Author Topic: Send Postcards to Brendan  (Read 11837 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Send Postcards to Brendan
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »
Taken off of facebook:

Someone had the idea to flood DRA with postcards for Brendan. We want an absolute DELUGE of letters. kind of like what they do in China when they imprison religious leaders. as a form of peaceful protests, the people inundate the prison with so much mail that they cannot function. Here is the addy for DRA:

Brendan Spelman
c/o Diamond Ranch Academy
1500 East 2700 South
Hurricane, UT 84737

Postcards are cheap, even cheaper than a stamp on an envelope.

Just address it to Brendan Spelman and write a message of hope.

Let's do it!

also, please repost this group and the DRA address to your own wall. Then all YOUR friends can do the same thing!

I'll be sending 5 postcards off tomorrow, might even send a couple of empty packages as well. Knowing DRA they won't let him get anything not authorized by his parent's so it has the potential for amusement.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Re: Send Postcards to Brendan
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »
I'll be sending 5 postcards off tomorrow, might even send a couple of empty packages as well. Knowing DRA they won't let him get anything not authorized by his parent's so it has the potential for amusement.

Isn't it a federal offense to interfere with the delivery of the US mail?

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:42:05 AM »
Knowing the size and breadth of negative influence awaiting Brendan when he gets home he will have to be much more prepared and much stronger than the other students to withstand this pressure which could translate into a longer stay.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »
Only one problem - length of stay has nothing to do with post-program success.  John Reuben's son, Mike, graduated ASR and his dad set him up in a cushy job (made him an executive of a company at 20 years old with no training or education) - he had all the advantages.  But now he's dead of an OD.  But he graduated.  And he still ODed.  

Makes sense.  No treatment for 6 or 8 months is the same amount of treatment as no treatment for 12 or 18 months.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 02:11:25 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Only one problem - length of stay has nothing to do with post-program success.  John Reuben's son, Mike, graduated ASR and his dad set him up in a cushy job (made him an executive of a company at 20 years old with no training or education) - he had all the advantages.  But now he's dead of an OD.  But he graduated.  And he still ODed.  

Makes sense.  No treatment for 6 or 8 months is the same amount of treatment as no treatment for 12 or 18 months.

That's assuming Mike Reuben even wanted that job.  He looked like he wanted to be a musician far more than being shoved into his father's business.  Obviously he wasn't happy.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »
sent 3 today.

Offline gjsarah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:10:45 PM »
thanks for sending postcards.  i know everything we're doing, from the reports to ken stettler, to the myspace/fb groups, to the letter writing campaign, all of these things are having an impact.  ricky dias (owner's son) has contacted two survivors who have published their experiences and have reported them to authorities.  he's been trying to sweet-talk them into changing their stories.  

brendan's mom and grandmother went out to DRA for a tour and a seminar.  they got to ride on a golf cart because of the grandmother's senior citizenry(!).  they "happened" upon brendan who was outside at a table with a few other kids.  he was able to see his mother and grandmother both inside a building and outside in an open area.  we doubt that brendan will tell his mother the whole truth, but we do find it interesting that after less than four weeks b saw relatives.  normally it's a minimum of ten weeks before that occurs.  his mother has said she wants us to give her time to heal her family.  apparently, she and b's dad have "homework" to do everyday and are held accountable by the therapists.  b is also receiving therapy every day (so we are told) by the chief therapist (again, so we are told).  this is not the norm as far as we can see.  again, we think they are individualizing a bit because of our intense scrutiny.

please continue to send letters and cards with messages of support.  eventually he will get his mail (so we are told).  i just envision piles upon piles...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 04:40:02 PM »
:bump:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:14:29 PM »
Flag each of these videos as child abuse.

http://www.youtube.com/helpingfamilies

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:25:39 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Flag each of these videos as child abuse.

http://www.youtube.com/helpingfamilies

This why we need to redefine the word abuse here.  I saw the tapes and would not define it as such.  To me child abuse is a very diferent thing. So now when a kid comes on and says they were abused in a program we need to consider the definition change here on fornits and take it with a grain of salt.  Maybe the kid was told to stay in their dorm room all day working on school work or told to do the dishes thereby enduring abuse or being forced to watch a video of stressed out parents!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »
Quote from: "TheWho"

This why we need to redefine the word abuse here.  I saw the tapes and would not define it as such.  To me child abuse is a very diferent thing. So now when a kid comes on and says they were abused in a program we need to consider the definition change here on fornits and take it with a grain of salt.  Maybe the kid was told to stay in their dorm room all day working on school work or told to do the dishes thereby enduring abuse or being forced to watch a video of stressed out parents!!

So you know, I make a point of doing one enrollment-depleting action against a program (straight to the parents, letters to state legislators not used to receiving them, warning children, etc) for each of your posts. It keeps me from slacking off.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 06:43:29 PM »
Quote from: "RobertBruce"
Quote from: "TheWho"

So you know, I make a point of doing one enrollment-depleting action against a program (straight to the parents, letters to state legislators not used to receiving them, warning children, etc) for each of your posts. It keeps me from slacking off.

Bruce, Everyone should try to keep busy with activities which make them happy.  It keeps people well adjusted. So keep at it, you have a lot of letters to write.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 07:23:15 PM »
I'll pick some up on saturday and send em.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
brendan's mom and grandmother went out to DRA for a tour and a seminar. they got to ride on a golf cart because of the grandmother's senior citizenry(!). they "happened" upon brendan who was outside at a table with a few other kids. he was able to see his mother and grandmother both inside a building and outside in an open area.
When we visited, we were able to walk the area and speak with kids at will.  Some of the campuses are fairly nice and open spaced depending on the time of year you go.
we doubt that brendan will tell his mother the whole truth,
The school will work on these issues and Brendans tendencies towards lying will be addressed if this is an issue with him.

but we do find it interesting that after less than four weeks b saw relatives. normally it's a minimum of ten weeks before that occurs. his mother has said she wants us to give her time to heal her family.
Sometimes they allow older relatives to visit who can have a positive influence on them.  But typically it is 10 weeks (like you said) or longer to see people outside the immediate family.  Its always a good idea to keep the childs world as small as possible and not introduce too many outside influences early on.

apparently, she and b's dad have "homework" to do everyday and are held accountable by the therapists.
Thats great!!  There are so many people who think that the problem lies only with the child but in many cases it is a family issue.  Many families have to work just as hard as the child who is in the program to change and adjust.

b is also receiving therapy every day (so we are told) by the chief therapist (again, so we are told). this is not the norm as far as we can see. again, we think they are individualizing a bit because of our intense scrutiny.
The therapy depends on the individual child.  Some kids only need to see a therapist once a week others daily.

please continue to send letters and cards with messages of support. eventually he will get his mail (so we are told). i just envision piles upon piles...
This is a great idea.  There are many people who have never heard of diamond Ranch before and this action could bring it to the forefront.  If it works out well and this gets enough media attention they may want to interview the family.

Offline gjsarah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »
dear guest,

clearly you know nothing about brendan.  but you are kick-ass at cherry-picking.

gj