Author Topic: I saw The Passion Of The Christ tonight  (Read 26682 times)

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
I saw The Passion Of The Christ tonight
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2004, 04:19:00 PM »
You heathen scum, anon...It figures that you lack the courage to register.
You're a coward in the eyes of God, and in mine as well..

I'll see your sorry anonymous ass in hell!

Sincerely,
Dr. Fucktard
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »
On 2004-02-28 21:45:00, Scott D wrote:

" What makes you think it even happened? There is NO historical contemporary  (this is a contradiction)  writing during the time of Christ that indicate he even existed (False) . Even biblical scholars acknowledge the bible was written after his alleged death.//////  (true but you have to understand the time back then and how things got passed down) ( The bible is one of the only most historically correct writings of our time)(PROVEN)

There may have been a guy named Jesus, but there are no historical references anywhere to validate that. ///// (Nope how many do you want)

The chances are he was the son of god and died on the cross for your sins? Tell me, why did all those other people  ////(Who)//// die on a cross then, it was not a unique punishment back then.  /////( That is true but why did water flow when the roman centurion speared his side???)  Where is the evidence any of this stuff happened? /////  (dead Sea scrolls and so much more)  Scientific evidence indicates the Flood never happened,//////  (nope the have actually found part of the arc) the earth is older than the bible indicates, the genesis story is absolutely impossible (light before the stars, firmament between heaven and earth, etc, etc). ///// LONG LONG LONG debate but more and more studies have found that evolution does not add up and many scientific people who are the most difficult to discuss faith with are the ones that are coming forth with this material, one of the leaders is proving that evolution does not add up is an agnostic to boot!)

Cry at the movie all you want...better to cry for the sorry state of mankind still believing this ancient man myth bullshit. /////  (actually I will cry for you.  show me or name me 3 agnostics whose life has been changed by their belief and I will show you thousands of people whose life has been changed by believing that Jesus Christ died for their sins) ( All other religions I can show you or take you to the place their profit is buried ,Jesus tomb is empty)"

Scott, this has to be the most tortured paragraph I Have seen in a long time. It is devoid of any common logic, but I will bite.

You say there are writing during christs lifetime that indicate he was alive and are so confident you say "how many do you want?  While this would in no way prove any supernatural properties of the man, i challenge you to produce only three, and please don't march out proven frauds, which do exist.

in addition, you site the bible as "historically accurate". My claim is that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of historical contradictions in the bible.

Care to continue the debate?

btw, historical contemporary writings is not a contradictory statement. It simply means written at the time of the proposed event in the past. It is a phrase with a very distinct meaning.

Further, "thousands of lives" being changed by believing in christ somehow validates the subject. "thousands of lives" are changed by all religions. Does this make them all correct?  adopting any belief system is a life changing event, be it christianity or hare Krisna, Islam or scientology.

Empty tomb? what the hell you talking about?  Elaborate please.  An empty supposed grave site?
Yawn.....

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »
On 2004-02-28 21:52:00, cayohueso wrote:

"The premise of Occom's razor states that, assuming there were multiple explanations

for a phenomena, the simplest explanation was usually the right one.  That's a perfect explanation for why I'm so skeptical.  From the time that we as humans began we've had a need to explain things that frighten us.  It used to be that when we heard thunder, it was because the God of Thunder was angry with something we did.  Then came along meteorology...now everyone knows that thunder is a release of electricity, Thor is not up there throwing down lightning bolts.  There were sacrifices to Pele so that the volcano wouldn't erupt...now we have geology.  People were afraid of the volcano so if they believed that Pele controlled the eruptions then if they could only make Pele happy everything would be OK.  What if.....since we as humans are the only species aware of our own mortality...what if it's just too scary to think that that's it, we're on our own. There is no plan, there is no hereafter, when we're gone we're gone. It's much more comforting to believe there is someone up there looking out for us.  It gives us a sense of at least SOME sort of control over our own destiny...if we're really really good then we get to go to heaven and everything will be OK.  

My problem with the Bible itself is that it cannot be taken as historical fact and a lot of people really seem to believe that it is.  The Bible was not written by "God"...it was written by men, it's THEIR INTERPRETATION of events expressed through THEIR PERSPECTIVE.   The difference between historical fact the and Bible is like the difference between a documentary and a docu-drama...there are a lot of things that ARE true, but the authors have taken GREAT dramatic license...IMHO.

