Author Topic: Academy at Sisters  (Read 70289 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Re: Academy at Sisters
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
It set your daughter back a year.  She obviously couldn't have been "well ahead" unless "well ahead" means "a year behind."  The story about how "all kids went to the college of their choice" is obviously BS because they could not have even gotten a HS diploma from ASR, as you already admitted.  You're going to have to provide some links to facts or stop making these crazy, obviously false statements.

Like I said, Morgan, Academy at Sisters is not accredited by the State of Oregon and no matter what others try to tell you, the credits will only be NAAS credits which will not transfer to accredited high schools and are well known by colleges to be worthless.

Don't let the hucksters here try to fool you.  Do your own research.  Check a few links I provided, too.  Notice the sheisters provide absolutely no facts, links, studies, etc.  All they want is heads in beds, period.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline MorganMDC

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2010, 04:13:22 PM »
Quote from: "Joel"
Morgan I used to work in programs and here are general rules/scenarios.  I am not passing judgement whether they are good or bad.

* You will wake up at *** a.m.
* You will go to sleep at *** p.m.
* You will do chores
* You will eat breakfast at *** a.m.
* You will eat lunch at *** p.m.
* You will eat dinner at *** p.m.
* You will not watch television in your dorm room
* You will use "appropriate language."
* You will wear "appropriate clothing." - No punk type clothing etc.
* You will leave your personal space immaculate before breakfast
* You will not fight
* You will not smoke
* You will not drink
* You will not do drugs
* You will leave the program when your parents feel you're ready
* You will not have access to a telephone if you want to report abuse
* You will be supervised by staff with poor qualifications
* You will stay within staff supervision
* You will not get the quality education the program advertises
* You will be present when staff search your personal property for contraband { Bear in mind staff search your personal property when you are not around}
* You will read approved reading materials
* You will write mail to whom your parents approve
* You will complete work assignments as consequences for rule infractions { This happens at many programs today }
* You will complete writing assignments as consequences for rule infractions { This happens at many programs today }

All the above still listed are things that Chesley has stated herself, or that my mother has told me are true.
As for being allowed home on major holidays/birthdays, they don't specify one way or another - "it can be earned" - but the fact that the place is a four hour drive from my home and friends, means that's probably close to impossible to work out for an overnight stay.
You aren't even allowed telephone calls to anyone until you move to the second campus, which takes a long while, and it's not who your parents approve, it's who your case manager approves.
I'm not sure on the cutting hair part. From the girls my mother took photos of at the first campus in the mountains, they had colored hair, cut at their chosen styles.
The clothing is true as well. They say no bands, no logos, no styles because it's a "conservative dress code".
Drugs, drinking, smoking, those are obvious.

This whole education fiasco is starting to piss me off, frankly.
It needs to be cleared up by facts, so I can present this to my parents if it is a true issue.

Quote from: "Whooter"
Quote from: "MorganMDC"
From a parents perspective many of these kids are not going to high school at all so getting them into a class room and studying  is a big step by itself.  In my daughters case the program she attended worked with a local high school and was able to hand out diplomas. (She graduated from the program and graduated from her local high-school after she got home).   I believe the Academy at Sisters has a similar set-up.

What I suggest is to have the parents ask the school how their academics are set up and how the kids typically do after they go back to their highschools.  Many of the kids at the Academy at Swift River were gaining acceptance to college right from the Academy itself, but it depends on what grade you are in when you enter.  Most programs can gain the children access to taking PSAT's or SAT's.

From my parents perspective, high school is not the issue, college is.
Just to give you an insight as to how the Academy says their education set up is, Chesley told us that all curiclum, programs, credits, etc. is run through Bend High School.
They have to meet the criteria that teachers in that high school would, and as a student, you have to be at the same level as the students attending.
Apparently, your stay at the Academy shows up on your transcript as if you were attending Bend high school.
If all goes well and as is planned, I am only attending this year - which is my sophomore year, - which means I wouldn't be receiving a diploma anyway.
Dysfunction Junction, I don't think my parents see any signs of the Academy giving "unaccredited academics". I'm not sure either way.

Morgan,  This is how the Academy at Swift River was set up too (through a local high school), very similar to AAS.   Some of the kids and parents worried that having a Therapeutic Boarding School on their record would hurt their chances to get into college but all the kids got accepted into their school of choice after graduating.  But it looks like either way Academy at Sisters will not show up on your transcripts.
Many of the kids ended up way ahead academically after they left.

That's what Chesley said.
"They work ahead, and end up above level academically."
Makes you wonder why they have a, what was it, I think 40% success rate, or graduation rate, or something like that.
I may be wrong on the number, but it wasn't to good.
Quote from: \"Nihilanthic\"
I\'m skeletor. I\'m literally the worst person ever.

Skeletor; Depicted as a muscular blue humanoid with a purple hood over his yellowing bare-bone skull.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
It set your daughter back a year.  She obviously couldn't have been "well ahead" unless "well ahead" means "a year behind."  The story about how "all kids went to the college of their choice" is obviously BS because they could not have even gotten a HS diploma from ASR, as you already admitted.  You're going to have to provide some links to facts or stop making these crazy, obviously false statements.

Like I said, Morgan, Academy at Sisters is not accredited by the State of Oregon and no matter what others try to tell you, the credits will only be NAAS credits which will not transfer to accredited high schools and are well known by colleges to be worthless.

Don't let the hucksters here try to fool you.  Do your own research.  Check a few links I provided, too.  Notice the sheisters provide absolutely no facts, links, studies, etc.  All they want is heads in beds, period.

Dysfunction Junction, you seem to be upset.  When a program opens they cant become accredited right away so they usually work with a local high school so that the kids can get credits and then have them transferred to their high school back home.  In the case of those kids who graduate while at the program they work out so that the child receives a diploma either through the local high school or their school back home, each situation is different.

This should not be a stressful point for you and easy to resolve and get answers.  Morgans parents can check with AAS and also speak to parents who have already been through the program.  This is what we did and it worked out fine.  
I am sorry my experience upsets you so much,DJ, but we need to be able to look at all sides in my opinion.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2010, 04:18:22 PM »
Whooter posted anon for a while when he came back after dropping his old username "TheWho."  You can start reading here to get the flow of the conversation and a few posts below Whooter (posting anon) says his daughter actually dropped out of high school and it eventually took her 5 years to graduate because the 16 months she spent at ASR didn't count for any high school credits.  For what it's worth, at the time she was there, ASR was legally barred from issuing state diplomas and was not accredited at all, contrary to what Whooter says in this thread.  In the link above he even says they were working on accreditation.

He also says she was smoking pot and drinking.  Dropping out + still using drugs + still drinking underage does not = "the program was successful" IMHO.  Rather it seems to have been a complete waste of time and money, not to mention setting her back 16 months academically.

Please, Morgan, let your parents know about these programs that are not allowed to issue high school credits.  I did a quick search on the Academy at Sisters on the Oregon department of Education website (you can enter the search terms "Academy at Sisters" here and see for yourself) and for the years they have data they show no graduates went on to college after leaving there.  They only "graduate" about 4 kids per year as well.

So there is absolutely no record of them going through Bend high school during the time you're schooling with them?
Wow, thanks.
How lovely.

Nope, you would get a worthless NAAS diploma with "J Bar J Learning Center" on it.  Anyone looking up "J Bar J Learning Center" will immediately see it's a "program of J Bar J youth services"  

They might as well just put the name "Troubled Teen" at the top and "Reform School" at the bottom.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline MorganMDC

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »
Whooter posted anon for a while when he came back after dropping his old username "TheWho."  You can start reading here to get the flow of the conversation and a few posts below Whooter (posting anon) says his daughter actually dropped out of high school and it eventually took her 5 years to graduate because the 16 months she spent at ASR didn't count for any high school credits.  For what it's worth, at the time she was there, ASR was legally barred from issuing state diplomas and was not accredited at all, contrary to what Whooter says in this thread.  In the link above he even says they were working on accreditation.

