Author Topic: Parents should be held accountable!  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Parents should be held accountable!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2003, 06:15:00 PM »
Ok, first I have to tell you that I've been peeking at IP addresses again. The best I can do is make an educated guess, of course. But I'm usually pretty close to the mark. Not all of the people who have been saying awful things about you in these forums are on the dishing end of any lawsuit.

Some possibly are and I think they've taken offense and been frightened by your position that they all belong in prison or something. I don't think they do. And I don't think you'll get very far storming the whole of TOUGHLOVEdome with threats and accusations. It may surprise you to find out that some of these people's mos solid supporters and defenders are the kids who they put into these programs and are now defending.

"Now, had a parent placed their child in a program and it was based on the referal of a psychiatrist, psychologist or judge, then I don't think the parent should be held accountable. But I do think the professional who did the refering should be."

Carey, that's how it usually happens. Not only is TC an accepted treatment throughout officialdome, there's actually been proposed legislation (don't know if it passed) to make TC the only federally funded type of treatment for teen drug use.

It's not that there's any lack of laws governing these places. They do things every day that are illegal. It's just like lynching in the Old South; there's a lack of will to investigate and prosecute. After all, these are all dangerous, hostile, caniving and manipulative teenagers, right? The officials, for the most part, take the position that they get what they deserve and/or they're lying about it.  

Government operates best when it allows all messengers to offer their views, allowing the American people to decide which take root and which wither away.
--Harold Furchtgott-Roth, member of the Federal Communications Commission

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Carey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2003, 07:32:00 PM »
Carey, that's how it usually happens. Not only is TC an accepted treatment throughout officialdome, there's actually been proposed legislation (don't know if it passed) to make TC the only federally funded type of treatment for teen drug use.

Who is "TC"?

I was addressing this question:

Carey, what do you think about parents who blindly trust their pediatricians and allow their babies to receive dangerous vaccinations that leave them hopelessly autistic?

As far as the immunizations thing goes, I don't see the camparison. I think the two situations can not be compared. Yes, doctors can be wrong. Yes, modern medicine and new studies can change the over all view of past opinions. But let us remember that the over all industry is regulated. I do not think the parent who trusted the pediatrician who recommneded the immunization should be held accountable. She was trusting in an individual who had studied medicine. Someone who spent years training. She was trusting a vaccine that had been tested and approved by the FDA. The parents who put kids in programs are trusting uneducated people. The parents who put kids in programs are trusting an unregulated, unproven theory of "behavior modification." The two are not camparable.

Now, had a parent placed their child in a program and it was based on the referal of a psychiatrist, psychologist or judge, then I don't think the parent should be held accountable. But I do think the professional who did the refering should be.

Your response to the above was:

It's not that there's any lack of laws governing these places. They do things every day that are illegal. It's just like lynching in the Old South; there's a lack of will to investigate and prosecute. After all, these are all dangerous, hostile, caniving and manipulative teenagers, right? The officials, for the most part, take the position that they get what they deserve and/or they're lying about it.

I say, then hold the officials accountable, too.

I would like to know the number of parents who placed their kids in one of the "programs" sought professional guidance.  I mean professional, not the Sue Scheff kind of professional, I mean a psychologist, psychiatrist or judge, a real professional not some self appointed guru.  I would like to know how many of these who sought a professional in which the professional recommended a WWASP program.

Ok, first I have to tell you that I've been peeking at IP addresses again. The best I can do is make an educated guess, of course. But I'm usually pretty close to the mark. Not all of the people who have been saying awful things about you in these forums are on the dishing end of any lawsuit.

I don't know how you can tell that from an IP address, unless of course you know all of those who are particpants in the law suit and their specific IP address.  I don't doubt that some are kids or that some are WWASP supporters, but I do believe the majority are the trekers.  I can't prove it, but I don't need to.  I am not trying to take them to court.  I just know from past experience and private emails that their behavior is consistant.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2003, 10:44:00 AM »
On 2003-10-13 16:32:00, Carey wrote:

"

Who is "TC"?

Therapeutic Community. It's the basic method deveopled by Synanon Church sometime before they took to sending their biker thug crews out to beat critics and place poisonous snakes in the mailboxes of lawyers who represented them. It's the same basic method used in WWASP programs, which derive from CEDU which was founded by a Synanon person. Same as Seed, Straight, Kids, AARC and that whole line, which derive from Daytop, we think. Accross the board, wherever the Synanon method is used, we hear from graduates and splitees about all kinds of bad outcomes. But there are no serious, peer reviewed studies to show one way or another. It's an article of faith among industry insiders and regulators that these methods "work".

Well, they do "work". They generate zealot supporters, glowing testimonials and lots and lots of cash.

I say, then hold the officials accountable, too.

Oh, I heartily agree! I know, for example, that a couple of people have successfully shut down WWASP, Straight and Kids programs by threatening or actually suing the state regulators. As you note, though, this still doesn't eliminate demand. But it helps.

I would like to know the number of parents who placed their kids in one of the "programs" sought professional guidance.  I mean professional, not the Sue Scheff kind of professional, I mean a psychologist, psychiatrist or judge, a real professional not some self appointed guru.  I would like to know how many of these who sought a professional in which the professional recommended a WWASP program.

You mean like the ones at Brightway Adolescent Hospital in St. George, Utah? Or check out the Nightline video that I keep archived in the videos section of my site. http://fornits.com/anonanon/video/

Believe me, Carey, appeal to authority is one of their best tricks. You go into the office of SAFE and you'll probably still find various endorsements on the wall from the governor (Jeb Bush, who, with his wife and state drug czar, Jim McDonough, retain seats on the board of advisors of Drug Free America Foundation).

Want to know how bad it gets? Two years ago, a bunch of program survivors decided to go and picket SAFE on the night of one of their gala fundraising events. First, it was a very sad event that profoundly effected the adult survivors in attendence. You couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy who donated his classic car for raffle to keep his kid in the program and keep the doors open after the former director absconded with a bunch of money. But what happened next was too much for most of us.

When the kids were filing out of the back of the building to go to their host homes at night, one of them decided to make a break for it and try for the picket line. Just as we all remember the scene, the other kids chased him down, tackled him and stuffed him, kicking and screaming into the back of a car. My friends stood in the road to block their way while calling 911 and describing the scene. Some time later, the police arrived on a tresspass complaint made by the program people. They refused (just plain out refused) to even take a report on the beating and kidnapping. So a couple of these folks went back the next day and just refused to go away till a sherrif's officer took a signed statement. As far as we can tell, no real investigation ever ensued. They told us the kid was probably court ordered, but refused to go and give him the option of returning to jail. They told us they couldn't do anything because we didn't know the identity of the kid, to which we responded "Well, then how do you know he's court ordered"?

Nothing has changed, really.

On a prior visit, we saw a car with the Covenant House logo on the door, either delivering or picking a kid up there. You know, Covenant House? The 9 line for runaways that promises "If you're on the street and alone and afraid, Dial 1-800 then keep dialing 9", that Covenant House?

Forget about the 1987 or whatever epoch date for WWASP as a new corporate entity. These folks have got a LOT of "the authorities" convinced over the years.

No doubt, the "authorities" carry a large degree of culpability.

I don't know how you can tell that from an IP address, unless of course you know all of those who are particpants in the law suit and their specific IP address.  

Because I can put together all the messages posted by a particular IP or by a net mask, which narrows it down to a provider, usually. It's not exact science. But it's sort of a dead givaway when someone posts both anonymous and by a username from the same IP or gives detail or opinion in one post that contradicts that given in other posts. You'd be surprised (or not) how often people post in response to their own posts, pretending to be someone else piling on in agreement or even attacking their own post. The only reason for doing this that makes sense to me is to draw attention away from more important issues.

And, while we're on the topic, I hope all readers understand that this is not only possible, but real easy to do. Before you get too awfully upset over anything posted to these forums, remind yourself that you don't even know for sure who's saying what or what their motive.

That's about all I can say on the topic. Sometimes people post anon because they've got something important to say and they don't trust me (the the total stranger w/ access to the server logs) enough to register. I don't want to violate that trust, so I can't really say who I think it is acting as provocateur here. Just bear in mind, please, that it does happen quite often.

I don't doubt that some are kids or that some are WWASP supporters, but I do believe the majority are the trekers.  I can't prove it, but I don't need to.  I am not trying to take them to court.  I just know from past experience and private emails that their behavior is consistant. "

Trekers? I've seen the term, but not quite sure what it means.

When I started as a federal narcotics agent, the budget that we were working with, it was less than $5 million a year, and there was only 125 agents for the entire world to work the narcotic trade that we were fighting in those days.  Times have changed.  The gluttony has grown.
--Nick Navarro, former Broward, FL Sherrif

Straight South (Sarasota, FL)
Anonymity Anonymous

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2003, 09:20:00 PM »
Carey,
I'm going to play devil's advocate here to hopefully make a point.

You said:
But let us remember that the over all industry is regulated. I do not think the parent who trusted the pediatrician who recommneded the immunization should be held accountable. She was trusting in an individual who had studied medicine. Someone who spent years training. She was trusting a vaccine that had been tested and approved by the FDA. The parents who put kids in programs are trusting uneducated people. The parents who put kids in programs are trusting an unregulated, unproven theory of "behavior modification." The two are not camparable.

But, YES they are exactly the same.
There is just as much, if not more, information available to the public on the harm of immunizations. How do I know? I chose not to immunize my children and I can tell you, I did a hell of a lot of research, attended lectures, consulted with alternative professionals, etc. And I am baffled at how many parents choose to follow the herd. Same reason parents incarcerate their kids, or one reason, it's easier than engaging. Thinking. Taking responsibility for making your own choices after reviewing everything you can get your hands on.

Did you immunize your kids? If so, would it seem justified to you, if I criticized you and said you should go to jail because you didn't avail yourself to the warnings that are readily available to the public, but blindly trusted your pediatrian to make all the decisions about your children, therefore possibily endangering the health and well being of your child. I could call you a dumb fuck for blindly believing. Does that sit well with you? BTW, many pediatrians don't immunize their own children, but don't hesitate to shoot up their clients, it's their bread and butter. If you had ever required your "professional" MD to sign a statement that s/he would take responsibility if the immunization harmed your child in any way, your kids wouldn't be immunized either. They all know they're dangerous. Hell your respected FDA banned mercury in animal vaccines l-o-n-g before human vaccines- which just recently happened.

And the same is true with psych meds. Refuse to put your kid on Ritalin/Adderall and CPS can take your kids and charge you with medical neglect or worse. FYI, no longer in TX thanks to some wonderful advocates in Austin. No longer can a school principal or teacher (who are NOT so-called psych professionals) mention drugs to a parent. And TX parents no longer have to fear the wrath of CPS. That's how change happens. It's slow. Too slow for me too sometimes. There is no easy answer or solution.

Ginger's analogy is exactly the same. Parents fuck up everyday. All doing the only thing they can with the information and personality they have. Program parents are deceived and lied to and manipulated and conned. Some become aware of it, others don't, for any number of reasons.

Who do you think is going to take action against these program parents??? Who do you HOPE will take action against these parents??? Because that is what your continual arguement sounds like- trying to convince someone who has the power to do so. You have that power to sue atlest one of "those" parents. Start writing letters to lawyers and politicians. Ask them who would have the power and authority to make these parents accountable. See how they answer.

And NO, it is not true that staff at all programs are NOT trained, educated or professional. Where my son was incarcerated everyone was educated and "professional" except the service staff.... and they pulled much of the same shit WWASP does, with the exception that they were a little sleezer..or clever, whichever it might be, about keeping their shit covered up. "Professional" all too often just means they'll be able to screw you in a worse way...and leave your head spinning in the process.  Try fighting those "professionals" - who the courts respect- when they have your child in their custody and the child's father employs them to win a court battle. They have no integrity, but when their livlihood is on the line they are totally unscrupulous, and the one's I was envolved with stooped to perjury. And the stronger you advocate for your child, the more deranged they attempt to make you appear. There are some very sick "professionals" out there. The most suicides among "professionals" are psychiatrists. Think about it. If you put your trust in state regulators and "professionals" to guard over teens in programs, you're just as bad off as the parents trusting program staff, imho.

There ain't no Daddy or Lone Ranger or Superman or god that's going to come in and right all the wrongs. We are doing that, a little bit at a time. Your dynamite approach is understandable, but it is not productive. NO ONE is going to hold parents accountable except one individual who takes issue with another particular parent/ professional.

You can't legislate love or intellegence or caring. We live in a culture that puts money before life. Until that changes, this and all the other unbelievable human idiocies will continue.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2003, 09:34:00 PM »
Just curious, were your kids home schooled? Everywhere that I have lived they will not let your children attend school without immunizations. We have to bring in the medical card and everything.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2003, 10:00:00 PM »
School and State personel will lie to you, as they did to my sister. You have to know the law. And, you might be required to have a religous exemption in your state. Do an internet search for a "church" with beliefs that you can live with, which opposes immunizations. Join and ask for a letter to exempt your children. There are some anti-immunization websites too, but I don't have a URL for you, past that phase of my/their life.
And yes, my sons were homeschooled until they began Montessori, which didn't require immunizations. I also had a letter from the "Church of the Golden Rule"- my friend was the founder. I used it once when my oldest attended public school as a brief experiment. Turns out...he was more interested in scamming ice cream from peers than actually attending public school. Yeh, I could've been less strict with diet.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2003, 10:56:00 PM »
Deborah Writes (as excerpted)

You can't legislate love or intellegence or caring. We live in a culture that puts money before life. Until that changes, this and all the other unbelievable human idiocies will continue.

------------------------------------------------
Yep, that's the bottom line allright.

:cry2:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2003, 02:10:00 AM »
In some places, you don't even have to avow any particular religion or rejection of modern medicine or anything like that. You just state that, based on your religion or a conviction similar to religion that you oppose divulging private medical information.

Most of the functionaries are not technically lying when they tell you they have authority they don't have. They haven't studied law. They were trained by their co-workers. They actually believe they have all the authority they say they do.

Everyone, as a matter of civic duty, should trott on down to the library or spend time on the net researching just what the laws are that pertain to anything of interest to you. (if you have an interest, they've got half a dozen laws or more, guaranteed!) If you know you're right and they challenge you, don't get mad or be intimidated. Thank them for the corespondence or call and ask them politely to identify the law that requires whatever they're demanding. This is especially fun with the little power freak tin god types. The more pleasant and poised you are, the more bent out of shape they get.

Oh, and ALWAYS take notes and follow up verbal conversations with written letters.

"I predict, Sir, that you will die either by hanging or of some vile disease."
 "That all depends, sir, upon whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
--Disraeli to Gladstone

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2003, 12:12:00 PM »
its ironic that immunizations were brought up here I fear them so much I fear not giving them and giving them

and my one, the one I adore is a marine srgt. airman enough said I guess on the scary needles right now I feel like crying

G:   "If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
EB:  "Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area."
-- Somewhere in No Man's Land, BA4

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2003, 12:14:00 PM »
now Ginger how in the hell did that quote come up after I said that particular thing, that is just strange as fucking hell and there is no way around it

God I hate the military

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.

--H.L. Mencken

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2003, 03:23:00 AM »
It's just spooky sometimes. But I have a theory. Some of the quotes in the database are from my dad, who was known by the nickname "Crazy Mac". If anyone had the power to hang around years after death and the personality to use said power just to play pranks, that would be him.  :wink:

Don't be scared of the vaccination issue. Read up on it. Then you'll know better what to do (or not) and you won't worry so much about it.

Legalizing drugs is far from a panacea for all the distress caused by drugs, but it will eliminate most of the profit and corruption from the drug trade.

--Nobel laureate, Gary S. Becker

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2003, 06:08:00 PM »
Look what just happened:
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... um=9#23178

Now, had I thought of that particular quote and remembered it was there, I might have picked it out and edited it into that particular message. But I swear I didn't. It just popped up there. Thanks Dad!!  :wave:

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trust either of them
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679737898/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> P.J. O'Rourke

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2003, 01:01:00 PM »
On 2003-10-13 16:32:00, Carey wrote:

Carey, this thread has made me think about events leading up to my decision to send my child to TB. In the context of some of the recent posts by Ginger, Deborah and others regarding the "politics" of treatment I now in hindsight see things much more clearly. However, I am not trying to make anyone else accountable for my decision.

In the midst of the chaos with my sons, I had police officers tell me "we can't be coming over here all the time. You are the parent, you need to get this under control."  The school counselor said "you gotta get this thing under control." The hospital social worker and the psychiatrist that saw my child said he needed in-patient drug rehab so we sent him to one. After 3 days he walked away from rehab. In talking with the counselor there, he told me they would not allow my son to come back because what he really needed was behavior modification. After several weeks the police found my son and once again he was hospitalized. In the time he was a runaway I found wwasp. I shared the wwasp info with our family counselor, the school counselor, and the hospital social worker who shared it with the psychiatrist at the hospital. They all responded positively and the hospital even contacted ASI so they would have info to share with other parents. And of course, "Dr." Chappuis' evaluation stated that TB was an appropriate placement.

My purpose in sharing this is not to blame but to point out how many of us think "professionals" or people who see these situations all the time are equipped to give us advice when they don't even know anything about what they are recommending.

Changing the subject here, I want to make a statement about this forum. I have learned so much and have really been challenged by you all. So many of my beliefs and opinions have altered by the exchanges of thought and information that occurs. This forum has helped me understand my son; his actions, thoughts, behaviors. It has helped me heal our relationship. It has helped me understand myself and where some of my actions, thoughts, behaviors come from. When I first stumbled in here it was like driving by an accident. I didn't want to see it but I couldn't look away. Eventually, I could read, think, and learn without it being all about me and my regrets. In viewing some of the recent posts on this forum I am concerned that other questioning parents are coming here and concluding (without thinking or learning anything) that we are proof that they have made the proper decision in sending their child away. I am not suggesting censoring anyone, but I am suggesting self-restraint. I have my personal opinions, too but I sincerely hope we can state them without personal and repetitive attacks.

Judy

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2003, 01:56:00 PM »
Judy, thank you SO much for sharing your experience!

I know it takes some dedicated time and thought to sort this stuff out. And I know it's all very unpleasant; like you say, it is a car wreck. It's complicated and ugly and the stakes are so high.

I apologize if I lost my composure and acted ugly. When I see people acting in that same old angry mob way, it does touch a raw nerve with me; especially people who ought to know better! That's what I see in PURE. It's the same old 'higher purpose' slight of mind trick. Demonize all critics, scapegoat some external group and, before you know it, you've got a cause so high and holy as to justify all kinds of bad behavior.

About the authorities:
Back a few years ago, a tv journalist did a really good investigative piece on one of the Straight follow on programs. In it, a representative from an anti-drug coalition in Miami expressed shock and outrage over what he saw on tape and promised to try and start an investigation.

Well I was very encouraged by that and so I called him up a couple of weeks after the piece aired to see how the investigation was going. It wasn't. Frankly, he didn't want to talk to me. So, smelling rat, I looked around their website, followed a few links and found the number for their referal office for So. Florida and asked them if SAFE, Orlando (aka ACE recovery, aka Anchor Foundation) was on their approved referal list. Of course, it was. They're licensed and certified, aren't they? Why, they're even endoursed by the Governor, his wife and the state drug czar, Jim McDonough.

So I asked them if they knew about Jim Gilliland's recent appearance on the local tv news and his take on SAFE. That's when I remembered that these referal lines are usually answered by law enforcement agencies or by private phone centers contracted by law enforcement and wished I'd thought to hit *67 before making the all. They do NOT take well to uppity civilians[sic] questioning their authoritol!

I, for one, don't blame you for taking the advice given you. I blame the 'authorities' for being so arrogant as to pretend to know what they're talking about and never even caring about the results of their bad advice. Bureaucracy at it's finest, eh? Ever read Snitch Culture? It's on my wish list.

Can you imagine trying to find an employed professional in a place like Utah who will even dare look too closely at WWASP?

I like your reasoning in your plea for self restraint. I don't think parents need to be held accountable so much as they need to take more responsibility themselves and their kids and not just put it all off on the presumed experts. Sometimes kids come into trouble because they have issues they need to figure out. But, often enough, kids come into trouble because the adults in charge just seem to really like shooting at their feet and watching them dance.

"Look! There he goes again getting angry and defiant! I told you the kid has trouble!" But isn't it sort of healthy and natural, even admirable, to respond with anger to disrespect and abuse?

I'm glad you're working things out with your son. I'm encouraged very much by your willingness to keep on looking and thinking and trying to understand. That's what it takes, ma'am. If everyone were as responsible and dedicated a mother as you aparently are, there would be no market for these kinds of programs.

One more thing for anyone who wants to take a shot at this. Carey asked a good question before this thread broke down into a full on brawl. How do you find yourself going along with the program for months and (sometimes) years? I could answer based on my experience and observation w/ the program and in other areas in life. For example, at the age of damned near 40, I'm finally starting to learn how to not let my customers sucker me into a lot of free service. Nowhere near as important as what we're talking about here, and I'm not suggesting that it is. But it's a similar psyche/social dynamic at work, I think.

You care to take a shot at that one now that the dust seems to have settled some?

Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.
--Winston Churchill

Straight South (Sarasota, FL)
Anonymity Anonymous

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2003, 11:51:00 AM »
so what ever happened to carey? She's being awfully quiet these days?  :rofl: