Author Topic: Taoism?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
    • http://360.yahoo.com/cleopatra2u
Taoism?
« on: March 03, 2004, 07:43:00 PM »
Does anyone here practice Taoism?  I have a rudimentary understanding and interest that was renewed when I read James Frey's memoir A Million Little Pieces recently.  At 23, Mr. Frey underwent treatment for alcohol and crack addiction.  He never bought into the Twelve Steps, basically because he's an Atheist and does not believe in any sort of Higher Power.  He did, however, find a small book called Tao Te Ching, given to him by his brother, immensely helpful.  I wish I had Frey's book with me so that I could quote him, but I don't...  Basically, he appreciates the Tao Te Ching because, unlike AA-/NA-/step-related literature, it doesn't tell you what to believe and how to act...  Instead, its simple words are there for you to take or leave as you see fit.

Taoism: a Chinese mystical philosophy traditionally founded by Lao-tzu in the 6th century B.C. that teaches conformity to the Tao by unassertive action and simplicity

Tao: the process of nature by which all things change and which is to be followed for a life of harmony

English translations of the Tao Te Ching can be found at http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gthursby/ ... c-list.htm

Here is Chapter 52 of the Tao Te Ching, "Returning to the Source", as translated by Stan Rosenthal:

"The virtue of Tao governs its natural way.
Thus, he who is at one with it,
is one with everything which lives,
having freedom from the fear of death.

Boasting, and hurrying hither and thither,
destroy the enjoyment of a peace filled life.

Life is more fulfilled by far,
for he who does not have desire,
for he does not have desire,
has no need of boasting.

Learn to see the insignificant and small,
grow in wisdom and develop insight,
that which is irrevocable,
do not try to fight,
and so be saved from harm."

Any thoughts???
Mindi
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
he trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun.

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »
I was not too into this philosophy myself

the whole action through inaction thing was just like something almost too passive to me

confuscionsim ...can't spell that and the tao seemed almost like you cannot stop anything from happening so go with the flow.

I feel that the idea of being one with nature is an excellent one but the idea of bending with the branch which is an example used in the books I read on it hmmm I don't know it was almost fatalistic.

Like thats life don't try to change it you can't.

Things are what they are.....

When you finish reading it let me know what you think I am curious to know someone else's take on it.

Most people disagreed with me.

I'm not sure, maybe it's just me who veiws it as being that way.

For three days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off.  
-- Johnny Carson

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »
http://gweezlebur.com/pooh/

It's been a LONG time since I've read this, but it's a great book if memory serves.

There is not a "fragment" in all nature, for every relative fragment of one thing is a full harmonious unit in itself.
-- John Muir

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »
Wake me up when you're done. This thread makes me want to light up with TBPITW guys..  :smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »
Taoism is more about being in tune with the nature of things, releasing the ego, and need for things.  Not so much being in tune with nature.  It wasn't the original hippy handbook at all. But that is my opinion.  As taoism teaches each person will interpret the text differently since we all start with our own experiences and ideas.

Offline jason999

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »
I spent a few years in China in the mid-90's studying Taoism...

Don't agree with any of these interpretations.

email me offline if ya wanna discuss..

-j

Offline Queen Bitch

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »
Be still like a mountain and flow like a great river.

Taoism, while not radically subversive, offered a range of alternatives to the Confucian way of life and point of view. These alternatives, however, were not mutually exclusive. For the vast majority of Chinese, there was no question of choosing between Confucianism and Taoism. Except for a few straightlaced Confucians and a few pious Taoists, the Chinese man or woman practiced both -- either at different phases of life or as different sides of personality and taste.

Offline animals all of us

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 09:12:00 AM »
Hi Mindy,

Hey, what Japanime is your icon there from ??? I like the red in it, and the girl.  I bet I didn't see it yet.

Okay, I have to kind of go with NYliberal's attitude about this one.  Just that unless I can apply it to my life and get an overall change from it, I cant really use it.  I read books like Tao and Buddha for Entertainment (Course in Miracles, Incredible Lightness of Being, LoTR and other Tolkien books, Bible, Practical Reiki, Soul Love, Bhagavad Ghita, Talmud...(add just about anything newage here that relates to mysticism or healing through auric measures, or prayer, or whatever, I have probably read it) as it does not apply to the way America is run.  That's a little hectic and black/white of me to say, but that's just my viewpoint.  I got a really good read out of the HarryPotter series and could relate to some of the mysticism in those books, but Im not running out to become a magician.  I think as adults we sort of have maybe a responsibility to help children lose or keep away from them, as many ideals as possible, so that when college, the only practical application in America, comes along they won't have so much trouble with new learning that can be made into money and a future in similarity.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »
so that when college, the only practical application in America, comes along they won't have so much trouble with new learning that can be made into money and a future in similarity.

Whoa..what a perspective there, Animals!  :scared:

I'd hate to think that this was anywhere NEAR the truth, b/c if it is, I'm FUCKED!  :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »
You should read the Tao of Pooh. It's a good book and gives a lot of insight to Taoism.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 10:41:00 PM »
I like the Tao of Poo Poo. It's the shit.

Offline Dr. Fucktard

• View Profile
    • http://srt8homo
Taoism?
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 03:20:00 AM »
You damn druggies are so messed up on LSD that you think your hallucinations somehow validate heathen Oriental myths.  It's about time you realized that you did NOT have some kind of mystical experience on acid, you were merely "fucked up" and in a state akin to schizophrenia-- a state not unfamiliar to those psychologically ill, delusional ufortunates that claim to be 'enlightened' by some bogus Oriental claptrap.  You druggies need to realize that any 'guru' from the East is an obviously megalomaniac, malnourished idiot that is just trying to pick the pockets of naive young people in America--and druggies, with their warped sense of reality and twisted morals, are easy prey for these crazed yet crafty dharma merchants that have been stalking misguided young people in this country since the 1960s.  Once you've begun to work your Program and have an understanding of real spirituality--the spirituality of the Steps-- you will see these Eastern beliefs for the products of esoteric con men that they are.
eenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
Taoism?
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 01:41:00 PM »
I don't think that the original Taoist doctrines were anymore a deliberate con then any other form of organized religion.

Confucianism never had a "guru" so I am assuming you are referring to Buddism which is not the Tao.

I am not convinced that the Chinese correction the chinese were not heathens. Their dynasties were suffering up until the rise of Mao and Chain Kaishsk (really probably spelled that wrong) with a great deal of corruption and interal problems but contrary to trying to export their religious doctrines into the Western world. They were trying desperately to purge themselves of the continuous influx of Christians trying to force their religions on them .

So my point, in essence, they only religious con men, trying to "hook" people on their brand of religious doctrine, were the Christians.

The Jesuits and Protestants that were so active in China trying to convert the Chinese to their respective religions. I don't recall a large Chinese Tao or Confucian movement to come convert the English French or Americans to their religion.

Chinese were isolationist.. they didn't want anything to do with us much less care to shove their religious doctrines upon us.

...the people have a right to keep and bear arms.
-- Patrick Henry and George Mason Debates

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do