The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this.
--Albert Einstein, My First Impression of the U.S.A., 1921

"

Right on Cahuheso. You hit the nail on the head.
It is sad that people that profess to "Live by the bible" for the most part haven't even read it, and those that do spend most of their time justifying the writing or ignoring all science that disputes it.

The bible either is or isn't the word of God. If it is, your god is very confused, contradictory, evil, cruel, and not much fun at a party.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »
Their god is insane, retarded, or blind.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2004, 04:38:00 PM »
ya all might be interested in a book called the "Bible Code" it's written by a non'christian mathmetician who set out to prove that there was no code and ended up saying there definately is and that is was ordered very carefully, I've heard it said that ALL of our names are encoded in the Bible?

Carl Sagan said something like... all the elements for life are floating out there in the universe but there had to be some large hand to bring it all together..

another interesting book, "The Bible is History"

also our Supreme Court has ruled twice i think that the Bible can and should be used as a history book.

Offline Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »
I actually have that book and never got around to reading it..

Christians perpetuate bigotry..look at George Dubya..
 Fucking with the constitution to make Gay marriages illegal..
 Because its against the bible...

You sitting down???

FUCK THE BIBLE!!

Yep I said it...bible is not even entertaining but can be used for rolling paper in desperate times..
 Not even good toilet paper as its a bit rough and my ass is sensitive..
aving the way for the new breed of bad seed

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2004, 05:07:00 PM »
"the bible code" is psudoscientific crap. Using those methods, you can decode any book to say anything you want.

This is but one report of many that explains this crap.  People are funny, they want to belive in the supernatural so they immediately accept anything that tends to justify supernatural events but ignore the evidence to the contrary when it always comes around...

http://www.csicop.org/si/9711/bible-code.html

Offline Dr. Therion Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2004, 05:07:00 PM »
don't believe a word of it--not one word!
am Dr. Therion Fucktard
Fuck with me and know remorse
Brainwash you till you I kill myself
Motivation for you methadone for me

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2004, 05:18:00 PM »
On 2004-02-29 13:38:00, Anonymous

Carl Sagan said something like... all the elements for life are floating out there in the universe but there had to be some large hand to bring it all together..

really? Please produce the quote as I find no reference to it.

However, here is a good Carl Sagan quote:

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »
Didn't think you could produce it.  I love debating people who defend religion.  It usually ends up with them bailing from the conversation or attacking their opponent or resorting to illogical responses or unfactual claims

Anyone else?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2004, 09:27:00 PM »
Believing in God, any "God" is an act of faith.  Do you believe in "believing"?  I do.  Life is too precious to take for granted.

:cool:

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »
don't believe a word of it--not one word!

Indeed sir..  :lol:

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2004, 09:46:00 PM »
Their god is insane, retarded, or blind.

At least it's not DEAD, INSANE or IN JAIL.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2004, 10:06:00 PM »
On 2004-02-29 18:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Believing in God, any "God" is an act of faith.  Do you believe in "believing"?  I do.  Life is too precious to take for granted.

:cool:    "

What does that mean? That would qualify as ducking under illogical statements. And your second part, "life is too short to be taken for granted" is a veiled criticism.

You just proved my statement above, that religious debaters always duck behind illogical statements and ad hominems.

Do I believe in believing?  Dismissing the silliness of the statement, I will respond to what I think you are driving at.

Believing in God is an individual choice. I do not criticise you individually for doing so. What I criticise is your justifications and arguments you use to prop up your god and to justify the contradictions, illogic, cruely, silliness and unscientific content of the bible.

If you want to believe because you have "faith" by all means do so. You want to question me or debate your bible? Be prepared for a logical argument and don't duck behind cutsy sayings like "believing in believing" and expect that to hold any weight.

Paraphrsing your statement, Life is to precious to believe in things without questioning why you believe in my opinion. My belief system is open to constant change with new information. provide me with some and I will consider it deeply. Just don't hit me with this type of krill.

Go ahead, convince me. Startle me with your evidence of God and show me the bible is not cruel, violent and silly.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »
sorry, that was me.

forgot to log in.