Author Topic: level of education attained by program parents and...  (Read 9303 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
level of education attained by program parents and...
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:48:38 AM »
My question is to program parents (including program parents who are now against their program, and who had their offspring institutionalized without their go ahead)

What level of education have you attained?

What was your major?

What do you do for a living?

I am curious if there is any commonality.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:52:23 AM »
from what i saw at HLA, most parents were liberal arts college grads, suburban middle-class, many with their own small bussinesses. There were also quite a few upper-class families, i wont mention specifics, but many parents were c.e.o's or were on the boards of big hotel chains, food companies, designer labels, banks, international shipping and real estate companies.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Re: level of education attained by program parents and...
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 12:47:54 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

Yes, they all hate their kids sufficiently to give up completely and throw them to wolves at places like HLA.  That's the common denominator.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 12:52:26 PM »
from what i saw at HLA, most parents were liberal arts college grads, suburban middle-class, many with their own small bussinesses. There were also quite a few upper-class families, i wont mention specifics, but many parents were c.e.o's or were on the boards of big hotel chains, food companies, designer labels, banks, international shipping and real estate companies.

Now that you picked up on this, it will not amaze you that these are the parents that the program's salesmen target. This way they can use the line...."What kind of price tag can you put on your child's life."[/color]

This just goes to show that it's not about helping the kids, it's about the programs getting their money grubbing hands as deep in the parents pockets as they can.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 01:19:38 PM »
Quote from: ""Botched Programming""

Now that you picked up on this, it will not amaze you that these are the parents that the program's salesmen target. This way they can use the line...."What kind of price tag can you put on your child's life."[/color]

I've always thought that the high price tags of program are a "guilt" self-punishing mechanism for the parents. They feel "guilty" that they are abandoning and destroying their kids (they're aware of this at a certain level) so they use the high money expenditure to punish themselves for their transgression, thusly absolving themselves of the guilt.

Also, if they are spending a great deal of money on a program they can tell themselves they are sacrificing for their kids. This helps them hide the reality of their abuse from themselves

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 01:25:13 PM »
Any of you parents artists, or blue collar workers? Own a bar or anything?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 01:29:45 PM »
I've always thought that the high price tags of program are a "guilt" self-punishing mechanism for the parents. They feel "guilty" that they are abandoning and destroying their kids (they're aware of this at a certain level) so they use the high money expenditure to punish themselves for their transgression, thusly absolving themselves of the guilt.

Also, if they are spending a great deal of money on a program they can tell themselves they are sacrificing for their kids. This helps them hide the reality of their abuse from themselves

+666 insightful. This explains quite a bit of it.

Combine the above with "It's expensive, so it must be good", "your kid will DIE if he doesn't get HELP NOW, so you have to PAY OR ELSE", and the "Oh, we sent him to a posh school for kids like him, very expensive" factors, and you get a pretty cohesive picture.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 01:39:26 PM »
Quote from: ""Botched Programming""

Nah, I can tell you from experience that the high price tag just comes with the territory.  Most parents don’t harbor any excessive guilt for their child entering a program, no more than say if their child were having kidney problems and knowing it was inherited from them.  Most of the parents have other children who are doing well so the cause isn’t necessarily something they did or the way the child was raised.

Parents don’t get a great sense of relief when they spend all that money for college either, many times it is a great sacrifice.  There wouldn’t be any guilt of transgressions because the better the child does academically the more expensive the school typically is that he gets accepted to.  So it seems to work against the original logic.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 01:59:07 PM »
Which pulse do you have your finger on? The parents posting at ST range from sadists who get off on their kids getting "hwat they deserve" to extreme guilt and remorse. Some to the point of taking medication to deal with the extreme anxiety they experience due to internal conficit caused by acting against everything they know and feel is right.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 02:12:28 PM »
My question is to program parents (including program parents who are now against their program, and who had their offspring institutionalized without their go ahead)

What level of education have you attained?

What was your major?

What do you do for a living?

Dad-Dentist  (doesn't every dental office subscribe to Sunset Magazine)
Step-Mom-Elementary School Principal (Probably knew an Ed Con)
Mother-Bar Owner (selfish, didn't care where I ended up)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 02:13:04 PM »
Which pulse do you have your finger on? The parents posting at ST range from sadists who get off on their kids getting "hwat they deserve" to extreme guilt and remorse. Some to the point of taking medication to deal with the extreme anxiety they experience due to internal conficit caused by acting against everything they know and feel is right.

Yeah, it is very difficult when your child goes away for the first time or for an extended period of time, but after the parents start seeing the results (after the first visit or two), most of these initial emotions go away.
The worry and guilt just go hand in hand with parenting.  Mothers worry when their child goes away on their first ski trip or if you remember or partook in your junior or senior year study overseas exchange program, your parents worried a lot then too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 02:32:58 PM »

Yes,why?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 04:21:55 PM »
Yes,why?

Are you describing yourself? Are you an artist?

I am curious about the sort of lifestyle and environment program parents habituate. I wonder if there is a continuity  of profession an what implications that has on the program parents psychological make-up.

I'm not explaining this well cause i was up all night. But that's basically it

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 06:55:37 PM »
It's easier to say who won't.

I always thought that anyone involved in education would be right out for obvious reasons, but apparently there are teachers dumb and sadistic enough.

I imagine that people entrenched in bureaucracy are unlikely to send their kids because they know its limitations; any organization able to dodge regulations is instantly suspect. This includes pretty much everyone in federal law enforcement (although local smacktard yokels are more likely to do it). Of course anyone in government these days has at least heard of the GAO chainraping going on.

Anyone with any experience dealing with cults will just LOL.

Anyone whose job it is to separate wheat from chaff in, say, purchasing or contracts (and who's competent), will instantly see everything wrong with the program's contracts and laugh in incredulity.

Basically, anyone whose position necessitates the ability to see through bullshit- this does not include most CEOs- will take one look at this shit and smack themselves for almost doing something incredibly stupid.

Similarly, anyone with truly complex jobs- advanced scientists, computer programmers, mechanical engineers- will (hopefully) work over the place logically and come to inevitable, horrifying conclusions, unless they've been dipped in hard-authoritarian bullshit from an early age.

As for who will...

Paradoxically, people whose job it is to conflate truth and fiction- used car salesmen, etc- will be more likely to buy into it, unless they are keen enough not to believe their own crap.

Celebrities are highly likely to send their kids just to keep them out of the public eye; since this condition also causes emotional problems in themselves and their kids, they are prime bait for hucksters purporting a cure.

Extremely religious types are likely to get involved. This is where shitholes like Love in Action make their money.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 08:36:56 PM »

Yes, they all hate their kids sufficiently to give up completely and throw them to wolves at places like HLA.  That's the common denominator.

Thank you, good answer!  :evil: