Author Topic: one more reason why teen residential programs are dangerous  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
one more reason why teen residential programs are dangerous
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 11:52:41 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
Why not ask to speak to the other half of the parents who pulled their children out, and find out their viewpoints? Thereby giving yourself a more BALANCED view of the program.

I try to keep in touch the best I can to see how others are doing.

There were 4 parents I know of that pulled there kids.  2 of them them their kids got pregnant, single moms, within a year of leaving without even a GED ages 16 and 15 (?).  A boy who was replaced into another program within 6 months of leaving (lost touch), up in Maine somewhere.  The 4th I never heard from again.

Many girls who get out of the program do get pregnant as soon as possible as a way to avoid ever having to go back to the program. They know they have a policy against taking in pregnant girls.  Of course they wouldn't even have a GED, I'm sure they were not allowed an education while in the program. But the question was, why did the parents pull the children?  What kind of abuse had those children and or parents suffered?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 12:09:41 AM »
Many girls who get out of the program do get pregnant as soon as possible as a way to avoid ever having to go back to the program. They know they have a policy against taking in pregnant girls. Of course they wouldn't even have a GED, I'm sure they were not allowed an education while in the program. But the question was, why did the parents pull the children? What kind of abuse had those children and or parents suffered?

This is a boarding school the kids are in so they were getting an education.  As far as why they left, I dont have the specific reasons why.  I do know that it is very hard work for some of the kids and some would rather opt out then to finish the program.  Some of them plead with their parents and they give in and remove them.  As far as abuse, I have never been aware of a staff member abusing a child there, this never occurred during the time my daughter attended.  I am sure if it did occur the families would be notified of the action taken.  

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008, 12:17:25 AM »
Many girls who get out of the program do get pregnant as soon as possible as a way to avoid ever having to go back to the program. They know they have a policy against taking in pregnant girls. Of course they wouldn't even have a GED, I'm sure they were not allowed an education while in the program. But the question was, why did the parents pull the children? What kind of abuse had those children and or parents suffered?

This is a boarding school the kids are in so they were getting an education.  As far as why they left, I dont have the specific reasons why.  I do know that it is very hard work for some of the kids and some would rather opt out then to finish the program.  Some of them plead with their parents and they give in and remove them.  As far as abuse, I have never been aware of a staff member abusing a child there, this never occurred during the time my daughter attended.  I am sure if it did occur the families would be notified of the action taken.  

Um, what kind of curriculum is in place there? These so-called schools are usually, not really like any legitimate educational institutions.  
Why on earth would families be notified of the abuse administered at the school?  
That's like the pedophile teachers in public schools notifying the families of the abuse and taking action.... it just doesn't happen... it has to be caught by a 3rd party or on tape to be found out.

I'm not getting your logic. :-?
Kathy

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 12:31:41 AM »
Quote from: ""Kathy""

Um, what kind of curriculum is in place there? These so-called schools are usually, not really like any legitimate educational institutions.  
Why on earth would families be notified of the abuse administered at the school?  
That's like the pedophile teachers in public schools notifying the families of the abuse and taking action.... it just doesn't happen... it has to be caught by a 3rd party or on tape to be found out.

I'm not getting your logic. :-?

Highschool, grades 9 thru 12.

If abuse occurs in our school district the kid tells the parent.  The parent tells the principle/police and the principle sends letters out to all the parents updating them on what has occurred and action taken.  Most private schools follow the same procedures.  The staff member or teacher themselves who committed the offense isnt going to notify anyone except from jail.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 03:52:11 AM »
one of the Girls in the dave marcus book got pregnant in her first year of university. She did complete the program and was supposed to be one of it's all stars her therapy group were nicknamed the "guru" group. Ironically she was sent because her dad feared she would end up pregnant.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 06:12:36 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
one of the Girls in the dave marcus book got pregnant in her first year of university. She did complete the program and was supposed to be one of it's all stars her therapy group were nicknamed the "guru" group. Ironically she was sent because her dad feared she would end up pregnant.

A lot of girls get pregnant becase they think that is the next thing to do in life.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 06:17:17 AM »
I doubt this girl named her child "Rudy" though.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 06:37:19 AM »
Quote from: ""Che Gookin""
I doubt this girl named her child "Rudy" though.

Ha,Ha,Ha

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »

Highschool, grades 9 thru 12.

If abuse occurs in our school district the kid tells the parent. The parent tells the principle/police and the principle sends letters out to all the parents updating them on what has occurred and action taken. Most private schools follow the same procedures. The staff member or teacher themselves who committed the offense isnt going to notify anyone except from jail.

I figured they would call themselves grades 9-12... I was asking more specifically about the actual curriculum....

As far as in your public school district.... you said the kid tells the parent.  See, this is my point.  In day-only schools, the kids are free to come home and tell a parent.  In residential treatment, they are NOT free to go home and they are in every case I've ever heard of NOT free to tell their parents anything they want to, due to repercussions, that will follow the so-called "telling."  Not to mention, the staff have already told the parents in advanced not to believe anything the kid says because it is "manipulation" on the part of the kid to try to get out of the program.  So the child is stuck any way you look at it, there are NO checks and balances in place at all at these crazy programs. :(
Kathy

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
My guess is they give "the who" the weekends off????
Kathy

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »
I figured they would call themselves grades 9-12... I was asking more specifically about the actual curriculum....
Math, History, English etc.. my recollection would do them justice since it has been awhile and they have expanded their academics since then.

As far as in your public school district.... you said the kid tells the parent. See, this is my point. In day-only schools, the kids are free to come home and tell a parent. In residential treatment, they are NOT free to go home and they are in every case I've ever heard of NOT free to tell their parents anything they want to, due to repercussions, that will follow the so-called "telling." Not to mention, the staff have already told the parents in advanced not to believe anything the kid says because it is "manipulation" on the part of the kid to try to get out of the program. So the child is stuck any way you look at it, there are NO checks and balances in place at all at these crazy programs.

Yes, different levels depending on how your child is schooled.  Homeschoolers have immediate feedback, public school kids can talk to their parents each evening when they get home from school.  Boarding school kids have a slower line of communication.  My daughter had some immediate issues and needed to talk to me and it took them 5-6 hours before they could contact me and then get her to the phone so we could talk.  If this had been a public school the communication would had been quicker but a parent needs to expect this in schools which are designed to keep them insulated from the outside world.

I have read about those schools which try to tell the parents not to believe the kids or threaten them on what they can or cannot say.  That is an awful way to foster communication between family members and facilitate healing.  If a school called me and told me not to believe what my kid told me over the phone she would be yanked out of the school in a heartbeat.

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »
so you are saying Academy at Swift River gives the kids complete freedom to say anything to you without repercussions??? very very very hard to believe... of course, you being a parent wouldn't know because you are there in the program.... My parents never knew about the threats either... until recently (which is over 20 years after the experience)
Kathy

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
so you are saying Academy at Swift River gives the kids complete freedom to say anything to you without repercussions??? very very very hard to believe... of course, you being a parent wouldn't know because you are there in the program.... My parents never knew about the threats either... until recently (which is over 20 years after the experience)

I have heard a lot about straight (which I believe you attended) and I can see after attending a place like that it may be difficult to understand that other programs give kids a lot more freedoms.  If you threaten kids about speaking out you are doing just the opposite of what they need to do to heal.  Speaking openly is healthy and fosters growth and understanding of ones self, builds self esteem...if I was threatened with reprisals every time I opened my mouth I may suppress things for 20 years also.
At ASR the kids can go white water rafting, play sports, go to movies in town, they have a nice in ground pool off the main dining area, cross country skiing in the winter time.  They are insulated from the outside world for the most part but there are plenty of phones for emergencies.

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2008, 05:08:59 PM »
The reason we speak of STRAIGHT still is because it is the same core program.  Sure, eventually we were allowed to do some things in the real world too after we had been deemed "trustworthy" which in reality means we were trusted not to say anything.  I'm speaking of the new clients in the program, the ones that haven't been deemed trustworthy. And from everything I have read from the ASPEN literature, there is NOT free access to phones for any reason.  There is always a staff listening in or standing near by, monitoring calls. If this is different at ASR, I'd love to see the proof....
Kathy

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2008, 05:22:24 PM »
The reason we speak of STRAIGHT still is because it is the same core program.  Sure, eventually we were allowed to do some things in the real world too after we had been deemed "trustworthy" which in reality means we were trusted not to say anything.  I'm speaking of the new clients in the program, the ones that haven't been deemed trustworthy. And from everything I have read from the ASPEN literature, there is NOT free access to phones for any reason.  There is always a staff listening in or standing near by, monitoring calls. If this is different at ASR, I'd love to see the proof....

No, the kids cant just use the phone whenever they like.  They each have an allotted time each week to call home, unlss there is an emergency or a problem.
The room where phone calls are made (when I was there) is a fairly big room.  There was a table like they have in the library with partitions with a phone in each cubby area.  The kids pick a cubby and can use the phone to call home.   There is a staff person in the room but there isn’t an easy way for them to listen to conversations with the partitions and 4-6 people talking at once.  There are a couple of desks at the other end for staff to do work at….The staff is there in case a problem occurs.

I called from there because I could not get reception on my cell phone so I used the phones the kids use.