Author Topic: Thayer Learning Center in Kidder MO  (Read 96045 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Thayer Learning Center in Kidder MO
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2004, 04:12:00 PM »
This is either a sufferer or split personality or this is a troll. If anyone responds to him/her/them, just be sure you state as fact only what is fact and your opinion clearly as your opinion. Otherwise, you might wind up being sued.

BTW, anyone ever notice any similarities between $cientology's Dead Agenting or Fair Game tactics and those often practiced by the Mormon Gods??

http://clambake.org/cb-faq.html#comm

Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?
-- Patrick Henry

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »
Does anyone have anything descent to say about this "nice  christian fundamentalists, I mean people"?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »
:skull: Do not send your child to TLC. Beware. If you choose to sent your child to Thayer, have them put a code word in thier letter to let you know they need out. The mail is checked,  :skull:

Offline teach#1

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2004, 11:55:00 PM »
I am not here to dog on Thayer, I am just here to say hello, and more then that to a special lady from Thayer who I miss very much.  I wish you the best life can give.  A former worker of TLC. Your #1 Teacher.  This is for the May 11th girl.[ This Message was edited by: teach#1 on 2004-08-26 21:03 ]

Offline veryconcernedparty2004

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2004, 03:21:00 PM »
On 2004-08-26 20:55:00, teach#1 wrote:

"I am not here to dog on Thayer, I am just here to say hello, and more then that to a special lady from Thayer who I miss very much.  I wish you the best life can give.  A former worker of TLC. Your #1 Teacher.  This is for the May 11th girl.[ This Message was edited by: teach#1 on 2004-08-26 21:03 ]"

It seems as if you had a decent experience, at least with one of the instructors.  Can you tell us if there are teachers there on-site and how long you were at Thayer (three months, six months, etc.)   best of luck with your future.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2004, 03:35:00 PM »
On 2004-08-19 16:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Does anyone have anything descent to say about this "nice  christian fundamentalists, I mean people"?

"

My parents are christian fundamentalists.  Church of Christ, in fact.  My dad's retirement job is being the preacher at the local country church.

My parents are nice people.  Genuinely good folks.  As are my sisters and their families, in the same denomination.

There are a lot of Christians who are good people, who don't send their kids off to religious thought-reform school for trivial reasons, and who don't treat people of other faiths badly.

I would say that *most* Christians, including those in the more fundamentalist denominations, are nice people.  Every group has its jerks.  There are a whole lot of Christians in the US, so just by simple statistics, you run into jerks who are Christians more often than you run into jerks who are, say, Buddhist or Jewish.

Timoclea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »
The only christians I have a problem with are the ones who put down women or scrwe up their kids with constant shaming and fear. Especially normal adolescent stuff like masturbating or getting moody.

Hell I've heard of girls being punished for mensturating. feh

Offline teach#1

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2004, 07:43:00 PM »
I worked at Thayer for over 6 months, during that period of time, there was only one certified teacher, and he wasn't teaching anything.  When he found time, he was helpful to students doing schooling.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2004, 09:09:00 PM »
BTW, anyone ever notice any similarities between $cientology's Dead Agenting or Fair Game tactics and those often practiced by the Mormon Gods??

~Well, I don't know. But this sounds a lot like "someone" I'm familiar with . . .

"What I have against CoS is its deceitfulness,. . .
...its aggressive hard sell, its arrogance, its attack on free speech, its litigiousness, its harassment of its critics, its lack of concern for families, its gross neglect and abuse of children, etc. "

~Can you explain Dead Agenting? Fair Game Tactics?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2004, 01:51:00 AM »
On 2004-08-18 23:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hey,

I am thinking of sending my son to TLC. Would you please call me to tell me more about it? My name is Alex Stern and my number is 602-274-1414. I would really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Alex Stern"

Dimitri Rozenman
5303 N 7th ST
Phoenix AZ 85014
(602) 274-1414

Est. Home Value:

$150,000 - $174,999
Years at Address:

Est.  Household Income:

$61,000 - $100,000
Dwelling Type:

Apt. or Condo

:roll:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »
On 2004-08-28 18:09:00, Anonymous wrote:

~Can you explain Dead Agenting? Fair Game Tactics?

