Author Topic: What is music therapy?  (Read 2198 times)

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
What is music therapy?
« on: July 26, 2010, 06:27:52 AM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
?©?€~¥@

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
Re: What is music therapy?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:51:27 AM »
Pseudoscience.

On the other hand, I'd love to do a clinical trial with all these Slayer mp3s.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:10:31 AM »
How can music not be good for you?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:43:04 AM by none-ya »
?©?€~¥@

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
How can musicnot be good for you?

It can be terrible for the psyche if it's sucky music...lol

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »
Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:45:06 PM by Joel »

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:40:09 PM »
Therapeutic? Well maybe not ,but I think this qualifies as music (insert shamless ,self promoting plug here)
http://www.myspace.com/largemammalband
?©?€~¥@

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »
When I was in a treatment center (not one that is listed on this forum BTW) they had a music therapist and also a recreational therapist.I think both of these people did a great job. I never got to participate in the music therapy but talked to the person doing it and they explained a lot of it to me. Its pretty amazing. There have been people who completely recover and become "normal" when they are doing music therapy, it effects the brains in ways we don't know about yet and its very promising. They believe that music actually might help the brain repair itself, and make new connections therefore actually solving some problems rather than say covering them up with strong medications and the like. I have a lot of respect for these people.
one day at a time

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »
Music therapy can be awesome.  My friend is a dance movement therapist, and another is an art therapist. Many people respond cathartically to this. But key is that you direct the movement - its not coercive or punitive. Hell, you can do it at home.  My kids and I dance like maniacs when needing an unlift or we're feeling aggressive after a bad day and it works.  I punish my kids by singing. That works, too.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 02:34:12 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"
Music therapy can be awesome.  My friend is a dance movement therapist, and another is an art therapist. Many people respond cathartically to this. But key is that you direct the movement - its not coercive or punitive. Hell, you can do it at home.  My kids and I dance like maniacs when needing an unlift or we're feeling aggressive after a bad day and it works.  I punish my kids by singing. That works, too.

We all meditate to music, just by listening, then some need to move.

Thanks Samara...
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline justonemore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 01:25:02 PM »
None ya! Music therapy? talk to some O.T.R truckers, see real therapy in action. After all they didn't kill you or me did they? Didn't squash  us like the bugs they see us as, did they?
HOWEVER(wow! that's a big however) I often think that once you grant a degree in something, a lot of the sense goes out of it.  I can tell you about entrainment, about hemispheric quadrantrantizing, etc., but i don't know no music theory, and cain't play no instrument.I jes' knows There's tunes I like, and sounds I don't, and I'll get sick or violent if you try to take me to a Barry Manilow concert.
The hell of it is, It's always been a mystery, and it it ever ain't, well we've really lost something. J.O.M.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 10:13:18 PM »
Music "therapy"  - No degrees necessary. No experts or intermediaries necessary.  Change your music, change your mood, change your mind.

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 02:29:14 AM »
J O M wrote

"None ya! Music therapy? talk to some O.T.R truckers, see real therapy in action. After all they didn't kill you or me did they? Didn't squash us like the bugs they see us as, did they?
HOWEVER(wow! that's a big however) I often think that once you grant a degree in something, a lot of the sense goes out of it. I can tell you about entrainment, about hemispheric quadrantrantizing, etc., but i don't know no music theory, and cain't play no instrument.I jes' knows There's tunes I like, and sounds I don't, and I'll get sick or violent if you try to take me to a Barry Manilow concert.
The hell of it is, It's always been a mystery, and it it ever ain't, well we've really lost something. J.O.M."

Yes
No
Maybe
I don't know
Could you repeat the question?
?©?€~¥@

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 03:52:41 AM »
It's not so hard to understand why behavioral programs forbid listening to music at all. Music can help heal the effects of the program itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPRkgkZHjqI
?©?€~¥@

Offline justonemore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »
None ya ... Indeed, true dat! J.O.M