Author Topic: Changes at Pathway?  (Read 15866 times)

Offline SurvivorEMSR

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« on: June 08, 2003, 03:04:00 PM »
Hey, what's up everyone? Sorry I haven't written in a little bit (exams are a bitch.) Anyway, I've been hearing that there are actually some changes going on at Pathway. I heard that clients are allowed to go outside every day, there is no more "arming," and they can now wear shoes. Is this really true? If so, do you think it could be a result of us writing and compaining to Pathway? Are there any more changes other than the ones I listed? It's strange; although I have never recived a response from any of my letters, my parents received a call from Mrs. Row the other day. From what they told me, she was apologizing in a round about way for the length of time I spent in treatment. Could Pathway actually be listening to our complaints? Tell me what you think. EMSR  

[ This Message was edited by: SurvivorEMSR on 2003-06-08 12:05 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 03:35:00 PM »
wow

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 08:58:00 AM »
They stopped the boxer checks. Now they should give them full privacy in the bathroom.  You would think that would have been one of the first things they did. Their accreditation is going on right now.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 12:31:00 PM »
I tend to view these sort of changes as extremely superficial and the reality of their implementation is probably ambiguous at best.  

In Dallas-Straight we went through all sorts of "changes" depending on who was investigating what and when.  I was interviewed several times by investigators regarding what went on in the building.  Soon after, there were lots of "changes".  For example...."cop-outs" were now called "elopers".  "Misbehavers" were now called "non-compliants"....etc. Just because the names changed made no difference in any way shape or form. But it was suposedly mandated by the investigators.  I dont know how they thought that was going to make a difference.

We were also instructed that at no time was any other client allowed to restrain another client, only staff was supposed to.  Well, that lasted for all of a few weeks.  When it got to the point where so many kids were running for the door that other NEWCOMERS actually had to restrain them....that whole concept was trashed.  

Just because those kids might get to piss by themselves now, doesnt mean that they arent still being subjected to 24 hour mental abuse and verbal degredation.  I would gladly have given up my right to wipe my ass in private for the chance to not be screamed at for 12 hours a day, or be in constant fear of it.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 09:11:00 PM »
At least it seems like Mrs. Row took time to call your parents, did she want to talk to you?

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 11:49:00 PM »
Well, it appears that EMSR is not in the "loop" of this Mrs Row's chain of command. That lady called and spoke to his parents, not him. She nor anyone else there has answered EMSR's emails, letters, etc! Look at the bright side, what difference does it make if she called anyone at all? Fact of the matter is that Pathway does not belong anywhere. Her calling people aint going to help much, in my opinion. "Things" will not change until Pathway is permanently closed :exclaim:   :smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 09:08:00 AM »
It looks like summer is here, and everybody has forgotten. :cry:

Offline butternationalist

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2003, 01:19:00 PM »
As a matter of fact i have not forgotten the mind fuckers. yu know im just to the point where i get so mad when i talk about this sit it just makes life worse. and got knows that after pathway life getting any worse is nearly impossible. i still hate you guys. :evil:

by the way anyone who wants to protest these commies can go to comerica park on july 26,2000 Detroit, MI.
you know pathway is desperate when they send donation request letters to parents of a pull. they wont even talk to you after you leave but theyd still love tho have your money, oops.... i mean "support" fuck you guys---smith