Sure. Here's some info. on what Fair Game means in clam parlance:
http://www.suppressiveperson.org/fair_game/index.html

Essentially, dead agenting consists of a series of ad hominem attacks, threats and other forms of intimidation.

And here are a couple of examples:
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=50#42536

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... rt=0#34091

Being that these fora focus on cults and cultish organizations, virtually endless examples of dead agenting can be found throughout.

The fatal pedagogical error is to throw answers, like stones, at the heads of those who have not yet asked the questions.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22Paul+Tillich%22&btnG=Google+Search' target='_new'>Paul Tillich

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2004, 06:40:00 AM »
I have son at Thayer Learning Center.   As such, I am always on the web looking at what others have to say.  When I read other's comments, I never find much (if anything) positive.  So, this post is my opportunity to add my experiences to the general body of knowledge about Thayer on the internet.

I have met with my son privately away from Thayer so I have a good idea of the program's pluses and minuses.  

As with any discussion of a teen's problems, context is everything.  Much to my surprise (sound familiar parents?) , I one day discovered that my very bright IQ-wise son was engaged in some very destructive behavior:  using hard drugs, selling same, carrying a gun and naturally, failing out of school.  I found Thayer through one of the zillion websites connected to the Bundy's.  I had about 3 hrs. to make up my mind, call Teen Transport and send him on his way.  I spend more time planning vacations -- a sad but true comment for any parent to make.  I rated my son's life expectancy on the streets, where he had run off to, in months, if not weeks.

So, here is what I have learned:

1)  Thayer is the end of the road; the last stop for teens before prison.  It is ONLY for the real tough nuts, the junior gangsters.  

2)  Thayer is not harsh, it is severe.  Again, your teen's context is key.  Severe is good if the alternative is emanate incarceration or death on the streets.  You need to believe this is your teen's situation before you select Thayer.  Sending a kid to Thayer need be your LAST CHOICE.  My son told  me what a mistake some parents make when they send their teen to Thayer after catching him with a few beers and failing grades.  Thayer is not for the nice teen who has temporarily lost his way.  There are other schools for him.

3)  My son treated therapists & counselors as toys; Mom and Dad's jokes to be played with and manipulated.  When therapy & counselors fail, then Thayer may be all that is left between your teen and a life of crime.  That was our situation.  

4)  Thayer is not a therapeutic environment as the term is generally used.  There is no "Canine Therapy", no touchy-feelie-feel-good sessions with counselors.  Again, if your teen can be saved through a therapeutic environment, then he or she does not belong at Thayer.  

5)  What Thayer is, is this:

a)  More discipline than military boot camp.  Let me give you an example:          If a teen is sick and vomiting, then he is given a bucket to carry around         to heave into and sent off on a day's drill.  You really have to be sick to                   see a doctor.

b)  Extreme accountability for one's choices and actions.

c)  Instant punishment for mistakes, errors and failure to follow the rules.

d)  The out of control teen instantly finds himself in a situation where he          has no control any more; other than to submit to Thayer's rules.

e)  Thayer operates on a system of credits which the teens manage via PCs.          This gives them  a taste or real life where they must "pay bills", use                         credits to get the things they want, e.g. home visits and other                                    privileges.  If the kids go "bankrupt" credit-wise, they go back to boot                    camp to earn more credits to go back into residency.  I must say, my          wife and I like this part very, very, much.

f)  High school classes are available via a home schooling program.  A real         high school diploma from an accredited school in MO is the end result.

g)  There is a progression from boot camp (no control, constant discipline,          no talking unless spoken to by a drill sergeant and lots and lots of                           physical exercise); to residency (opportunity to learn, less discipline)                       up through senior residency and junior staff.  At each level the teen                         must earn the right to be there by correct behavior.

The emphasis here is to break the teen down, give him a sense of extreme discipline and build him back up.  All I know is that it is working for my son.

By the way, my family is not religious in the slightest.  From what I can tell Thayer is a Mormon operation -- which I could care less about.  

My wife and I did visit Thayer and took a tour.  I carefully looked into the eyes of all Thayer people I met.  What is saw was people who want to help very, very troubled teens.

In summary, I must admit that I don't know anything about the Bundy's.  I did not know anything about Thayer until a few hours after I sent my son off.  I do know that he most likely would be dead now if he were still on the streets (an assessment he shares) or in jail on drug dealing charges.  I do know that Thayer has completely turned by son around.  And, I am keeping him there for the full year.  He knows, understands and accepts this.

My formerly overweight and unathletic son is not strong, muscular, proud of his body and very happy about being in good physical shape.

When my son and I met privately (away from Thayer and any Thayer people) he hugged and thanked me for saving his life -- and told me he hates Thayer, hates the constant control and discipline,  hates the food (although it seems OK to me), can't stand the constant monitoring, understands why he is there and can't wait to graduate from Thayer and move on to college.  

Thayer is working for our family.

If anyone wants to reach me via e-mail, I am at [email protected].

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »
I have no personal experience with Thayer. My experience was with WWASP. Seems they have a connection with the Bundy's; and it seems the Bundys are running a program on the wwasp model.
All I know is what I have heard from others, and I base my opinion on this alone.
I wanted to suggest you take a look at a what ISAC has put together on this subject. It might help with the big picture.
I  am glad your son seems to be doing better - apparently healthy. That is good news. I'm not trying to be a smart ass with this; but do be aware that the fall out from this experience could be pretty sever. You can't say how well a program "worked" until the "student" has been out for awhile. PTSD is  common in people who have been threw situation such as Thayer and WWASP. You might want to be sure to save enough to help him get the appropriate therapy for PTSD; Just in case. If after his release, he falls apart, please don't write him off; even if it is five years later - as it might be. Look into this possibility and help him recover. Meanwhile, research PTSD. Learn what you can about it; b/c otherwise, you might not recognize what is happening. Patients are sometimes diagnosed as Psychotic or Bi Polar or adicts - when it is in fact PTSD. And its important to get it right, b/c PTSD is highly treatable and the medications, if any, very different than with what it is often confused for.

http://www.isaccorp.com/thayer.html

Offline Kiwi

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2004, 04:54:00 PM »
a) More discipline than military boot camp. Let me give you an example: If a teen is sick and vomiting, then he is given a bucket to carry around to heave into and sent off on a day's drill. You really have to be sick to see a doctor.
The emphasis here is to break the teen down, give him a sense of extreme discipline and build him back up.
What you call discipline is what the rest of the world calls abuse.  This is the kind of thing that killed Nick Contreraz. What makes you think such cruelty will solve any of your son's problems?  That's assuming he has any, other than having a psychopath as a parent.

All I know is that it is working for my son.

In what sense working?  Because it has broken him down?  Because he is learning to be subservient?  What makes you think he will ever talk to you again once he becomes an adult?

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2004, 05:39:00 PM »
I had somehow missed this:

a) More discipline than military boot camp. Let me give you an example: If a teen is sick and vomiting, then he is given a bucket to carry around to heave into and sent off on a day's drill. You really have to be sick to see a doctor.

Kiwi is right. This has killed kids - not just Nick Contreraz.
I think we can count Aaron Bacon in this. Omar Paisley. Michelle Sutton. No telling how many.
http://www.nospank.net/azboys.htm
http://www.nospank.net/bacon2.htm
http://www.nospank.net/paisley.htm
http://www.teenadvocatesusa.homestead.c ... utton.html