, don't know what happened.

Mike ?? - He was a big boy, but very gentle and emotional, his mother eventually established a kitchen, so we could finally stop eating the crappy food that was sent to us from some aweful caterer.

Lloyd Benson ?? - A man in his late 20's, up to then the oldest client ever admitted, I think he was 27 years old. Lloyd had been in Prison, but took the opportunity to go to the program. He had a Native American heritage or look, was used as a heavy hand often though he became intensely uncompfortable with that role. He was in the unfortunate position of beating up on what were from his perspective -little kids. Perhaps the one person who I knew truly got his life to gether as a result of the program- I hope it lasted.

Alan Morrow- Another big boy, was used for beating up kids often. He and his sister were from Jonesboro, it was an hour or more to get to their foster home- They threw a fourth or fifth phase party one time at a lakeside park near their home.

Brad Bean- he was from the NC crew, he went to  Helen Georiga with me on a fourth phase outing, we ate in a restaurant that served beer and played heavy headgames about it. We climbed all the way to the top of Anna Ruby Falls and had a serious discussion about copping out at that point- we figured that no one would ever find us out in the back woods of north Georgia.

Jim Fraser- Lived in Dunwoody. He and I were close if for no other reason than we had the same first name. I ended up livign with him twice after the program, once in Chicago and once again later in Atlanta. Neitehr time did it work out at all well. Of course neither of us really understood at the time how screwed up we were from the cult. Jim attended GSU for a while, I think he graduated, no idea what became of him after that. Ji mwas more together than I was, and I drove him crazy when we tried to live together.

Ramona Love- A real fighter, small compact girl with a mean right hook (jokeing)

Jane Cullinane- Her son Mike was a very small person, he came into the program nad was the only person I ever recall moving through the phases pretty much at minimum times- made it to Sr. Staff.

Jane turned me onto the Grateful Dead in a big way, I bought Europe 72 while living at her home, and she would listen to it with me. She told me about her own experiences in her youth. I went to lassiter High School when I lived with them- I was on fifth phase then I think. Mike was the Sr. Staffer that took control of Scott Wyatt when he was returned to the program.