Author Topic: Controversy spurs gentler approach in Utah wilderness  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Controversy spurs gentler approach in Utah wilderness
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:55:18 PM »
The article has pictures and videos and a comment section.

http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_10438421

Controversy spurs gentler approach in Utah wilderness-therapy camps

Multimedia: Take a trip with Aspiro; click on map for program profiles
By Lindsay Whitehurst and Brian Maffly
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 09/12/2008 02:41:54 PM MDT

Jessica suddenly stopped hiking.
    "I can't do it," the 17-year-old panted, her dark hair damp and curled with sweat. The July sun blazed over the redrock of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, pounding the teenagers hiking down the sage-covered sweep of Coyote Gulch.
    "I'm seeing double. I have to stop," she said, her voice raw.

Liz Stika, a guide with wilderness therapy camp Aspiro, helped Jessica out of her 50-pound backpack and handed her a water bottle. "You are so much bigger than this," she said soothingly.

Jessica is one of hundreds of teens who annually pass through Utah's wilderness therapy programs, which thrive on the state's breathtaking and secluded public lands. Charging up to $30,000 for a stay of six to eight weeks, the industry contends immersion in nature - with a focus on self-sufficiency - helps teens who are estranged from their parents, battling substance abuse or coping with moderate mental illness.

The camps face continual controversy: Five teens died in Utah wilderness programs between 1990 and 2002, and a Utah teenager died in a Colorado program in 2007. A federal report released in October 2007 highlighted deaths, abuse and misleading marketing in camps and other residential-treatment programs across the country.

But Utah's 10 current programs say they have abandoned "boot camp" regimens tied to the abuses for a gentler, more targeted approach. They no longer welcome kids with violent criminal histories or severe mental illness. And they face some of the nation's toughest state rules, which include targets for backpack weights, hiking temperatures and calorie counts in menus.

Nearly all of Utah's camps say they have therapists with graduate degrees, and engage parents as well as the teens. Most say they minimize coercion - such as making a teen get out of bed or to carry his pack - in favor of "inviting" students to make positive choices.

Campers are separated from wayward friends, drugs and alcohol, and get regular therapy, exercise and healthful food. Generally, such a setting would help troubled teens, said Paul Florsheim, a psychology professor at the University of Wisconsin.

But proof that the camps create lasting change, Florsheim and others note, remains sparse.

Back on the redrock, Jessica took a deep breath and agreed to go on. Within minutes, she was grasping a rope and picking her way down a 12-foot drop to a dry riverbed below.

After two months of therapy at camp, she had revealed to her parents that a sexual assault by an acquaintance was behind her withdrawal and her new friendship with a drug dealer at home in Virginia.

"Being at Aspiro definitely helped me ... not let it control my life anymore," she said. "None of this is really about the hiking. It's about what you need to work on." Learning in nature: Teens at Hanna-based Aspiro get "adventure therapy" - mountain biking, rafting and rock climbing in Utah's "coolest" spots. While still physically demanding, the program offers modern comforts, such as nylon frame backpacks and propane stoves.

Overcoming physical limitations helps kids push past problems said Dan Lemaire, its 25-year-old head of instruction. "I don't think there's a place for primitive skills only."

But the rest of Utah's camps pitch hiking and survival skills - making a fire using a bow and arrow, setting traps for game -- as the best way wilderness can break through a teen's problems. The element of risk in being isolated in the desert makes therapy effective, said Andrew Powell, a field director for Outback Therapeutic Expeditions.

At Lehi-based Outback, kids build backpacks from sticks and leather, carve their own spoons from juniper and are given talismans to mark accomplishments.

Most of the teens in Utah camps are from affluent white families from around the country. Jason, a 17-year-old sent to Outback from Arizona, said his grades plummeted after he started smoking pot and lying to his parents. He had been in Utah for about six weeks when they arrived for a July reunion.

He called to them with his "bullroarer," a piece of wood swung on a string to communicate across open distances.

"I'm keeping mine forever. It's the happiest thing to swing that and know they'll be there," said Jason, a thin teen with intense brown eyes. "They saw me as a different person."

On an August day, the eight boys in Jason's group were working on therapy assignments, bathing and restocking their food. Between chores, they hollowed gourds for carrying water with tiny abrasive pebbles found at anthills.

The students were proud of simple things - their handmade Aboriginal didgeridoos; their ability to "bust a coal" - or start a fire with a drill-and-bow set, twirling a wooden peg into a board.

"It's a tenet of any ancient culture, whether it's a walkabout or vision quest. You send the adolescent out and they would learn from the trees, rocks and skies. It's enough for them to turn the corner of their past," Outback founder Rick Meeves said.

"This gets them away from all their distractions, the video games and from their failing environments, where there's nothing for them to listen to but the sound of their own voice," he said.

Do camps work? Research on long-term results for all types of residential treatment for youth is surprisingly scant, experts say.
    Most research into wilderness therapy focuses on whether it improves the parent-child relationship, seen as a key factor in a teen's mental health.
    Joanna Bettman, a University of Utah professor of social work, has tracked students at Aspen Achievement Academy, a Loa-based program where she first worked as a field counselor in 1994.

For kids without antisocial disorders or severe mental illness, studies indicate wilderness therapy does help that relationship, said Bettman, also clinical director at the Open Sky program in Durango, Colo.

Still, the results of her interviews with students - at admission and seven weeks later at discharge - were mixed.

Teens "got less angry with their parents, but they also perceived them to be less available to their needs," Bettman said.

The most comprehensive studies are the work of Keith Russell, an associate professor of physical education, health and recreation at Western Washington University. Industry, through its Outdoor Behavior Healthcare Research Cooperative, funds his research. But he emphasizes that he controls his data and how his findings are released, and he ensures they undergo peer review before publication.

Russell uses a standard social work questionnaire to gauge student and parent perceptions of the child's problems, from admission to two years after discharge. "At admission, kids are resistant to the idea that they have issues they need to work on," he said. "Parents ... tend to exaggerate issues."

But after treatment and as time passes, their perceptions begin to align, which suggests they are understanding one another better, he said.
    Russell's research has shown teens who had been using drugs or alcohol are generally still using the substances one year after camp, although less frequently. That finding has spurred the industry to better focus its substance abuse treatment, he said.

About two-thirds of the teens in Utah programs have substance abuse issues, camp directors and researchers said. Most kids go on to some kind of aftercare, typically a therapeutic boarding school, a cycle that concerns critics.

Debating diagnosed teens: Although Bettman and Russell caution that wilderness therapy isn't helpful for all troubled teens, Utah camps claim to help children diagnosed with depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders and other illnesses.

Michael Merchant, president of Monticello-based Wilderness Quest, believes wilderness therapy can help campers with mild to moderate mental illness deal with side issues, such as substance abuse or ruined relationships.

He also asserts its outdoor lifestyle can help tame behavior caused by chemical imbalances in a child's brain. "The right diet, exercise, getting up with the sun, will certainly help you chemically," he said.

At 15-year-old Red Cliff, based in Enterprise, clinical director Daniel Sanderson believes kids sometimes use a diagnosis as a crutch. He describes such a teen's mind-set:
    "As soon as I encounter a situation that expects something beyond my abilities, all I have to [do is bring up] the abandonment issues or abuse issues and that will bring forth an cadre of individuals who will remove it," he said. "In spite of a diagnosis, the real problem is the difficulties they have experienced have allowed them to take a 'developmental vacation.' "

At camp, teens learn no one is going to carry their pack just because they are bipolar, Sanderson summarized.
    But Florsheim, formerly at the University of Utah, said there is no reliable research on whether camps help children cope with mental illness, and questions the programs' long-term impact.

"Are you giving them the skills they can take with them when they go home? I'm skeptical of that," said Florsheim, who worked in a Florida camp as a young counselor 26 years ago.

Before arriving at Aspiro, 14-year-old Kayla was diagnosed with depression and attachment disorder. The redhead with a soft Southern-accented voice spent her early childhood in foster homes. She was adopted at age 8, but withdrew from her family and began cutting herself.
    In camp, she found solace in the outdoors and her therapy sessions. She was "really excited" about an upcoming visit from her parents.

"But I'm kind of scared, too," she said, a feather tucked in her hair. "It'll be the first time my parents know I'm being genuine. ... I want to look them in the eyes and say, 'I love you' and for them to know I'm not faking it."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
Re: Controversy spurs gentler approach in Utah wilderness
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 02:52:12 AM »
Wow, very interesting. The only thing that I really would like to say about this, is this:
They claimed that they don't take kids with "severe mental illnesses" anymore there in Utah, but Then they claim that it can really help in kids with Bi-polar disorder. If that is what they really said, and truly mean, then I have a big newsflash for them: Bipolar disorder is a severe mental illness. In fact it is in the psychotic classification of mental Illnesses. Resource: DSM, which is basically a diagnostic tool (manual for lack of a better term) that psychologists and Psychiatrists use to diagnose their patients. The DSM stands for Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of mental disorders. In the case of bipolar disorder(also known as manic depression) is a serious medical illness that causes shifts in a person's mood, energy, and ability to function. Different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through, the symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe. Source: NIMH= National Institute of Mental Health. Bipolar disorder causes dramatic mood swings from overly "high" and/or irritable to sad and hopeless, and then back again, often with periods of normal mood in between. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with these changes in mood. The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression. They can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide.

“Manic-depression distorts moods and thoughts, incites dreadful behaviors, destroys the basis of rational thought, and too often erodes the desire and will to live. It is an illness that is biological in its origins, yet one that feels psychological in the experience of it; an illness that is unique in conferring advantage and pleasure, yet one that brings in its wake almost unendurable suffering and, not infrequently, suicide.”

“I am fortunate that I have not died from my illness, fortunate in having received the best medical care available, and fortunate in having the friends, colleagues, and family that I do.”

ACTUAL MEDICAL CARE IS NEEDED FOR PEOPLE WITH BIPOLAR DISORDER ,PEOPLE!!!! Medical, not boot camp, not wilderness therapy: MEDICAL CARE....REAL MEDICAL CARE

People reading this may ask themselves how I may know this so strongly as I do. I will tell you simply and plainly: I used to be married to it. I spent hours upon hours, days,even weeks at a time researching how to help him, how to save him from the awful disorder. Months trying to figure out how to "care" for him. I ended up having to commit him twice to save his life, which was pure emotional torture for me to have to do it, having no other choice. It was pure emotional torture for me to have to do that to him, and to another human being in general, considering I was in Kids Helping Kids, and know how that feels. I hated it but, he had not slept in five to six days straight, was visiting car dealerships claiming that he owns all of the cars on the lot, telling me that famous people were trying to get in touch with us, that fed-ex trucks were following him everywhere that he went, passing out from sleep deprivation on his sisters driveway to wake back up five minutes later to another manic fit of his only to drive from Northern KY to Dayton, Ohio in a mere matter of like 45 min., when normally that drive takes a good bit over and hour (which means he was travelling at extremely high speeds in the car), and then wanting me to let him drive our children around in the car with him. I said" I think not!"

Bipolar is nothing to sneeze at, and it is also something that cannot be cured by a wilderness program or boot camp.

regards,
-DP
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:54:29 AM »
Quote from: "Deprogrammed"
Bipolar is nothing to sneeze at, and it is also something that cannot be cured by a wilderness program or boot camp.
Good god, are people really stupid enough to believe otherwise?

Is it the flouride in the water making them dumb as a box of rocks?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:00:10 AM »
Wow, DP, sorry to hear that.  Your husband seemed to have had a hard time of it.  Hope he is doing better now.  I have had friend’s siblings and their kids who were diagnosed with BP but their symptoms were not as severe as the ones you experienced.  There are varying degrees of Bipolar and your husband (and those like him) would probably be diagnosed as severe or that end of the spectrum.  Maybe teens with BipolarII or Cyclothymia which is a milder form of bipolar may benefit a bit better from wilderness.  But I agree severe cases should stay away from a program of this type.

It is good to see the wilderness programs changing and softening a bit due to parental feedback and media pressure.  As these programs evolve over time we should continue to see a rise in success rates.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »
Quote from: "TheWho"
teens with BipolarII or Cyclothymia which is a milder form of bipolar may benefit a bit better from wilderness.

