Yeay
9 (81.8%)
Nay
0 (0%)
Dunno
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closes: June 27, 2045, 11:24:24 AM

Author Topic: Peninsula Village forum?  (Read 7166 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Peninsula Village forum?
« on: September 22, 2007, 04:12:12 PM »
I've been reading up on PV over the past couple of days. There's some really good content and it seems to have it's own 'legs'. Does it need it's own forum? What sort of description should it have?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 05:41:50 PM »
Just so long as people start learning to go to the sub-forums instead of exclusively reading TTI...

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 07:40:20 PM »
I dunno if you think it can help, they certainly have built a little hell out there in Tennessee. I really want them shutdown and I guess having a permanent presence on fornits would help attract more people. Yeah go for it.....
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 08:46:29 PM »
We discussed this once before, and I think it's a good idea but I still have the same concerns.  Psy and I were discussing setting up a blog for PV last week, and I mentioned the similarities between Benchmark and PV regarding the number of kids who go through the program.  With a full load, PV might have fifty kids.  The program is prohibitively expensive - a full run is up to $200,000, and you won't get by for less than $75,000.  Add to that the recent report PV is requiring a $17,000 deposit before they'll even discuss insurance, due to the number of parents pulling kids out very early.

I worry that a sub forum will get lost in the shuffle due to the limited number of kids involved.  Unlike WWASP or Straight survivors, there's a much smaller group involved.  So, you figure the number of kids who just want to put it behind them, or are embarrassed and won't speak, and the vocal survivors.  On average, we're seeing the same percentages as the Big Evils, but it's still a smaller group all around.  

As Psy noted, less kids going through the program certainly doesn't make PV less of a hellhole - quite the contrary, I've had survivors and former counselors from other facilities tell me PV is the most abusive program they've heard of.

I voted a big "hells yeah", though.  We may be working with a smaller group, but they're extremely focused in their desire to shut this place down.  The PV video is great - I know the "director", and she will not stand for anything less than the eradication of PV and the whole twisted, immoral industry.  We'll keep posting news on what's going on, and we've got some serious irons in the fire.  The license issues are key, and might lead to some serious shite....

For a description, we could use something like a forum for survivors (and parents) to discuss their experiences at PV and discuss activism and efforts toward shutting the place down.  My wife and I know all the current PV posters except Milkblood, maybe we can plan a group IM session with the PV crew, Ginger, Webdiva, Hanzomon and Psy to map it out.

Thanks, Ginger, for taking an interest in this abominable place.  I was seriously ready to give up, I guess you know that.  When it ate at me until I couldn't sleep, I knew I couldn't walk away.  My family needs to see it through.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 07:44:34 PM »
I wish you guys the best of luck.  Some of these little ones end up sliding under the radar.  Good to see people shedding some light on it.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 09:40:59 PM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""
For a description, we could use something like a forum for survivors (and parents) to discuss their experiences at PV and discuss activism and efforts toward shutting the place down.  My wife and I know all the current PV posters except Milkblood, maybe we can plan a group IM session with the PV crew, Ginger, Webdiva, Hanzomon and Psy to map it out.

Thanks, Ginger, for taking an interest in this abominable place.  I was seriously ready to give up, I guess you know that.  When it ate at me until I couldn't sleep, I knew I couldn't walk away.  My family needs to see it through.

Course, Zen, As I've been mulling this wicked issue over for the past decade or so I've come to two major conclusions. 1. The troubled parent industry is not an isolated problem in our society. It's a natural outcropping of pervasive societal ill. It will not be fully resolved in our lifetime. 2. Following on that you have to pace yourself. There will always be something astir.

I'd be happy to group IM anytime soon. Just not too sure how much time I'll have online in the next week or so cause I'm moving.

But, mean time, I need some detail for a description. PV is a CEDU clone, what's the hard link? Something like this:

"     Hyde Schools
Hyde boarding schools in Bath, Maine and Woodstock, Connecticut; Hyde Leadership Public Charter School in Washington, D.C. Joseph Gauld founded the original Hyde School in 1966 in Bath, Maine. Founded in 1989, Hyde Leadership is a non-profit, tax-exempt institution governed by an independent Board of Trustees.
Moderator Nobody"

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 10:26:28 PM »
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""

Course, Zen, As I've been mulling this wicked issue over for the past decade or so I've come to two major conclusions. 1. The troubled parent industry is not an isolated problem in our society. It's a natural outcropping of pervasive societal ill. It will not be fully resolved in our lifetime. 2. Following on that you have to pace yourself. There will always be something astir.

I'd be happy to group IM anytime soon. Just not too sure how much time I'll have online in the next week or so cause I'm moving.

But, mean time, I need some detail for a description. PV is a CEDU clone, what's the hard link? Something like this:

"     Hyde Schools
Hyde boarding schools in Bath, Maine and Woodstock, Connecticut; Hyde Leadership Public Charter School in Washington, D.C. Joseph Gauld founded the original Hyde School in 1966 in Bath, Maine. Founded in 1989, Hyde Leadership is a non-profit, tax-exempt institution governed by an independent Board of Trustees.
Moderator Nobody"

Well. Just one note...  I don't think PV is a CEDU clone (though I might be wrong).  I think I'm going to enjoy this new forum, though...  I say go for it and create the forum.  PV is shitty enough by far to deserve it's own forum.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 08:09:28 AM »
The real ones to ask are the kids who got fucked over by PV. Are they going to be posting in it consistently or will it become another ghost town like Benchmark or Teen Challenge forums?

I'd be hesitant to suggest a forum if it will crush their interest. So far they only seem to have or had a few active threads and one of them was instigated by an outsider down in the facilites forum.

Are these kids going to want to post or is it going to be a dead forum?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 09:21:07 AM »
Guess we could try it for a week and see what happens..?

Just make the goddam forum already and quit debating it! ::blah::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »
If hot latina teens deserves a forum, then I think an abusive program deserves one too, it's only fair. And we all know how fair life is.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 02:06:19 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""

"     Hyde Schools
Moderator Nobody"

Well. Just one note...  I don't think PV is a CEDU clone (though I might be wrong).  I think I'm going to enjoy this new forum, though...  I say go for it and create the forum.  PV is shitty enough by far to deserve it's own forum.

I'm not sure if CEDU was the model, either.  Initially it may have been, but PV has metamorphed several times in twenty years.  PV got a bit of heat applied for their overuse of the goon hand on the kids early in the decade, and claimed to "clean up".  It looks like the current PV is styled after it's nearby NATSAP kin, HLA, right down to the gross misrepresentations I clarified on the PV licensing thread.  I think what I found in the PV handbook is the smoking gun on that particular license issue, we've got a couple others to nail down.

Now there seems to be a new "direction" at PV - very Christian oriented.  Check out their latest batch of new hires on the PV website.  Praise Gawd and pass the Thorazine...
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline SettleForNothingLess

• View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:46:19 PM »
I am very happy to see PV have its own forum... I think that the one in TTI is totally ruined now because of the complete losss of focus... Thank you for adding this!!! I will post soon... Ive got a bad sinus infection right now...but you know ill be back quicker than you can say "Nurse Ratchett, get 5mg of Thorazine ready"
Yours Truly,
Ms. Vigilante
Im standing on the frontline, there waiting for you PV bitches. Lets rock n roll.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 06:11:05 AM »
having a forum, moderated or otherwise, will do little to ensure focus on the threads. I'm torn on the idea, but in the end it has more to do with the people who endured the shithole, and very little to do with my own personal opinion. Hopefully the new forum, should it come about, will thrive into a vigorous community.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Peninsula Village forum?
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 01:46:12 PM »
How about this as a compromise:  sub-forums.

This way PV-related threads can be grouped together, but still dwell within a larger forum of common interest.

If this is do-able, it might also serve as an umbrella-type format for not so frequently frequented forums with similar philosophy and/or origin and/or target clientele.  I'm thinking here of Benchmark plus this program recently posted about in New Info called SLSHealth, whose targets are older teens and young adults.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 05:23:44 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------