Author Topic: The 10 Priorities (from Biggest Job)  (Read 20516 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
The 10 Priorities (from Biggest Job)
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:03:54 AM »
I can't remember at the moment whether they're called Priorities or Principles. I'll call them "Priorities" as that is what they're called on my source for the copy and paste, but it seems to me I've heard them called "Principles" some place else. Hard to tell, and probably doesn't really matter anyway, unless you're at Hyde at the moment, as they seem to recycle many of these "potency enhancers" throughout whatever is the current lingo at any given time...

This first one wasn't there during my day, at least not in its featured framework. Don't get me wrong, "Truth" was, is, and always will be a biggie; it's the "Harmony" part that seems new to me. I think it is a deliberate attempt to differentiate themselves from the other "pseudo character educators" that may potentially misguide Hyde's marks.

As to the respective importance of truth vs. harmony, I had always thought it was "self-evident," save for those occasional crises of conscience that one wrestles with from time to time. But... given that the Oligarchy essentially absolves the plebes from having to interpret most of life's events themselves, they had better trash "Harmony" ...lest we get too complacent.

============================

Priority #1
Truth Over Harmony

Truth over Harmony is the foundation upon which all of the 10 Priorities rest. It speaks to our core as individuals, as partners, as family members and as educators. Putting the weight of our foot on the path of honesty is a lifelong challenge and journey.

We learn great lessons when we exercise the courage to trust the truth. We can also learn them on those occasions when we recognize that we have actually been guided by harmony.

As parents and educators, we need to ask ourselves: Which holds a higher value in my family or classroom: truth, dealing honestly with each other, or harmony, getting along with each other? Remember, the question is not which of these two ought to hold higher value, but which of these two is, in fact, valued more?

Many parents and teachers who believe they place their highest value on truth end up discovering that they work even harder to maintain a role as peacemaker in their families or schools. No matter how you express it - as honesty, integrity, or conscience, -- this priority stresses the importance of placing truth at the center of our lives. Truth must be the ultimate anchor.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 10:28:44 AM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 06:46:19 AM »
I was reading a piece on Pragmatism the other day.  The question the Pragmatist raise is whether the Truth is knowable except through experiment and observation.   The question that come to my mind is, "who is the arbiter of this Truth"  This dogma has some obvious flaws.  IT works as a tool for sorting out the dynamics of a dysfunctional family.  I seriously doubt is it practiced day to day at Hyde, a place where group cohesion is prized.  I think how ever that Joe opines on the difference between big truths and little truths. Little: you have something between your teeth Big: you are an an abusive overbearing bastard who's actions alienate people.  So I suppose in day to day life that heuristic is applied to make the principle work.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 08:49:50 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
The question that come to my mind is, "who is the arbiter of this Truth."

Interesting question. I'd also ask why truth and harmony are conceived as mutually exclusive. Is a truthful relationship always an embattled one? Conversely, is a harmonious relationship founded on lies and secrecy?  

I suppose there are contexts in which truth and harmony are opposites, as when Bob tells something about Alice that Alice does not want Bob to tell. Then indeed there is disharmony between Bob and Alice. Why should Joe encourage Bob to betray Alice's confidence? Joe would encourage Bob to betray Alice if Alice has opinions or behaviors that make her assimilation into Joe's group impossible.      

You pointed out that it is paradoxical that Hyde rejects harmony yet prizes group cohesion. I don't think that is a paradox. The bias for truth is eventually replaced by the bias for harmony. Truth is manifested in opposition to all who stand in the way of harmony. After the opposition is confronted and punished, the ground is cleared for the establishment of harmony. Indeed, the bias for harmony was predominant all along. When truth has run its course, harmony can be established. What is misleading is Hyde's professed preference for truth. The opposite is true!

