Author Topic: Youth Care Behavior Modification  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Youth Care Behavior Modification
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 05:04:30 PM »
So basically, parents are required to visit the program every 6 to 8 weeks.  That's got to be good for business in the local community of Draper, eh?  Or does Youth Care provide free housing, meals and transportation to and from the airport for the folks?

:roll:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 05:16:54 PM »
Children have the RIGHT to see their parents.

http://www.canadiancrc.com/UN_CRC_webpa ... _Child.htm

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Parent Days are held every six to eight weeks at Youth Care. Parents are encouraged to attend these programs. The program starts on Thursday mornings with a variety of activities:  conferences, on-site family therapy, parent support groups, and multi-family groups.  Parents will have time to visit with the members of the multi-disciplinary team that is treating their child.  If the student is on the appropriate level, there will also be time for therapeutic leaves of absence (passes).

Yep, that's right.  Therapeutic leaves of absence.  

What is this mumbo-jumbo really saying?

Visits with parents are therapeutic?

Jesus Christ, why can't these programs let children see their parents and leave the therapy to the "therapists"?

Well it is technically therapeutic for the kids to see their parents especially when they havent seen them for awhile.  Therapeutic can be a relative term also, like a walk in the woods or a day on the beach is therapeutic for some people.

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 06:23:39 PM »
Therapy = SIBS.

Straight Inc. By the Sea: The wave of the future in drug treatment.â„¢

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 06:30:59 PM »
I think one thing you need to keep in mind as far as visitation goes is the fact if the child is doing poorly, and is on a low level they are more apt to run when taken off campus by their parents. If that child is on a higher level they would think twice before doing something like that because they wouldn't want a loss of privileges.

I think that's pretty easy to understand, isn't it?
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 06:39:14 PM »
Yes, CCM - it does appear programs are afraid of kids running away which would explain the need for coercion.

Sheesh.  For someone who was in several programs you sure don't have much insight.  Everything is black or white.  Have you thought about getting real therapy?  Exploring the possibility that there may be a reason why you seem to be missing an empathy chip?

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Quote from: ""CCM girl 1989""
I think one thing you need to keep in mind as far as visitation goes is the fact if the child is doing poorly, and is on a low level they are more apt to run when taken off campus by their parents. If that child is on a higher level they would think twice before doing something like that because they wouldn't want a loss of privileges.

Can we say behavioral modification.... It brainwashes the kids into thinking that they have to fit a certain role. They are not allowed to be themselves. If they think independently, they are going against the mind control.

Kids should be allowed to visit with their families at anytime. They claim it's a family disease, so why not allow the family to be together so they can all heal????

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 07:10:03 PM »
Parent Days are held every six to eight weeks at Youth Care. Parents are encouraged to attend these programs. The program starts on Thursday mornings with a variety of activities:  conferences, on-site family therapy, parent support groups, and multi-family groups.  Parents will have time to visit with the members of the multi-disciplinary team that is treating their child.  If the student is on the appropriate level, there will also be time for therapeutic leaves of absence (passes).

Yep, that's right.  Therapeutic leaves of absence.  

What is this mumbo-jumbo really saying?

Visits with parents are therapeutic?

Jesus Christ, why can't these programs let children see their parents and leave the therapy to the "therapists"?

They do let the kids see their parents, off campus and unmonitored. I believe they are called therapeutic leaves of absences because the kids and parents are supposed to work on communication issues they've been talking about in family therapy, and the kids are supposed to practice some specific DBT skills they've been working on. The kids get to pick which skill to work on, and they work out a "agreement" for their pass. Activities that promote family togetherness are encouraged, again the kids get to pick the activities but are prompted to choose activities where they can relate as a family unit. There are rules, but they are bendable at the discretion of family and therapist, and the kids get a fair amount of input, at least that is how it worked for us. sometimes as part of the Parent/Family weekend, everyone does a Ropes Course.  The kids were free to participate or not, or just walk away.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »
All this marketing and promotional stuff needs to be kept in perspective given this is the same program where a child died in their care and if IIRC, the child's parents didn't even know he was sick.

Offline Pitbull Mom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 07:31:53 PM »
All this marketing and promotional stuff needs to be kept in perspective given this is the same program where a child died in their care and if IIRC, the child's parents didn't even know he was sick.

he didn't just "die in their care". They callously ignored his need for medical attention, and were charged with "felony neglect and abuse."
Pitbull Mom

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 07:35:36 PM »
Quote from: ""Pitbull Mom""

he didn't just "die in their care". They callously ignored his need for medical attention, and were charged with "felony neglect and abuse."

When I was admitted into the hellhole I was sent to (Straight Inc.) I had pneumonia and did not receive any real needed medical attention for at least 2 weeks. Then they had some quack doctor come in and prescribe some type of meds. I damn sure did not get the bed rest or anything I really needed. I had to sleep on the floor and go to bed with a wet head which only prolonged my suffering.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 07:43:18 PM »
sometimes as part of the Parent/Family weekend, everyone does a Ropes Course

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »
Quote from: ""Botched Programming""

Can we say behavioral modification.... It brainwashes the kids into thinking that they have to fit a certain role. They are not allowed to be themselves. If they think independently, they are going against the mind control.

Kids should be allowed to visit with their families at anytime. They claim it's a family disease, so why not allow the family to be together so they can all heal????

Behavior Mod and Brainwashing are two different things.  Behavior Modification exists in all our daily lives and is essential to all of us functioning and growing in a society.  When you peed in the toilet for the first time and your mom praised you…that’s behavior mod.  When you broke that window when you were 8 years old and got grounded…. That’s behavior mod.  Brainwashing wears off over time and utilizes a different process.  Very few kids go back to diapers after they leave home.

I am not aware of any TBS that doesn’t allow the kids to visit with their families.  It would be interesting to learn about which ones prevent this.

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
Quote from: ""Botched Programming""

Behavior Mod and Brainwashing are two different things.  Behavior Modification exists in all our daily lives and is essential to all of us functioning and growing in a society.  When you peed in the toilet for the first time and your mom praised you…that’s behavior mod.  When you broke that window when you were 8 years old and got grounded…. That’s behavior mod.  Brainwashing wears off over time and utilizes a different process.  Very few kids go back to diapers after they leave home.

I am not aware of any TBS that doesn’t allow the kids to visit with their families.  It would be interesting to learn about which ones prevent this.

You actually say things that make sense, how refreshing!

f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Dr.Zaius

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 08:43:52 PM »