He also says she was smoking pot and drinking.  Dropping out + still using drugs + still drinking underage does not = "the program was successful" IMHO.  Rather it seems to have been a complete waste of time and money, not to mention setting her back 16 months academically.

Please, Morgan, let your parents know about these programs that are not allowed to issue high school credits.  I did a quick search on the Academy at Sisters on the Oregon department of Education website (you can enter the search terms "Academy at Sisters" here and see for yourself) and for the years they have data they show no graduates went on to college after leaving there.  They only "graduate" about 4 kids per year as well.

So there is absolutely no record of them going through Bend high school during the time you're schooling with them?
Wow, thanks.
How lovely.

Nope, you would get a worthless NAAS diploma with "J Bar J Learning Center" on it.  Anyone looking up "J Bar J Learning Center" will immediately see it's a "program of J Bar J youth services"  

They might as well just put the name "Troubled Teen" at the top and "Reform School" at the bottom.
Lovely lovely.
Whooter and you seem to have completely different views on my future educational reality.
Question is, which one will my parents buy into.

Skeletor; Depicted as a muscular blue humanoid with a purple hood over his yellowing bare-bone skull.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2010, 04:23:06 PM »

Makes you wonder why they have a, what was it, I think 40% success rate, or graduation rate, or something like that.

I have seen numbers saying 80% elsewhere and this depends on the kids themselves.  The graduation rate I would think depends on how old the kids are when they enter AAS.  I would guess not many would graduate while at AAS and most graduate after they get home.  But yeah, 40% seems a little low for a success rate.  I would look into that.

Offline MorganMDC

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »

I have seen numbers saying 80% elsewhere and this depends on the kids themselves.  The graduation rate I would think depends on how old the kids are when they enter AAS.  I would guess not many would graduate while at AAS and most graduate after they get home.  But yeah, 40% seems a little low for a success rate.  I would look into that.

Again, I'm thinking 40%, but I could be incorrect.
I wouldn't be graduating during my stay at AAS anyway, so that's not my concern. Putting myself back a year is.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2010, 04:28:49 PM »
Lovely lovely.
Whooter and you seem to have completely different views on my future educational reality.

When in doubt contact the school and ask.  If you feel you want further info ask to speak with a parent/family who has been through AAS recently.  That typically clears up most questions.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »

Again, I'm thinking 40%, but I could be incorrect.
I wouldn't be graduating during my stay at AAS anyway, so that's not my concern. Putting myself back a year is.

Not much chance of you slipping back with all the study time you have over the next year.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
When a program opens they cant become accredited right away so they usually work with a local high school so that the kids can get credits and then have them transferred to their high school back home. In the case of those kids who graduate while at the program they work out so that the child receives a diploma either through the local high school or their school back home.

All we can go by here is your own daughter who didn't get any HS credits from her unaccredited program and took five years to graduate a four year high school because she lost a whole years' worth of work.  This doesn't upset me in the least.  The rest of what you're saying, I see, is not documented by any independent sources, just your word, which is not really any good.  

If you have any evidence to support your statements, just post it.  I'd be glad to review what you have.  No sense in trying to paint a picture of other people's emotions when all we're doing is having a conversation and sharing our research links.  Well, I am providing links, anayway.  You haven't supported anything you have said yet, but we're waiting.

So far all we have is your daughter got no credits and took an extra year to graduate high school due to her unaccredited program academics.

Lovely lovely.

It's really simple.  Just look into it yourself and show them.  4 "graduates" per year and zero go on to college for the years they reported to the state.  

As far as Whooter's version, just look what he says about his own kid - lost a year of credits and took 5 years to graduate. His words, not mine.  That, plus only his "guesses" - no facts, no links, no nothing.

Ask the state department of Ed.  Don't rely on any program to shoot you straight.  They want your money.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline MorganMDC

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
Lovely lovely.

When in doubt contact the school and ask.  If you feel you want further info ask to speak with a parent/family who has been through AAS recently.  That typically clears up most questions.

I'll agree with Dysfunction Junction here.
I see no statistics or anything backing these statements up.
We don't have contact with families who have been through AAS.
The schools told us they work with Bend high school... That's it.

Joel, None.
This is not my choice, never has been, never will be.
I agreed to do counseling and whatever else it took locally.
As I've stated earlier, my mother/possibly father made the decision against it.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2010, 04:40:48 PM »
When a program opens they cant become accredited right away so they usually work with a local high school so that the kids can get credits and then have them transferred to their high school back home. In the case of those kids who graduate while at the program they work out so that the child receives a diploma either through the local high school or their school back home.

All we can go by here is your own daughter who didn't get any HS credits from her unaccredited program and took five years to graduate a four year high school because she lost a whole years' worth of work.  This doesn't upset me in the least.  The rest of what you're saying, I see, is not documented by any independent sources, just your word, which is not really any good.  

If you have any evidence to support your statements, just post it.  I'd be glad to review what you have.  No sense in trying to paint a picture of other people's emotions when all we're doing is having a conversation and sharing our research links.  Well, I am providing links, anayway.  You haven't supported anything you have said yet, but we're waiting.

So far all we have is your daughter got no credits and took an extra year to graduate high school due to her unaccredited program academics.

wow, I have never seen someone so upset that my daughter did so well at ASR lol.  I am telling you of my experience, DJ, calm down.  We are just two people on the internet.  Morgan nor her parents are not going to hang their future on this conversation.  We are just trying to help with what we know.

This will allow them to know what questions to ask the school and parents who had kids graduate or attend when the time comes and what to expect, that is all.  I think allowing them to see 2 opposing points of view is very good for everyone.  We wouldn't want to just provide a one sided argument.  How could they make a balanced decision?
But anyway lets not muck up this thread with bickering between ourselves.  This is about Morgan and her family.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 10, 2010, 05:04:25 PM »
Yeah, about how Morgan is going to get screwed royally by a program which will set her back academically, fuck her up emotionally, destroy the relationship with her parents, and put her through intense stress and abuse for its duration.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline MorganMDC

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 10, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »
Quote from: "Nihilanthic"
Yeah, about how Morgan is going to get screwed royally by a program which will set her back academically, fuck her up emotionally, destroy the relationship with her parents, and put her through intense stress and abuse for its duration.
That's what it's all about, right there.
The cold hard truth.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 10, 2010, 05:24:12 PM »
my daughter did so well at ASR

But...

She started seeing her old friends again, smoked pot and drank...

She has graduated now,but she did dropped out for awhile...took her 5 years.

I see your point, my daughter went Boom!! When she got home and I tried not to panic, although I did inside...

Ohhhh, so "did so well" is just another way of saying "lost a year of academic credit, took five years to finish high school, drank and did drugs."  Got it.  Nice to know you have some whole other version of the English language to suit your agenda.

See what I'm saying, Morgan?  This is the typical program experience and because it set someone back $60-$80 grand they feel this intense need to try to spin it as "did so well," or have to admit they wasted their money and their kids' time.  This is what these folks cling to like a life raft.  And when you just point it out they accuse you of being "upset" over their "success."  You can't make it up.

Maybe if you ask him some questions he'll answer you instead of just trying to assign some of his own emotions to you.

Here's one to start:
If your daughter was "well ahead academically" why did it take five years to graduate high school instead of three or four?

Be patient, and keep asking until you get an answer that doesn't require a "George Orwell 1984 decoder ring" to decipher...

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:32:34 PM by Troll Control »
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control