Please explain how a wilderness program is supposed to help with bipolar disorder, exactly. Please also explain what qualifies you to make such claims.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »
Be gentle with the guy. He already suffers enough from Tripolar Obsessive Compulsive Trolling Disorder.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 11:16:58 AM »
Quote from: "Giest"
Please explain how a wilderness program is supposed to help with bipolar disorder, exactly. Please also explain what qualifies you to make such claims
Sorry, I could not begin to explain the specifics.  What I normally do is speak with a professional, in the specific area of interest.  Try to choose one who is good at translating the medical into layman’s terms.

If your son or daughter has bipolar I would suggest you speak to their paediatrician before considering placing them in a wilderness program (or doing anything on your own).  There are a wide variety of medications which have been extremely effective in treating BipolarI, BipolarII, Cyclothymia and even reducing Rapid cycling which can be associated with some of the more extreme cases.  There may be other conditions present which would make wilderness therapy a poor choice for your son/daughter.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »
No, it doesn't help explain the reasoning behind your claim. When you make statements such as "teens with BipolarII or Cyclothymia which is a milder form of bipolar may benefit a bit better from wilderness", you had better be ready to back these claims up with some sort of proof, explanation,  a theory, or personal experience. You provide none of these, which suggests you just randomly plucked this "fact" out of thin air.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publicat ... mary.shtml

No mention of wilderness from the NIMH concerneing adolescent bipolar treatment.

So, where exactly did you come up with this statement of yours?

Did you just make it up?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
the great gig in the sky
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »
The poster calling him or herself "TheWho" is really just a screen name created and kept going by the collective moderators and admins of Fornits in an effort to keep the post count up and the discussion going.... Thank you, that is all.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »
Quote from: "Diagnostician"
Be gentle with the guy. He already suffers enough from Tripolar Obsessive Compulsive Trolling Disorder.

Thats what we call: TOCTD.

Aspen is working on a short 10 month program which has been very effective on this.  You need to bring your own laptop, although they reformat the entire hard drive upon entering.  At level one there is no internet access for 4 weeks...you have to carry a mouse or touch pad (your interface of choice) around with you everywhere you go.  There are monitors everywhere you go but there is no way you can interface with them until you successfully complete your level.

At Level 2 you are allowed to gain limited access to one of the programs which has been loaded onto your laptop by Aspen.  You can slowly start using a tutorial program which resides on Aspens new “intranet” AIA (Aspen Intranet Access) which is basically a complete clone of the internet only it has been cleansed of any offensive or unnecessary information.  At this level you are allowed to chat with staff and discuss current events with the expectation that you stay on topic at all times.  Other than this there is no communication to the outside world, (not even email to family members!!).  The staff members then leave the room and they allow you to troll for 3 hours initially and then they shut down the server abruptly and everyone is scurried off into encounter groups to talk about how they are feeling.  They dose each person differently and then send them back to their laptops.  This is repeated for several months.

Level 3 is still in process and has not been successful to date.  Over 80% of the patients moving up from Level 2 had immense hatred towards their staff members and a few staff were attacked and beaten severely with their laptops.  So after over $100,000 was spent on research to resolve this issue they have decided the best solution is to make the laptops out of a more lightweight material which they presently having done, increasing the patient’s dosage and they are considering extending the program to 12 months.

so you can see they are making some headway into this area and are lobbying in Washington to have this recognized as a disorder and considered for the next DSM revision.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:09:38 PM by TheWho »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »
Quote from: "Giest"
No, it doesn't help explain the reasoning behind your claim. When you make statements such as "teens with BipolarII or Cyclothymia which is a milder form of bipolar may benefit a bit better from wilderness", you had better be ready to back these claims up with some sort of proof, explanation,  a theory, or personal experience. You provide none of these, which suggests you just randomly plucked this "fact" out of thin air.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publicat ... mary.shtml

No mention of wilderness from the NIMH concerneing adolescent bipolar treatment.

So, where exactly did you come up with this statement of yours?

Did you just make it up?

Yep.  He sure did.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 12:12:15 PM »
TheWho, you failed to backup your statement in any way. It appears you did not even try, which makes me wonder how you come up with such unsubstantiated advice to give freely to the world. You are free to your opinions, but let's have a look at what the professionals have to say, shall we?

This is from the American Psychiatric Association, a peer reviewed professional journal. Psychiatrists are the people making the diagnosis of bipolar, so we can all agree that they have some idea what they are talking about.

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/42/23/6

This is only an excerpt, read the full article by clicking on the link.