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 11:44:00 AM »
Perhaps you are right and the program sucks according to you but nowhere in any of these postings have I seen anyone talk about a program that they think works better than Pathway. hmmmmm??? They just complain that they were made to do things that forced them to look at their own behavior for the first time in their life... boy how degrading is that? Like most in todays society, most postings in here want to blame others for their own short-comings. Well I for one believe YOU are responsible for your own behavior in life. Unfortunately, state law says that because a child is under the age of 18, the parents are still responsible for their actions. Other than emancipating them.... which by the way you can petition the courts to do for yourselves if you can convince reasonable men that you can function reasonably and that your parents are not looking out for your best interests in life.... go for it!!!!!.... relive me of the financial responsibility of keeping your ass safe while you are given an opportunity to learn a better way of surviving in life.  
    Frankly, this program is not for everyone. Those who chose it instead of a prison sentence for their stupidity and drug or alcohol addiction should have just opted for prision and found out what mind control and physical abuse is all about. ( Don't forget to pack you tub of Vaseline too ) Why parents put in so much effort to prevent their children from death or a major screw-up of their lives when their children (at least the ones who write articles in here) is beyond my comprehension. I say let social Darwinism weed out those who truely wish to continue to use drugs in amounts that are incompatable with life.
    I came into this program willingly and have learned a lot about parenting and independently of my child ever figuring out a balance in life, I have found mine,so has my child by the way. I am sorry that you have not found yours. Perhaps you will some day. Some it takes the first 30 -40 or so years of life. When you do, look back and ask yourself ... Did it really have to take this long? What happened to my youth? What treasures in life had I not discovered because I was consumed by my self-centeredness, my own will to do what I wanted at any cost to those around me, and to myself? I hope life works out for you but at this point, I guess I really do not care... sink or swim .... it's your problem now. Hope you learned enough tools in life to survive. Hope you learned enough to have more out of life than to just exist. I guess it is up to you right???? In any event take responsibility for your own screw-ups. Pathway found you as a messed-up child and you want to blame them for continuing to be messed-up???hmmmmm Isn't anyone responsible for their own shit anymore??? Don't expect a program to totally undo your entire past. Don't expect them to erase heredity issues. But for God's sake...you give the program much too much credit for screwing up you life...they only had you for 1 to 2 years. Too bad they didn't raise you from birth... then you could blame them for all your problems. (but you want others to believe that is the case right????)
     Ahhhh but you will say ... the program brainwashes the kids and the parents. In fact what you are saying is that you have a weak mind incapable of independent reasoning. Well apparently those who meet the clients at NA or AA meetings are extreemly impressed with most of the kids that come to their meetings. The only comments I hear when I have face to face meetings is how they wished they had such a program when they were that age and saved them all the heartache they have had in their lives. hmmmmm they must have been brainwashed by association too!!!!!

Are there faults with the program? Yes of course there are. As Winston Churchill (former WWW II prime minister of Great Britain for those who don't know) once said "Democracy is the worst form of government in the world ... except for all the rest" For me and my family, Pathway is the worst form of substance abuse treatment in the world except for all the rest!!!!

I write this to give balance to the crap I have seen written in here so that other parents who may choose to TRY to help their FAMILY have an informed and opposite point of view. I do not write this to disuade you of your issues. That would be impossible for me to do or have desire for me to do. As is the rest of YOUR life, it's for YOU to deal with.... so DEAL WITH IT AND QUIT WHINING ABOUT HOW BAD THINGS ARE FOR YOU AND DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF TO MAKE IT BETTER!!! Let those who choose this route make up their own mind if you truely believe they have one.

Kudos to Ms. Rowe for the changes she has instituted. My hat is off to all the families and staff involved in Pathway who help make it a positive place to learn about how to handle life. She is a compassionate and devoted to her lifework as are all the staff members. Hold your heads up high. I for one thank you  :wave: for all you have done for me and my family.... Enough said... I feel better that's all that matters.
 :wave:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 01:14:00 PM »
as we have said before,when a child/adult believes they are worthless then having it ground into you,actually makes you feel better because you were right. Behavior doesn't come out of the blue there are reasons for any behavior!!!! These children hurt and again, humiliation, guilt, shame, punishment will not make them feel better about themselves in the long run.  Pathway makes the child believe that they are no good unless they are a pathway robot.  They will not fit in at school because they still do not have a deep inner love of themselves.  Pathway does not help you handle life, it gives you an unreality in an unreal world. Ms. Rowe by the way looks very anorexic. But there are changes and I hope they keep it up, hopefully all these treatment places are changing.

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 04:32:00 PM »
In my opinion, and hopefully in the opinions of drug treatment program regulators, the general public, victims of abuse, etc... Pathway is going to be simply nothing more than a historical reference to the epitomies of child abuse started long ago by Mel Sembler and his wife Betty when they opened STRAIGHT, INC. No matter how you euphemize Pathway, it will always be that spinoff from STRAIGHT, INC. If the people at Pathway were SO concerned with helping kids, then why do they charge money, and lots of it? Where does that money go? Money doesn't buy drug free kids. This is all going to come down to a point (among others) where the public will realize just how much programs like Pathway, Kids Helping Kids, and others, appear to be concerned more about how much they are getting paid than when kids get off drugs. They will also realize how much wool has been put over their eyes. Granted, some people just don't care. That's too bad. However, there are those of us who do care, and until these programs are closed, I for one will keep working to close them.

MG8 :smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 05:52:00 PM »
"If the people at Pathway were SO concerned with helping kids, then why do they charge money, and lots of it? "

Hmmmmmm as Rodney Dangerfield said in the movie "Back to School"  ....the Professor says  "Where should build our factory?" Rodney's reply... "How about Fantasy Land?" Your FREE help will be found there as well. Even if it was government funded... YOU are still paying for it in taxes or donations. Ask your mom or dad if they go to work for free? Do you? You sound like it is a sin to earn a living at what they do. Apparently their years spent in college should should go unrewarded. Next time you look at a bill for an inpatient stay for drug dependency hospital, ask again how reasonable the costs at Pathway are. But again, maybe the original reason for the drug use was to stay in Fantasy Land, it stands to reason why someone try to apply rules from what they knew to other situations.

B.T.W... was the cost of the crack free? If so ... for how long? What did you have to do to pay those costs? I am sure although very difficult for most to afford, it is still,in relation to other treatment programs affordable. Why? because of the personal involvement of all the families in housing.
    But you can fix this all by yourself. Go through a masters program in college or a doctorate program for social work and psychology and offer your services for free. YOU have the power to right these wrongs all by yourself instead of moaning why others don't do it your way. Hmmmmm again, I don't think this will get an intelligent response back but at least writing it makes it public for others to read :wink:

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 09:32:00 PM »
:smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »
Free help is available thru A.A. and N.A. but if kids in need would have to 1. believe they had a problem and were powerless over it on their own. 2. came to believe a power greater than themselves could make it better. 3. make a decision to turn their will and lives over to the care of God. 4 Stop using long enough to think with their own mind instead of let the drugs rule their decision making. With that, attend A.A. or N.A. meetings and Pathway would never have been necessary in the first place right? Apparently the kids needed more intervention than that. So there is a system in place to give you help for free. Did you use it? Faithfully? How many kids did this, truely believed what they were being told and followed their rules ...um brainwashing? So I guess the parents were forced to go more involved treatment. More involved treatment means more costs too. But you know all this. Yes the Fantasy Land statement is meant to have a vindictive tone. Why? Just to point out  that vindictiveness of many of the postings towards us parents who choose Pathway are just as cruel and there are people on each side who have feelings. Nice to know you have feelings too.Hmmmmm Thank you :smile:

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Changes at Pathway?
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2003, 12:28:00 PM »
You know, anonymous whoever you are, Pathway reaches out to the public, essentially creating a "your child needs our help" atmosphere. I can understand your statement about parents being "forced to go more involved treatment."
 Pathway appears to be a money making machine to me... ie: charging a huge sum for treatment and making the parents pay for incidentals and urging them to be sponsoring and/or participating in fundraising events.
Will you be answering the other questions I had posted concerning first phasers?
 One other thing... Why do you make "points" by being sarcastic, crude, slanderous, and generally mean?
I suppose nobody is perfect :smokin: