Author Topic: Considering full moderation  (Read 17619 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Considering full moderation
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 09:54:21 PM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"
If this were a democracy, I'd vote no on moderation. But this is a dictatorship so my opinion doesn't matter much I'm sure. I think fornits was better when people didn't have to sign in and that is why more people posted back then, it was easier and more anonymous.

Which worked well until people started to abuse it.  No moderation worked well for a while and might end for the same reasons.

Quote from: "psy"
However the experiment failed, and now something needs to be done.  Reactions?  Rules you think are good?  Rules you think are crap?

That's a pretty big statement right there.

I predict that 99% of the discussion is now going to take place in the last unmoderated open free for all forum.

You may very well be right, but at least it won't interfere with those who want a constructive discussion without derailing and constant craziness.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 10:12:01 PM »
The moderated forums on fornits are a lot slower than the two unmoderated TTI and Open Free For All forums, I think there is a reason for that. I think that is also a preview of what the entire forum will look like eventually, traffic wise if the full moderation plan is implemented. The idea that people need to be protected at the cost of freedoms is an old argument, and never produces the intended results.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 10:32:48 PM »
Back in the days when fornits really started to get off the ground, long before people like Whooter John Reuben showed up, discussions went on unmoderated and there were none of the games that are now so commonplace thanks to John and his friends. I think restricting people to a single username, and deleting the kinds of spam and incessant repeat threads that some users like to toss up would help a lot.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 10:40:52 PM »
I'm not opposed to the idea so long as there remain one unmoderated forum. People still need a place to let their craziness run wild, that's have the fun of fornits.  Perhaps you could put it in a password locked forum like the drama box and just walk away from it.

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 09:24:35 AM »
Hahahahahaha... oh fuck, babies and bathwater. You're shitting us, right, Psy? You've got to be shitting us. Please tell me you are shitting us.

Hopefully, if the forum is better organized, more traffic will return.

:rofl:

Hot shit you're fucking clueless.

Place will turn into an absolute ghost town within a week, with nothing but SUCK IT (or whatever the fuck he's calling himself now)/Whooter spam threads. Watch.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
All right, I need to explain (but can't believe that I need to). This is about the dumbest fucking thing you can do. I've seen boards moderated like this. It's not pretty.

You're going to ban people for civility, but not opinions? Hmm, what could possibly go wrong there?

Oh! I know! Someone can come on and post a three-page essay about how Aryans are the superior race and how everyone else deserves a heaping helping of Zyklon-B, all calm and civil-like and sometimes with lots of fake statistics (Whooter's/SUCK IT's posts are actually quite similar to this in terms of bullshit and offensiveness), and whoever says "Fuck off, nazi scum" is the one who gets banned. And if he's been here for a while, you can't post how he's already been discredited multiple times- whoops, that's still attacking the poster!

Do you really think that trying to force posters to pretend to be civil towards one another is going to make them hate each other any less? It's a recipe for passive-aggressiveness and people trying to bait each other into getting banned.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 10:07:09 AM »
Considering the mess this entire board has become, Ginger and I are for the first time seriously considering full moderation.  It's not the topics discussed that's the problem, it's the lack of organization and the constant derailing of threads.  For example, there do not need to be so many threads on the same topic, regardless of what it is.  You might not like it, but right now nobody new is showing up which is not the way the forum used to be.  It's become a funny farm. A total disaster area.  If we decide on full moderation, rules might be:

1. If a thread already exists on a topic, use it.
2. Don't derail threads by changing the topic. Start a new topic.
4. Post your topics in the appropriate forum.
3. No outing of personal identifying information of parents, or teens in programs.
5. Multiple usernames are disallowed if you use them for sockpuppetry (anonymity purposes are fine, for example, if you are going to post in the "I Just" thread).  Sockpuppets will be outed and may result in a ban.
6. No attacking other posters with insults (this includes driving parents off).  You can make your point with civility.
7. One unmoderated forum will remain (open free for all) however it will be opt-in, similar to the drama box.

Punishments for violations would not be retroactive.

Something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30541#p363935

This isn't a democracy.  You're on private property.  If we decide to do this, you'll just have to deal with it.  Just to make it clear, these rules would not ban Whooter, Max, Danny, or whoever for disagreeing with the majority.  They'd apply to everybody equally, regardless of personal views.  Hopefully, if the forum is better organized, more traffic will return.

Yes, we are aware this is a total compromise of the ideals intended originally for the forum.  However the experiment failed, and now something needs to be done.  Reactions?  Rules you think are good?  Rules you think are crap?

Works for me.  Especially the disallowing of the fake program vets and parents, i.e. sockpuppets!
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 10:50:57 AM »
Quote from: "Pile of Dead Kids"
All right, I need to explain (but can't believe that I need to). This is about the dumbest fucking thing you can do. I've seen boards moderated like this. It's not pretty.

You're going to ban people for civility, but not opinions? Hmm, what could possibly go wrong there?

Oh! I know! Someone can come on and post a three-page essay about how Aryans are the superior race and how everyone else deserves a heaping helping of Zyklon-B, all calm and civil-like and sometimes with lots of fake statistics (Whooter's/SUCK IT's posts are actually quite similar to this in terms of bullshit and offensiveness), and whoever says "Fuck off, nazi scum" is the one who gets banned. And if he's been here for a while, you can't post how he's already been discredited multiple times- whoops, that's still attacking the poster!

Do you really think that trying to force posters to pretend to be civil towards one another is going to make them hate each other any less? It's a recipe for passive-aggressiveness and people trying to bait each other into getting banned.

Your post shows that you are threatened by this change.  It will be interesting to see if you can actually have a conversation and share your point of view without attacking or trying to discredit people.

You can take some comfort in the fact that you will be still free to attacking children and their families off this forum, PODKS, driving the wedge further dividing the family resulting in more breakdowns in communication and the local options being taken off the table as you did with Morgan.  Your past actions have only proven to place more kids into programs which is where Morgan is as we speak.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
Well that didn't take long at all.

Whooter, nothing works on me. Not even that.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 01:26:22 PM »
Hahahahahaha... oh fuck, babies and bathwater. You're shitting us, right, Psy? You've got to be shitting us. Please tell me you are shitting us.

No.  I'm not.  Ginger and I made the final decision last night.  I'll be drafting up a new constitution for the forum tonight.  I'll post it publicly for comment, and then ratify it once it meets the group's majority approval.  Outing parents in the way you did before, resulting in a kid being sent to a program, is not going to happen again.  You think parents are likely to listen to anybody on the anti-program side after you out them?  You made us all look like lunatics.  It's unpleasant sometimes but parents ultimately hold the kid's fate in their hands and if it's necessary to hold your tongue and be diplomatic to prevent the kids being sent to programs, it's worth it.  In this one case, Whooter is absolutely right.  You have a good deal of responsibility to bear for Morgan being sent to a program.  Driving off parents for kicks won't be tolerated anymore on this forum.  You weren't even in a program.  What do you care, other than for the drama you feed off of.  As far as I can tell you're pretty much the only person objecting to this.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Watchful Yeoman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 02:00:18 PM »

Hopefully, if the forum is better organized, more traffic will return.

:rofl:

Hot shit you're fucking clueless.

Place will turn into an absolute ghost town within a week, with nothing but SUCK IT (or whatever the fuck he's calling himself now)/Whooter spam threads. Watch.

Agreed.  This will give fuller control to the diverters and disruptors.
"The ricketty and scrofulous little wretch who first sees the light in a work-house, or in a brothel, and who feels the effects of alcohol before the effects of vital air, is not equal in any respect to the ruddy offspring of the honest yeoman; nay, I will go further, and say that a prince, provided he is no better born than royal blood will make him, is not equal to the healthy son of a peasant." [/i]

-John Randolph

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 02:05:47 PM »
Thank you, psy and Antigen.  You have made the right decision.

Fornits has turned into a bunch of bullshit because nobody ever does anything about the trolls and drama whores.  It's long past time to go to better moderation of the forums.

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »
:seg2:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:25:45 AM by Eliscu2 »
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 02:10:43 PM »
Psy, I trust you and Ginger.
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Watchful Yeoman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 02:14:13 PM »
Quote from: "SEKTO"
Fornits has turned into a bunch of bullshit because nobody ever does anything about the trolls and drama whores.

Good point, SEKTO, but the same people who failed to do anything about the trolls before will now also be doing the "moderation" of the forums.  

Fornits has policies in place to deal with the trolls but those policies have been strictly uninforced by the site admin despite many complaints about spamming, flooding, derailing, etc.  Making new policies that won't be properly enforced isn't going to solve the problem.  The problem is lack of enforcement, not lack of policy.

Look at some of the biggest offenders and observe the admin's complete inaction regarding them.  Even after being banned, they are somehow "unbanned" and again turned loose to continue to destroy what this forum once was.
"The ricketty and scrofulous little wretch who first sees the light in a work-house, or in a brothel, and who feels the effects of alcohol before the effects of vital air, is not equal in any respect to the ruddy offspring of the honest yeoman; nay, I will go further, and say that a prince, provided he is no better born than royal blood will make him, is not equal to the healthy son of a peasant." [/i]

-John Randolph