A report released by t he Government Accountability Office (GAO) in October identified thousands of allegations of patient mistreatment at "residential treatment programs" across the country.

The GAO report cited allegations of abuse, some of which involved patient deaths, at what the report refers to as residential treatment programs— such as "boot camps" and "wilderness therapy programs" that treat substance abuse and behavioral problems—between 1990 and 2007. The report did not define residential treatment programs other than describing them as "intended to provide a less-restrictive alternative to incarceration or hospitalization for youth who may require intervention to address emotional or behavioral challenges."

The allegations included reports of abuse and death recorded by state agencies and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) between 1990 and 2004. The allegations in the GAO report were detailed in pending civil and criminal trials involving hundreds of plaintiffs, along with claims of abuse and death posted online.

During 2005 alone, 33 states reported 1,619 staff members involved in incidents of abuse in residential programs, according to the National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System (NCANDS). Critics of the programs estimate 10,000 to 20,000 children are enrolled in them each year.

Petros Levounis, M.D., chair of APA's Council on Children, Adolescents, and Their Families, told Psychiatric News that addiction specialists have long thought that programs like those identified in the GAO report are much less effective in the treatment of addiction than therapeutic approaches based on positive motivation. The confrontational treatment approaches they use were abandoned by mainstream addiction programs 30 years ago after they were found ineffective.

"We tried this type of confrontation route and very strict discipline and found it simply doesn't work," said Levounis, director of the Addiction Institute of New York and chief of the Division of Addiction Psychiatry at St. Luke's and Roosevelt Hospitals. "It is particularly detrimental for people who suffer from other mental illnesses, as well, such as schizophrenia or depression or bipolar disorder."

The report's findings that many programs have dangerous conditions and "tremendous side effects" are additional reasons for keeping children with co-occurring mental disorders away from such treatment approaches, he said.

The report echoes concerns raised by a 2006 study funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration of residential treatment facilities serving adolescent populations, which indicated that they often lacked comprehensive services for the participants, especially when other co-occurring illnesses were involved. For instance, almost all adolescent-focused, residential substance abuse treatment facilities conduct comprehensive substance abuse assessments. However, only half of those facilities also conduct comprehensive mental health assessments, which are recommended as part of an integrated treatment approach.

Children with co-occurring mental illnesses in such residential treatment programs, Levounis said, are at best deprived of safe and effective treatments for their dual diagnosis—in terms of medication or psychotherapy—and at worst, they are at risk for death or severe physical harm.

Levounis suggested a multipronged response to the findings, including regulatory changes to establish minimum quality assurance, that program participants have access to physicians and mental health professionals, and that there be an adequate patient-to-staff ratio.

"Also, all of us need to keep working to debunk the myth of harsh confrontation being the ultimate weapon against severe addiction," he said.

TheWho, do you now wish to retract your statement based on these findings? If not, please provide source material to support your claims, thank you.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »
Lets go back and take a look:

...They claimed that they don't take kids with "severe mental illnesses" anymore there in Utah, but Then they claim that it can really help in kids with Bi-polar disorder

DP's description of what her husband went thru didn’t compare with what some people which I have encountered who had Bi-polar.  If you look a little further into it you will find that bipolar covers an area from severe to mild.  So when the program mentioned that they don’t accept kids with “Severe mental illnesses” this could include bi-polar depending on the child diagnosis.  So kids with BipolarII or Cyclothymia which is a milder form of bipolar may benefit a bit better from wilderness then kids with BipolarI or more severe cases of bipolar.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
Just when I think you can't be more of an asshole, you post again.  Just give it up, Who.  You've been bagged and tagged.  Everyone sees you for exactly who you are.

Now go slink back under the rock you crawled out from.  Better yet, call your daughter and beg her forgiveness, you pathetic excuse for a parent.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 12:52:14 PM »
Quote from: "wnf;iuaj"
Just when I think you can't be more of an asshole, you post again.  Just give it up, Who.  You've been bagged and tagged.  Everyone sees you for exactly who you are.

Now go slink back under the rock you crawled out from.  Better yet, call your daughter and beg her forgiveness, you pathetic excuse for a parent.

sorry to prove you wrong, but the facts are the facts.  I was not rubbing it in.  No need for personal attacks.