Is harmony good? No, not as practiced at Hyde. On my account, harmony is homogeneity, conformity, cowardice, intolerance, zealousness, bullying, hypocrisy -- the successful outcome to the McCarthy trials.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »
After the opposition is confronted and punished, the ground is cleared for the establishment of harmony

Sounds like the dictatorship of the proletariat.  What I have observed is in the dynamic of groups that I have been apart of Truth and Harmony are poles. Not opposite  but when one is veered to it is sometimes to the detriment of the other.   If I am on a team or leading a team, I need to consider the goal of the team as the context of feedback I give to my team members also the overall effect of the feedback on the individual.  At any point in someone's development the "Truth" could be helpful or it could be harmful. Perhaps it is better to encourage some one who may be lacking in some aspect rather then offer a blunt assessment, especially so if they are dealing with self esteem issues. So as presented in the Hyde catachism, the "Truth" is a blunt instrument meant to shock the errant family/student into dealing with reality. At least that is the context in which I see it vis-a-vis Hyde.  I know that this technique is not completely successful.  Hyde places the onus for the success of its nostrums on the patient (Joe likes this metaphor), so clearly when the panacea does pan out it was not swallowed correctly.
 So to the extent that the truth is knowable, and I believe that extent is described to a large degree by the Pragmatists, the truth is that the Truth does not always work.  This is a Truth that is drowned out by the Harmony of the cohesive group of Hydites singing about the Truth.  This must be a prototype in story telling where the thing that is worshiped is betrayed by its very worship.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 09:49:52 AM »
    "Kids resent being brainwashed, but they recognize there is truth in my words." -Joseph Gauld
Hyde places the onus for the success of its nostrums on the patient (Joe likes this metaphor), so clearly when the panacea does pan out it was not swallowed correctly.

Hyde does consider the physician to be infallible.  I guess that is why he prefers to operate on teenagers, known to swallow correctly but a fraction of the time.  Malpractice insurance must be lower, since the frequent botched operations can always be blamed on the patient.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 11:26:06 AM »
Beat that metaphor to death!

I guess that is my beef with Hyde: its self appointed Popehood of the "Truth."  There is something inherently untruthful about it.  Oh well. I guess if you go there and it does not work it sucks to be you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 12:30:13 PM »
I went there.
it did not work.
it sucks to be me.

it must suck to be my parents too.

all Hyde feeds us are big lies
with little bits of truths mixd in!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 02:12:29 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
    "Kids resent being brainwashed, but they recognize there is truth in my words." -Joseph Gauld
Hyde places the onus for the success of its nostrums on the patient (Joe likes this metaphor), so clearly when the panacea does pan out it was not swallowed correctly.

Hyde does consider the physician to be infallible.  I guess that is why he prefers to operate on teenagers, known to swallow correctly but a fraction of the time.  Malpractice insurance must be lower, since the frequent botched operations can always be blamed on the patient.

There is a lot of truth in what Joe has to say.  But he is not infallible and has no more claim to know the "Truth" then any of the other carbon based life forms on this planet.
 "Beam Me up Scotty, this is a primitive culture that still has Joe Gaulds"

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »
Beat that metaphor to death!

I guess that is my beef with Hyde: its self appointed Popehood of the "Truth."  There is something inherently untruthful about it.  Oh well. I guess if you go there and it does not work it sucks to be you.
I went there.
it did not work.
it sucks to be me.

Well, sometimes it does suck to be me, but I rather like me, all things considered, despite apparently popular contention that I should not. And since I am the one who ends up spending the most time with me, I rather think my opinion counts more than the clamor of the mob.

--------------------

Okay, here's the second one.  I have to laugh, ha ha haaa, thinking about this one being applied at Hyde.  Too many rules?  oh pahleeze...  The hypocrisy just gets bigger and bigger...

Vis-s-vis applying the below to a single family situation... Aren't we splitting a few semantic hairs here?  Of course everyone knows that principles are at the core of most rules made.  DUH!  But rules are the short, sweet, and most practical in carrying out the principles in the day to day.  Maybe I find it a bit counter productive having a philosophical discussion about filial responsibilities and caring for the needs of one's fellow human being every time the garbage needs to be taken out.

Maybe this one needs to be filed under "Lame, Lame, and more Lame."

============================

Priority #2
Principles Over Rules

It is so easy to focus on rules, especially when things are starting to spin out of control. "There is no eating in THAT room, either!" Rules are not unimportant, but they will not take us where we want to go with our children. Instead, our primary focus should be to identify what is at the center of our family. If it is the behavior and actions of a particular person, we need to replace that with the specific principles we hold sacred, such as honesty, courage, etc. Rules placed at the center of the family allow us to focus only on the actions of our children. Principles at the center of the family place the focus on the entire family. Living up to principles is a lifelong process.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 02:49:37 PM »
Priority #2
Principles Over Rules

It is so easy to focus on rules, especially when things are starting to spin out of control. "There is no eating in THAT room, either!" Rules are not unimportant, but they will not take us where we want to go with our children. Instead, our primary focus should be to identify what is at the center of our family. If it is the behavior and actions of a particular person, we need to replace that with the specific principles we hold sacred, such as honesty, courage, etc. Rules placed at the center of the family allow us to focus only on the actions of our children. Principles at the center of the family place the focus on the entire family. Living up to principles is a lifelong process.

Rules are broken. Principles are inflicted.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
a song about truth
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 05:04:30 PM »
Hey Derek said it best:

Tell the truth. Tell me who's been fooling you?
Tell the truth. Who's been fooling who?

There you sit there, looking so cool
While the whole show is passing you by.
You better come to terms with your fellow men soon, cause...

The whole world is shaking now. Can't you feel it?
A new dawn is breaking now. Can't you see it?

Tell the truth. Tell me who's been fooling you

It doesn't matter just who you are,
Or where you're going or been.
Open your eyes and look into your heart.

I said see it, yeah, can't you see it?
Can't you see it, yeah, can't you see it?
I can see it, yeah.

Tell the truth. Tell me who's been fooling you

Hear what I say, 'cause every word is true.
You know I wouldn't tell you no lies.
Your time's coming, gonna be soon, boy.

I said see it, yeah, can't you see it?
Can't you see it, yeah, can't you see it?
I can see it, yeah.

This song was sung at Hyde at least one, played many times in a certain dorm room.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 05:06:34 PM »
oh yeahh  ... I can hear the slide of an alum's Uncle .... sweet

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 08:51:58 PM »

They say the good die young... Hopefully not all the good.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 07:32:58 AM »
What I have observed is in the dynamic of groups that I have been apart of Truth and Harmony are poles. Not opposite but when one is veered to it is sometimes to the detriment of the other. If I am on a team or leading a team, I need to consider the goal of the team as the context of feedback I give to my team members also the overall effect of the feedback on the individual.

The relation that truth bears to harmony is that of means to end. Of course, here one has to be careful to distinguish between individual harmony and collective harmony, as you started to do in your football example. A team captain who nails a teammate for a slack performance values truth over individual harmony. He values truth not as an end in itself but as a means of restoring collective (team) harmony. "Truth" over individual harmony, but collective harmony over "truth."

"Truth," for the sake of collective harmony, easily degenerates into the Gauld-given right to persecute anyone who doesn't jump on the Hyde bandwagon. The label "truth" is one of Hyde's many abuses of language. Their most elevating and comforting words are only pretense and delusion! That was one of the most instructive periods of my life -- learning not to accept words at face value. It was very educating for my whole life.

So to the extent that the truth is knowable, and I believe that extent is described to a large degree by the Pragmatists, the truth is that the Truth does not always work.

If you want to talk about Truth with a capital T and shed some light on Hyde, you might look into utilitarianism. Utilitarianism's highest imperative is that one do what is best for society. It was originated by Jeremy Bentham in the nineteenth century. Bentham's conception of utilitarianism is now called "act rationality." Young Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment killed the old moneylender because she was a bane on society, and because her money could be put to better social uses. Raskolnikov was a Benthamite. But no one wants a philosophy that sanctions murder. So John Stuart Mill came up with "rule rationality." There might be something in utilitarianism that is of relevance to Hyde.

Spok

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 07:57:37 AM »

They say the good die young... Hopefully not all the good.

Eat a peach and listen to Derek Trucks.  Now there is a boy that is doing some useful channeling.