Author Topic: Has anyone spent anytime in Russia?  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Has anyone spent anytime in Russia?
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:15:34 AM »
I got a decent job offer at a school in Russia, anyone ever spend time there?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone spent anytime in Russia?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 03:25:13 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
I got a decent job offer at a school in Russia, anyone ever spend time there?
Our good friend Bob Peterson would appear to know quite a bit about Russia ... judging from his user profile!  :D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline karate man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:22:03 AM »
what city? i've never been but i want to work there one day.

http://www.expat.ru/vacancies.php

thats a good site. there are forums there that will answer pretty much any question you have.

http://moscowdoesntbelieveintears.blogspot.com/

i really like this blog, moscow fashion/nightlife/art reporter.

my understanding is that russian cities are still a bit 'weird' in the sense that they arent fully developed to support
consumerism. like shops are hidden and grocery stores have opaque windows. but they have wicked nightclubs.

moscow and st. pete's are super expensive. people apparently judge each other a lot on how much money they make.

you should deffianetly go, i think it would be awesome! russian women would be interesting to meet. lots of culture, history. russian women.

oh, ,their work visa system and their residence permit system is apparently a HUGE bitch. the expat site his info on that.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
Yeah I'm gathering the visa system is a real pain in the balls. Thanks for the links, I'll look them over later, and maybe register on their forums if I have any questions.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
Russia is alright. I grew up there. heres the thing:

russian business is handled very informally. things are agreed upon with handshakes, not contracts. You get things done by knowing people, not knowing things or having experience. at the same time, if you piss someone off things are likewise handled informally, and you might find yourself on the wrong end of a gun, knife, or fist; instead of being taken to court or just fired from your company. Everything is extremely corrupt, even as a teacher expect to be paying someone off to not fuck with you. especially since you are an american, people will want to hustle you. russia is a nation full of hustlers. after 70 years of communism, twenty years later they are all still hungry for capitalism, upward mobility, and money. it's very cutthroat. you have to be tough. Also as another aftereffect of communism, you'll find scores of people who are just wandering through life trying to survive on a bottle of vodka a day. People were told what to do and what to think for 70 years - three generations - the concept of individuality, of individual choice of action and lifestyle, one's choice of life direction is a difficult concept for many to grasp. You think american crack ghettos are bad? wait till you see the bands of orphans as young as five running through moscow (particularly the train stations) stealing everything in sight, huffing anything that has a chemical smell, finishing people's discarded cig buts, and drinking rotgut all day. The infrastructure is very bad also. the roads suck and are accident prone, and the drivers are horrible (half of em are drunk!). the water is atrocious, never ever drink from the tap, always ask for bottled water.

all in all, russia still is very much like the wild west albeit very civilized and sophisticated. you can do whatever the fuck you want if you have money - pretty much everyone in russia takes bribes, and if they dont, there getting fired soon for not taking any bribes.

what the other guy said about money and expenses is true, same about the clubs.
here's a joke that illustrates my point:

Ivan comes from st. petersburg to moscow to see his friend Igor, and notices when he first greets him that they both have the same exact phone - an iphone.
"how much did you pay for that phone, Igor?" says Ivan. "seven hundred euros and it's a stolen one from england!" replies Igor. Ivan responds in disgust, "is that it?! seven hundred!? you were ripped off! I paid fifteen hundred, and mine was shipped from america, unlocked in japan, shipped around the world one more time for good measure and finally shipped to me here in moscow. when i picked it up at the store, they even served it to me with some caviar and vodka!"

The women have the same sort of attitude. to them, their duty in life is to be pampered and showered with expensive things. that is the ideal of the russian people - the russian dream. in america, girls have "big house, three kids, nice neighborhood, adorable husband, cute dog and nice car" in mind when they are scouting out for a mate, and only if they are planning on getting married. casual american daters just look for someone emotionally compatible and physically attractive. Russian women are about as deep as the vodka they are drinking. All they care about is "what is this guy's buying power? what is his level of fear and respect?, how much jewlery can i get out of him?" thats it. trust me. thats all 99% of russian women care about. that, and weather or not her potential mate can get her the fuck out of the country and to either USA, france, england, or australia. all the men are hustlers or alchoholics, or both. the only reason for a man to not be an alcoholic is because he wants to be a tough-guy hustler (a la Vlad Putin), but russians have tons of practice and plenty  of practice being functional alcoholics (yeltsin).

another russian peculiarity: expect EVERYTHING to be broken and mcguyvered into functionality. i mean EVERYTHING. People dont have the money to buy new like in america, nor does the government have enough money to maintain the crumbling infrastructure. but, life must go on, so people make do with what they have. You'll find some ingenious fixes, along with some downright scary ones.  

shallow people, corrupt government, rampant organized crime, infantile capitalism, and run down infrastructure. not my cup of tea. there's a reason i left and came to the U.S....same reason everyone else in russia is either trying to get out or is dropping dead. You'd have to be INSANE to want to expat into russia. there's much better places out there.

Oh, forgot to mention, no matter what they say, you wont be getting paid anywhere near as much as they are claiming. you'll get there and find that a dozen people have already weaseled away half your paycheck before taxes....for "protection" and other crucial services for keeping yourself intact and alive. I had a freind just like you who was an american and took a teaching job in russia. he invested alot of time and money into it, and lost it all. he pissed off the director of the school by teaching the "liberal american" view of communism (e.g it's ok, good system, doesnt work with big populations, everyone thus far has fucked it up, yada yada...). That director got drunk at the bar and told some friends "what this stupid american idiot thinks about communism"...the next day there a bunch of goons with guns showed up at the guy's house telling him that if he ever steps foot in a classroom in russia again they will tear his balls out and make him eat them "so he can taste what communism is like".

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »
Luckily for me I have a nice nut set aside in my international dollar account to tide me over if I feel the need to bail out of Russia. When you describe it that way you make it wayyyyyyyy to tempting to go. Reminds me of Cambodia back before the tourists turned it into a civilized country.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 07:17:03 AM »
I was going to say ..the Russian crime syndicate is one of the worst, and government is completely corrupt. Make sure someone outside knows where you are. Its easy to make someone disappear in Russia.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:16:45 AM »
All I know about Russian culture is that when the Russian mafia came to So Florida the hookers and strippers were crying for the good old daze when the Italian mafia ran things.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 12:13:13 PM »
The russian mafia is BAD. they make the italian mafia look like choir boys in comparison. If i were you, che, i'd read up on the mafia a little before you go, learn about who they are and how they handle business.

this is what i can tell you in short:
Italian mafia: cocaine, heroin, small guns, careful well planned homicides with profession hitmen, modesty, racketeering.

Russian mafia: all the above, plus thorough corruption in government and big industry. they deal with diamonds, oil, metals (read about the aluminum wars or the history of yukos)....all the commodities, along with the human slave trade (they trick girls into coming to amsterdam or spain, then keep them there against their will as sex slaves/prostitutes), large shipments of military weapons (look up "tarzan", the miami boss of the 80's, and how he tried to sell a soviet nuclear submarine to drug traffickers. "u want sub? with or without missiles?!" lol). The italian mafia has glocks and revolvers. the russian mafia has tanks and helicopters.  the italian mafia kills the witness by shooting them. the russian mafia kills their entire extended family along with the next door neighbors and co workers by cutting their heads off and tossing them into the street.

most of the russian mafia has roots dating back 200+ years in the russian penal system, which took hold and rose to power during the great purge (when everyone got sent to gulags). The umbrella organization pretty much every mafia man belongs to is a prison gang called vory v zakonye ("theives within law", meaning they are thieves bound by a common law that applies only to them). there are different clans and organizations, they all fight, but they all (or at least their leaders) all belong to the vory.

here is the laws of the vory. Many of these laws date back to the soviet era and many do not follow the principles to the letter (e.g the ones about family or commerce), although this still remains the backbone of russian organized crime.

*Forsake his relatives -- father, brothers, sisters...
*Not have a family of his own -- no wife, no children; this does not however, preclude him from having a lover.
*Never, under any circumstances work, no matter how much difficulty this brings; live only on means gleaned from theft. Violent crimes and sex crimes are strongly frowned upon and may endanger a "vor's" status. Arms smuggling and drug trafficking are considered a form of commerce and are therefore incompatible with the status of a thief in law.
*Help other thieves -- both by moral and material support, utilizing the commune of thieves.
*Keep secret information about the whereabouts of accomplices (i.e. dens, districts, hideouts, safe apartments, etc
*In unavoidable situations (if a thief is under investigation) to take the blame for someone else's crime; this buys the other person time of freedom.
*Demand a convocation of inquiry for the purpose of resolving disputes in the event of a conflict between oneself and other thieves, or between thieves.
*If necessary, participate in such inquiries.
*Carry out the punishment of the offending thief as decided by the convocation.
*Not resist carrying out the decision of punishing the offending thief who is found guilty, with punishment determined by the convocation.
*Have good command of the thieves' jargon ("Fenya")
*Not gamble without being able to cover losses.
*Teach the trade to young beginners.
*Have, if possible, informants from the rank and file of thieves.
*Not lose your reasoning ability when using alcohol
*Have nothing to do with the authorities (particularly with the ITU, Correctional Labor Authority), not participate in public activities, nor join any community organizations.
*Not take weapons from the hands of authorities; not serve in the military.
*Make good on promises given to other thieves.

--------------------------------------
in terms of mafia tho, you should be fine. just be aware that they are out there and they run EVERYTHING. being a teacher, the worst that can happen given that you dont piss anyone off is that local thugs might hustle you for protection. Remember that "protection" is also a commodity. if one gang wants say $300 a month, go to another gang on your own and cut a deal for $250 a month - they will keep the other gang off your back. it's called a "krysha" or "roof", everyone making money in russia has one.

another tip is carry around a stash of bribe money. It's not just a matter of bribing the cops when you get caught for say smoking some pot.....it's a matter of bribing the cops when they stop you and start claiming youre the murder suspect they've been looking for and will throw you in jail unless you give them money.

another tip: learn to drink. If you dont drink, you offend. you must drink with every toast (which happens every two seconds at a russian dinner). if you drink and get wasted, you offend even more. Learning to drink does not just mean tolerance - it means knowing what to eat with the vodka. pay attention to the russian cuisine - baked potatoes, pickles, and pickled herring is not there for just tasty eating, it's there for soaking up alcohol when in your stomach.

also, stay away from black (beluga, sturgeon) caviar from the black sea - the black sea is heavily polluted and the caviar is full of toxins and harmfull bacteria. I know quite a few people who were hospitalized, and a couple that actually died from eating a bad jar of  black sea caviar. Sometimes it's good....but it's really a gamble. you never know. it's like playing russian roulette with your digestive system.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
yeah even though the caviar can be up to a thousand dollars an ounce, dont trust anything from the black sea. shit is toxic. in russia, Price doesnt mean quality, it just means that is the maximum someone is willing to pay for it to show off for his date. it might really be worth one dollar, but they jack it up because that's the only way russians judge quality.

another thing i forgot to mention, is the cigarettes and vodka. it's extremely cheap, and 99% of it is crap. russian cigs are the worst in the world, there mostly just stems and nicotine-soaked paper and crap like that, with very little tobacco. of course, you can buy a carton for under a dollar, and there all double the strength of american retts, but they'll kill you a thousand times faster. and the vodka...you can also get a handle for under a dollar. dont buy the stuff. russians with money dont drink real russian vodka, or they'd all be blind by 40 and dead at 50 like many of the poor. The most favored brands of vodka are not russian brands (except for stoly) - the good stuff is same as in america - grey goose, absolute, svedka, etc.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »
What was stated about the cigarettes was true but Russia has the best Vodka going.  They make the best bread but it only last a day because there are no preservatives.  You will notice that everyone carries a bag around because they dont supply one at the stores.You need to have a good friend or translator take you around.  If you speak English many end up charging you double or triple (foreigners rate they call it).

I speak of people outside the city... I am not familiar with inner city.. Moscow, St. Petersburg etc..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 09:21:23 PM »
the thing about russian vodka is that there is alot of counterfeit/shine vodka going around thats labeled as the real brand. gangsters have been known to ship industrial alchohol from the US then purify and dilute it into "vodka" to avoid taxes. another problem is lack of quality controls. in US, alchohol is legally required to have a certain amount or less of certain "bad" byproducts of crappy distilation such as methyl alcohol, which makes you go blind. it may be tasty, people may like it, but any russian worth his weight in alchohol doesnt drnk the cheap domestic vodka.

bread is good. get black bread (pumpernickle) its the traditional russian bread. nothing too special about the bread or any other russian consumable products. traditional russian food is very simple and also in many cases an aquired taste. lots of root vegetables, lamb, pickled everything and tons of dill on everything. all the other food - foreign and fusion - is average compared to any other big city ( paris, london, ny, la, etc)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 09:37:07 PM »
Che, you are so going to get your ass kicked.
Just by your reply to all the valuable info that yes provided, shows you have no true respect and that will get you fucked up in Russia.
Russia ain't China where you can make fun of the people and their culture because you think that as an American, your view is the correct one, which you have done on many occasions.

You make squat in China as an English teacher (English teachers are a joke in China) and you think you'll make more in Russia?
Have you even done a look see trip?
I think you just post this shit for attention

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 09:53:53 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
the thing about russian vodka is that there is alot of counterfeit/shine vodka going around thats labeled as the real brand. gangsters have been known to ship industrial alchohol from the US then purify and dilute it into "vodka" to avoid taxes. another problem is lack of quality controls. in US, alchohol is legally required to have a certain amount or less of certain "bad" byproducts of crappy distilation such as methyl alcohol, which makes you go blind. it may be tasty, people may like it, but any russian worth his weight in alchohol doesnt drnk the cheap domestic vodka.

bread is good. get black bread (pumpernickle) its the traditional russian bread. nothing too special about the bread or any other russian consumable products. traditional russian food is very simple and also in many cases an aquired taste. lots of root vegetables, lamb, pickled everything and tons of dill on everything. all the other food - foreign and fusion - is average compared to any other big city ( paris, london, ny, la, etc)

Dill!! I got so sick of dill I cant even stand the smell of it anymore.  dill on everything is right.  They even have a dill pizza.   You need to watch everything you buy too.  Your bottled water may be just filled by the local tap to recycle a bottle they found in the street, so look at the caps closely.  I had gotten home to find my beer bottles I just bought were filled with water.  No one smiles and they seem so unfriendly but when you make a friend it will be a true friend.  They are very good people for the most part just very unhappy and depressed, especially the men (unless they are drinking).  The women are very social and well adjusted and are the ones who are building the country back up.  They are the doctors and teachers now, the ones getting educated... the men only drink and hunt on weekends.
School teachers make about $90-$120 a month unless you can teach english to the rich on the side, that pays much better.  Prostitution pays better than a doctors salary so do the math.  There are alot of prostitutes with Phds there trying to save enough to get the hell out.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 11:11:37 PM »
hmm... a look see trip sounds like a good plan.